• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Note: Don't fill the threads with lists, otherwise the thread will be locked. Explain in a sentence or two why your picks are the best looking PS1 games.

What do you consider to be the 3 best looking Playstation 1 games ever made?

It doesn't necessarily have to be the game with the most graphical polygon pushing power. It can be a game that has a particular graphic style that is really unique or appealing, or it could have a graphical effect that elevates the game above all the others. Please stick with games that still look good today.

My three games are:

Metal Gear Solid
I don't know what it is, but to me this game still looks good over most PS1 games. I don't know if it's because everything has a blue or green tint all the time, or the sharp polygon models, but to me it still looks pretty and appealing.

3PiDROo.gif

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
While the backgrounds are nothing special nowadays, the sprite work is still amazing today. Everything looks so sharp and detailed. This is a game that still looks appealing today.

U3T7eNe.gif

Tekken 3
I'm not much of a fighting game guy, but this game still looks great for a PS1 game. Everything looks sharp with great polygonal models.

5MOl52z.gif

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
3D - Soul Reaver. Disc streaming made this a marvel at the time.
2D - Street Fighter Alpha 3. Beautiful chunky sprites.

Apal_ytos

Oct 29, 2017
Greece
I agree with MGS and Tekken 3, but I would add Wipeout 3 and Crash 3.
I still remember how amazed I was when I first played them, and how much better they looked compared to their predecessors.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
It's a hard list to whittle down. Between art style and technical achievement, the PS1 was crazy diverse. Consider this post of mine a placeholder.

Ridge Racer 4, Spyro the Dragon, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, & Tekken 3 for pure technical achievements.

I'll edit this post later with my real 3.

Last edited:

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The Crash Bandicoot trilogy holds up very well in the visuals department.

If you were to smooth things out like the polygons and textures, they can probably pass off as early PS2 launch titles on the level of Jak 1.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Artistic direction goes a long way obviously

Final Fantasy VIII was gorgeous to me, despite me much preferring VII's story

Metal Gear Solid - graphically still cuts above Twin Snakes for me which is so weird due to the obvious improvements

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver. Sure it was somewhat barren but graphically and the art it 'really' sold that world fantastically well

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I disagree on MGS and Tekken.

I personally think Soul Blade is the better looking fighter, even with half the frame rate. It makes up for it with much better backgrounds.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid and Vagrant Story are the best.
I can't really pick a third one. Gran Turismo 2? Omega Boost? Something like that.

SuperFinal

Cinematics Designer at Playground Games
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
2D - Street Fighter Alpha 3. Beautiful chunky sprites.
Here's an interesting bit of triva for you. Street Fighter Alpha 3 overcame the PSX's 2D rendering shortcomings by rendering the characters as textured polygons. That's why it was able to load much faster than previous iterations. Not sure whether that technically makes the game 3D though...

Oh, and my favourites.
Wip3out
Ape Escape
Metal Gear Solid

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Fear Effect with its unique MotionFX tech still stands out to this day. Obviously it has aged along with every other PS1 game, but those backgrounds can still impress in their own way.

The other two I'd probably go with are Spyro the Dragon and Chrono Cross or FFIX.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Gonna avoid the mainstays. Vagrant Story impressed me when it came out, for it's cinematic effects such as Depth of Field and actual facial expressions and emoting which I'd never seen. Omega Boost, a polyphony shooter was crazy for the amount of stuff exploding and debris and particles on screen and still a good frame rate. Tobal #2 was the sharpest game I'd ever seen on PS1, including Tekken 3. It was 60 FPS and used the PS1's high resolution mode for 480p. It looked better than a lot of DC/PS2 games years later

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
It's a 2D game for sure. I refused to think any of those 3D games looked good even at the time.

But that does not exclude games "with 3D", so I vote Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Cross or Castlevania.

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Solid - graphically still cuts above Twin Snakes for me which is so weird due to the obvious improvements

Yeah, even though the GC version looks miles better, there's something about the pixelated PS1 graphics that make the original "look better" for me and I didn't even play the original until AFTER playing Twin Snakes.

Oct 25, 2017
Vagrant Story for its stunning art direction, character design and impressive to this day cutscene direction.

Symphony of the Night has some of the prettiest sprite work I've ever seen, and beautiful animations.

Tekken 3 would be my third pick, but mostly to close at 3, only the two above still look amazing to me today, without even considering the hardware.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Here's an interesting bit of triva for you. Street Fighter Alpha 3 overcame the PSX's 2D rendering shortcomings by rendering the characters as textured polygons. That's why it was able to load much faster than previous iterations. Not sure whether that technically makes the game 3D though...

Oh, and my favourites.
Wip3out
Ape Escape
Metal Gear Solid

Man, I never noticed! Maybe because of the low res? Makes me want to dig out my copy and try it on an emulator and see if I can tell.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
d6q2dDI.png

Legend of Mana is still the prettiest game I've played, and that was on the Playstation 1. It uses hand-painted backgrounds in Koji Tsuda's signature style. If you've ever seen his work, you'll probably be able to recognise it. A mixture of saturated and earthy tones, shapes being rounded off giving it a cool sense of volume. It's all very pleasant looking It's a perfect fit to illustrate what wasn't possible when you aren't using tile-based pixel art backgrounds. Also really like the aesthetic of Saga Frontier 2, and Breath of Fire 4. They would be my top 3.

