• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
All the ones I've actually played are posted, and a ton of other good choices, so I'll post Aconcagua here. It isn't especially stylish, but it somehow looks really good for a PlayStation game, maybe because it was a first party game released at the end of the console's lifetime and so had a mastery of the technology.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Of all the ones I've played...

Soul Reaver
source.gif

Final Fantasy IX
tumblr_n8anqykcme1tzeen3o3_500.gif

Chrono Cross
DelightfulFriendlyHorseshoecrab-small.gif

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
All the ones I've actually played are posted, and a ton of other good choices, so I'll post Aconcagua here. It isn't especially stylish, but it somehow looks really good for a PlayStation game, maybe because it was a first party game released at the end of the console's lifetime and so had a mastery of the technology.

Is this game any good? Seems odd that it didn't get localised when a bunch of the dialogue is already in English.

Also, it's insane how many obscure PS1 games there are that never made it out of Japan. Look up Planet Dob if you want to see the most bizarre of the bizarre.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
2D: Heart of Darkness (due to the sheer quality of the animations)
2D backgrounds with 3D characters: Final Fantasy IX (fantastic CGI backgrounds and poly rich, for PS1 standard, 3D characters)
3D: Vagrant Story (due to a unique cuttlefish color visual design and cinematic presentation that resemble a graphic novel).

Last edited:

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vagrant Story and MGS are the stellar looking PS1 games. A lot of games could fill a 3rd place but can't seem to pick one.

Bartis

Dec 30, 2017
Driver, MGS and FF7 probably. I'm quite sure I'd be disappointed seeing then now, all these decades later

Voyevoda

Nov 1, 2017
Paris, France
Chrono Cross (that art direction)
Vagrant Story for 3D
Symphony of the Night for 2D

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed I chose the same 3 as the user above.

Nov 4, 2017
MGS1 is a great and obvious choice, the scope and quality of that game on such limited hardware is crazy.

Tekken 3 also looks fantastic, it blew my mind at the time and still looks very playable today.

For the third game, I'd have to go for the Gran Tourismo games. The original GT is what sold me on the PS1.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Soul Reaver. What an achievement that game is. Beyond looking great as is, there's also dimension swapping going on... with no loading. Was just stunned by this game as a teen.
Heart of Darkness
Tekken 3

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I think Gran Turismo 2 deserves a spot on that list. Some of the models still look quite impressive for the time.

I remember young me thinking we didn't even need a third entry in the series because Gran Turismo 2 with faster loading and texture filtering on a PS2 was about as real as video games could ever get.

GT was possibly the most technically impressive for its time
But, since it was chasing realism its aged quite poorly compared to games that were more stylized imo

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
The best looking PS1 game that I have played is probably Final Fantasy 9. I replayed it recently and it still holds up quite well, especially the backgrounds. Other games with prerendered backgrounds still look pretty good as well, like RE2 and 3.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The absolute top 3 are Tobal 2, Ridge Racer Type 4 and Vagrant Story.

X5wmeme.gif
EA9P2l2.gif

0BQUcI4.gif
jNltZ2l.gif

Thanks to using the PS1's high res mode and using gourad shading instead of textures on the characters it has excellent image quality for the time. Plus it ran at a locked 60fps and has animations that still hold up decently over 20 years later.

Second place goes to Ridge Racer Type 4.
r4sunset56id5.gif
r4night2ixc42.gif

Top tier art design. Great use of colors and lighting for the PS1. R4 also makes use of gourad shading, makes the way light hits the vehicles look more natural than you average PS1 game.

What else can you say about Vagrant Story? This game looks absurd for the system.

yHLjT.png
q83os.png

8OkoM.png
h0AdO.png

no6cO.png
u191k.png

kHMv3.png
EoU0G.png

VS is basically the peak of texturework and aesthetics for the generation.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is this game any good? Seems odd that it didn't get localised when a bunch of the dialogue is already in English.

Also, it's insane how many obscure PS1 games there are that never made it out of Japan. Look up Planet Dob if you want to see the most bizarre of the bizarre.
Seems that way from what I've seen. It's an adventure game where a bunch of the character have unique skills, not super easy to screw up. The story seemed interesting as well.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I wish I owned a PlayStation back in the day tbh. I didn't even know PlayStation existed back then. Literally had no idea. The first time I knew PlayStation existed was when I went over my friend's house and saw gta San Andreas. There was nothing quite like that game on GameCube and I knew I had to move on from Nintendo. Their games aren't for me and they give me no enjoyment anymore. Idk why, but yeah.

Anyways, seeing this thread makes me wonder how my gaming life would have changed if I bought a PlayStation. I never got resetera levels of serious about gaming until Xbox 360. Thanks for the thread. That's the TLDR: thank you

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I roll my eyes at anyone who says PS1 games are hard to go back to because of how they look. PS1 games are beautiful and the PS1 remains my number 1 favorite system of all time.

*Edit: my picks:

•MGS-wonderful looking game
•Chrono Cross-the colors alone make this beauty shine
•Resident Evil 3-some of the best prerendered backgrounds I've ever seen on the system.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
People posting Legend of Mana and Chrono Cross are making good cases with all the screenshots.

I've never played them

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads of Fate is a nice, underrated game with a super pleasant art style:

Aw3gRuR.gif

Legend of Mana, because just look at it:

sMViAfS.gif

Megaman Legends (and Tron Bonne) hasn't visually aged a goddamn day:

i72UKjL.gif

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
1) Mega Man Legends (1 or 2, doesn't matter). The best looking 3D game.

