• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Sword of Seals should be remade?

• Yes, I liked that game, and it needs a remake

Votes: 37 13.8%
  • I liked the game, but would prefer another remake first (for example, Genealogy of the Holy War)

Votes: 112 41.6%
  • I never played it, but I definitely want a remake

Votes: 68 25.3%
  • I didn't like it, but I'd go for a remake

Votes: 12 4.5%
  • I didn't like it and don't think it deserves a remake

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • I just don't care about this game at all

Votes: 27 10.0%

• Total voters

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
fe6-wallpaper-boxart.jpg

Also known as Sword of Seals, Roy's game could be said to be the beginning of a new era of Fire Emblem. It introduced us to a brighter color palette, more streamlined class design, a lighter artstyle, and of course, the fantastic GBA sprite animations.

24-SoSranged.gif

The Binding Blade is probably most known for its hero, Roy, who appeared in Smash Bros. Melee. Despite Roy's popularity in Smash, many people wouldn't get the chance to play his game, because it never received an official release in the west. When the game's prequel, Blazing Sword, was the first Fire Emblem game to be localized, many would jump on the fan translation of Binding Blade (called Sword of Seals, another accurate translation of the game's Japanese title). Even still, for mainstream western gamers, The Binding Blade would be lost to them.

Roy would even vanish from Smash Bros., being replaced with Ike as the representative of the then-latest entry in the Fire Emblem franchise. It wasn't until Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS that he returned, and even then only as DLC. He received a massive redesign, making him look older than his boyish incarnation in his original game, and would again return for Smash Ultimate, where he is once again a fan favorite.

How do you feel about the original game, if you played it? It's known for its harder difficulty as compared to other two GBA games, but the way its story blends in perfectly with its prequel is amazing. If you play Blazing Sword and Binding Blade in chronological order, as most westerners did, it feels entirely natural. It really speaks to how well crafted the narrative in Blazing Sword was.

I also love the super bright colors of this game.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Its a game that desperately needs its map objectives overhauled but I don't expect them to diversify them in a remake.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
The game is really rough around the edges.
  1. Some unfair difficulty and dumb moments like "you had to beat this chapter in 20 turns" that they dont mention,
  2. writing is okay, but nothing special, Blazing Blade makes it a bit better tho
  3. map Design isnt so good
  4. Sprites animations are pretty cool and colorful.

You can see what they learn from Binding Blade when you Playthrough Blazing Sword.

I feel a remake would actually be a great game, even tho some keep saying stuff like "can't wait for roy to be useless for 90% of the game" I doubt Roy is gonna play like the original game. IS are so gonna try to make him stronger and maybe an actual character lol, He's pretty much a blank state might as well try something on that end.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
This, along with 7, should be remastered as a big package that includes both games - and you play them in chronological order. Still my favourite FEs, with the best characters IMO.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
roy sucks. game is significantly dumbed down from SNES. partially due to handheldness. largely pretty boring with a few standout chapters

not remaking holy war next would be astronomically stupid. sigurd is the best FE character

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
It has a huge spot in my heart along with 7--I would love to see them both remade as one game, AFTER I get a remake of Genealogy.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Knowing that it is the same teams that make new games and remakes in Fire Emblem, I prefer that there are no remakes.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The visuals and gameplay of the GBA games hold up great, I would much rather see a translated rerelease than a remake.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
I'd prefer FE4 to get a remake first, but I like FE6. I don't see why they'd remake FE6-7 as one game, considering they're separate, whole games in their own right. That'd be like combining FE4-5 in one game.

It'd be cool if they had a Lilina Hard Mode, to match her dad. She gets treated in secondary stuff as a lord, why not make it official.

latest

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
roy sucks. game is significantly dumbed down from SNES. partially due to handheldness. largely pretty boring with a few standout chapters

Compared to Thracia, yes, but it's a better game than any other FE that came before it - it's easily significantly better than Genealogy and overall stronger than Mystery (though not its remake).

I think Binding Blade is easily the best of the GBA games (unless Blazing Blade's hard modes are really good) and one of the better entries in the series overall. The requirements to unlock the final chapters are a little dumb, but overlookable given how much else the game does right. It really doesn't need a remake though; a translated release would be preferable.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
We need a Geneology remake so that Sigurd can get into Smash and people can lose their mind whinging about it.

