• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What did you think of Captain Marvel.

• It was great!

Votes: 36 6.1%
  • I thought it was a good, not amazing.

Votes: 267 44.9%
  • Meh

Votes: 251 42.3%
  • “Thumbs way down”

Votes: 40 6.7%

• Total voters

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
How did they do her dirty? She destroyed a huge battle cruiser lol

The fucking "oh no Captain Marvel, the most powerful hero on the battlefield, needs our help getting the gauntlet across the battle" scene. Like, I get the reasoning behind it, but it just made no sense in the context of things.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The fucking "oh no Captain Marvel, the most powerful hero on the battlefield, needs our help getting the gauntlet across the battle" scene. Like, I get the reasoning behind it, but it just made no sense in the context of things.
I also saw Endgame as a send off the original guard. So those guys were gonna get the glory writing wise. Cap, Thor, Iron Man.

Carol, being a newcomer, just didn't have credibility yet—from an audience perspective that is.

Fans were invested in those guys.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I thought it was pretty okay. I like Brie Larson as the character and I'm really looking forward to more in The Marvels.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I liked it. I don't think it's top tier but I was very confused at all the hate when about half of MCU movies were much worse than it.

Also this Ant-Man shade is bizarre to me. Yea, it's mostly a comedy, but it's a good comedy. That moment right before the credits with Luis talking, and the face he makes, fuckin kills me. I had to rewind it twice just to marvel at how perfect it is.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
I also saw Endgame as a send off the original guard. So those guys were gonna get the glory writing wise. Cap, Thor, Iron Man.

Carol, being a newcomer, just didn't have credibility yet—from an audience perspective that is.

I agree. But having Pepper Potts backing up Carol made absolutely no sense lol. Especially since she could fly across the battlefield in like a fraction of a second.

edit: I'm just salty because I love huge power level characters and was annoyed that she felt a bit nerfed

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
One of the weakest mcu movies. It has it's moments but it wasn't actually good until like the last 10 minutes.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I liked it. I don't think it's top tier but I was very confused at all the hate when about half of MCU movies were much worse than it.

Also this Ant-Man shade is bizarre to me. Yea, it's mostly a comedy, but it's a good comedy. That moment right before the credits with Luis talking, and the face he makes, fuckin kills me. I had to rewind it twice just to marvel at how perfect it is.
From what I'm reading here there seems to higher standards since it's a later MCU film.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It was better than I expected it to be.

The chemistry between the actors is good. The central mystery - and Skrull twist - is solid. It accomplishes a fair bit of MCU world building.

Somewhere below Ant-Man and above Dr. Strange.

Mar 30, 2019
I found it standard origin story fare. Not bad but also not great. If they leaned into the Skrull identity paranoia a little more, it may have more to work with.

I didn't mind the twist, but I dunno. It was too afraid to have long-lasting effects, like Skrulls embedded in society or something.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's forgettable. I remember very little about it except some of the action, deaged Fury, and the blockbuster line that was used to signal that it was set in the 90s.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Was okay. Nothing special. I probably wouldn't have went to see it in theaters without Endgame hype. Probably won't see the second in theaters.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I like it, but I hate that they just jammed it in a month before Endgame. Didn't give the character room to breath. When I did a rewatch with friends who hadn't seen most of the MCU, we watched it before homecoming.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I would say it's a somewhat below average Marvel character intro film. Captain Marvel spends too much time under mind control.
I did get a yellow cat after seeing this movie and named him Goose after the cat in this movie though.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I didn't think it was any less forgettable that most of the MCU stuff, or general blockbuster stuff.

I'm fact I don't even think it's forgettable at all, given how often people bring it up. Forgettable is Ant-Man and its sequel. Nobody ever talks about those movies, good or bad. People bring up Captain Marvel all the time, for various reasons.

Middling, sure, but Captain Marvel isn't working with any different recipe than the other films. Most of them are just flashy and momentarily fun and then disappear into the aether.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
It's a top tier MCU movie for me. I loved it a ton and I loved Carol. It's a real shame that we haven't seen more of her just yet, but I'm excited to see her story continue.

I'm hoping The Marvels being a trio movie doesn't take a ton of light away from Carol herself.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly I wanted more. More leaning in to the relationship between Maria and Carol (Tumblr really set my expectations too high for this part of the movie), more establishing Carol as space cop (for all the good and bad that entails), more of Yon Rogg being a dick.

As it was I thought it was mostly just boring bc I wanted more.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
An absolute bore with no redeeming qualities at all, a waste of two hours.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was an above average comic movie. I have no desire to buy it on Blu-ray for collecting nor do I want to rewatch it, but, I wouldn't change the channel if it was on TV.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Love it. I made a thread here but got only 9 responses :(

She's the only hero who actually was so much stronger and didn't bring her down to match her opponents levels

www.resetera.com

Why I Love Captain Marvel (MCU): Or Moments When a MCU Hero Does Not Job

So let's start with these two iconic Thor scenes from the MCU where one of which probably ranks in many people's top 5. https://youtu.be/rLL11dEMGdU?t=176 https://youtu.be/f_LZU7TdvWA?t=145 which brings me to Captain Marvel. One criticism that many (inc. me) have with the MCU is that heroes...

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
its probably the worst MCU to me, i like brie larson, but she was awful in it and it's just an overall dull film

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly don't remember much about it. Didn't leave much of an impression with me aside from the boring action scenes. That chase sequence was so low-energy because of the editing and music.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I thought that, until she rediscovered herself, she was kind of boring, and the movie was only kind of doing half measures. Like, the 90s setting was fun but barely anything was done with it. I like her in the other movies she's been in so my fingers are crossed for the sequel.

Also it was distractingly like a Green Lantern origin story.

Oct 27, 2017
It's one of the better MCU movies. I enjoyed it pretty much all of it. Larson and Jackson were both great, loved the thing with Tony's dad, both the Kree and Skrull, and her friend and her daughter. It was fun.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like a made for TV movie with a big budget, 6/10 kind of fare, no interest to re-watch. Did nothing interesting with the 90s setting to boot.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
It was pretty boring tbh. Not bad or awful but not really interesting. Really felt like a phase 1 movie. Would out it at the same level as the first Thor.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it because I like MCU movies, but I think the character as it's presented in the MCU is boring af

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I wanted to like it so bad but man it was not good. There's some good bits and pieces but I came away thinking it was a cobbled together unfinished mess.

I still like Brie Larson doe and am interested to see where they take her chracter.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Disliked it a lot.
Don't know why you cast an actress like Brie only to have her barely emote in an entire movie. Shes a way better actress than the role required.

Youtubers have dissected it better than I could so I won't do that here.

Its definitely in the "would not watch again" tier of MCU movies (surprisingly small list).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I watched it once, Sam Jackson was kinda funny but the de-aging was awful, the writing of the movie was really bad, and its a movie I'll never watch again.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Disjointed from top to bottom. Brie Larson is usually great but the direction in this was not good and neither was the writing. Captain Marvel really needed to be introduced earlier, in a more elegant way, but I understand Ike was trying his hardest to stop that from happening so I don't resent them all too much for the way they handled it. Just a shame the actual film came out so rough.

For what it's worth, I haven't really minded Captain Marvel since. Thought she was pretty cool in Endgame.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
Fun movie. Liked it a lot.
Just the perfect choices for the soundtrack as well. I kept thinking "Where's the Courtney Love song?" and then that awesome credit sequence starts.