• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wanted to discuss this, in these trying and revolutionary times. I think it's a fair question, given our rather unique and largely (in modern times) unmolested integration into US society. The idea came after a Zoom call with a few of my other first-generation Asian friends.

I don't know if this deserved its own thread. I know my voice isn't the kind that needs to be heard right now. But I knew it was going to be long, so I didn't want to potentially derail some other ongoing discussions about, well, all of the turbulence in our country right now - and how it all seems to be affecting Black Americans more than anyone else.

To start, I think we should first point out some obvious aspects of the typical Asian experience in the US and how it contrasts starkly to that of black families who have been here for far, far longer:​

• Let's address the Model Minority stereotype, not hide from it. There's a reason that stereotype exists. Speaking from experience and those of my over 20 other Asian friends whose origins lay all over the globe, from Korea to Hawaii to Pakistan to Cambodia, many of us had parents and/or grandparents who simply wanted to keep their heads down, integrate, suffer silently with the casual racism in media – and yet thrive despite it. I don't blame them. The US is a viciously racist country and I can't fault an Asian immigrant, still learning the language and appearing absolutely foreign to common US sensibilities, for just wanting to be left alone and live their lives.

It's why so many of us, even first generation, even bilingual or trilingual, have white people accents (for lack of a better phrase). Many of us straight up sound, dress, and present "preppy", in point of fact.

This is a true, and I think rather funny, apropos anecdote: not long ago I was joining a group for some PS4 game with a bunch of other ResetERA members. Upon joining the group I greeted everyone with a "Yo, what's up going on guys?". A man with a UK accent started laughing and said "I just heard the most American-sounding guy ever". And everyone else chuckled.

My mother is from Ireland, my father was fresh off the boat from Manilla - arriving to join the Navy for a better life back in 1975. And here I am, their first-generation son on this soil, and I am "the most American-sounding" person this guy had ever heard. Casual observations like this speaks to, I think, how rapidly we Asians were able to integrate into and thrive in this society because we were unshackled by the systemic chains that have kept generations upon generations of Black people left behind.

• Asian households in the US enjoy, by far, the highest median household income of any racial group. We possess a frightening amount of wealth considering that many of our parents or grandparents only arrived here thirty or forty years ago. That figure is over twice that of black households. So let's not forget that stark figure when someone calls us a chink, or mistakes us for a Latino (has happened to me many times) and tells us to go back to Mexico. Such small affronts pale in comparison to what Blacks face daily, while we are free to smugly laugh it off, knowing we're probably better educated and far wealthier than that redneck who just slighted us. Most Blacks in the US don't have that privilege. Sometimes the people slighting them are cops, or potential employers, or politicians. We simply cannot relate to that.

• Within society and culturally at large, Blacks have always had our backs. Ignoring the few localized incidents of static in the past (always our fault, by the way – looking at you Korean lady who murdered a black teenage girl in cold blood in the 90's), they pretty much welcomed us with open arms into their neighborhoods to open businesses and invited us into their culture - be it the hip hop scene of Brooklyn or the laid-back lifestyle and proclivities of Creole Louisiana. You Filipinos like to ball? Hell yea we do brotha. We have summer leagues where our neighborhoods go up against each other, talk shit and insult each other's families, but when it's all over we all eat lumpia and pancit together afterwards. Sound familiar? Despite having stark differences, we have shared experiences that crosses race and culture – I think unique, at least in my part of the US, between Blacks and Asians.

White people didn't embrace us like that. They called us ching chongs, made mockeries of us in major blockbuster media like Breakfast at Tiffany's or Mad TV, hired us to play savage depictions of Native Americans, etc. But when it comes time to hire an engineer, computer programmer, math teacher, doctor or nurse, dentist, scientist, well stand back – here comes the welcoming arms of corporate America and the often feigned embrace of white America towards us when we can do something they need done to either earn more money or improve their health. JK Rowling named her only Asian character fucking Cho Chang. But I digress.