If that's not gonna happen then just make new games please. The SNES and GBA games still play and look great, just put them NSO to make them accessible.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's an average game, but I don't think it desperately needs a remake, nor do any other games in the series. A big reason for the Shadows of Valentia remake was to make characters sellable for Heroes and Cipher, the Elibe and Jugdral cast don't have that problem.

Jan 2, 2018
Massachusetts
A remake that combines it with the prequel seems a no-brainer, even if it's not next on the docket. I'd like to think they'd look at what Echoes got right/wrong to help refine such a remake— expand characterization, QoL features, etc come to mind, but also they should not feel constrained by weak mechanics, rules, maps, etc and instead change what doesn't work

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game originally started on the N64, cancelled once Kaga left during development, and then rebooted on the GBA. It had a weird development and some deficiencies that can be seen in the game that could easily be remedied in a remake.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I still would rather have Genealogy and Thracia remade first but I would not be mad if this and 7 are remade before.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
A remake of Blazing and Binding Blade released as a dual pack would be nice. But I would take anything tbh as an Echoes release

Schnee

Oct 25, 2017
I hated the original release and have a laundry list of issues with it. That said, I'd absolutely take a remake that fixes most of those issues though I'd prefer FE4 and 5 get that treatment first.

Feb 12, 2019
I think it's probably one of my least favorite games in the series, though admittedly I haven't played the more recent, improved fan translation. Yeah, it's definitely harder than Blazing Sword, but that has a lot to do with worse map design and enemy reinforcements that move on the turn they spawn.

It could certainly benefit from a remake, but I also think Genealogy is probably more deserving and more likely to happen next.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Roy's game is ok. It made things easier but overall it definitely SHOULD NOT get a remake before one of the GOAT FE games that is Geneology.

Sigurd is one of the best lords of FE, his story with Deirdre is amazing and the game definitely needs to be revamped especially if they keep the amazingly huge maps. Roy on the other hand is super bland and he gets his trademark weapon basically at the end of the game so you never really have that much time with it, which fuckin' blows. That said, Zephiel is a great villain and his design is fucking amazing.

When his game gets a remake, they should do it as a two pack with Blazing Blade and fix quite a lot of things with both. Either way, it most definitely needs to wait its turn. Geneology and Thracia need to come first, people need to know the glory of Sigurd, Lewyn and Aira and how brutal Thracia is.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the worst in the series and I don't think a remake would change much, it's just so dull and boring.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's a top 5 FE game for me. Sure, the story sucks* (that's true of all but maybe three FE games) and the map objectives could use a bit more variety, but it's fast-paced and fun, reasonably challenging in the back half, and quite challenging on hard.

*I disagree with OP's comments about 6's and 7's stories "blend[ing] perfectly." FE7 retroactively makes several characters' behavior in FE6 puzzling.

That said, I'm not really interested in a remake. A localized re-release would be fine.

Last edited:

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Game was incredible average and a step down coming from the Jugdral games, but considering what IS did to Gaiden on 3DS the result could be amazing.

However, Jugdral comes first!

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's a very interesting game, everything FE6 does it's been done better by FE7 and the remake of FE3. Admittedly, gameplay-wise FE6 itself is a sort of FE3 loose remake, after the more experimental games on SNES. Even the story and the characters are quite similar. I see it as a transitional game between the Kaga Era and the modern games - it's not bad, but it feels like a beta of FE7.

I'd like Seisen and Thracia more, tbh.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Tbh I wouldnt want a remake if theyre gonna be truly faithful. If this game gets a remake they should remix the map design and balance a decent amount.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Genealogy first.
It just makes perfect sense, especially with Three Houses as a base

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I will say, it has some of my favorite character aesthetics in all of Fire Emblem. It's not as wild as some later entries, and it's colorful without being "cheery" and still feeling down-to-earth.

Geese.jpg

Galle.jpg

Ekhidna.jpg

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
It's pretty mediocre and Roy is a terrible protagonist.

I'd take a remake of Blazing Sword that leads into Binding Blade though.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
They're pretty meh overall. I didn't super enjoy them.

Genealogy and Thracia deserve a remake first.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good game that would benefit from a remake, including by connecting it better to FE7, but I'd greatly prefer the Jugdral games come first.

