• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Now that the current gen is almost over, we can safely say that we've seen some amazing games and some proper stinkers. But in the midst of all these, there are some really great games that probably haven't received the admiration it really deserved. Similarly there are a few games that (according to me) have been given too many accolades that I felt it didn't deserve.

Obviously this is an opinion piece so what I might find under appreciated might be over appreciated or rightly appreciated for someone else and vice versa.

I just wanted to see how many people out here thought similarly on the under-appreciated and over-appreciated games of the current gen. Give your reasoning too if possible.

Here are my picks:

UNDER-APPRECIATED

Mad Max (2015)

Maybe it was the time of release or the fact that people were getting frustrated and tired of open world games, but somehow this game just didn't connect with many people out there. For me, this game did almost everything right (story was a little lackluster that only picked up speed towards the final third of the game).

The driving, combat and customization of the vehicles were top notch, some of the most fun I've had. The game looked beautiful with some of the best sky-boxes I've ever seen in a video game. The on-foot combat was weighty and meaty, even though it was a very toned down version of the Arkham Style combat, it was still enough to get you into the fights. The world, while barren, felt alive and almost every corner was telling a story on its own.

MadMaxWall_03_1920x1080.png

I tried roleplaying through it, completing all objectives for each camp before moving on to the next in order to ensure they are fully upgraded and in a much better position than when I came, leaving them ready to fight their own battles with ease, come what may.

Give this game a try. Might be heavily discounted at the moment.

--x--

Days Gone (2019)

I might get a lot of flak for this, but let's keep aside all the bugs (since almost all of them have been patched out by now). I had almost 0 expectations going into this game, after seeing how it was received. Got it recently at a discount and started playing through it. The first thing that struck me was how beautiful the game looked. One of the best looking open world games I've ever played.

The gameplay was quite fun too, the melee combat was fun and heavy, the guns felt powerful and every bullet felt like it had an impact on the enemy or the environment. The freakers were easy to deal with when sparse, but the swarmers were something I've never experienced in a game, besides probably Left 4 Dead, but the hordes takes this game to another level. The careful planning and setting of traps before going in guns blazing to clear out a horde is some of the most frantic and satisfying zombie (oops, freaker) encounters I've ever had in a game.

med_6a2aa010-e5b0-45eb-8a47-7e52c0c1c6f1_Days_Gone_March_Screen_6.jpg

The human enemies were fun too, albeit quite easy to tackle. I particularly liked riding around on the bike that I kept customizing. Didn't feel any attachment to it early on but as I kept enhancing it, I felt the change in the bike and how it handled and drove and started to care for it more and more. Looking after the fuel was never a chore but another gameplay opportunity, should I go into the hot zone and refuel now or drive a little further in hopes to find a gas can somewhere? Same with fixing the bike when damaged. The same scrap used to repair your melee weapons and create bombs is used for repairing your bike, so item management was also a decision making game.

But I'm not here to just talk about the moment-to-moment gameplay of Days Gone, but the story. I was not expecting to get so invested in the story. I haven't felt such a strong connection to any video game characters since The Last Of Us. Without spoiling anything, I really cared about Deacon's journey and his quest to find the truth or closure for his dead wife. It was something that really connected with me and I really wanted him to succeed. I even cared for some of the supporting cast and really, really hated one character in the game who you are supposed to hate, so kudos to the game for making me feel that way.

I'm guessing Days Gone is pretty cheap right now too. And since most of us are stuck at home, no better time than now to give this game a go.

--x--

OVER-APPRECIATED

NieR:Automata

(I couldn't find one negative review on this game, so you understand why I feel that definitely something is wrong with me, lol)

I have only one game in this list. And I'm probably going to make more enemies than friends with this opinion. But for me, NieR:Automata was such a disappointing game. It was so hyped up, even from this forum. A friend of mine convinced me to get it and he was the one to get me into Witcher 3, which I love. So I thought to trust his judgement and I got NieR:Automata. But man. I was not expecting what I got.

NieR_09.jpg

Combat was boring. The graphics were so bland. The story, while interesting, dragged so much more once I had to replay everything all over again as 9S. There was nothing fun about it. The open world felt not-required and... ugh, I don't know I just forced myself to get through with all the endings because apparently only then will I get the satisfaction this game gives, but it just didn't work for me. I just don't see why this gets so much praise. I kept thinking something is wrong with me and maybe I'm unable to understand art. I read through so many forums about this game to just understand what I have missed, but I still don't get it.