• Now that that's out of the way, how Blacks have historically embraced us while no one else did, I think it's fair to discuss our place in this US society and how quiet many of us have been.

An Indian friend put it well: she said we Asians in the US kind of feel like window dressing. Extras in some grand long running TV show. Background characters, observing all of the terrible shit happening to Blacks and Latinos while we just watch – almost ignored. Look pretty. Be smart. But shut the fuck up.

Meanwhile we do hold more power to help Blacks than I think many realize. We can comfortably donate to bail funds, Black Lives Matter, the ACLU, et al. We can speak up when the lone Black woman or man in the corporate boardroom meeting has their input ignored. White people, including most importantly the police brass and politicians, listen to us. They take us seriously. We're "one of the good ones" to many of them. Hell, it was a Vietnamese cop that helped to slowly and heartlessly murder George Floyd. Tulsi Gabbard is a fucking Democrat. What?
So, in fear of ambling off into rambling territory, I just wanted to ask of the Black and Asian US communities here on Era: what more can we do? How better can we help? Because it kind of feels like we're in a unique position to really tip the scales.​

Nov 5, 2017
And further (not to hijack), what can we do to help our Asian brothers? The misrepresentation and under-representation is real.

This is very true. I think the reason we are so heavily underrepresented is that we don't really take the time to participate in the political process. There is also the stereotype that all Asians are successful and since we are so successful, why do we need political representation? We are doing just fine is the mindset, which needs to change.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Call out racismwhen your family and friends say something racist. Unfortunately I've had to do this overtime last week.

The amount of hidden racism is pretty remarkable. Thankfully I was able to get my points across and made some people think.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Asian (Far East) myself and deflecting racism towards Blacks to White folks is disingenuous. As an Asian, I feel like asians are some of the most racist out there. I'm legitimately serious. Trying to say white people are any less racist than asian is laughable.

Yeah, I feel like the black community has shown me the least racism. The most I've gotten was from the Mexican community.

On topic, I honestly don't know. A lot of Asians are racist but won't admit it. But I believe it has progressively gotten better. I know a few asian friends that have posted BLM hashtags and I personally know that they're full of bullshit.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to say you're probably not gonna get a lot of replies due to the feeling that the responsibility for answering your question is on you (and that feeling is justified)

Aside from that, my advice is to read some literature, follow as many people on social media as you can, listen to what they have to say, then form your answer.

The TLDR is - call out racism, attempt to educate the people around you when they say some wack shit.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i am white but personally i find it difficult to really understand how to parse asian americans in american racecraft since it just seems to be an "other" category that is not clearly defined and jumbles together so many different people without much rhyme or reason that it feels almost nonsensical to even think of it as something that can be defined in singularity - like what does an indian, chinese and filipino person have to do with each other? each are from exceedingly different cultures, yet are all considered "asian" in us parlance. i would probably think that in this lens, it's extremely improbable that there is any particular message you could give to something this broad and vague, or any particular direction in terms of racial thought.

there are certain ethnicities considered asian that make much less than the average person (such as the hmong), while at the same time you have many that make much, much more than the average person. you have certain ethnicities that would more likely be considered "middle eastern" by many that also have very little to do with the rest of the asian diaspora. there are some asian communities that seem much more heavily aligned with conservatism than others, while others remain more neutral or democratic leaning.

overall, i think trying to send a unified message of support towards black lives matters/human rights/civil rights etc is obviously the right message, but trying to get more specific than that cannot really be done with how the us census defines race in regards to asians

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I wanted to discuss this, in these trying and revolutionary times. I think it's a fair question, given our rather unique and largely (in modern times) unmolested integration into US society. The idea came after a Zoom call with a few of my other first-generation Asian friends.

I don't know if this deserved its own thread. I know my voice isn't the kind that needs to be heard right now. But I knew it was going to be long, so I didn't want to potentially derail some other ongoing discussions about, well, all of the turbulence in our country right now - and how it all seems to be affecting Black Americans more than anyone else.

