• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
The budget to afford this badass to voice and provide his likeness.

hiroyuki-sanada.jpg

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Some of the map icons will be shaped like samurai helmets and there might be other map icons with kanji on them.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Could have asked the same about Valhalla and the easy comparison to God of War. It brought a lot to the table. The environment is unique but it does have similar aesthetics. Assassins creed gameplay is unique and if it can tell a story worth while, it'll be good on its own. But we've been talking about AC going to feudal Japan since the first game came out and they still haven't gone there, so I'm not counting on it.

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
After playing Nioh 1 and 2 endlessly, I would rather stab my eyes out than have another story set around Oda. Particularity given the strange and creepy fan worship that seems to be wrapped around him.
I agree with you and the modern romance of his exploits are bordering on insanity, but the perspective is to look at Nobunaga Oda in the same light that Westerners may be more familiar with, such as Julius Caesar. Much like Caesar, some of Oda's tactics & warfare introductions changed the landscape of a region that was at the behest of "warlords" for over a century; something they had not really experienced for a thousand years.

Oda was a daimyo who; went toe-to-toe completely outnumbered with a huge force of the Imagawa and that battle was the catalyst for that powerful clan's ultimate demise, marched on the capital while his land's backside was completely open to clans such as Takeda and Hojo save for diplomacy measures, defeated the oft-lauded Takeda cavalry in one of the first major use of firearms in Japanese warfare, and literally could not have been stopped on the road of unification until he was "assassinated" by his general Mitsuhide.

There's a lot to say about the man but he was clearly a gifted tactician. Unfortunately as much as he excelled in military exploits, he was equally as vicious to his opponents. The same could be said of all the greatest military leaders throughout history. But without Oda's time & place in history, who knows what Japan could have been like; after all his life lead to the Tokugawa shogunate & Edo period, Bakumatsu turmoil, Meiji era & consequent Restoration, which leads to where Japan sits today. The ripples of Oda's choices, success, and demise run very deep.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
They need to go back to bigger/dense cities for Japan if they do it. I don't want another open world with small settlements like the last 3 games.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microtransactions and bloat.

Seriously though, Ubisoft's open world titles have nose dived in quality in recent times so I doubt they'd even be able to match the quality of something like GoT at this point, never mind offer anything new or worthwhile in any similar title.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ubisoft (a company still run by someone who protected the former top designer, a known sexpest and also the father of a studiohead who used BLM signs in a Tom Clancy game in a way only conspiracy theorists are actually talking about BLM) would as always clutter their game full of their usual shit, MTX and repetitive missions.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the last two, the ability to be a lesbian protagonist. Bam instantly a million times better than GoT.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha, a lot of cynical replies in this thread but I gotta agree. For a serious answer though - an emphasis on Japanese folklore and myth would set it apart from Got (though GoT did have that great MP mode that covered some of it). I think they'd be better off doing a Romance of the Three Kingdoms story in China.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Get the rights to Lady Snowblood and just make an open world Lady Snowblood game:

• Female protagonist.
  • Amazing Meiko Kaji music.
  • Fight scenes where you swing across chandeliers.
  • Stylish settings during the Meiji period.
  • Your sword is also an umbrella.
  • The sequel could use the greatest sequel subtitle ever put on film: "Love Song of Vengeance."
  • REVENGE!!!
Lady-Snowblood_1-Toho-Co.,-Ltd_450.jpg

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Its going to be a fight between them and the eventual Ghosts of Japan game.

Ghosts of Tsushima got so may tings so right that the eventual sequel will fix the issues and keep everything great from GoT.

If Ubi just do AC but in Japan, without al the cultural context GoT have, then I dont really see what they can add new to the table.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Big city enviroment and assassination/stealth focus. Creeping around the city at night through rooftops and murdering folk in silence is pretty much Tenchu. Make Assassin Creed Tenchu I guess.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not much, honestly. Its the same kind of game with worse combat. Itd be way bigger though.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Get the rights to Lady Snowblood and just make an open world Lady Snowblood game:

• Female protagonist.
  • The sequel could use the greatest sequel subtitle ever put on film: "Love Song of Vengeance."
  • REVENGE!!!