So for me, NieR:Automata is probably the only current gen game that I feel gets too much praise for what it has to offer.

Phew, now that that's out of the way, what are your under-appreciated and over-appreciated games for the current gen?

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know how to be objective at all with this. If it's just a subjective 'games you don't like that most seem to' (or vice-versa for under-appreciated) then I could think of some.

For example I really didn't like Hollow Knight but everyone else does. I can't say it's objectively over-appreciated though 🤔

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Under-Appreciated: Pathologic 2. It is literally one of the greatest games of all time, and on top of the publisher not marketing it worth shit and leaving it to die, the goddamn actual plague is preventing people from playing the simulated one!

Over-Appreciated: literally any gacha game, god fucking damn.

OP
OP
HussiZooT

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know how to be objective at all with this. If it's just a subjective 'games you don't like that most seem to' (or vice-versa for under-appreciated) then I could think of some.

For example I really didn't like Hollow Knight but everyone else does. I can't say it's objectively over-appreciated though 🤔
Maybe your opinion on an under-appreciated game might make someone reading this get the game. That's what I was thinking.

I just added the over-appreciated part because I was mad at NieR:Automata, lol.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Under appreciated: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate for Nintendo Switch. Love it.
I second this. Just amazing the sheer amount of stuff to do on it. I picked it up having poured 250+ hours into Generations on 3DS, and still found another 250+ to keep my interest in GU, even then I only really explored a quarter of the weapon styles that all play like a different game entirely. Styles and arts give endless builds. The new high rank campaign, online play, G-rank, the high level deviant quests (I finally beat the highest Rathalos after weeks of trying), it's just a definitive package of everything great about classic Monhun. MH4 has a better campaign, and Tri's water levels are still something I enjoyed as a change of pace, but GU is a game I'll keep returning to.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Underappreciated: Prey
Overappreciated: Control (Very good game, but nearly not as good as the other releases in the same year)

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
KOFXIV :( It's sad to live in a world where The King of Fighters is a very niche series. I like it much better than SFV and other more popular fighters.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Under-Appreciated: Ace Combat 7, one of the best flight games ever but not enough people played it.
Over-Appreciated : Red Dead Redemption 2, beautiful game but I never found it fun to play and the controls were terrible.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Underappreciated: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (better than Hollow Knight!), Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (Probably the best FE cast after Three Houses, and one of the very few recent Nintendo games to actually have a decent plot), Pokemon: Let's Go (not a particularly good game, but given the hate it often receives, it is the one recent Pokemon game to have charm and an actual sense of exploration).

Overappreciated: Super Mario Odyssey (Level design? What's that?), Xenoblade 2 (Everything wrong with modern anime in one game!), Fire Emblem: Awakening (Mediocre in pretty much everything, and it doesn't help that Three Houses and a bunch of the older FE games do everything better than it), Persona 5 (Not a particularly bad game, but the characters are a massive downgrade from 3 and 4, and the story is an utter mess)

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Overappreciated: I would agree with Nier Automata, it's a very straightforward "what does it mean to be human" story. It's good, nothing outstanding.

Also every Rockstar game (ever). So boring.

Under appreciated: many but I really enjoyed Dragon Quest Heroes II, a wonderful action RPG musou hybrid with gorgeous graphics, a great cast, and just really fun to explore and play.

OP
OP
HussiZooT

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Underappreciated: Prey
Overappreciated: Control (Very good game, but nearly not as good as the other releases in the same year)
While I love Prey and it's one of my favourite games of the current generation, I don't think it's under-appreciated. I think people give it the right amount of props.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Underappreciated:

Hero-U.. it does show its low budget and the combat was nothing special but the writing, the atmosphere and that lovely combination of RPG with an adventure game that nobody has done as well as the same designers Quest for Glory series is very much present here. Unfortunately it didn't sell nearly as well as it deserved.

Overapprecciated:

Uncharted 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2.. just goes to show the game doesnt have to be that good as long as the presentation, tech and hype are on a high level.