To start, I think we should first point out some obvious aspects of the typical Asian experience in the US and how it contrasts starkly to that of black families who have been here for far, far longer:

• Let's address the Model Minority stereotype, not hide from it. There's a reason that stereotype exists. Speaking from experience and those of my over 20 other Asian friends whose origins lay all over the globe, from Korea to Hawaii to Pakistan to Cambodia, many of us had parents and/or grandparents who simply wanted to keep their heads down, integrate, suffer silently with the casual racism in media – and yet thrive despite it. I don't blame them. The US is a viciously racist country and I can't fault an Asian immigrant, still learning the language and appearing absolutely foreign to common US sensibilities, for just wanting to be left alone and live their lives.

It's why so many of us, even first generation, even bilingual or trilingual, have white people accents (for lack of a better phrase). Many of us straight up sound, dress, and present "preppy", in point of fact.

This is a true, and I think rather funny, apropos anecdote: not long ago I was joining a group for some PS4 game with a bunch of other ResetERA members. Upon joining the group I greeted everyone with a "Yo, what's up going on guys?". A man with a UK accent started laughing and said "I just heard the most American-sounding guy ever". And everyone else chuckled.

My mother is from Ireland, my father was fresh off the boat from Manilla - arriving to join the Navy for a better life back in 1975. And here I am, their first-generation son on this soil, and I am "the most American-sounding" person this guy had ever heard. Casual observations like this speaks to, I think, how rapidly we Asians were able to integrate into and thrive in this society because we were unshackled by the systemic chains that have kept generations upon generations of Black people left behind.​

• Asian households in the US enjoy, by far, the highest median household income of any racial group. We possess a frightening amount of wealth considering that many of our parents or grandparents only arrived here thirty or forty years ago. That figure is over twice that of black households. So let's not forget that stark figure when someone calls us a chink, or mistakes us for a Latino (has happened to me many times) and tells us to go back to Mexico. Such small affronts pale in comparison to what Blacks face daily, while we are free to smugly laugh it off, knowing we're probably better educated and far wealthier than that redneck who just slighted us. Most Blacks in the US don't have that privilege. Sometimes the people slighting them are cops, or potential employers, or politicians. We simply cannot relate to that.​

• Within society and culturally at large, Blacks have always had our backs. Ignoring the few localized incidents of static in the past (always our fault, by the way – looking at you Korean lady who murdered a black teenage girl in cold blood in the 90's), they pretty much welcomed us with open arms into their neighborhoods to open businesses and invited us into their culture - be it the hip hop scene of Brooklyn or the laid-back lifestyle and proclivities of Creole Louisiana. You Filipinos like to ball? Hell yea we do brotha. We have summer leagues where our neighborhoods go up against each other, talk shit and insult each other's families, but when it's all over we all eat lumpia and pancit together afterwards. Sound familiar? Despite having stark differences, we have shared experiences that crosses race and culture – I think unique, at least in my part of the US, between Blacks and Asians.

White people didn't embrace us like that. They called us ching chongs, made mockeries of us in major blockbuster media like Breakfast at Tiffany's or Mad TV, hired us to play savage depictions of Native Americans, etc. But when it comes time to hire an engineer, computer programmer, math teacher, doctor or nurse, dentist, scientist, well stand back – here comes the welcoming arms of corporate America and the often feigned embrace of white America towards us when we can do something they need done to either earn more money or improve their health. JK Rowling named her only Asian character fucking Cho Chang. But I digress.​

• Now that that's out of the way, how Blacks have historically embraced us while no one else did, I think it's fair to discuss our place in this US society and how quiet many of us have been.

An Indian friend put it well: she said we Asians in the US kind of feel like window dressing. Extras in some grand long running TV show. Background characters, observing all of the terrible shit happening to Blacks and Latinos while we just watch – almost ignored. Look pretty. Be smart. But shut the fuck up.

