• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think more half-life hinges on a VR game doing well, I think it's about them waiting for the right time and that right time never showing up.

That and the fact that Valve seemingly doesn't manage their employees very well, leading to high rates of project burnout. If HLVR does well, it might renew company interest in completing the series, but we'll see.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Star Wars 1313 seemed like the single-player SW game we all deserve.

Hopefully the new game can live up to some of that.
star wars 1313 looked boring as fuck, just an uncharted clone.

I don't think SW fans deserve such lack of creative imagination when you compare it to games like Republic Commando, KOTOR, Jedi Knight, and more.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I came to post "any SW related game (Rogue Squadron Wii, Battlefront 3, Star Wars 1313, Ragtag, ...)" but I am with you OP. Still not sure whether the gameplay is a vertical slice or not.
What I really liked was the non lethal option, something, even in 2019, is pretty rare to find.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
latest

I'll never lose my hope, I really want this game to happen at some point :'(

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound (rumor has it the game was cancelled in 2003)
Earthbound 64
Robotech: Crystal Dreams

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also, honorable mention to the Rogue Squadron collection for the Wii, which is rumored to be finished and just waiting to be leaked =/

www.youtube.com

Star Wars Rogue Leaders (Unreleased) Wii Trailer

Feast your eyes on gameplay from the completed -- but never released -- Rogue Squadron compilation for Nintendo Wii. This game was never officially announced...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The third Adam Jensen Deus Ex game from Eidos Montréal. It still burns.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to play StarCraft: Ghost yeaaaaaars ago at the GamesCom in Leipzig and had a total blast.
So it's this one and Silent Hills.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
OP got it right. Prey 2 checks all the boxes for "bitter game cancellation"

• Was, by multiple accounts, almost complete (e.g. had steam achievements)
  • Cancelled due to factors outside of game development (attempted hostile takeover of HumanHead by Bethesda/ZeniMax)
  • Had a concept+setting not replicated elsewhere (cyberpunk + bounty hunter)
Had the game not really existed yet, or if it was canceled because it couldn't come together as a cohesive game, or if there were plenty of similar games before/since, it wouldn't be so bad.

But it is so bad

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Rogue Leaders is it for me. Would have been awesome to see the best version of all the Rogue Squadron games and Factor 5 finally nail Wiimote lightsaber combat. Still pretty bummed about that one, hoping for a leak soon.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Mega Man Legends 3.

MML was the game that hooked me on gaming when I was a kid. I have said it before and I will say it again: I cried when it was announced and I also cried when it was cancelled. It was absolutely heartbreaking.

2nd spot would be Scalebound. I would have joined the X-Box family just for that title.

Luchsius

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who played Half-Life 2 for the first time after it was clear that episode 3 will never release, I'm still bitter with how the second episode left things.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Silent Hills, Scalebound, Okami 2, Deus Ex 5 have all been mentioned already.

How about The Lost? It was this story about (iirc) a mother going to rescue her daughter from Hell. I think basically all we ever got was a ton of concept art for it, and it probably was too ambitious and/or wouldn't have actually been fun, but the art looked *amazing*. Irrational was working on it circa 2003, I think, so the developer pedigree was actually pretty strong.
The Lost.

Was all set to be a modern take on dantes inferno. Dropped off the radar entirely then the assets were sold to some Indian studio who released something.

Also going to second Silent Hills. That pt has become more or less the standard for modern horror means the full game would have just be incredible.
My man.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Megaman Legends 3. It's one of the most iconic games of the PS1 and arguably one of the ones that aged the best graphically and it seemed and felt to me like the ticket that would help keep Megaman relevant in the 3D era of games as the X series slowly worsened in quality and the classic series seemed dormant. Legends 3 felt fresh, the platform choice was great, the aesthetic seemed as good as ever. Really a shame they cancelled it.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
Silent Hills, FEZ II, and the NCAA Football series. Projects like Santa Monica's new sci-fi IP, Insomniac's Monster Knight, and Deep Down were intriguing.

Seanlole

Oct 25, 2017
StarFox 2.

I still have that itch.

Yes, a lot of betas surfaced years later to play in emulators or even, repro carts.

Yes, Nintendo released the game for the SNES Classic 22 years after the original release date.

But i still have that itch of having a catridge with the actual, official release of StarFox 2 for Super Nintendo...

IN 1995.

Also, Half Life 2, ep. 3, and Megaman Legends 3.
Man, that hurts a lot.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Mother 3 localization and Bonk: Brink of Extinction. Bonk was done, but Konami just pulled the plug. I get that it probably wasn't the greatest game, but it would've been nice to see a new Bonk game, regardless.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man Legends 3, mostly because it's the only Mega Man "thing" I really like (tho I aughta get around to Battle Network one of these days).

Most every Star Wars game that's been canned

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Rayman Raving Rabbids.

Before it was a party game, Rayman Raving Rabbids was a 3D platformer or action/adventure type game and a true sequel to Rayman 2 by the same creators (who worked on Beyond Good & Evil after Rayman 2). Rayman 2's composer was involved as well. It was a (semi-)open-world game with gorgeous environments that you could explore on foot or by riding/flying/swimming with various animals. There were a ton of new coombat elements as well.

It had been in development for a while on PS2 devkits. Under pressure to deliver something for the Wii launch and seeing the Wii controller prototype, the team decided to drop everything they had and repurpose as much as possible for a party game. The rabbids became hugely successful so it must have been the right choice for Ubisoft, but this marked the end of the Rayman 3D platformer series.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue 2 for the dreamcast in the states. (even though since there are other platforms to play this on)

I loved Shenmue and was a Sega supporter so I thought it was a huge slap in the face to their fan base to cancel the DC version and make it an xbox exclusive.