Mario Odyssey: just really disappointing to me. Having absolutely loved EAD Tokyo's work with the Mario series and the same team going back to more Mario 64 style game with more exploration etc sounded incredibly promising but it fell short of those expectations, so many throwaway moons with no meaningful challenge in obtaining them, probably the weakest level design of 3D Marios so far.. its still a well playing, polished game and the hat mechanics were interesting but probably the biggest disappointment for me this gen.

Kamiyouni

Oct 30, 2017
I second this. Just amazing the sheer amount of stuff to do on it. I picked it up having poured 250+ hours into Generations on 3DS, and still found another 250+ to keep my interest in GU, even then I only really explored a quarter of the weapon styles that all play like a different game entirely. Styles and arts give endless builds. The new high rank campaign, online play, G-rank, the high level deviant quests (I finally beat the highest Rathalos after weeks of trying), it's just a definitive package of everything great about classic Monhun. MH4 has a better campaign, and Tri's water levels are still something I enjoyed as a change of pace, but GU is a game I'll keep returning to.

:')

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Over-appreciated:
Nier Automata
Good game, but not the goat many people say.
Especially the music wasn't so great, can't remember anything from the soundtrack.

Breath of the Wild
I don't like the combat at all, weapons tear off way to fast.
Horse controls are trash.
Also don't like the constant pop-ups and massive aliasing.
Maybe gets better the more I get used to the joycons.

Sekiro
Great game yes, but it's nowhere near Bloodborne for me.
Atmosphere was not as good and the boss-recycling sucked.
Also that last boss was just too much (beating him was a great feeling tho lol).

Under-appreciated:
RDR2
The amount of whining online about the game is insane.
Controls are not the best but I didn't mind them too much.
Graphics, atmosphere, story, music are all top-notch and unparalleled.

Until Dawn
Fantastic game, would love a sequel in some form.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Over-appreciated:
Final Fantasy XV - This game was a mess at launch. The open world is largely unsatisfying to explore, the narrative ranges from bad to unsatisfying, and the combat is probably the easiest of any JRPG I've played without really adding any combat customization. I know a lot has been added to this game, but it was fairly well regarded at launch, which I think was not justified at all.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate - I feel like I heard this one called a return to form for multiple years prior to the release of Origins, and I fail to see how it's any better than Black Flag or even Unity. The story was the most dull of the recent games to that point, and it never felt like they really took advantage of the setting in the 10 or so hours I played.

Life is Strange - While I really like the segments of the game where you're able to explore your school, I thought that the main plot twist of the game was not exactly shocking, and unlike most people I really don't think Chloe is very well written.

Under-appreciated:
Velocity 2X:
I feel like I haven't heard anyone talk about this game in years since it made its way to PS+. Very enjoyable shoot-em-up and platformer hybrid with a good sense of speed behind it.

Geometry Wars 3: One of my favorite twin-stick shooters. This one has a clean overall design, and the game ramps up at the end to be a challenging, but rewarding experience to try to master.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Funny with Microsoft's first party output, the games I have probably enjoyed the most have been the worst reviewed. Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Sea of Thieves is underappreciated. Not because it doesn't have flaws, it has plenty of flaws, but because it is unique and it is one of the games of this generation that can bring memorable moments to you and your friends. It is one of those games I'll remember forever.

Another underappreciated game is Human Fall Flat. I had such a good laugh when playing this in co-op. Games can be simple, but incredibly fun. Still want to try out all these DLC's they've added.

Can't think of an overappreciated game, though I wasn't that much into RDR2.

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Overapprecciated:

Uncharted 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2.. just goes to show the game doesnt have to be that good as long as the presentation, tech and hype are on a high level.
Agree completely. I just didn't get the UC4 hype, and got bored of it.
RDR2 = Turgid, thanks to the controls. Tried it a couple of times and just couldn't stand it. A shame as RDR was my favourite game of last gen.

Mario Odyssey: just really disappointing to me. Having absolutely loved EAD Tokyo's work with the Mario series and the same team going back to more Mario 64 style game with more exploration etc sounded incredibly promising but it fell short of those expectations, so many throwaway moons with no meaningful challenge in obtaining them, probably the weakest level design of 3D Marios so far.. its still a well playing, polished game and the hat mechanics were interesting but probably the biggest disappointment for me this gen.