Meanwhile we do hold more power to help Blacks than I think many realize. We can comfortably donate to bail funds, Black Lives Matter, the ACLU, et al. We can speak up when the lone Black woman or man in the corporate boardroom meeting has their input ignored. White people, including most importantly the police brass and politicians, listen to us. They take us seriously. We're "one of the good ones" to many of them. Hell, it was a Vietnamese cop that helped to slowly and heartlessly murder George Floyd. Tulsi Gabbard is a fucking Democrat. What?​
So, in fear of ambling off into rambling territory, I just wanted to ask of the Black and Asian US communities here on Era: what more can we do? How better can we help? Because it kind of feels like we're in a unique position to really tip the scales.

Dude, you are speaking to me. I'm not white, but I definitely feel I have a 'privilege' that many other minorities don't. I feel that some white people like to point to Asians and say 'see? They overcame their skin color etc'. I feel we don't get the amount of overt racism because whites find us 'useful' and/or 'not a threat'. Like you mention many older Asians just keep their head down and not want to cause trouble. I feel like I'm on the outside looking in.

I can donate money to black/social justice non-profits, I can stand with our black
Brothers, I can help amplify their voices across our social media channels. I can initiate voter registration drives and phone bank for candidates that favor causes that are important to blacks.

What more can I do? Where is the need?

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
If you can make your own parents and siblings less racists it'll be like... winning 80% of the battle.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I felt like there are also racism towards Asian ppl too, just not to the same level but since this pandemic has started, it seems to be worse than before....

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I felt like there are also racism towards Asian ppl too, just not to the same level but since this pandemic has started, it seems to be worse than before....
Oh definitely, COVID-19 is a real eye opener. If people forgot that racism against Asians exist in America, it definitely reared its up head up again.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Oh there absolutely has been an anti-China/anti-Asian spike (because all Asians are Chinese ya know)

But the injustice of black Americans In this country pushes that to the back burner for me.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, I think this is required reading.

For myself, I have the following points:
  • Asian Americans have one of the highest levels, if not the highest levels of inequality in America. We make up the ultra rich and ultra poor. The fact that we make up a significant portion of the poor and disenfranchised means that we need to share the plight of Blacks and support their causes.
  • Protest and revolt are the only tools left to people who are silenced and are never listened to. Point to our own times in history where our own people have risen up in protest for righteous causes.
  • Use our privilege to give Black and other PoC voices to speak. Support when you can, but do not speak over them or speak for them.
  • Again, from privilege: uplifting Blacks does not mean a loss of our own privilege. This needs to be reinforced in immigrant families and neighbourhoods, as many immigrants strangely do not support policies that favor PoCs and other immigrants.
  • Recognize that our own privilege is conditional, and that our place in Western society is conditional too. Supporting other PoCs and removing racial barriers mean that we can join greater society in more meaningful ways.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Yes, I think this is required reading.

For myself, I have the following points:
  • Asian Americans have one of the highest levels, if not the highest levels of inequality in America. We make up the ultra rich and ultra poor. The fact that we make up a significant portion of the poor and disenfranchised means that we need to share the plight of Blacks and support their causes.
  • Protest and revolt are the only tools left to people who are silenced and are never listened to. Point to our own times in history where our own people have risen up in protest for righteous causes.
  • Use our privilege to give Black and other PoC voices to speak. Support when you can, but do not speak over them or speak for them.
  • Again, from privilege: uplifting Blacks does not mean a loss of our own privilege. This needs to be reinforced in immigrant families and neighbourhoods, as many immigrants strangely do not support policies that favor PoCs and other immigrants.
  • Recognize that our own privilege is conditional, and that our place in Western society is conditional too. Supporting other PoCs and removing racial barriers mean that we can join greater society in more meaningful ways.
This is a fantastic post. Agree with all of it.

As someone who is half-Asian, but who, quite frankly, looks fairly white, I consider myself white on a lot of these issues because I don't often experience the racism (subtle or otherwise) that Asians do because of how they look. Which is a sad reality.

I'm trying to do my part to learn, protest with, and support the black community while not forgetting my own heritage.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, this is an important conversation, and definitely one that should happen! I'm currently a part of a dance community that's mostly Asian, and only then is the second biggest ethnic group Black folk. So I've had this conversation a lot in the past couple weeks.

