• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm revisiting SM64 and I still just love everything about how these stages were designed. Doing them without any skips can still be quite long and complex and I'm trying to think if any others have surpassed these in size and scope. Sure some have obviously had better visuals but were these (SM64) peak design Bowser stages?

edit: I'm referring to stages, not just the fights themselves. Removed some I posted below that caused some confusion.

Some examples below.

SM64:

SMB3:

SuperMarioBros3Map8BowsersCastle.png

SM3DW:

World_Bowser_SM3DW.jpg

3DWorld_Bosses_Castle-Castle_2.jpg

NSMB Wii:

hqdefault.jpg

Super-Bowser-New-Super-Mario-Bros.-Wii.jpg

Super Mario Odyssey:

Last edited:

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
The final stage of super Mario Galaxy, if that counts. It's a magical level. An absolute joy and one of the peaks of the series.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
I will never forget how I felt, at eight years old, when I reached Bowser's Castle in SMB3 for the first time. My heart was racing. There were no save files or passwords or anything - and even if you grabbed the first two Warp Whistles to get to World 8 ASAP, you still had to get through all of that world's stages without getting a game over or turning off the console. At the time, my family had a single TV, my brother and I were only allowed to play games on weekends, Sunday was basically Football Only for my dad, etc. etc. so I got up early one Saturday morning to try and finally finish the game after owning it for months. It felt so intense, and I was so excited to finally beat the game. Good times.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
It's not quite a stage in of itself, but I love World Bowser as a location. Like look at that place. Would love to see it redone as a large open world level in the SM64/Sunshine/Odyssey style. Or a Mario Kart course.

As for individual level though, I guess I'd give it to Bowsers Galaxy Reactor.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely love the music in the Mario 64 Bowser levels.

The only other one that stands out in my kind is in 3D Land, climbing that circular staircase in the rain was really impressive back then (I think it was the Bowser level).

The 3D World levels are gorgeous with the Neon, and cat Bowser was pretty fun.

Actually thinking back, Super Mario DX for the Gameboy Color comes to mind.
Specifically the second hard playthrough (I think it was the Lost Levels/Japanese SMB2), the final Bowser level was insanely hard for me as a kid, but I managed to finish it.
The very beginning had a nearly blind jump that was super hard, and finding the right route took forever for me to figure out.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
If the escape in Odyssey counts then it's that, but that didn't feel like a full level to me.

I think the giant Bowser in NSMBWii is really cool. Idk why but I just found it impressive.

OP
OP
Kaeden

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
are we talking about "bowser stages" or "bowser fights"

the op has befuddled me
Yeah sorry about that, I edited the OP a bit to clarify that I am in fact asking about the stages themselves, not the fights although those of course can be included since they're sometimes part of the end of said stage. If it's just the fight itself, then yeah those wouldn't count.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Bowser Kingdom in Odyssey and World Bowser in 3D World are both incredible. Can't pick between them.

Between games, they went from flashy neon amusement park to a traditional Japanese theme, and knocked them both out of the park. So much more interesting than the usual grey castle with lava

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
I'd have to say a tie between Bowser in the Dark World and Bowser in the Sky (Mario 64).

Every music track involved is iconic. Somehow Bowser in the Fire Sea ends up just being "the middle one."

The church organ theme of the final Bowser fight was legitimately intimidating as a kid. Actually, it still is.
It's like a Final Fantasy boss theme escaped and snuck in a back door at Nintendo HQ.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Mario 64. Every bowser level felt like a huge deal. The color schemes, level layouts and that music just created a hell of a vibe

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
If the word is impression, either 3D World or Odyssey. They really knew how to end both games with a bing BANG.

But as a stage, Galaxy 1 is the best. SM64 final level's layout is also pretty memorable.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Bowser's Castle in Odyssey. One of the best levels in any videogame of all time.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually tempted a while back to make a topic on this for one simple reason; I think all of the Bowser levels (sans Corona Mountain) are fantastic at making an impression but one that gets lost in the conversation and is really underrated in my eyes is Bowser's Galaxy Generator.

This is one of those levels that's a stark example of being a "final exam" level. The game tests your mettle on several of Galaxy 2's new mechanics. You descend into the castle depths while doing some combat and platforming with old and new gimmicks from the Galaxy games, starting off with employing the Drill, then you have to do some Cloud Suit platforming, then you finally get an extended Yoshi gauntlet (the first time he follows you into the castle!). All while doing this, the setting of the level conveys the sheer scale Bowser has attained. It makes the player feel like an underdog.

In terms of sheer presentation I think 64's Bowser levels or Odyssey reign at the top for me, but this one deserves its dues.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if stages only refers to the 3D games, but for me it's the white brick visuals in Super Mario 1, and the developed extension in super mario world. Also both have iconic, memorable music

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The most ? Man I can't battling with Nostalgia :
  • SMB3 : I hear the music the moment I watch the map. I must have done or watch this level 50 times at least.
  • SM64 : It's a great level but you fight a little bit to much against the camera in that one. But nice fight.
  • Odyssey : I don't think there is a lot to say that wasn't said. I am glad they chose this type of settings and not relying to much on lava. Also, the only boss fight I enjoyed.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing has ever felt quite as epic as SMB3. It was the culmination of the hype surrounding the game, the entire journey through it, and the level itself. I imagine anyone playing it today for the first time won't quite have the same impact, it was a "you had to be there" type of thing.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Mario Odyssey's Bowser Castle. Such an incredible setting, plus it actually felt like I was actually storming through a castle at the end of a game.

Second place is Super Mario 3D World's Bowser world, which made a great impression with great music and a unique theme for a Mario game.

Third place is (3DS) Super Mario 3D Land's final level, which I really loved a lot for some reason.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Corona Mountain isn't even mentioned in the OP.

No one like Corona Mountain.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Bowser's galaxy generator is choice

Perfect final exam setup, dabbles in a bit of every new item/mechanic from smg2, god like music, that segment when you are on the snake block, the magmaargh pops up and you use yoshis's balloon berry to sail over is tops.

And Yoshi even waves you goodbye.

NotLiquid basically said this all better

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Super Mario Sunshine one, that and Super Mario World are the only two I've ever beat. Don't really like Mario style platformers.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Still have to play 3D World and Oddyssey, but Bowser Castle from SMB3 is an all time favorite of mine. And the overworld of W8 in SMW too. That music is so banging.