• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 19, 2018
New personal laptop $700 range
2/10 - pretty necessary, been functioning only with my phone and work computer

peloton bike
9/10 - I should just get a knock off and save my money but...it's pretty

car radio console upgrade
6/10 - been meaning to do this for 2 years so I can have Bluetooth capabilities but why am I coming back to it just now?

animal crossing villager cards
30/10 absolute bullshit why am I so addicted to this game?

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Welp I wasn't going to buy anything with that stimulus check but thanks to Slickdeals ended up buying a new fridge from bestbuy at 50% off, still can't believe I got a new french door refrigerator for $600.

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
Considering trading my Macbook Pro with crap keyboard and first gen iPad Pro for one of the new iPad pros. This is totally pointless, but so is having a Macbook Pro when I only use my work computer.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've wanted one of these Kettle Pizza conversion kits for a couple years to turn my Weber kettle grill into a pizza oven. The kit shown in this video is $299, which is double what I spent on the Weber, but grilling season is upon us and I might just go ahead and bite the bullet.

8/10 bullshit

Diablo Rosso

Apr 18, 2018
Just got some Sony WH-1000XM3s. Didn't need them at all but damn they're good. I've also sent Sony pictures of my ears so I'm PS5 ready too.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A hoverboard for kids, any recommendations?

Oct 27, 2017
Don't start this discussion here. We have 3 dogs. 2 from a breeder, 1 we rescued. Every animal has it's own unique challenges associated with raising it, but they all need love and a good home. There is no "right thing" when it comes to giving an animal a forever home outside of making it happen.

That's very arguably wrong and there certainly is a better/right thing (adopting from a shelter) and a worse thing (supporting breeders). You can rationalize it all you want for your personal situation, but I'd also recommend that that other poster check out some kittens at a shelter. Especially this time of the year, there are so many.

Anyhow, I got a zojirushi rice cooker, which is medium levels of bullshit given I had an instant pot. Am kind of digging it so far tho

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not actually thinking about buying these things anymore, but a month or so ago I was:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077B9W343/?coliid=I3R5G5WAYMSZH3

I consider this 8/10 bullshit because I already have a make shift solution that works... for free. On the other hand, I do enough up working more from home, then this may end up being a little bit more of an important piece to my WFH set up.

Coffee Machine - I keep going back and forth on this one. My fear is that I buy it and then never use much again after going back to work. When I'm at home and need a small boost, I'd rather use my electric kettle and drink tea. This would be 2/10 bullshit.

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
I'm not actually thinking about buying these things anymore, but a month or so ago I was:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077B9W343/?coliid=I3R5G5WAYMSZH3

I consider this 8/10 bullshit because I already have a make shift solution that works... for free. On the other hand, I do enough up working more from home, then this may end up being a little bit more of an important piece to my WFH set up.

Coffee Machine - I keep going back and forth on this one. My fear is that I buy it and then never use much again after going back to work. When I'm at home and need a small boost, I'd rather use my electric kettle and drink tea. This would be 2/10 bullshit.
I was living off the coffee machine that we keep for whenever my out of state mother in law visits. Now on week 4 (5?) of mandatory work from home I have almost completely kicked my caffeine addiction. I don't know which way I am recommending for this.

Fin

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking of buying an EVGA RTX 2060 KO, for the sole reason that it somehow gets better CUDA performance than a regular 2060... and it's bullshit because I use CUDA applications 5% of the time at most.

Other bullshit things include a PS4 and FF7R, but I rarely play video games anymore. Oh and maybe an A6600, but that's bullshit because what I really need are lights.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Looking into purchasing a guitar. I already have a guitar but I want another.

Noel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Do I really need to buy this $750 Zenbook? My old laptop from 2011 just had the WiFi go and has been a little worse for wear refusing to even boot up at times. It would be nice to have something light to carry around the house when I need something a bit bigger than a phone, but I feel like if there's anything I need to use a computer for, I could just use my desktop.

7/10

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Do I really need to buy this $750 Zenbook? My old laptop from 2011 just had the WiFi go and has been a little worse for wear refusing to even boot up at times. It would be nice to have something light to carry around the house when I need something a bit bigger than a phone, but I feel like if there's anything I need to use a computer for, I could just use my desktop.

7/10
If you have a good desktop, then I definitely don't think there would be any need for laptop. Just make sure you have a solid monitor and keyboard to go along with it. 27 inch + 144 hz and mechanical keyboard were great upgrades for me and enhanced productivity.

For what you just describes above, the $300ish iPad seems like it would be a great fit: "something light to carry around the house when I need something a bit bigger than a phone". It's more mobile than a laptop, has better life, idles better than windows laptops (meaning battery drain is very very low and it's always ready for pick up and play), and probably better peformance in web browsing. This would be just a 6/10 bullshit and that Zenbook would be a 9/10.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought an Oculus Quest and the new iPhone SE. And 400 dollars of gardening equipment, plants. And a tree lol.

Thanks Donald!

Jan 16, 2019
I started a 4k steelbook collection lol, literally bought every mcu movie, star wars, and harry potter 1-8 and some pixar titles. Best buy has been having some crazy crazy sales. So made it a little more affordable, but still spent like $700 yeeesh. The funny thing is, I still pretty much only watch through movies anywhere/vudu. I just like how the steelbook looks and its cool having the 4k disc, atleast in my mind lmao.

