• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
So i've been watching some Bill Burr on youtube this week and i really want to watch more. Looks like he has five on Netflix so which one would you recommend watching first?

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia; Prior Severe Ban for Dismissive Commentary around Racism
Just watch them in order. I like to watch how somebodies comedy evolve over time.

I feel like Resetera probably about to rage against him though ITT.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Oh man, I don't know that this thread is gonna turn out well.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory False Equivalence; Dismissing Concerns of Transphobia
Quick, close this thread before Americans wake up and tell you how much Bill Burr sucks and how much Netflix sucks and how much everything sucks.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think his older ones are better, so I echo the sentiment to watch them in order

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Both me and my wife really liked Let It Go. The 2nd one has some solid laughs as well. Honestly don't remember much from the 3rd, and haven't seen the latest one yet.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
A reminder: Bill Burr is incredibly transphobic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-k5uiJ2B6U

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9AjnzK_Ss

Quick, close this thread before Americans wake up and tell you how much Bill Burr sucks and how much Netflix sucks and how much everything sucks.

You wouldn't have made this post if you weren't aware why people on Era dislike Burr and Netflix.

Which means you legitimately came into the thread just to preemptively dismiss concerns about transphobia.

Haunted

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I don't like Bill Burr and I don't enjoy the company he keeps.

There are plenty of better stand ups on Netflix to watch, imo.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the issue people have with both the topics you mentioned is transphobia, care to explain why it's fine with you?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Could watch a comedian who doesn't spend years leaning the same fears that have recently seen career paths and rights taken away from trans people. If you're desperate to watch Bill Burr though, I believe his latest special didn't have any transphobic elements and instead went on to talk about how abortion was killing babies. If that's your sort of thing.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
There's a cavalcade of usual faces that come in for threads pertaining to Harry Potter and certain standup comics that downplay/talk roundabout and pretend there isn't a discussion about transphobia going on. But you. I don't remember you.

I will now. I'll see you in a month+ for the next one.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Btw while you're at it, give "F is for Family" a shot. Probably one of my favourite shows on Netflix.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Could watch a comedian who doesn't spend years leaning the same fears that have recently seen career paths and rights taken away from trans people. If you're desperate to watch Bill Burr though, I believe his latest special didn't have any transphobic elements and instead went on to talk about how abortion was killing babies. If that's your sort of thing.
Bill Burr is a classic enlightened centrist about abortion, like many other topics. He's pro-choice but also believes you're killing babies in an abortion and argues against "it's not a baby/life yet" by comparing it to putting butter on a pan in the oven.

"It's not a baby yet," that's what they say, which may or may not be true. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I'll tell you, my gut tells me that doesn't make sense. It's not a baby yet. That would be like if I was making a cake and I poured some batter in a pan and I put it in the oven, and then five minutes later you came by and you grabbed the pan, you threw it across the floor. And I went, "What the fuck?! You just ruined my birthday cake." And then you're like, "Well, that wasn't a cake yet." It's like, "Well, it would have been." "If you didn't do what you just did, there would have been a cake in 50 minutes." "Something happened to that cake, you cake-murdering son of a bitch!"​
Right? Now, before all you pro-life people get excited, I think it's great you're killing your babies. It's fantastic. Help Mother Nature out. There's too many of us. It's been 130 degrees out. Animals are going extinct. There's plastic in the fuckin' ocean. We don't need any more fuckin' people.​
He's not getting great reviews for this latest special.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bill Burr is a classic enlightened centrist about abortion, like many other topics. He's pro-choice but also believes you're killing babies in an abortion and argues against "it's not a baby/life yet" by comparing it to putting butter on a pan in the oven.

"It's not a baby yet," that's what they say, which may or may not be true. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but I'll tell you, my gut tells me that doesn't make sense. It's not a baby yet. That would be like if I was making a cake and I poured some batter in a pan and I put it in the oven, and then five minutes later you came by and you grabbed the pan, you threw it across the floor. And I went, "What the fuck?! You just ruined my birthday cake." And then you're like, "Well, that wasn't a cake yet." It's like, "Well, it would have been." "If you didn't do what you just did, there would have been a cake in 50 minutes." "Something happened to that cake, you cake-murdering son of a bitch!"​
Right? Now, before all you pro-life people get excited, I think it's great you're killing your babies. It's fantastic. Help Mother Nature out. There's too many of us. It's been 130 degrees out. Animals are going extinct. There's plastic in the fuckin' ocean. We don't need any more fuckin' people.​

He's making a joke here. You do understand that making a joke and your actual opinion on things are 2 seperate things right?

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna pivot here and admit I've had Heidecker completely pass me by all these years, but I'm curious after that bit he did taking the piss out of the Joe Rogan show. The court case has me interested. Is there like, a watching guide for his stuff to make sure I do it in order and have context?
That special (and the Rogan parody) are stand-alone so you can watch them whenever you want. If you want to get into On Cinema — which is honestly a staggering comedy achievement but also not for everyone — this link gets posted a lot here: https://oncinematimeline.com/

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
He's making a joke here. You do understand that making a joke and your actual opinion on things are 2 seperate things right?
Making a joke about something like this, while womens rights on bodily autonomy are being rolled back en masse, isn't a good look. the backtrack isn't even a big backtrack to make the joke funny, it's more like he's anti-abortion and pro-death, not even centrist, just regular-ass right wing views.