I don't think people suggesting a "combo remake" for either Elibe or Jugdral have thought much about what a gargantuan undertaking that would be. Shadows of Valentia featured no map redesign, yet already had to be internally delayed once before it released, and Three Houses had very few maps relative to how many missions it had because they all had to be fully designed in HD 3D, rather than with the more modular assets of previous entries, and was also delayed twice.

It just wouldn't be feasible for them to combine two already large games at a $60 pricepoint, especially if they seek to enrich the experiences as with SoV. Better they approach each remake as a single full-priced game, and they get the time and love they deserve.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Yeah, Genealogy and Thracia first. 6 should absolutely be remade down the line though after 7. A combo pack with 7 wouldn't work as Disclaimer says, but tweak the story and characters to fit better with 7, as well as save file carryover. Roy should have different stats and conversations based on who you pair Eliwood up with, as should the other kids.

Ninian has been retconned as Roy's canon mom, so if you do get that ending it should be acknowledged in gameplay. Manakete Roy would be fun.

Drax

Oregon tag
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say it's an average game, but I don't think it desperately needs a remake, nor do any other games in the series. A big reason for the Shadows of Valentia remake was to make characters sellable for Heroes and Cipher, the Elibe and Jugdral cast don't have that problem.

Jugdral and FE6 still had that problem especially in Heroes. Hell, I would argue that we desperately need another Shadow Dragon remake.

(Pros for FE6 remake)
1. It's the only game directed by Narihiro (Int Sys's Founder); and obviously the first game that was made without Kaga. Its an important game for that reason.
2. While most of the game holds up imho, the soundtrack definitely could use a refresher. I HATE HATE this game's rendition of beyond the (distant skies), but don't mind the smash or premium album 2 versions, songs like the Bern theme or Shaman in the Dark would also benefit.
3. Would be a smother fit with fe7.

I just don't think it should trump genealogy (now Thracia otoh .... I don't know how the fuck you would handle that).

Last edited:

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
please give other characters paired endings so that Lilina can marry her truest love: Gonzalez

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
The Lilina Mode analog to FE7's Hector Mode suggested above is a really, really good idea.

Whatever else happens with a hypothetical FE6 remake, Lilina should absolutely be a lord with much more focus than she got in the original. It would help both her and Roy's characters, and create a nice symmetry with FE7.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer to get a remake of FE4 and 5 first, if only because the originals never released outside of Japan.

But if they do remake Binding Sword, they need to seriously make Roy not suck. You have to baby him until he gets the Sword of Seals, which is literally endgame, and pray to Anna that he manages to get not sucky growths, otherwise, good luck. Even Eliwood, who doesn't impress in particularly anything, is far better.

And the map in Nabata needs to be reworked entirely. That map is nightmare inducing if you're trying to get to the secret chapter.

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
But if they do remake Binding Sword, they need to seriously make Roy not suck. You have to baby him until he gets the Sword of Seals, which is literally endgame, and pray to Anna that he manages to get not sucky growths, otherwise, good luck. Even Eliwood, who doesn't impress in particularly anything, is far better.

His promotion would definitely come earlier in a remake, and I assume his growth rates would be goosed a bit.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This, along with 7, should be remastered as a big package that includes both games - and you play them in chronological order. Still my favourite FEs, with the best characters IMO.
Absolutely, 7 was the first one I played for obvious reasons and I fell in love with the series. Played the fan translation patch of 6 as soon as I could after hours and hours of 7 and being blown away that Roy showed up at the end.

If Genealogy is the next remake that's great but I'd flip for a 7-6 collection using 3H as the ground work.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Hmm its certainly brings up the notion of what deserves a remakes. Genealogy is the better game and stands to benefit from more exposure and probally carries more nostalgia points for it in Japan. Binding blade however has a popular and bankable character built in and could stand to gain more in improvements from is flawed origin. Binding remake could have a big card up its sleeve depending on how they expand or play with its connection to blazing blade and people have already mentioned combining them for a mad awesome package.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
One of the strongest games in the series if you're looking for gameplay tbh.

A shame the changes in its sequel ultimately made balance worse and we never saw the layered side objectives with open map design that still managed to offer a good challenge to such a degree again.

The game could certainly use some fleshing out of its story though.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
It's decent (for what it's worth, it's the first game in the series to have decent character writing overall).

That being said, Genealogy needs a remake far more than it, especially given how poorly characterized most of its cast is.

