• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
3615036-xbox-new-controller.jpg

Do you think it is an improvement or a bad choice? I know it is suppose to be more like the elite controller's rounded d-pad, but it doesn't look as precise as the faceted component on the premium controller series. We have yet to test it out of course, but what are your initial thoughts on it?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its d-pad for me. I am kinda whatever on d-pads. Think they are all fine. I dont play fighting games tho.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
D-Pad looks improved. I hope it finally has gyro, it should be standard by now, do we have any words on that?

... and what the hell is that middle button?

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If that's really the final design for the d-pad then..... yeah, not good.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Looks... kinda weird? I don't know, I never used anything like that before. I trust that it'll be good though!

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is like one of those times where I was like "there's no way they could REALLY improve on the controller." I knew they could do some minor changes, better sticks, different controller texture, but adding the Elite D-pad and making the controller smaller is imo an absolute major improvement that I hadn't considered, and I'm really excited to get it.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like a dpad. I'll use it for fighting games but I primarily care for the triggers and sticks feel for shooting games.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
As someone with hands probably bigger than some of your heads, hearing it's smaller is a huge red flag. Pretty ambivalent on the rest but I am curious to see details on all the new stuff in it. If it doesn't have gyro or things like that I'll get an Elite 2 and be good.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I have an elite controller and switched the dpad out to be more traditional. This looks like a mix between the elite one and a tradtitional one which I can dig. That being said the dpad barely matters in most games that I play.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Need to try it but it looks like a refinement of the previous controller, which is fine with me. They make one of the best controllers out there, so a few dpad tweaks etc would be welcome.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the alternative D-pad that comes with the Elite controller. I'm looking at it right now. It works great.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know how I feel with them going back to the disc look for the D-Pad. Perfer the setup on the Xbox One controller.

Doesn't really matter anyway since XB1 controllers work on it so....

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I've never used the elite dpad, so it looks iffy to me.

Other than that, being a tiny bit smaller is ok. And a share button! Finally!!

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to see how it feels. There's no better type of dpad than a good disc shaped one as far as I'm concerned but my worry would be that MS have a mixed record with that form themselves.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's shit. The elite dpad thing is bad, first thing I did was swap to the normal dpad. This is a terrible choice.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Looks sexy. Will be the best controller on the market excluding the elite. D-pads are the absolute last thing I care about on controllers.

edit - And those triggers look amazing

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Ive never played fighters and rarely play platformers so im not the best person to speak specifically on the dpad but Im pretty happy its a little smaller and they added usb c and textured triggers

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Depends on the underside of the d-pad, honestly. If Microsoft hasn't changed the way its d-pad works underneath, then I don't foresee this improving anything. I just wish Microsoft would rip off (or license) the design for Sega's older d-pads, specifically the rolling Genesis controller d-pad or the Japanese Saturn controller d-pad.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I like the d-pad on the elite which this is essentially. Although to be honest I never use the d-pad, just feels weird to me. Maybe because I have large hands and it is more comfortable having my thumb on the top stick? Smaller controller is making my wary though. I can hold the Duke comfortably, and the Dualshock 4 and switch controllers already give me hand cramps...

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've never really liked the dish style dpad. On both of my elites I've swapped it out for the +

Off topic: but I really like the grips on the Elite V2's triggers so it's cool to see them implemented here as well.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
I hope they did something about the bumpers. The left one is just so awkward for me to press. The only small complaint I have against these controllers.

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they stuck to the Xbone's D-pad, but I guess I'd have to try this out before writing it off completely.

I am so glad they decided to give this fucking thing a share button, though.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
bumper buttons also look like they are easier to press, I remember it was a problem some people had with he 1st Xbox One controller

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Looks like the optional dpad on the elite controller which is my preferred and best iPad out there imo. Great for fighting games needing precice angle inputs.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Prefer the more traditional dpad of the Xbox One, but I think they said you can use a Xbox One controller with on the Series X? If so I'll probably use that for 2d games.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
This is like one of those times where I was like "there's no way they could REALLY improve on the controller." I knew they could do some minor changes, better sticks, different controller texture, but adding the Elite D-pad and making the controller smaller is imo an absolute major improvement that I hadn't considered, and I'm really excited to get it.
It's even smaller? 😑 I already feel like the XB1 controller is on the lower end of what's comfortable.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm just hoping it's smaller and the shoulder buttons feel slightly better. They also need to make the buttons less clicky than the current one.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The Elite's (alternate) D-pad is crazy good, and the vanilla XB1 pad isn't bad either. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really play any games where a good d-pad is important, so I'm kind of eh whatever.
But I of course hope this design will be an improvement.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very glad it's iterative and that all Xbox One accessories are compatible with the Series X. That's the biggest news here.

The current Xbox controller is virtually flawless already, so I have no complaints.