• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel in general about emulation?

• I love emulation and think it's the best way to play older games

Votes: 640 60.8%
  • I'm indifferent to emulation

Votes: 45 4.3%
  • I'd rather play on original hardware, but if emulation is the only choice, I'll take it

Votes: 300 28.5%
  • I only want to play older games on original hardware, emulation just isn't the same

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • I don't play old games unless they're remastered/remade

Votes: 12 1.1%
  • I conflate emulation with piracy because I'm a fool

Votes: 27 2.6%
  • Other (Leave a comment)

Votes: 14 1.3%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's a wonderful way to make older games portable, and functions such as savestates and rewind are a great way of dealing with the artificial difficulty so many older games were plagued with.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I feel exceptionally strongly that the companies that own these games aren't doing a good enough job to preserve them and if there's a way to play a game illegally that exceeds the quality of the legal option then fuck em.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer to play on native hardware, but I like emulation in terms of preserving games....especially arcade games that never got proper ports or a retail release at all.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think it's an absolutely critical part of gaming. Original hardware is great to have, but for the majority of people it'll never be a practical or desirable way to play games. Emulation now, and especially in the future, will be the way most players experience the classics of the past.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I prefer to play on OG hardware since I think setting it up is part of the fun of playing old games.

Also I think it's incredibly sad that emulation/piracy is the only way to preserve games.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think games are just toys in software form. Emulation for me is not very different from running Blender on a better computer than my old one. Maybe it was designed to run on my 2GB laptop, but if I can have a better time on a better machine, why not?

May 15, 2019
It's generally the best way to play a game. Even remasters often have inaccuracies in them, assuming they even let you use the original graphics to begin with. If you have the money to pour into a nice PVM and the right cables that would be the best way to go but for most people (and especially with 3D games you can run at higher res) emulation is the best option.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Emulation is great for the preservation of games and the community is amazing for often pooling money to buy beta versions of games that only exist in a few copies. That Bio Ape game on NES is a great example of that.

I care about the original experience of playing games a lot, but not to the point where it would take too much of my time.
I own a lot of old consoles myself, but if I have the option of playing an RPG with a turbo mode, I will. Old games are notorious for being grind-heavy.
The turbo mode on emulators allows me to play way more games that I ever could.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
It's great, whether you use it to make a game run better, look better, or cheats to make the overall experience more pleasant.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Love emulation. Like you I think save states are a great addition and make older games more accessible.

I have several Nintendo systems and the sorry state of their online classic games makes me shrug my shoulders and have no problem ripping roms. I jail broke my Nintendo classic and will eventually do the same to my snes. Love playing tecmo bowl with updated rosters each year. Wish they had the same thing for tecmo super bowl.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I absolutely prefer original hardware over emulation, but there are some games (like the Sonic Genesis games) I only ever managed to play in emulated format through stuff like the SEGA Classics Collections.

As for emulating my own library of backups, I emulate them sometimes for the novelty of it but generally they're just there to be used on the original hardware without straining the disc drive (or in cases like my PS2, just a straight up necessity since that one completely stopped reading discs so OPL is my only means to play on it at all).

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I prefer original hardware if possible. But its getting harder and harder with the display world phasing out older connection types and so on like hardware failing after years or use or nonuse.

So I fire up emulators for my favorite ps1 titles and so on occasionally but there is always something missing. The hit or miss nature of it sucks as well sometimes and unless theres mass community interest some games just dont get fixed. But all the extra featues and what not that some can do really makes it refreshing to revist an old classic.

It's a great solution to most of my problems when I want to play an old game or one I never got to as a child for sure. Admittedly though I've rarely beaten a emulated game. I always just try them out then drop it usually unless I really, really wanna see the end.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You used save states to beat hard games?