The game's art-style just works to perfection, despite the low polygon count, low texture resolution, lack of advanced graphical features (shaders, dynamic shadows etc) and low rendering resolution. Just look how expressive these characters' facial expressions are with all these technical limitations. If you were to make a modern game with this same art style, would you really perceive something that's missing due to technical limitations on PS1? Probably not, and that blows my mind on so many levels.

This pair of god damn gorgeous games holds up today in original form, and looks INCREDIBLE in high resolution. However, just for effect, what follows is the game in its original form, native resolution and all, just to show how freaking good it looks despite that.
digging-up-the-mega-man-legends-series-1.jpg

mega-man-legends-2-1.jpg

oy2evUpcTfekkVSj7s4t7PzL05GFEO7OPB5vuK6tdCNG-SitbUseQWXQM4r6RX2a7dwzMqLaxi6Wztt4m4n35abElfKJ8qeRjJgOQpl6U3HWMB34SFIU3kk3u05IEC-2NHBfVz7jn1ZbaIOCiUsnFDoIzg

2) Final Fantasy VII (most unique visual design that still looks incredible)
Final Fantasy VII does something special with its visual presentation. It mixes high detail, more realistic 3D models for battles, simplified, chibi 3D models for the overworld and drop-dead-gorgeous pre-rendered 2D backgrounds which are a mixture of an underlying 3D model rendered to a 2D image, and then manual editing by artists on top of the rendered result.

Somehow all of these ingredients don't sound like they belong together but oh boy, do they. Final Fantasy VII doesn't just look great. It looks special. It looks unlike anything else, even its own successors. Some would say that its visual presentation is a dated compromise born out of technical limitations. But I'll tell you what it actually is: A work of art, so unique that even in an endless sea of videogames from all eras, Final Fantasy VII's visual presentation stands out as something anyone should experience at least once. The sheer scope, the feeling of grandiosity conveyed by its outstanding background art sets the perfect tone for your adventure every step of the way.

Just look at this design. Jaw-dropping.
722220922cffb62ebbc9bd74b8007ed2.gif

3) Street Fighter Alpha 3 (the best looking 2D game)
It's bright. It's colorful. It's gorgeously animated. The art style fits it to a T and it's a tragedy that the series has not revisited it. I know this is technically not a made-for-ps1 game. It's not even the best version of the game. But it's on the system and looks damn good in it too.

One of my favorite parts of this game's visual presentation is how each frame of animation conveys fluidity, motion, momentum, weight and impact. For a fighting game, I could feel all the dynamism and the force behind each strike. My favorite Street Fighter game to date, even in terms of gameplay, but the visuals are a crucial component in how this game's overall package actually feels when you play it.

30254.jpg

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
tumblr_pj2pm0KZ9T1ug2uiho2_400.gifv

R-Type Delta deserves more love. The game is gorgeous and has the best soundtrack in the entire franchise.

OcelotUnit64

Jan 22, 2020
Racing Lagoon looks incredible. Shame I had no idea what was going on.

Metal Gear Solid. The first time I felt like I was playing something more than a game.

Tenchu and Tenchu 2, loved the aesthetic of these.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Breath of Fire 4 to date remains the most seamless marriage of 2D visuals in a 3D environment. It's really hard to find screenshots to do it justice since the internet is littered with emulation shots/footage using filtering or higher than 240p rendering which instantly breaks that precarious balance in fidelity between the two elements.

vSjrxt7.gif
nVfi37P.gif

It came out at the right time for the right system, because I think that modern attempts like Octopath Traveler don't come nearly as close to capturing that sense of consistency where you can barely even tell where the 3D ends and 2D begins.

It's probably down to toeing the line between 3D and pixel art aesthetics as many of the best looking games pre-texture filtering did. Twin Snakes goes for a more typical early to mid 2000s 3D look. The texture work in games like MGS1 are deliberately designed to leverage the lack of texture filtering to convey more fine details just using the raw pixel lines. I think it also plays very nicely with the PS1 dithering pass. After filtering became standardized, 3D visuals overall just started getting more blurry and muddy overall as we then only had polygon geometry to convey sharpness. Barring a few exceptions I think it was only really with the advent of 2K-4K texture fidelity we started to overcome this.

I had a similar revelation about Jedi Knight on PC. Released in 1997 and was one of the first games I experienced with hardware acceleration to filter the textures. Thought it looked amazing at the time, but now in retrospect I think it looks much more interesting without it. Texture filtering just blurs out all those deliberate pixel lines in the artwork.
That BoF4 footage is very inspiring. I wish I could make characters and background blend AND stand out like that. The colour choices seem to be key. , Everything us covered in this warm/cream hue but they all feature very colorful designs so, the end result is really subtle.
I wish we got more games aiming for this style and Legend of Mana's nowadays, because as you said whenever they go for 3D + sprites nowadays it's pretty easy to tell what is what in most cases.

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
MGS
FF8 (9 performed like dogshit and 8 was more impressive at the time imo)
Wipeout 3 / Ape Escape

Shoutouts to Vagrant Story, Tekken 3 and Valkyrie Profile. Can't agree with Chrono Cross, it was a fuzzy, smeary mess on the original hardware. Looks amazing up-resed though.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
2D games are cheating imo so I'll pick just 3D games

Sheep Raider looked like a Looney Tunes short come to life with it's bright colors and amazing effects

Crash Bandicoot 3 was hyper-detailed for an early 3D game that was brimming with details and the lightning was amazing as well.

and MGS since it made decently good looking realistic models

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
All this thread does for me is realize the best games were in our past. They don't make games like they back in the 32-bit era anymore and I think that sucks.