Final Fantasy 9 and Chrono Cross aged a bit less gracefully, using 3D models for its characters, but as far as PS1 3D goes, those games look fantastic. They do have the benefit of using pre-rendered backgrounds however. As for full 3D games, Mega Man Legends and Vagrant Story are my faves. Mega Man Legends especially stood out to me with its clean pixel-art textures, making it the most expressive looking game on the system.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Tekken 3 - The most technical impressive 3d game on the system.
Metal Gear Solid - The Simplified clean design ages well but it's actually the camera work that sets it apart from the rest
Final Fantasy 9 - War, full of life, a fav of mine in the looks department

OP
OP
ReyVGM

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Legend of Mana is still the prettiest game I've played, and that was on the Playstation 1. Also really like the aesthetic of Saga Frontier 2, and Breath of Fire 4. They would be my top 3.

Final Fantasy 9 and Chrono Cross aged a bit less gracefully, using 3D models for its characters, but as far as PS1 3D goes, those games look fantastic. As for full 3D games, Mega Man Legends and Vagrant Story are my faves.

Oh crap, I forgot about Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier 2. I would have definitely added one of them to the OP!

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Easy list!
- Wip3out Special Edition: fast, no popping, smooth effects, 60fps mode, variety of models. To be fair, first time I played I thought the PS2 wouldn't be able to really improve this.
- Vagrant Story: Incredible art design, proper cinematography, subdued spectacle at its best.
- Tekken 3: I mean, come on!

Kirabochips

Oct 29, 2017
Metal Gear Solid : What more can I say ?

Vagrant Story : Best use of complex pixel-art on low-poly models. Gorgeous.

SaGa Frontier 2 : Amazing artwork and backgrounds.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Xenogears. Pixelated, yes, but I love it. Doesn't hurt that it's my second favorite PS1 game after Final Fantasy VII as well.

tumblr_mmnaoyMlPw1qbmqaso1_400.gifv

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Breath of Fire 4 to date remains the most seamless marriage of 2D visuals in a 3D environment. It's really hard to find screenshots to do it justice since the internet is littered with emulation shots/footage using filtering or higher than 240p rendering which instantly breaks that precarious balance in fidelity between the two elements.

vSjrxt7.gif
nVfi37P.gif

It came out at the right time for the right system, because I think that modern attempts like Octopath Traveler don't come nearly as close to capturing that sense of consistency where you can barely even tell where the 3D ends and 2D begins.

Yeah, even though the GC version looks miles better, there's something about the pixelated PS1 graphics that make the original "look better" for me and I didn't even play the original until AFTER playing Twin Snakes.

It's probably down to toeing the line between 3D and pixel art aesthetics as many of the best looking games pre-texture filtering did. Twin Snakes goes for a more typical early to mid 2000s 3D look. The texture work in games like MGS1 are deliberately designed to leverage the lack of texture filtering to convey more fine details just using the raw pixel lines. I think it also plays very nicely with the PS1 dithering pass. After filtering became standardized, 3D visuals overall just started getting more blurry and muddy overall as we then only had polygon geometry to convey sharpness. Barring a few exceptions I think it was only really with the advent of 2K-4K texture fidelity we started to overcome this.

I had a similar revelation about Jedi Knight on PC. Released in 1997 and was one of the first games I experienced with hardware acceleration to filter the textures. Thought it looked amazing at the time, but now in retrospect I think it looks much more interesting without it. Texture filtering just blurs out all those deliberate pixel lines in the artwork.

Oct 27, 2017
Vagrant Story is probably the best overall. The character models and animations were really excellent for their time.

After that it's a free-for-all between Final Fantasy IX, Spyro 3, Crash Bandicoot 3, Crash Team Racing, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo (I always thought GT1 looked better than its sequel), Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, Omega Boost and maybe Speed Freaks.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
2d wise it would be rayman
jOpYrp.gif

3d wise

Metal gear solid

3d with pre-rendered backgrounds

Final fantasy 8 / resident evil 3

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
There are obvious graphical powerhouse titles, but here is my personal underdog pick.

Warpath: Jurassic Park
An unsung visual gem, with detailed Dino models that feature some early cosmetic local area damage decaling.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
2D on PlayStation is definitely a better experience, especially those days.

Adventures of Lomax is still awesome to my eyes. It was super cheap until three years ago, now is expensive as fuck... the japanese version is still somewhat payable.

CleJoM-WMAEWxZC.jpg

SaGa Frontier 2 is not really a super essential RPG on the console but holy shit... I still can't believe it was released on PS1.

SLPS01990back.jpg

Harmful Park is still great for its oldschool dotart work... and also is super expensive too (my copy cost less than 100 seven years ago, lucky!).

