• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
True Fantasy Live Online. I wouldn't say bitter though, just disappointed.

I still have the 2004 Christmas issue of OXM that detailed a bunch of games coming in the new year, like B.C and Citizen Zero. Teenage me read that little blurb and looked at the, maybe 2 screenshots for TFLO, so many times imagining of what that games was going to be.

Mother
Fucking

SCALEBOUND

That shit still hurts.
giphy.gif

Shenmue II's release on the Dreamcast in favor of an Xbox port instead.
Back in the day I imported the UK version on its release day. There is some argument that myself and others like me cannibalized the Xbox sales but I can't really say that's true since lots of importers, myself included, double dipped later when it was finally released on Xbox.

NeoPancho

Nov 3, 2017
Barbarian 3 (8 /16 bits computers), i don't know if the development of the game even got started but at the end of Barbarian II there was a text saying something like "See you in Barbarian 3!"... and i'm still waiting...

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if they would count as we still got numbered games, but for me it would be.

Original Resident Evil 4 and Original Resident Evil 5.

4 looked so much spookier and the atmosphere was crazy.

The original pitch for RE5 sounded a million times better than Released RE5.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
it will forever be half life 3. It is an utter cliche at this point and yet every time I replay black mesa or half life 2 the wounds feel fresh.

15 years this November since HL2. 15 goddamn years.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Starcraft Ghost
Warcraft Adventures

Warcraft Adventures was even done, but wasnt released because of it looking dated compared to Grim Fandango.. :S

Sartho

Jan 9, 2018
It's nice to see so many people picked Mega Man Legends 3. I loved the 1st two, and still play them every couple years or so.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I still think Prey 2 will magically appear in my inbox one day.

The original Battlefront 3, probably. That shit hurt when it got cancelled.

To be fair, it wasnt even announced hah.

BC on the original Xbox. The concept still sounds amazing to me.

BC from Peter Molyneux.

BC was an (open world?) prehistoric game that let you play as a caveman and dealt with dinosaurs and other caveman clans. It also had raptors with mohawks, no more needs to be said.

Some people have leaked early builds of the game, videos of which are on YouTube.

Sadly never all came together that well. Lots of fun concepts to play with though (and to be fair, Ive only played a few select builds).

Fear Effect: Inferno was the first cancelled game I followed for as long as I can remember. I loved the first two games, and scoured gaming mags (and eventually, the internet) all the time for any info.

What I found fun is a pitch for a sequel that took Inferno into consideration.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Prey 2 for me.

This trailer is still the coolest thing ever :

Some gameplay :

Basically, from my understanding, the game never got released because Bethesda tried to forcefully acquire the developers, Human Head, and pretty much sabotaged them and the game to do so.

What about you ?

Definitely this. I know a lot of ppl here liked the Prey we ended up getting but Human Head's looked much cooler to me

Nov 8, 2017
Sleeping Dogs 2. Sounded so amazing.
Sleeping Dogs 2. One of the best new IPs last gen. I wish they had been given a chance to make a sequel instead of remastering the game and working on Triad Wars.
I'll add Sleeping Dogs 2 as well not only because it would have been amazing but because Triad Wars killed the studio so there was never going to be a new Modnation Racers either. Two amazing games that never got the chance. Now I'm just sad.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound 64, followed by the release of Mother 3. Still waiting on a legitimate, localized version.
Yeah, EarthBound 64 still ignites my imagination.

Metroid Dread and StarCraft Ghost are also up there for me.

Oh! And Super Kid Icarus which was only mentioned like once in Nintendo Power which would have presumably been made by the same team as Super Metroid.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Finding out like a decade later that there was a FInal Fantasy tactics II but was dropped really crushed me.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
Silent Hills, If one hallway can be as entertaining as it was I can only imagine the whole game would have been crazy.

Sharpeye

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Tiberium, the canceled C&C first-person shooter/RTS game, was a very interesting concept. An FPS RTS game is also a sub-genre I feel that could have a lot of potential if done right.

Oct 28, 2017
Silent Hills. Based on the talent attached to the project & my experience with PT, I firmly believe that it could've been one of the greatest horror games ever made. I don't think I'll ever be entirely over it.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Very much, Prey 2

Also, every Legacy of Kain game that wasn't called "Nosgoth"

Also, Warcraft Adventures.

Oct 27, 2017
There was a barely-announced Twin Peaks NES game, or at least someone scammed Gamepro into reporting about it.

I'm still mad.

May 10, 2019
True Fantasy Live Online

Sure it's probably been surpassed by other mmo's and would have been dead by now but i think back to how much I loved Xbox Live back then and how absolutely amazing it would have been if this released. The memories I would have made.

Yeah, this one I would have played the hell out of when I basically lived in MMO lands.

As much as I really enjoy LET IT DIE, It would have been nice to see the original Lily Bergamo concept.

Then there's this. I was so into the first couple of Getaway games I was sure this was gonna be good. But nope. Never happened.

Waxyresidude

Oct 31, 2017
It's the THQ published Devil's Third for Xbox 360 and PS3.

The project underwent financial struggles after THQ faltered, which lead to a turbulent development cycle. Nintendo later offered to help the game reach the finish line but this came at the expense of making major sacrifices to get it running on less powerful Wii U hardware.