• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is more important to you in a RPG (or games in general)?

• Soundtrack. A good OST is a must.

Votes: 849 87.2%
  • Graphics. I need something easy on the eyes.

Votes: 184 18.9%

• Total voters

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
World building is often done visually, sure you can have dialogue that spells everything out for you but most of the information about a world is conveyed to you visually. What are NPCs doing around town, how does the architecture inform the time period, what is the state of technology, signs, the list goes on and on.
World building also has a strong visual aspect though. Artists and designers need to convincingly and coherently bring to live what world they envisioned.
Take the beautiful The Witcher 3 world as an example, graphics/visuals take a big part in making it so interesting and believable to us:

But it doesnt require raw graphics power, thats why i prefer artstyle over it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
100% the soundtrack. I can play games like Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX anytime and those games have not aged well visually, but goddamn those soundtracks are just as good as they were 20 years ago.
This, for the same reasons. Music tends to only age in certain circumstances, but graphics always age and the results can be terrible in some cases.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Are you serious, you quoted a post in which I specifically pointed out that art style does belong to graphics and so does the OP too.
The OP states that "graphics" includes art for the sake of this thread, it's tucked away in the last sentence...
It seems both of you dont get the power side of graphics which im talking about. See the difference between Zelda BOTW and AC Odyssey?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
World building also has a strong visual aspect though. Artists and designers need to convincingly and coherently bring to live what world they envisioned.
Take the beautiful The Witcher 3 world as an example, graphics/visuals take a big part in making it so interesting, believable and immersive to us:

This. You were faster than me. ;)

I closed my eyes while the video played and I heard all I needed to know about the world of Witcher 3 /s

Seeing is believing. Like I said earlier, in Deus EX: MD, seeing npc's down on their luck with augments and their need for neuropozyne gave a depressing feeling around the setting, while some were able to live lavishly in their spiffy apartments and then you had the segregation when lining up for the train. Red for augs with their side dirty and covered in barbed wire as if they're a animal. :(

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
It seems both of you dont get the power side of graphics which im talking about. See the difference between Zelda BOTW and AC Odyssey?
I was discussing the topic as stated in the OP, not sure what you're on about, we're arguing different things. In any case I think a poll that's Art (environment, characters, animation, etc.) vs. Audio (music, sound effects and sound design) would be completely unfair. Graphical Fidelity vs. Audio is probably a fairer comparison.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
I was discussing the topic as stated in the OP, not sure what you're on about, we're arguing different things. In any case I think a poll that's Art (environment, characters, animation, etc.) vs. Audio (music, sound effects and sound design) would be completely unfair. Graphical Fidelity vs. Audio is probably a fairer comparison.
Then i dont know why you quoted me when i exactly said raw graphics power.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't sure, but reading the posts about Undertale gave me the obvious slap I needed.

Good music will elevate an experience.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Then i dont know why you quoted me when i exactly said raw graphics power.
I see, you put soundtrack above art style.
"Art style" is such an annoying term, it's completely reductionist. There's an incredible amount of visually oriented work that goes into a game and only a tiny fraction of it even fits that description.
Presentation is a much better word to use.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
For me to get lost in a world comes through world building/OST more than anything else.
This is why. More than anything else, so visual graphics was to be assumed, even after you said raw power that's it's own thing you added, and not what the topic is about. Still, you said "more than anything else" which invited their curisoty.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
This is why. More than anything else, so visual graphics was to be assumed, even after you said raw power that's it's own thing you added, and not what the topic is about. Still, you said "more than anything else" which invited their curisoty.
And thats ok, but i think its pretty clear what i was trying to say afterwards.

Jan 15, 2019
Great music is great, but if I imagine one RPG with Atari 2600 graphics but an incredible orchestrated soundtrack, and another with incredible visuals but no music what so ever, I'd likely opt for the latter.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Even for games like Final Fantasy XI and XIV with incredible soundtracks I turn that music off eventually and forget it even had music.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Graphics don't do anything if the battle theme sounds like this unironically

Music doesn't do anything if your game looks like this

hb_57.92.jpg

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Going to be a lame answer but... It depends. I find too frequently that the fighting music loops too quickly. Then it begins to over stay its welcome. That annoys me far more than dead eyed faces.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Soundtrack, and it's not even close. Glad to see most of Era agrees with me!

8- and 16-bit graphics never age in my eyes because pixel art remains beautiful and appealing to this day, but I can easily go back to a game whose visuals really have aged poorly, like Final Fantasy VII, and enjoy it just as much as I did back in the day regardless of its hideously blocky character models.

But I would and could never, ever play FF VII (or any JRPG, or really 99% of games period) on mute. What would be the point? Most games lose at least half their character, atmosphere, personality, and/or emotional resonance without their music.