JMTF

Aug 27, 2018
The hell you guys find of special on 4\5? the only one with an decent story is 11, but it looks like butt,
6 is like the GTA 3 of the series, good base for the future, but feels really shoddy to play after just one sequel.
the bad guy made Hardin look menacing in 12 at least.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Great game, but doesn't really stand out as needing a remake, especially when compared to FE 4 and 5, which also didn't see official Western releases.

Iirc, wasn't everything outside of one map a seize though? That was definitely a bummer.

EDIT: Yeah lol, everything outside of the final battle. Honestly, it didn't bother me too much while playing, but it's definitely bizarre in hindsight, and doesn't compare well to Blazing Blade, which has much better variety.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Roy can wait his turn. His game needs less a remake and more of a total overhaul to account for all the new lore and such added in Eliwood's game, nevermind the game itself's problems that need to be addressed. I'd rather get 4 and 5 out of the way first, as it's the only part of the series that still has zero presence outside Japan. Three Houses took a lot of notes from it and has become pretty beloved, so it seems like a natural followup.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Great game, but doesn't really stand out as needing a remake, especially when compared to FE 4 and 5, which also didn't see official Western releases.

Iirc, wasn't everything outside of one map a seize though? That was definitely a bummer.

EDIT: Yeah lol, everything outside of the final battle. Honestly, it didn't bother me too much while playing, but it's definitely bizarre in hindsight, and doesn't compare well to Blazing Blade, which has much better variety.
Nearly every map's main objective is to seize, yeah. But it has a lot of side objectives throughout.

But it also has things like a mission with four characters to recruit, two start as enemies and one must be recruited with the other(there's another more complicated way as well), and they both have their own armies that each reward us if they all survive, and there's eight houses to visit before they're destroyed which also gives a reward if all are saved. That one is easily one of the most complex maps in the series.

It's really not lacking if we want to do everything. But I guess it's easy to just look at the end goal and think that's all there is, so it gets an undeserved reputation of not having variety.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
I think a Genealogy remake has potential to bring the series to new heights, but also wonder if it might be better for IntSys to work their way up to it by doing Roy Emblem first.

So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ryseing

Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
The hell you guys find of special on 4\5? the only one with an decent story is 11, but it looks like butt,
6 is like the GTA 3 of the series, good base for the future, but feels really shoddy to play after just one sequel.
the bad guy made Hardin look menacing in 12 at least.

I would like to play a properly translated Thracia, one that would presumably be made a tad easier in the process. Since I enjoy the puzzle gameplay FEs, Drax assures me I would like it quite a bit.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I love FE6. Zephiel is one of my favourite FE antagonists, I think it has some pretty great maps, and I don't hate Roy, I actually like him outside of Smash Bros. Despite being pretty rough around the edges the game is really fun and a remake would be phenomenal if it added varied mission objectives, improved supports, was better balanced, and made Roy promote earlier and made the true ending the default ending. I'm sure that they would incorporate reclassing somehow, which I'm open to. Lilina and Guinevere should get more screen time and the latter should become playable (even though the cast is already huge).

I would be really excited for a remake, but not before FE4/5. Those games deserve and need to be remade even more.

Edit: about the Lilina as a lord discussion, I agree but under no circumstances should they make her the typical "naive heroine who wishes for a more peaceful way compared to the brash but ultimately proven right male hero", like what happened with Celica and Alm in SoV. In fact I feel like making her more determined and willing to fight makes more sense considering what happens to her in the game, who her father is, and Roy's character being a reluctant nerdy kid forced to lead because his dad is on sick leave.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I love it, though I never really dug my teeth into it like I have every FE that's released since, as I don't own a copy. I didn't really mind the lack of unique objectives, and I didn't find its difficulty unfair (certainly not when compared to Radiant Dawn, Conquest, or Shin Monshou for me). It didn't quite hook me like FE7 and its design is a little more rough but it's still an amazing game IMO. If it gets remade I guess I'd rather see FE7 remade first as it happens first chronologically.

My dream is probably just an official localization as a Switch downloadable title or something? Maybe in a "Fire Emblem Advance Collection" or something. There's not much I'd change in the GBA games, but the fact that the only way for me to legally play this game in English is to hunt down a legit copy on eBay, dump the ROM, and then apply a patch to said ROM is silly. I could do step 1 and play it in Japanese since I did that for Shin Monshou but eh.

I agree that I'd rather Genealogy get a remake. Preferably with maps that aren't gigantic.