I think the biggest take away, since most of my Asian friends are first-generation, is having those discussions within their immigrant families about BLM and how its a movement that everything to do with immigrants, who might otherwise say, "not my problem." I feel like the issue can seem difficult, and (as a child of immigrants myself) immigrants can sometimes view things through a simple binary that does a disservice to the conversation around BLM and police violence.

As for Dreams-Visions point, I would also like to know what you think ally-ship from the Black community to our Asian brothers and sisters should look like? This can be an important time for us all to learn and grow closer.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
One strategy that worked well is basically trying to frame the current black experience to past transgressions against Asian-Americans by the US government. Basically I ask people how would they feel if the Japanese concentration camps, the immigration bar to Filipinos, the creation of Chinatowns etc were still happening today. I

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I don't know how Asian Americans could ever feel like they're privileged when you know people wouldn't hesitate to make fun of your language, eyes and dick in front of you.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Only about this part...
White people, including most importantly the police brass and politicians, listen to us. They take us seriously. We're "one of the good ones" to many of them.

If you mean the legit rich Asians that donate to city officals... have dinner with them (I know one)... then maybe.... but everyone else... yeaaah I wouldn't get too comfortable thinking you'd get taken seriously... and you wouldn't be "one of the good ones" much longer.

But giving vocal support in meetings... in the work place.....yes, I agree it would be beneficial.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
I don't know how Asian Americans could ever feel like they're privileged when you know people wouldn't hesitate to make fun of your language, eyes and dick in front of you.

For some, it's an oppression Olympics, aka. As long as we're not getting lynched, or killed by police in broad daylight, then we are better off then Blacks. So just like the moderate whites that are more concerned with maintaining status quo, there are Asians and other POC that are fine with the status quo because they are not at the bottom of the POC totem pole.

Which imo...is just plain bullshit, since what they do to blacks will come back and impact other POC sooner or later.

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Call out the bullshit you see in your own community and family (Filipino, here). Remind your folks and your friends that just because we're not at the bottom of the totem pole doesn't mean white America actually likes us. We're in this together, donate to the movement or if you can go out there and protest too. The bullshit that happens to the black community can easily come around our way should white America ever feel like it.

Tear down the model minority myth because shutting up and putting your head down to try to get by only puts off tackling the actual issue, and we'll continue to be used as props for racist white folks to show how we rose above our skin color. Fuck that.

And if you get some racist shit tossed in your face, slap the shit out of them, do something, but don't laugh it off to make these redneck asshats think its ok. Taking punishment like good little minorities isn't gonna do shit for anyone.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotally speaking, wasn't the "model minority" a culturally manufactured perception?
Yup, primarily to further discriminate against black and brown people and serve as a wedge between the communities. Asian immigrants and Asian Americans were coaxed and conned into looking down at black people for not "making it" while they could do it despite the fact that they were being significantly discriminated against at the same time.

But they were afforded the opportunity to make businesses and thrive, everyone else had their shit firebombed and raided.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, primarily to further discriminate against black and brown people and serve as a wedge between the communities. Asian immigrants and Asian Americans were coaxed and conned into looking down at black people for not "making it" while they could do it despite the fact that they were being significantly discriminated against at the same time.

But they were afforded the opportunity to make businesses and thrive, everyone else had their shit firebombed and raided.

I should also add that it's only specific Asian immigrants that are afforded this opportunity too. There are some good infographs in this article:

www.nytimes.com

How ‘Crazy Rich’ Asians Have Led to the Largest Income Gap in the U.S. (Published 2018)

“Crazy Rich Asians” offers an extreme example of prosperity, but a study shows that Asian-Americans are the most economically divided racial group in the United States.

edit: Much of the data from the article was taken from https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/201...-the-u-s-is-rising-most-rapidly-among-asians/