It's the soundtrack, always.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
CG backgrounds that looked beautiful, and I would have loved a FF7R that used CG or 3d but fixed angle backgrounds like Pillars of Eternity Deadfire. When you zoom all the way in, via zoom hack, on PoE:DF's background you can literally see the seams where the big background panels were stitched together but zoomed out it still looks amazing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Trying pick between Soundtrack and graphics is like trying to decide what's makes a PB&J good. It's the sum of the parts more than any one thing in my opinion.

Because when you are playing something for dozens of hours it needs to be easy on the eyes and the ears.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm a graphics nerd but even I have to go for soundtrack on this one. Games like PSO, Nier Automata, even Blue Dragon. Sometimes the soundtrack alone can elevate them to a whole different level.

chiayiii

Apr 19, 2018
To be fair, i think it depends. JRPGs definitely put a lot of focus on soundtrack. Western RPGs seem to kinda focus on sound effects more (outside of some iconic themes). Think skyrim, witcher 3.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
But I want to play games...? I don't think you understand, so I'll clarify.

For story-driven RPGs, I play for the emotional experience of the story. Using the original NieR as an example, the music, characters, and scenario elevate that experience for me more than the actual moment to moment gameplay. I can forgive mediocre gameplay if it's delivering a good experience otherwise, and music in particular is extremely important for me to be able to form an emotional connection to what's happening. Conversely, better gameplay wouldn't elevate that experience more than a well written scenario or characters for me...I enjoyed Automata and Gestalt roughly equally, even though Automata has better moment to moment gameplay without question.

There are absolutely games that would put gameplay as a higher priority for me (fighting games, action games, shmups, etc.), but if a game positions itself as being story-driven, the elements that bring me closest to connecting with the story are what I'm going to care about the most. There's nothing special about FFVI's gameplay, for another example...there are many other games before and after it in its own series that play almost exactly the same way, but what elevates it above the rest for me (well, except maybe IX) is the story, characters, and music.
I edited my post because I thought my comment was reactionary.
However your ranking "Characters >/= Plot > Music > Setting > Gameplay > Graphics" makes very little sense to me, what's the point of cutting a game up into arbitrary little categories that can't really describe a game in a meaningful way.

For instance, "character" encapsulates their dialogue (including the voice if there's va) and interactions with other characters, their design (which is presented to you through sprites or a 3D model; graphics), their animations (graphics), their actions (what do they do).

Last edited:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
No i didnt
The vii ost already exists so i know what it will be.
Arranged orchestrations of classic tunes.
Im not assuming-i know

Yes you were talking about the OST for an unreleased title.
People are trying to argue as if this thread is asking whats more important.
This isnt about that
This is which elevates the experience of an rpg higher.
Graphics constantly inprove-10 years from now im gonna look at FF7 remake and not give a shit about how it looks.
I am however going to remember the ost and the memories each song brings to me.

Sentence before is about FFVIIR, following by a "however", making the last sentence also about FFVIIR. I'm not going to agree that you can say you're going have memories of the OST, but I can't say the same for the graphics (which we have plenty of videos to show what they will look like btw).

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Yes you were talking about the OST for an unreleased title.

Sentence before is about FFVIIR, following by a "however", making the last sentence also about FFVIIR. I'm not going to agree that you can say you're going have memories of the OST, but I can't say the same for the graphics (which we have plenty of videos to show what they will look like btw).

I KNOW im talking about remake.
Im saying since og vii exists we know what will be in remakes ost.
Rearranged orchestrations of classic music.
I can say for a fact ill remember it.
What i was saying no i didnt to was it being an assumption.
It isnt because we know what will be in the remakes ost.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I KNOW im talking about remake.
Im saying since og vii exists we know what will be in remakes ost.
Rearranged orchestrations of classic music.
I can say for a fact ill remember it.
What i was saying no i didnt to was it being an assumption.
It isnt because we know what will be in the remakes ost.

Fine then I'm saying based on what I can see of this game I will remember the way it looks as a good memory. Get over it.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Soundtrack, graphics are always trumped by my imagination, but a good ost is where the memories are made.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Fine then I'm saying based on what I can see of this game I will remember the way it looks as a good memory. Get over it.

Get over it?
Youre investing yourself way too personally in this.
I remember gears of war 1 blowing me away in 2006 as well as lots of people calling bullshit.
Now its laughable.
If you think 10 years from now when we're seeing new rendering and graphical techniques that melt our eyes that youll be singing the praises of VII remakes decade old graphical look thats totally fine.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Get over it?
Youre investing yourself way too personally in this.
I remember gears of war 1 blowing me away in 2006 as well as lots of people calling bullshit.
Now its laughable.
If you think 10 years from now when we're seeing new rendering and graphical techniques that melt our eyes that youll be singing the praises of VII remakes decade old graphical look thats totally fine.

I'm not taking anything on a gaming forum personally. I'm calling out the double standard you laid on me and telling you I don't agree.

I can respect graphics for their time, and I can look back remembering the impression. If you can't that's fine, I can.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Well agree to disagree.
But theres no double standard.
My argument is based on facts we know.
We know whats in the vii ost because the og exists.