You have my umbrella.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Here are some easy ways to differentiate the games:
1) Set the game in the Edo period, rather than the twilight of the Kamakura period.
2) Have the game take place in one of the major cities of Japan at the time such as Edo or Kyoto.
3) Have a protagonist who is NOT a samurai! Radical, I know, but there are tons of options. A member of a rising merchant family, a Kabuki actor, or such would make a great character to fit a period where the samurai were sliding into irrelevancy.
4) Since the protagonist is someone who is legally barred from owning or carrying a sword, focus on more underhanded combat methods.

I doubt Ubisoft would go this route though. It would require stepping away from the stereotype that a game set in Japan has to be about samurai.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
A better game as long as they can reign in the playtime. To call AC repetitive in comparison to GoT is fucking hilarious.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how Ubisoft's shit is just forgotten.

I'd say a giant world that is well designed which I'd rather experience in the discovery tour. No joke here, retracing my steps around the Parthenon in a virtual tour and comparing it to pictures I took while in Athens was my fave moment in all of AC.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I meant they have the capacity to do so because they have more resources than Sucker Punch, although after the success of GoT I wouldn't be surprised if the inevitable GoT 2 winds up becoming the best looking open world game of all time when it releases. GoT already has one of the most amazing artstyles in an open world game, if not the best, so I'm drooling just imagining how a PS5-exclusive GoT 2 is going to look.
Then again, last generation Ubisoft gave us Unity as the first AC game, which despite all its flaws is to this day, after 7 years, still one of the best looking games out there, so maybe if they decide to get back to making decent games they also work on the IQ, which has somehow declined since Origins.
I totally agree. I said a similar thing about the difference in image quality between early PS4 gen Ubi and current day Ubi in a different thread.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here are some easy ways to differentiate the games:
1) Set the game in the Edo period, rather than the twilight of the Kamakura period.
2) Have the game take place in one of the major cities of Japan at the time such as Edo or Kyoto.
3) Have a protagonist who is NOT a samurai! Radical, I know, but there are tons of options. A member of a rising merchant family, a Kabuki actor, or such would make a great character to fit a period where the samurai were sliding into irrelevancy.
4) Since the protagonist is someone who is legally barred from owning or carrying a sword, focus on more underhanded combat methods.

I doubt Ubisoft would go this route though. It would require stepping away from the stereotype that a game set in Japan has to be about samurai.
All of this is great, Ubi listen!

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Combat that consists of more than pressing triangle HEYOOOO

I don't know if Ubisoft is the one to do it, but GoT was far from the perfect samurai/ninja/feudal Japan game. It didn't even have any real towns, every hub was just the same vendors with limited interaction with the others.

One thing Ubisoft is good at is leaning into history. In GoT, a lot of the complex political, religious, and cultural elements were fairly sanitized to make it easier to follow. Compare it to NiOh which goes full bore with embracing the minutia of feudal Japan.

Someone should make an open world game with NiOh combat is what I'm saying.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
More than one weapon, more and better traversal (free climbing, boats...), more dialogue options, a progression system that doesn't stop halfway through the game, more things to find in the game besides copy-pasted Inari shrines...

There are plenty of ways for Ubisoft to make a samurai game better than Ghost of Tsushima.

The issue is that Ubisoft can't design a combat system to save their life. I platiniumed Odyssey and didn't enjoy any minute of the combat.

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
It's good to have historical video games, Ubisoft's combat compared to sucker punch's is downhill, Jin in Ghost is a BEAST.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I wondered the same about Odyssey and later Valhalla and they always end up doing the same assassin creed but with different names

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Decent stealth

Edit: a lot of these snarky posts are weird "ubisoft woud make it a generic open world game!"

Like.. .ghosts of tsushima??