And yeah, we all know he's making a joke, but there are people that idolize this transphobe, and will take his word as not a joke, but as fact, and regurgitate it verbatim at people while striping away any remnant of a joke. it's why punching down is bad.

Jul 26, 2018
A reminder: Bill Burr is incredibly transphobic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-k5uiJ2B6U

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN9AjnzK_Ss

You wouldn't have made this post if you weren't aware why people on Era dislike Burr and Netflix.

Which means you legitimately came into the thread just to preemptively dismiss concerns about transphobia.

Yep, this. I enjoyed the cartoon (F from Family?) quite a lot, then watched one of his shows and it was good. Then I learned about the rest and I decided I'd better drop it.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The problem with that "joke" is that it pushes the factually incorrect idea that an abortion is killing a baby.

It doesn't matter if it's a joke when the basis of it is propping up an idea that is harmful to people.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017

God, his "Now I'm no expert so whadda I know but" schtick is so one note and such a boring fucking conceit to set up every bigoted shit nugget he likes to drop on his audience.

He is an actual moron though, I'll give him that. I bet he stayed up several nights in a row crafting that metaphore.

To the best of my knowledge, abortions are generally not performed by shit comedians bursting uninvited into people's kitchens and if somebody wants to pour their own cake mix down the drain, what does this cunt care?

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
So i've been watching some Bill Burr on youtube this week and i really want to watch more. Looks like he has five on Netflix so which one would you recommend watching first?
I would definitely go in order, try to get the pre-netflix ones if you can. Most people tend to agree where his peak is, but its more fun seeing how an experienced touring comedian changes over time.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Red Rocks yet but I would just watch them in order as others have said.

May 14, 2021
Good luck watching them all and not getting immediately sick of his "What do I know, I'm just a dick." schtick. It's his way of not taking responsibility for his own opinions. As far as I could tell, the newest one wasn't transphobic, but it was par for the course for him. In other words it has its moments of good, bland, and unfunny.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna pivot here and admit I've had Heidecker completely pass me by all these years, but I'm curious after that bit he did taking the piss out of the Joe Rogan show. The court case has me interested. Is there like, a watching guide for his stuff to make sure I do it in order and have context?
So there's two paths you can take to really delve in:
You can delve into On Cinema, which is its own sort of universe where Heidecker is playing a character. It's about movies (it's not). You'll see that he sometimes tweets in character and sometimes doesn't. This is also why you'll randomly see someone post things like "tim is a murderer and he doesn't even watch movies", because people post 'in-universe'.
https://oncinematimeline.com (you can skip the podcasts)
It's pretty wild and there's a lot, but it's become such a... high level art project at this point essentially.

Or you can check out his podcast, Office Hours. I haven't gotten into it as much, but at its core it's a call-in show of sorts. Plus interviews, etc. It's basically his take on doing a Howard Stern kind of thing. I haven't found a good starting place for it honestly, so I've skipped around a bunch.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend and I found his latest one funny when we randomly decided to put it on the other day and that's the one the critics apparently weren't keen on. Not seen any of his other stuff.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I'd watch them all, they're all hilarious for the most part. And it's fun to see Bill's growth in a lot of ways as his personal life develops.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
You will have to come to terms with Bill Burr's transphobia.

There's his shitty joke about having a transgender pilot's "discarded dick blocking the airway" in the Top Gun reboot, as if that makes sense?
ew.com

The 5 most outrageous jokes from Bill Burr's Netflix comedy special 'Paper Tiger'

Bill Burr holds nothing back in his new Netflix comedy special 'Paper Tiger.' Here are some of his most outrageous jokes.

There's his old rant about Caitlyn Jenner from Conan where he laments that the transition happened, and repeatedly misgenders her (using "he/him"):

And there's him calling transgender athletes "dickless dudes" who shouldn't be allowed to compete:

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

You can argue that each time he says he's "fine" or "okay" with people being transgender, in some flip "do whatever" kind of way, and always softens the blow with an "I could be wrong!" at the end. But the wrapping of such hard-punching jokes in that kind of mild, grudging acceptance really doesn't sweeten the deal much and is setting the bar a little low.

He doesn't seem as out there as Chapelle about it, who literally says "I'm team TERF" and "gender is a fact" and will just go on about it for 20 minutes. Or Gervais, who keeps making The One Joke. But that's also a very low bar. And it gets old hearing the "WOULD YOU ALLOW TRANS FEMALE MMA FIGHTERS???" trope, because it's a dumb cudgel that is used to invalidate people's identity.

Last edited:

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
He's done some more mainstream commercial work that might be more your style.

View: https://youtu.be/2lPX5b9m7ro

My guy.....

cover3.jpg

No