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
cops and politicians kill us less so we should understand that, although we are belittled and dehumanized, although we experience our own challenges, we exist on a gradient that is not quite as dire as the ones black americans face and we shouldn't act like it is. we do have our own degree of privilege, our average (and i do emphasize average) wealth, and in a kind of sad turn, asian people are perceived as harmless push-overs not to be taken seriously, which means our every action is not going to be over-scrutinized into the most violent possibility.

of course, i reject the idea that we should flip completely on this to see us as just barely under white people in terms of privilege. we're still a couple weeks out from trump calling covid 'the china virus', and in the midst of a huge spike in anti-asian hate crimes. the history of asian people in the west has always been a story of conditional tolerance and that tolerance has been repeatedly revoked. our position has always been one of precarity, just as every minority community is. white supremacy uses asian folk as a wedge for solidarity and we should do everything we can to reject positions that attempt to validate that, from people inside and outside the community.

for what we can do, specifically inside our communities, i think something we should be doing more of is just having these conversations about race with our parents. i think these are hard conversations especially since there's a much stronger tendency toward parental deference among us (and a shared understanding over that) but a lot of first generation immigrants have lived entirely in their own community bubbles because of shared language and culture and experience, and so wound up being extremely disconnected from the struggles that other communities have experienced. it's worth it to try and have them understand what those communities go through and why there's been so much pain and anger that's exploded out now.

for what we can do in general, it's not much different from what everyone should be doing. stand with black folk. stand with other minority folk. march with them. we should not use BLM as a soapbox for anti-asian racism, but we can use our shared experience of racism and act in solidarity for the end of white supremacy. that we can tear it down and raise each other up, collectively.

though being honest aside from doing what we can to address anti-blackness in our friends and family i don't know if there's anything particularly special asian folks can with our asian-ness to support black folks right now. i don't buy that white folk really believe the model minority thing. not to say it's not worth talking about it with our white colleagues either, just that there's nothing particularly special about our position that gives our words more weight.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Asian privilege definitely exist. I work as an independent contractor and the number of times that people just take my word for it without even checking my ID, etc, when I arrive at an office is pretty staggering.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It was hard explaining to my mom everything especially when she watches the Asian news channels everyday. It's basically watching Fox News because they always focus on the looting and riots when that's not even the problem. She's getting around to it, but it's going to be a while before she finally gets it. Thankfully, my dad understood

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
I'm disgusted to see many viet american in support of trump and the police. like how the fuck can you be so dense. you're on fb bitching about authority oppression in Vietnam all the time and the police in Vietnam wouldn't dare to do a tenth of what the pigs are doing now in the US

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

We experience bigotry no doubt, but we also benefit from various privileges, especially pertaining to the police. I learned this lesson when I was younger, walking downtown in a hoodie late a night. Cops will slowly drive up to you , see the colour of your skin, and drive off without bothering you. Other miniorities are not afforded that benefit of the doubt.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Personally, I really enjoyed this article and think it may be a good read for many Asian Americans.

I do think it's important to recognize that "hard work" isn't the ultimate answer to "why are Asian Americans the model minority."

Edit: & of course, I encourage anyone interested to check out Asian ERA OT thread. There's a few readings in the first post that address how the model minority stereotype only serves to further divide minorities, particularly the Asian and black minorities in the US.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hasan Minhaj goes into this a bit in this episode of The Patriot Act.

I'm not Asian, I'm black, but I found it quite powerful. Hasan Minhaj is a great ally to black folks in general and I appreciate him a lot.

Beyond that, I just want to thank you for making this thread, OP. We should all be allies to one another and try to be supportive and understanding of our unique struggles.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
though being honest aside from doing what we can to address anti-blackness in our friends and family i don't know if there's anything particularly special asian folks can with our asian-ness to support black folks right now. i don't buy that white folk really believe the model minority thing. not to say it's not worth talking about it with our white colleagues either, just that there's nothing particularly special about our position that gives our words more weight.

I think addressing anti-blackness within your community is key and shouldn't be overlooked. In the South, a ton of convenience stores and shops are run by asian people in black communities. The amount of times I've heard stories about my friends being followed around or urged to buy something and get out is...frustrating to say the least.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asian kids and teens can stop saying nigga around Black folks so much. The kids have no concept or filter, they say it around octogenarian Black folks too lol.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If you can make your own parents and siblings less racists it'll be like... winning 80% of the battle.
This was going to be my suggestion.