Last edited:

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Anything i would say Ubisoft could improve upon I'd just rather sucker punch improve upon it in a sequel

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017

• Female protagonist.
  • REVENGE!!!
I love this movie so much

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
They should go back to the "dense city" formula, as it would make for a totally different experience that GoT.

We could get better parkour, more of a reliance on stealth, and overall just have a different vibe.

If they try to do Japan and stick with the big open world rpg type formula, it would feel way too similar.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Actual fun samurai combat full of Vergil-style anime goodness, a story that doesn't evolve around avenging a dead parent, a bunch of microtransactions to waste people's time, and make it set closer to the modern age.

myojinsoga

Oct 29, 2017
Some interesting suggestions in amongst the sodium ...

Funny I was wondering this today myself. Still very early on in Odyssey, haven't played GoT. But as an OG Tenchu nut I would love it if they fleshed out the stealth. Like it's fine, but there's so many ways it could be better. Gimme plenty of big castles and temples and mansions and the rest of the template falls straight back into place.

Lots of AC hate but as a newcomer I have loved being able to just wander around and let the world do its thing.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
another time period will be interesting like the meiji restoration, but with ghost i kinda ok with another asian country receiving a game, imperial china would be interesting (i know about the side scroller one)

OP
OP
Genetrik

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Could have asked the same about Valhalla and the easy comparison to God of War. It brought a lot to the table. The environment is unique but it does have similar aesthetics. Assassins creed gameplay is unique and if it can tell a story worth while, it'll be good on its own. But we've been talking about AC going to feudal Japan since the first game came out and they still haven't gone there, so I'm not counting on it.
Even though the games are quite different, I do like the comparison between God of War and Valhalla, as it shows how different action games within the same setting can ultimate be.

I think in the end, there would be the potential that this theoretical game could bring something new to the table especially with a new graphics engine. As someone said before me, Unity still remains a graphical showcase even now (ignoring the technical issues).

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
2021 and we still get hot takes about repetitive collectibles in a thread where we're comparing modern AC to a game that has insanely repetitive collectible hunting that people thought would be revolutionary because "wind isn't a waypoint." When modern AC relies way less on waypoints and following map icons for the last...four years? 😅

I still get flashbacks from that thread where people slowly came to the realization that GoT would have incredibly standard and obviously Ubisoft inspired design tropes. People have always been weird about GoT. Expecting it to be a BOTW tier game, expecting it to revolutionize open world games, expecting it to not have any open world tropes whatsoever, or for some reason pitting it against TLOU2, etc.

And yes I blame the vagueness of the marketing pre actual gameplay debut for that, (especially when it came to how misleading the e3 demo was about the quality and presentation of the game's many many repetitive sidequests..).

A modern AC game wouldn't feel as cinematic as GoT, but there would definitely be more going on during the moment to moment gameplay. A better realized world. And most likely a much more obsessive attempt at "authenticity" than...making everyone wear samurai armor because it's what people expect from a game set in Japan regardless of the time period. AI would definitely be a huge step up because GoT's AI is so limited that it genuinely doesn't have a proper response to things like players climbing and staying on a ladder. Even as far back as AC1 the enemies would at least throw rocks. GoT, like Days Gone and HZD before it, in a lot of ways feels like a developer's first attempt at the Ubisoft open world game™ design template. And as such i'm so curious about how each of the sequels to those titles will turn out.
All of this. Like, GoT is incredible, let's not get anything twisted, but a well-done Assassin's Creed game set in Japan would absolutely have GoT's lunch and dessert in terms of scale, authenticity, world building, population, stuff to do and see, traversal, etc. Again, it's absolutely bizarre how people talk about AC, as if neither Origins nor Odyssey, or hell, even Valhalla aren't incredible games.

Outside of probably the combat, and sheer flair and style that GoT has, a Japanese AC would most definitely be a superior game, unless Ubisoft seriously screwed it up.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
A more detailed world. GoT has some pretty spots, but I found the world felt pretty empty and artifical. I am also not a fan of how the world in GoT feels like it's made out of plastic.

But honestly, I want an AC game in Japan to be set in the Meiji era, I find that history around this period to be more interesting.