• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of Proto Man?

• He's really cool, I like him.

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • He's ok, I guess.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Not a fan.

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century

1572443397407.gif

Proto Man, known as Blues in Japan, is the progenitor of ALL robots in the Mega Man franchise, being Dr. Light's first creation. Wily also had a hand in his design, which would later be used as a reference in creating his most well known robot, Zero.

latest

Mega Man's older, cooler brother is more powerful than him, but also much more vulnerable. In his playable appearances in Mega Man 9 and 10, he takes more damage than his sibling, and has to rely on his shield to strategically block enemy fire.

Proto Man rarely involves himself in the games he's in, aside from his debut in Mega Man 3. However, this only adds to his air of mystique, showing himself only when he wants to and living life on his own terms.

tumblr_p8yg48EfVq1svj9cuo9_250.png

WIth his trademark visor, scarf, and shield, Proto Man certainly stands out as one of the most unique of Light's robots.

What do you think of our whistling hero?

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Archie comic casting him as an angsty teenager who thought he had been abandoned and replaced, manipulated heart and soul by Wily, was the closest he's ever gotten to being cool.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Honestly he's never done much for me, I far prefer his various successors including ProtoMan.EXE, as well as Bass.

I just find him boring, especially gameplay wise.

His Archie Comic interpretation was one I liked though.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I liked him since I heard that whistle for the first time around 30 years ago.

Bass.exe from the battle network manga is still the goat non-megs character though

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
The angle of him being the "super (yet cursed) proto type" for pretty much every mechanical being in the "robot timeline" was always something that I thought made him neat, much more so than the "aloof and mysterious big brother" trope. Right down to the fact that he's able to openly disobey his creator(s), which is just yet another thing that makes the argument about what truly separates Blues/Rock's generation from X's all the more interesting to speculate.

If there was any real disappointment I had about MM11, it was the fact that Blues didn't show up at all. You'd think a game where the story was all about drudging up some of the origins of Light and Wily's rivalry, as well their respective personal outlooks when it came to what robots should be, would stand to be would be something that ol' Protoman would have taken some interest to, and maybe even challenge Rock's thoughts on such.

Missed opportunity, at least for the sake of world-building and giving Rock and his big bro a little bit of character development.

Last edited:
May 13, 2019
Protoman is supposed to be a precursor to X and the reploids from Megaman X series: a robot capable of independent thought and reasoning. Problems rose when Doctor Light discovered that Protoman's energy core was defective and would eventually shut down permanently. When Light tried to fix this, Proto ran away as he believed the doctor would attempt to modify his personality. Thinking that Protoman was lost forever, Light regretfully gave on him and then created both Mega and Roll to help him in the lab.

Some time later, Doctor Wily found a dying Protoman and repaired him, modifying him into a combat robot. He's also the one that gave Proto those characteristic shades.

Worth nothing that in one of the mangas, Doctor Light installed a version of Asimov's 3 robotic laws on Protoman to make him obedient. Sadly, the commands were bugged, causing his energy levels to be all screwed up. When Light tried to fix this is when Protoman ran away.

At least in that continuity Protoman has a more valid reason for his escape.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
the whistle hurts my ears

his design's good tho and the concept behind him is cool

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
in my head canon he was the annoying guy in MM3 that got promoted to "fake out boss" in MM5. though obvs in the lore there's way much more going on there

Oct 25, 2017
My brother and I flipped out when we found out he was Mega Man's brother during the end credits (wasn't it?) of 3. One of my long standing gaming memories.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Proto Man is cool, but underutilized in the series. Mega Man 3, 4, and 5 use him decently well, but after that he just fades into being inconsequential. He needs more of a role or character arc.

On the other hand his Battle Network counterparts, Chaud and Protoman.exe are fantastic characters and cool rivals to Lan and Megaman.exe. Splicing Proto Man with some of Zero's characteristics produced a great reault.