That and having more empathy and being more involved in the civil rights discussion. Hasan Minaj did a really excellent video on this and a lot of people from Asian backgrounds (I won't say most or all) have a very strong bias towards law and order without ever realizing the cost of the same because it is not impacting their own communities (though sometimes it does, like when that cop paralyzed that older Indian man and was found not guilty).

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Call out racismwhen your family and friends say something racist. Unfortunately I've had to do this overtime last week.

The amount of hidden racism is pretty remarkable. Thankfully I was able to get my points across and made some people think.

I've been fortunate with family and friends too. One brother is comfortable identifying as racist, and so he's a challenge. My view on people like him right now is that I don't think we need to get hung up on people who are entrenched in the racist ideology. He, of course, rejects the idea that he is "a racist' since he's not in the KKK, but he doesn't mind being "racist" all the time.

In the past, I think I have let myself become defeated by feeling like if I can't even convert someone like my brother, then how is it possible to convince anyone? But I realize now that mindset doesn't help anybody. All it does is let me off the hook from doing more.

So I agree that calling racism out, in and of itself, is very important for all of us to do. And to make sure we are not limiting ourselves in where we do that. And to also recognize we are battling an idea & a structure, which means the battle is larger than any one individual. Because it is everywhere. There's a lot of work to do.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure there's much more than what's already been said.

Donate, consider a continuous donation.
Call out your parents -- we know they usually mean well but can be extremely hard headed.
Join the protests and add to the voices out there.

Yeah, the Asian privilege definitely exist. I work as an independent contractor and the number of times that people just take my word for it without even checking my ID, etc, when I arrive at an office is pretty staggering.

I think of it as just flipping it around and using the prejudice or stereotype to your benefit. Waiting for your name to be called at a dr's office or elsewhere? No worries, it's your turn when they stutter and can't pronounce the name. Someone start associating you with some other asian dude they know? Awesome, go with it and use that goodwill (I used to live in Memphis and cannot tell you how many times people's face randomly lit up cause I had the same last name as a famous local wrestler, lol).

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how the older generation can get over the "lighter is better" thing. On several occasions while out with my toddlers, I've crossed paths with Asian people who have "complimented" their light skin. I'm cool and try to move past that part of the conversation when it happens but they might come across someone who will get pissed about it.

"They have mommy's skin, it's better!" in front of my whole family.
Where Do you live? I haven't heard this at all. What do you say to them?
In a multiracial area of NYC. There are Asian kids who grow up in the projects comfortable around Black people. I will tip my hat to them, they don't fear us and there's no racial tension but the youth are too relaxed with the N-word. I hear them use it more than the Black youth.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm disgusted to see many viet american in support of trump and the police. like how the fuck can you be so dense. you're on fb bitching about authority oppression in Vietnam all the time and the police in Vietnam wouldn't dare to do a tenth of what the pigs are doing now in the US
My parents are trump supporters since they "believe" trump is tough on China. I try explaining to them plenty of times but nonetheless.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't know how the older generation can get over the "lighter is better" thing. On several occasions while out with my toddlers, I've crossed paths with Asian people who have "complimented" their light skin. I'm cool and try to move past that part of the conversation when it happens but they might come across someone who will get pissed about it.

"They have mommy's skin, it's better!" in front of my whole family.

In a multiracial area of NYC. There are Asian kids who grow up in the projects comfortable around Black people. I will tip my hat to them, they don't fear us and there's no racial tension but the youth are too relaxed with the N-word. I hear them use it more than the Black youth.

My mom (She was born and raised in Korea) used to tell us she wanted us to marry white women, not asian women. Because she basically said, the lighter your skin color, the better it will be for you. I never understood that really when I was a teenager, but I get it now.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm so glad I grew up in the L.E.S. Right next to the projects and Chinatown.