You cheated

Not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

:P
Already a classic.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Original hardware and CRT monitors are the best way to play older games, but emulation made giant steps forward in accuracy and input lag.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the console. I love emulation for anything 2D. I prefer real hardware for 3D consoles though. There are too many things that can go wrong when emulating 3D games.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I'd rather play on actual hardware, but if it's something that is lost to time and there is no other way then I do what I gotta do. As hardware and CD and carts start to fail it will be the only way for future generations to play some of this stuff.

kev

Oct 31, 2017
I love emulation. Not only for old games and systems, but also for newer systems like ps3, Wiiu, Switch or arcade racing (tekknoparrot). I love seeing improvements devs make with every release.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I really love playing on original hardware, where possible, but sometimes emulation is the only way to experience some older games, even from a QOL point of view (say, Jurassic Park on SNES which had no battery save or password system).

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally I'd have a combination of ports to modern hardware along with unlimited backwards compatibility going forward. But since that is never going to happen emulation is absolutely vital. So much would be lost without it.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
my order of preferences about pre-2000 games:
  1. og hardware on CRT
  2. simulated hardware on CRT
  3. emulated hardware on CRT
  4. og hardware on LCD
  5. simulated hardware on LCD
  6. emulated hardware on LCD
Emulation is great for the preservation of games and the community is amazing for often pooling money to buy beta versions of games that only exist in a few copies. That Bio Ape game on NES is a great example of that.
You can play those games (as well as translated games) on original hardware too, thanks to the flash carts.

Jun 2, 2019
I prefer playing in original hardware if possible, but I'll take the convenience of emulation every day. If I can play Symphony of the Night on my 3DS or my phone I'll take it over everything else.

I'm against emulation of current Gen consoles though

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Emulation is great.

As a modern example, I played through Breath of the Wild on a Wii U emulator, allowing me to get 1440p resolution and 60 fps, neither of which are possible on the real Wii U or Switch.
Botw can have too many issues at 60fps, I like it to be exactly like the original version this is why I'll play at 30fps anyway if Switch Pro will not be a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I personally believe that emulation can be better than original hardware because it can lead to improvements that would make it a better experience.

With emulation of old 2D games, we can easily overclock the console via emulator settings, often leading to smoother gameplay. For example, Road Rash on Genesis has a really terrible frame rate (maybe 12 FPS?). But if you load it in an emulator and overclock the game, it runs at like 30 or 60, it's honestly an incredible transformation. And even other games that exhibit mild to moderate slowdown like Mega Man 3 and Kirby's Adventure on NES benefit greatly from an overclock.

Of course, overclocking also can enhance 3D games, but 3D games also give us the ability to make the polygons higher resolution and add and/or employ enhanced effects like anti-aliasing, anistropic filtering, better texture filtering, etc.

In other words, emulation can remove the hardware limitations from the original hardware and allow for an enhanced gameplay experience. Not that original hardware is bad (there are many very great reasons to use it, especially with regards to latency), but overall I think emulation in theory will always have the ability to be better.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Other: I love emulation, I don't think it's always the best way to play older games but it is the simplest for most of us.

Regardless of the piracy debate, I think emulation is in general a great good for preservation.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Original hardware ist best, no question. Especially if it is somewhat special, like arcade cabinets or stuff with exotic features (DS touchscreen and clamshell design, wiimote pointer, etc). Often the "ambience" surrounding the games can be just as important as the games themselves.

Still, emulation is an incredibly important help in keeping our gaming heritage alive and in memory.
Hardware will inevitably die, one day. Hopefully, by that time there will be super high quality emulators available, nurtured and perfected through decades of comparisons with the og hardware. Like, cycle accurate, correct colour encoding and such stuff.

Also, emulation is often the only way to play old games when the hardware itself has self destruct features, like certain arcade cabinets that brick themselves when an internal battery dies.

SoftTaur

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer playing on original hardware but considering I'm living in a one room apartment smaller than my last bedroom it's not possible for me to have multiple consoles set up. Emulation is a great way for me to work on my backlog. Shame Switch doesn't have Virtual Console and PS4 can't play PS1 and PS2 games (or PS3 but PS3 emulation would be ridiculous to expect from the PS4).