Aw, I loved Mario O, but I'm not a hardcore Mario/platformer fan so I just played it in isolation from any context or expectation and had so much fun.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Agree completely. I just didn't get the UC4 hype, and got bored of it.
RDR2 = Turgid, thanks to the controls. Tried it a couple of times and just couldn't stand it. A shame as RDR was my favourite game of last gen.

Aw, I loved Mario O, but I'm not a hardcore Mario/platformer fan so I just played it in isolation from any context or expectation and had so much fun.

Can totally understand that. It still is a good game to be fair.. its just the standards of mainline 3D Mario's are that high that even a really good game can be a disappointment in comparison, skyhigh expectations dont help either but after the amazing Galaxy games and 3D World I couldnt help being bit disappointed. Still had good time playing through it.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Under-appreciated
Mario vs Rabbids - I know most realised this wasn't the gaming equivalent of an eyeroll that many thought it would be from the leak, but I still think many don't realise what a fantastic little twist on XCOM style strategy this game is. I still haven't completed it myself, but I intend to rectify that during lockdown.

Sonic Mania - So a small team literally comes along and eat's Sega's lunch. They make arguably the best Sonic game since 3/Knuckles over twenty years ago... after Sonic Team have been floundering and farting out whatever made them a quick buck for years and years. And of course, no sequel is in development. Fuck Sega.

Over-appreciated
Super Mario Odyssey - I honestly didn't think there was much to it after the first 30 hours or so. The collectibles are so numerous and facetious that they really lose all meaning. It had some great moments, but not enough "pizazz" like Galaxy or even 3D World before it. I know people are clamouring for a sequel, and sales figures means we most likely will get it, but I wouldn't cry if they went in a different direction.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Chases everything I don't think games should/need to be to be honest. I still need to sit down and give it a proper try really, but after 30-40 hours I really think I gave it a fair shot. "Turgid" is a word used in this thread, and I think it sums it up pretty well for me.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think you will find a lot of people who enjoyed Route B. You have to do everything again with a worst combat system. It is awful.
But overall, I loved that game and its OST.
Once again, a game who never should have been an Open World (the worst thing about this gen for me).

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Under-Appreciated: Pathologic 2. It is literally one of the greatest games of all time, and on top of the publisher not marketing it worth shit and leaving it to die, the goddamn actual plague is preventing people from playing the simulated one!

I'm coming here to say Pathologic 2 wasn't underapreciated. The game is very good, but it's a technical nightmare, countless bugs and game breaking errors. If it hadn't been such a programming disaster, more people would have enjoyed it.

The first Pathologic was also very messy but nothing that could prevent you from actually playing, except the funky "translation".

I'm still very angry my five days playing were wasted once the game decided not to load anymore.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Under-appreciated
Arkane Studios - Dishonored 2 and Prey are great RPG's that offer a lot of freedom in how you create your character or complete missions. It's a real shame their style of game isn't selling more.
Wildstar - Best art design and music in an MMO, funny characters and sick combat. Engaging dungeons and they tried to do more than just kill x enemies quests. I'll never forgive humanity for not playing it (and also Carbine/NCsoft for idiotic mistakes)

Oct 27, 2017
For me, OP's under-appreciated titles are exactly the sort of games I would consider for this topic. Days Gone sold very well, by all accounts, but it doesn't get the recognition of the other first party Sony releases. I think this is also a good time to emphasise the difference between under-appreciated and under-played. I love Prey, for example, but it just wasn't exposed to a wide enough audience. I think anyone who does come into contact with that game ends up singing from the same hymn sheet. You probably see more LTTPs for that game on here than most.

I just finished playing a title that I think qualifies for under-appreciated, and that's Detroit: Become Human. Most successful Quantic Dream launch from a sales perspective, but rarely mentioned. What I love about that game isn't necessarily the choices themselves, but rather the way the game communicates the alternative paths at the end of the level. After every scene, you come into contact with the branching trees that tail off in all these different directions, and it was just this constant reinforcement during my playtime that I want to try different approaches next time. For someone who generally moves onto the next game fairly quickly, I do think I'll revisit Detroit in future.

