• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Underappreciated:
Titanfall 2 - One of best FPS campaigns of the entire gen with a great multiplayer. It's almost criminal that it performed the way it did.
The Evil Within 2 - It's a shame this was overlooked by a good amount of people that were probably turned off by the first game. It's considerably better in almost every aspect.

Overrated:
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - It's not just the technical issues that bog this down. I didn't find the combat particularly engaging at any setting.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I recently finished Dishonored 2 and I was really shocked while playing it by just how fucking great this game is, and you barely see it brought up when it's one of the best games I've ever played. I don't know if it's because it's a first-person that's not a dumb shooter, but it's a real shame. I think the game does atmosphere right, has great score and music and voice acting, and gives you a wonderful gameplay experience. Unfortunately, I missed out on the original game back when it came out but I think I'll have to try it after I finish DOTO.

I was pretty disappointed by Hollow Knight after all the GOTG praise I saw. It's a platformer with a dark atmosphere and amazing art style, I should love it but I didn't. I fought Needle twice and didn't bother trying again, it just felt boring, long and uninteresting. I'd die 90+ times in Crash 4 and still keep going and replay levels again because I'm having fun even if it makes me want to break the controller. Can't say the same about Hollow Knight, and I also heard that the game is actually longer than you'd expect so I don't even know if I'll ever bother coming back to it.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I think RDR2 has made it full circle to the point where it was so over-appreciated that now it might be slightly underrated.

Under-appreciated - Mario + Rabbids for sure. That game was magic. It was funny, challenging towards the end and the opera scene was so dope.

Over-appreciated - TLOU2, the amount of fawning over this game is nauseating. It's fine mechanically but the story is so disappointing and really undermined the first in my opinion. It destroyed characters that I cared about and turned them into unrecognizable shells of themselves.

klauskorp

Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota
Underappreciated: I don't know, it wasn't ever going to have a huge audience, but N++? I loved it, but it sure didn't receive any attention.
Overappreciated: The Last of Us Part 2. Don't get me wrong, everything about the game is extremely impressive, but it's ultimately a murder simulator that happens to have a compelling story with great acting. I wish Naughty Dog would be willing to remove the murder simulator part of that description to really achieve something profound.

May 17, 2019
Over: Every first party PS4 game apart from BB. Also, Hellblade, Plague Tale, and Super Mario Odyssey

Under:
  • Pathologic 2
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • The Dream Machine
  • Horace
  • Anodyne 2
  • Umurangi Generation
  • Rain World
  • Everybody's Gone To THe Rapture
  • Devotion
  • A House of Many Doors
  • Finding Paradise