EDIT: Also I don't have room for a CRT and my TV doesn't take anything but HDMI and maybe component.

Last edited:

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Emulation allowed me to play games I love so much like BS Zelda that would have NEVER been accessible/lost to time otherwise.

Love it.

I played it on a homebrewed Wii.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For consoles with mostly 3D games such as the N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube/Wii, emulation is a gift thanks to the ability to raise the internal resolution.

For old school stuff I'm more of an FPGA guy lately. Emulation has been great for those lately as well though.

Dec 25, 2018
It's great, keeps us from having to keep old consoles and preserves games in a digital way. The only person I've seen speak against it is non other than Mike Matei.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Emulation has been great over the years, not only providing a platform for more people to experience games that are harder to obtain, but also in being the launchpad for many fan passion projects and even new developers.

It's not only about preservation, it's making the history and culture of video games available to a larger audience.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Imaging playing SSBU as your first smash game and you end up being curious about Ness. Now you want to play Earthbound. Let's talk options.

Buy an SNES and a CRT, and then find a secondary market copy of Earthbound for like $200-500.

Buy an SNES Classic on the secondary market because they're all sold out for like $150-200.

Buy a dead ecosystem (Wii U) just for the virtual console so you can buy Earthbound there.

Who would ever blame somebody for emulating in that scenario? I support emulation when they make classic games a pain in the ass to access. Maybe I'm ignorant to the whole process, but I have to imagine getting ROMs onto NSO or a digital shop would take little to no effort at all.

Dec 25, 2018
Imaging playing SSBU as your first smash game and you end up being curious about Ness. Now you want to play Earthbound. Let's talk options.

Buy an SNES and a CRT, and then find a secondary market copy of Earthbound for like $200-500.

Buy an SNES Classic on the secondary market because they're all sold out for like $150-200.

Buy a dead ecosystem (Wii U) just for the virtual console so you can buy Earthbound there.

Who would ever blame somebody for emulating in that scenario? I support emulation when they make classic games a pain in the ass to access. Maybe I'm ignorant to the whole process, but I have to imagine getting ROMs onto NSO or a digital shop would take little to no effort at all.
People who gate keep saying you have to experience the way it was meant to be played

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I prefer to play on the original hardware but that won't always be option so I definitely consider emulation to be important.

Last edited:

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I am a strong advocate of cycle accurate emulation and the preservation of games.

Sure there are some strong advocates of running games on physical hardware and the original carts or disks, but as unfortunate effect of natural wear and tear over time even the consoles start to fail, and even replacement parts become scarcer due to no one manufacturing them anymore.

Once the original hardware is no longer functional, Emulators that strive for 100% Hardware cycle accuracy will be the only means of running these games including software related issues such as slowdowns and bugs near-perfectly replicated how they were on its original hardware.

What Byuu did with the entire SNES library and his Higan project was absolute blessing for future generations decades from now to experience the SNES almost as close to it's original environment without the actual physical hardware itself.

It's just unfortunate that there aren't many emulators that strive for cycle accuracy as opposed to using hacks and tricks to make the game run with caveats such as inaccurate sound or in-game aspects that aren't quite 100% in terms of behavior on original hardware, but slowly little by little we are getting there.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Emulation should not be confused with game preservation and expensive or rare game collections.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Emulation along with modding/hacking and reverse engineering code are cores of gaming that should never go away.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Emulation should not be confused with game preservation and expensive or rare game collections.
Emulation is preservation. Those old carts won't work forever. With emulation, you preserve much of the original experience without needing original hardware. Emulation is more sustainable than collecting old equipment. It is a better long term solution for preserving the medium.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
For as long as the hardware survives (CRT chassis), i love playing some emulated shmups on a real arcade cabinet.
It's so good!