Over-appreciated is more difficult to pinpoint. In a world where genuinely decent experiences are labelled 'trash' and 'garbage', I don't think you can ever really give enough credit to a lot of games. I would say that my first real encounter with Pokemon being Sword, I don't appreciate that series nearly as much as others do. It clearly has a loop that satisfies a ton of people, but it didn't hit home for me.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
Under-appreciated

Graveyard Keeper - This is probably one of my favorite games this gen. It's the right amount of quirky and macabre. It's also the perfect length. I'm not sure if it is still buggy or has performance issues but I played it at launch and had a great time even with the bugs. (I also heard it has zombie helpers now).

I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I have a new category.

Appreciated but Overlooked

Frostpunk - This game has such an amazing style and gameplay. Don't be like me and think it is a city builder like SimCity. While it shares elements with one, the scenarios have an end game which are very challenging. I mention this because I think the people who play it like it but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have played it.

Over-appreciated - I don't really have anything for this. When I come across a game that everyone else seems to love but I don't, I realize it isn't my thing and move on.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Appreciated but Overlooked

Frostpunk - This game has such an amazing style and gameplay. Don't be like me and think it is a city builder like SimCity. While it shares elements with one, the scenarios have an end game which are very challenging. I mention this because I think the people who play it like it but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have played it.

Oh, this is a good one. Love that game. Hope more people play it.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Under - Last Guardian. Some people make it seem unplayable, but I had a fine experience that lived up to expectations.

Over - God of War. Combat was fun. Story was nothing to write home about. The single-shot camera thing seemed like an unnecessary gimmick. I didn't find the head you carry around to be interesting.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Under-appreciated

Titanfall - Best multiplayer of the gen by far but it didn't have a billion pointless things to unlock so it quickly died.

Nex Machina - Even people who enjoyed Housemarque's other games didn't show up for it. Maybe this is the negative of subscription services. People got Resogun for free, and enjoyed it, but then weren't prepared to pay for the next game because it'll end up on PS+ anyway. It didn't. Thankfully it didn't kill the studio, just their desire to make these kinds of games.

The Last Guardian - Never had any issues with Trico, Trico was practically playing the game for me for the last few hours I'd took care of him so well throughout the game.

Over-appreciated

Nier Automata - It was bad enough trying to finish it the first time, it is boring, combat is a chore, vast majority of the world is an eye sore. Aside from the music and shmup sections, it did absolutely nothing for me.

Prey - Maybe it's great on PC and Xbox but on PS4 it was damn near unplayable with some of the worst first person combat I've experienced since the original Bioshock.

Wolfenstein: New Colossus - Practically everything was done better in New Order, have no idea how this got the reviews it got.

The Evil Within - If this game played and ran like Evil Within 2 it wouldn't be on the list, it may be the better game for pure straight up horror that keeps you on your toes but it's just too cheap and frustrating for me and I gave up at the mansion.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Under-appreciated:
Prey - It's far better than any of the Bioshock games. I think it's the best shock game since SS2.
The Last Guardian - Most people who were waiting for this loved it, but whenever I talk to someone who was watching from the sidelines or didn't play it, they seem to have the impression that it was a disappointment.
Pathologic 2
Yakuza 6

Over-appreciated
Witcher 3 - I absolutely love this game, but it seems to have become the go-to response for best RPG of all time with a lot of people I run into.

Man, I gotta disagree with how many of you all think Nier:A is over-appreciated.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
Under: digimon: cybersleuth
Attack on titan
Over: red dead 2. Plays like a ps2 game. Can't believe how many folks on this forum bash Kingdom Hearts 3 For feeling like it was designed like a ps2 game yer praise this archaic mess.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Over-appreciated:
Nier Automata
Good game, but not the goat many people say.
Especially the music wasn't so great, can't remember anything from the soundtrack.

Breath of the Wild
I don't like the combat at all, weapons tear off way to fast.
Horse controls are trash.
Also don't like the constant pop-ups and massive aliasing.
Maybe gets better the more I get used to the joycons.

Sekiro
Great game yes, but it's nowhere near Bloodborne for me.
Atmosphere was not as good and the boss-recycling sucked.
Also that last boss was just too much (beating him was a great feeling tho lol).

Under-appreciated:
RDR2
The amount of whining online about the game is insane.
Controls are not the best but I didn't mind them too much.
Graphics, atmosphere, story, music are all top-notch and unparalleled.