I'm sure I'll eventually end up selling all of these but for now, the nice thing is I have a fat 4k movie digital collection too. So if i ever do decide to sell should get most of my money back and still have them digitally.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not BS, zojirushi rice cookers are awesome. But only if it has fuzzy logic.

It's full of fuzzy logic. Got this one:

9391909cv1a.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Also, words cannot describe how joyful the little jingles are when it starts and stops cooking.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gadgets between me and my girlfriend

Roomba
Oculus quest

Games for xbox/ps4/switch

Ff7 remake
Doom eternal
Animal crossing
Dbz Kakarot
Ghostbusters remastered
No mans sky
Disney classics collection: alladin and lion king
Yooka laylee and the impossible lair

For quest

Beat saber
Super hot vr
Wander vr
Tilt brush
Robo-recall unplugged
Vader immortal episode one

4k blu rays

it chapter 2
Harry potter 4k collection
Seven worlds, one planet
Jurassic world 5 film collection.

basically, im done buying anything for leisure until the xbox series x comes out.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the Baratza Encore for example tends to break at some point, like after 2 years or something, according to many reviews. Still on the fence.

That's possibly true. Powered means more parts could break. I bought my Baratza Preciso used 4 years ago, had to replace an adjustment ring once. But most of the parts are very easily replaceable.

Because if you drink a lot of coffee (or if you need to grind very fine), hand grinders are honestly a pain. I used a Hario coffee mill for a year, towards the end I just ended up grinding for 3-4 days at a time. -_-

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Dropped my phone recently and it cracked in the bottom right corner, nothing too annoying. So I'm thinking about getting a Note10.

It's full of fuzzy logic. Got this one:

9391909cv1a.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1000

Also, words cannot describe how joyful the little jingles are when it starts and stops cooking.

We have that rice cooker at home. I honestly love hearing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" every time my dad makes rice.

Today I entered (then withdrew) my name to buy a pair of sneakers... After shipping, it was going to cost me over $200.

...sadly I'm still debating on entering again because I still have time to enter. 😅

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
An ereader (Kobo Clara). But I dont read enough for it to be worth it. And I like paper books.

I keep looking at it though.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like a toaster oven just to make really nice toast. My in-laws have one which streams as well but we'd only use it for fluffy toast

8/10 bullshit - really don't need but it'd be really nice

Also can't believe it but considering the Magic keyboard. If I can hold out 3 months the feeling will pass

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I get a $300 bonus for working through the pandemic on May 8th, I got my $1200 relief, and I've had 3-4 paychecks just basically sitting in my account. I picked up a PS4 Pro last week (I know it's a silly purchase with the new consoles coming soon but I wanted one). I'm thinking I'll finally grab a 4K TV when my bonus drops, I'm looking at the 55" TCL Series 6 on Amazon atm.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I get a $300 bonus for working through the pandemic on May 8th, I got my $1200 relief, and I've had 3-4 paychecks just basically sitting in my account. I picked up a PS4 Pro last week (I know it's a silly purchase with the new consoles coming soon but I wanted one). I'm thinking I'll finally grab a 4K TV when my bonus drops, I'm looking at the 55" TCL Series 6 on Amazon atm.
If you can, spring for the 65 and see if you can get it from Costco. It is occasioanlly the same price for the 65 as the 55 is elsewhere.

ieu

Oct 26, 2017
Mid Wales
A $1,600 cat (a Scottish Fold kitten).

Please talk me off the ledge, Era.

See those cute little ears? That's because they've been bred to have malformed cartilage.
The very same stuff that's in all your joints.

Please look forward to euthanising your cat with early onset arthritis, "baked in" to their genes.

Edit: Sorry for taking the scorched earth approach, but please read up on any breed before you buy.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A box of pokemon tcg booster packs.

Too late, i already did. I play competitively though.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Some VST sample packs. Quality sounds are so fucking expensive but the stuff that comes with FL and Reason, even the higher-tier versions is just OK and the few cheaper packs I got FL is also very hit-or-miss.

Easily spend a grand on like two or three packs but I want to expand. Can never have enough sounds.

9/10 bullshit

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Just bought a mini microscope to play with my kid.
Screenshot-20200424-212221-e-Bay.jpg

Also a new rice cooker.
Screenshot-20200424-212049-Amazon-Shopping.jpg

My old one is 10 yrs old already.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if we get a second check, what additional bullshit are you buying

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
thinking of buying a piece of wood and making a new desk, like its a piece of Oak or Acacia and I'd need to finish it myself but sounds kinda fun.

i wanna buy computer parts as well. a new cpu and mobo. I shouldnt, but I wanna.

Oct 30, 2017
Final Fantasy games, probably XIII. I just beat Theatrhythm and now I want to play a modern but not new release FF game, that I haven't played before

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Resigned myself to spend about half the stimulus check since in my case, it really is just bonus money. Plus other stimulus money also "trickled down" to me as someone on eBay finally wound up buying a really expensive antique I had listed for like a year.

Bought myself a Nintendo Switch Lite, a couple games for it, and a BUNCH of alcohol. Since going out for a cocktail is now impossible I spent about 300 dollars on nice spirits and mixers to make a whole bunch of my favorite drinks, and I got a couple really nice bottles of scotch and bourbon for sipping, plus some wine. I'm not a big drinker but it's nice to have like probably 6 month's supply of cocktails and wine at the rate I go (3 drinks a week, maybe a little more now that it's so accessible).