Harmful-Park-Screenshots.jpg

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Best 3d looking game
1) Megaman Legends (1 and 2)

tenor.gif

2G9G.gif

giphy.gif

Its a game that still looks great today and its a full 3d ps1 game thats very rare. If you play in high res in an emulator it looks amazing.

2) Legend of mana
giphy.gif

images

Hand drawn gorgeous backgrounds, its the most beautiful 2d ps1 game, like everyone said before me.

3. Chrono Cross
Arni-gif.gif

2677be5d5abc85fa6249b21d5daf79c0.gif

Chrono cross is a very beautiful game, the only problem is the resolution, and AI upscalers show how beautiful this game is, i dream of a ps1 emulator with support for mods HD textures, backgrounds etc.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
The PS1's weird 3D texture warping makes some games feel just perfect. I'm mostly thinking of King's Field and Shadow Tower, for that fever dream combination of wobbly pixels and agonisingly slow turning and some of the monsters and audio apparently coming straight out of a nightmare.

Best looking games on the system, no, but still.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
d6q2dDI.png

Legend of Mana is still the prettiest game I've played, and that was on the Playstation 1. Also really like the aesthetic of Saga Frontier 2, and Breath of Fire 4. They would be my top 3.

Final Fantasy 9 and Chrono Cross aged a bit less gracefully, using 3D models for its characters, but as far as PS1 3D goes, those games look fantastic. They do have the benefit of using pre-rendered backgrounds however. As for full 3D games, Mega Man Legends and Vagrant Story are my faves. Mega Man Legends especially stood out to me with its clean pixel-art textures, making it the most expressive looking game on the system.

My top 3 as well, no contest there.

LoM is still my favorite audiovisual experience even today. Most beautiful game with the most beautiful music.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
If I had to just pick 3 that haven't been mentioned, I'd choose:

Resident Evil 3: The pre-rendered backgrounds add a ton of detail to the environments, and they make Raccoon City to come alive (hah) in a very particular way. Even the most mundane locations (like the warehouse right at the beginning) are insanely detailed.
5330810785_66ebb63056_n.jpg

Rayman: You can't beat the art direction and spritework quality of the original Rayman. For my money, it's easily one of the best looking games ever.
Nenuphars.png

Darkstalkers 3/Vampire Savior EX: The even more colorful, more outlandish cousing of Alpha 3. It just oozes personality.
vsav1e.png

Edit: damn, Rayman was mentioned. Fuck it, I'll say Policenauts. If that's considered cheating, then swap it with Dr. Slump. I never played that one, but it looks really good, shares a similar artstyle with Mega Man Legends.

Last edited:

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
People don't really read the OP, do they...

I'll take the L. However, if you're going to point out specific people for things like this, quote everyone who did it. Or else don't quote at all.

After reading OP, here are short reasons why these N64 PS1 games are the console's best looking ones :

Chrono Cross
Still looks great to this day. Anyone with eyes can see that. Has gorgeous bright colors, and some of the best looking environments era for era in the history of video games. Also has pretty good looking characters for the time. Not thinking it aged well is the wrong opinion.

FFIX
A lot of FFIX's charm comes from its art style, but just looking at it with the new HD ports just tells you a lot about how good looking it was for the time. Like Chrono Cross, it was carried a lot by the quality of the environments. It was varied, colorful and beautiful.

MGS
Such a good looking game for the time. It didn't have the environment variety of my previous two choices, but it was still really cool sytllistically (not even sure if that's a word) because of awesome character design and the whole base feeling good. Looking back at it now, it doesn't look that good obviously. But at the time, it was one of the most impressive games visually.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Easy list!
- Wip3out Special Edition: fast, no popping, smooth effects, 60fps mode, variety of models. To be fair, first time I played I thought the PS2 wouldn't be able to really improve this.
- Vagrant Story: Incredible art design, proper cinematography, subdued spectacle at its best.
- Tekken 3: I mean, come on!
I am curious, are you sure there was an 60 fps mode in WP3 SE? It only came out as PAL version.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's Vagrant Story first and foremost. It's the team behind FF Tactics that made one of the most good looking game on the PS1, if not the best. It's literally a team of 2D pixel artists that went on making a gorgeous 3D game. They painstakingly went over all the textures pixel by pixel, inserted vertex colours in order to give the impression of an intricate lighting system.

The characters in this game has three times LESS polygons than characters in FF8 and FF9, and they still look considerably better.

ErvXaOY.png
7K2IWwW.png

rT6HCyK.png

z2beGlC.gif

Then Chrono Cross, the artistry behind that game is unmatched. This game is a painting at avery step. Then Legend of Mana, which is the sam ething as Cross, but with a different art style.

BerserkHobo82

Oct 27, 2017
I think FFIX the whimsical nature blended with 3d graphics were astounding IMO.
Silent Hill just for the lighting is a highlight for me.
Metal Gear solid is always a good entry.
I decided on 3D games as I thought the Saturn was a much better 2D powerhouse