Until Dawn
Fantastic game, would love a sequel in some form.
Ah yes, Red Dead Redemption 2 - truly one of the most underappreciated games of all time

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Not nearly enough people played Gravity Rush 2. So much damn fun and maybe the most gorgeous game this gen IMO.

I still think RDR2 is overrated. I'm sure the story is amazing, but I'll never see it through if every second I'm actually playing the game (the most important part/not watching cutscenes) feels like sculpting with wet dog shit. Add on top of that the aging mission structure where you go to a place, talk on the way, ends in a shootout, rinse/repeat and I just couldn't keep going after ~10 hours.

OP
OP
HussiZooT

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Some real good picks in this thread.

And I must admit, Titanfall 2's multiplayer was a blast! I guess it did die pretty quickly. Not sure why. Definitely underappreciated.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'm coming here to say Pathologic 2 wasn't underapreciated. The game is very good, but it's a technical nightmare, countless bugs and game breaking errors. If it hadn't been such a programming disaster, more people would have enjoyed it.

The first Pathologic was also very messy but nothing that could prevent you from actually playing, except the funky "translation".

I'm still very angry my five days playing were wasted once the game decided not to load anymore.
Weird, Pathologic 2 has run flawlessly for me and I've played it three times. No one else I know has run into issues. I don't think it is anywhere close to a technical nightmare. Not sure what happened with your save, but yeah, the game is definitely underappreciated. It is one of the best games of all time and most people haven't even tried it -- let alone even been able to encounter bugs.

Pathologic 1 is somewhat dated, but I've also never run into any issues on that game and I put 150 hours into it.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Under-appreciated: Mass Effect Andromeda

maxresdefault.jpg

The majority of hate it gets is basically a meme. People saw a "funny" video about it on YouTube and were like "well gosh guess this game is bad." I won't pretend it's perfect (stiff animations, some undercooked storylines, and lots of big empty spaces), but it's absolutely a good game, and worth the time of anyone who enjoys some engaging sci-fi. It's got fantastic characters, as per usual, and even a few who will surprise you with how well they're done (Cora especially, though Vetra is a fan favorite). Plus it's got the best gameplay/combat in the series, hands down.

Over-appreciated: The Witcher 3

71696_screenhi_930x524_en_US_02_%5E_2014-11-05-12-00-12_da3a397c9c7883102e970f29e0747f2fa9a58ed6.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful game. I'm in the middle of my second playthrough right now (albeit taking a break to play FFVII Remake) and enjoying myself more than last time.

But come on. It's not the second coming. It's a pretty standard western RPG with slow combat and honestly rather boring characters. Ciri is really cool (deserves her own game at the very least) and I occasionally chuckle at Geralt's deadpan deliveries, but with very few exceptions, I usually couldn't care less if I don't see any of these people again. Characters will always be more important than story to me, because a bad story with good characters is still enjoyable, whereas a good story with bad characters doesn't draw me in at all.

Which of these do I enjoy more? Well, like I said, I've been having fun with my current playthrough of TW3, sure. But I keep coming back to Andromeda at least once a year since it was released, and as of right now, I have no desire to get back into Witcher again for the foreseeable future.

OP
OP
HussiZooT

HussiZooT

Beware the Monkey's Paw
Nov 16, 2017
Under-appreciated: Mass Effect Andromeda

maxresdefault.jpg

The majority of hate it gets is basically a meme. People saw a "funny" video about it on YouTube and were like "well gosh guess this game is bad." I won't pretend it's perfect (stiff animations, some undercooked storylines, and lots of big empty spaces), but it's absolutely a good game, and worth the time of anyone who enjoys some engaging sci-fi. It's got fantastic characters, as per usual, and even a few who will surprise you with how well they're done (Cora especially, though Vetra is a fan favorite). Plus it's got the best gameplay/combat in the series, hands down.

I'll have to semi agree with this. The game had very, very big boots to fill and even if they did something "good" it would never be "good enough" since the franchise preceding it did it all wonderfully.

A 6.5 on 10 for me, but not as horrible as people would like to believe it is.

Jul 26, 2018
Under-appreciated

Graveyard Keeper - This is probably one of my favorite games this gen. It's the right amount of quirky and macabre. It's also the perfect length. I'm not sure if it is still buggy or has performance issues but I played it at launch and had a great time even with the bugs. (I also heard it has zombie helpers now).

I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I have a new category.

Hey, what games would you recommend to scratch this same each?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Dreams is a clear candidate for underappreciated, especially on ERA. We have numerous great creations that are worth to play on Dreams by now. It's been marketed stronger for the creative community, but too many people are sleeping on the content. Whoever cherishes indies and different or unique concepts will have a treat there. And there are great community events like All Hallows Dreams recently which are free to play with the demo.

I'll support the Prey and Dishonored posts in a heartbeat.

Quantum Break is another underappreciated game. The criticism is mostly on the live-TV action show for this game. And while I'm so-so on this myself, at least Remedy tried something unique. The game itself was mighty fine and one of gaming's better time travel stories.

I also really liked Watch Dogs 2. So quirky and lighthearted, a great simulation of city life, many gameplay options to infiltrate. I really liked the game.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Underappreciated:

DKTF
Crash Trilogy Remake
Yooka Laylee Impossible Lair
Abzu

Overappreciated:

SMO
Last of Us

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Underappreciated:
State of Decay 2, it is a really janky and buggy game but man it can be really fun.

Overappreciated:
Uncharted 4 and Tlou 2, Naughty Dog's both games this gen was really big dissapointments for me as i was stanning hard for them during PS3 era.
Barring a few exceptions most open world games this gen.

Oct 28, 2017
Underappreciated:

Apotheon

A game nobody talks about, but one of my favorite metrovanias of the decade. Awesome artstyle that it completely nails and an interesting story hidden inside. While the weird controls may put some people off, once you learn and master it, the game also just becomes super fun and unlike anything else out there.

Overappreciated

The Witness

It looks amazing, but the game is just so insanely slow and uninteresting to me. Even when you start to get the twists they only really work as a short "Aha" moment and then you're back to doing the same tedious puzzle solving. I get that there are good parts in it thar a lot of people love, but it really isn't for me.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Both of my "Underappreciated" games aren't so much good games, as they were decent games that were overly-maligned and never really given a chance at all.

Underappreciated:

- ME Andromeda: The worst Mass Effect game, but I think that and the memes caused people to discount what was otherwise a decent time. The main story thread was dull (can't even remember the antagonist's name, but I think the enemies were called the "Kett"?), but some of the B-stories around the actual settlements and worlds themselves were interesting. A sequel that visited these worlds decades or centuries later to see how they grew, could've been really neat.

- Crackdown 3: A solid 7/10 experience that even some reviewers spoke of as though it was the worst game ever (I think IGN gave it a 5/10??). It was... more Crackdown. The visual aesthetic was clean and nice, and the mayhem was still vintage Crackdown. It did nothing to really meaningfully push the series forward from a mechanical perspective, and the MP mode was tacked on junk meant to justify the amount of time they wasted getting the "cloud physics" to work, but I finished the SP and didn't regret my time with it. I'd have been mad if I spent the absurd $60 retail price tag for it ($30 at MOST), but as a Game Pass title it was... fine.

Overappreciated:

- Ghost of Tsushima (SP only): A striking artistic vision and some beautiful visuals party elevate what is otherwise one of the most paint-by-numbers modern open world games I have ever played, with stealth mechanics that could be summed up as "Assassin's Creed but dumber and easier". That said, I enjoyed the game overall, the story finished REALLY strong after being pretty dull and unengaging for a long time, and I'd love to see a sequel that leans from the game's mistakes.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nier Automata sure is this forum's go-to game when it comes to calling things overrated at the moment. (If it wasn't obvious, I strongly disagree)

Underappreciated: Utawarerumono series, Gravity Rush 2, Tearaway Unfolded, AI: The Somnium Files
Overappreciated: Detroit: Become Human, Life is Strange, The Witcher 3

I'd have played this by now if the console ports weren't apparently broken messes.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Nier Automata sure is this forum's go-to game when it comes to calling things overrated at the moment. (If it wasn't obvious, I strongly disagree)

Underappreciated: Utawarerumono series, Gravity Rush 2, Tearaway Unfolded, AI: The Somnium Files
Overappreciated: Detroit: Become Human, Life is Strange, The Witcher 3

I'd have played this by now if the console ports weren't apparently broken messes.
I wouldn't say they are unplayable, but they are significantly worse than the PC version.

They are still worth playing, because Pathologic 2 in any format is still one of the best games ever made.