• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
The infamous reboot that split the fanbase down the middle, the attempted 'Westernization' of the franchise that people either love or avoid like the plague. Now that it's been like 7 years since it came out, what do you think of Ninja Theory's take on the series?

Personally I enjoyed the combat and thought it worked well for a stylish hack and slash but it was a bit too easy. I feel like one of the main reasons some people tend to prefer the reboot's combat over the main series is that it's a lot more accessible, leading to more instant gratification and style ranks, whereas the main games actually required some finesse and skill to pull off the truly spectacular stuff. Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but that's just what I think.

The story was charmingly cringe, especially with how they handled Vergil. I don't really have any problems with Dante, but the stuff they did with Vergil was just full on hilarious. Turning him into a fedorable hackerman was just pure joy, and giving him his own Vergilmobile was just the tip on the iceberg. Then there's this absolute gem of a scene.

5DFD56E7AAAFF0B5F7B46263CEC40F1BBB0CA89E

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Dante is bad the story is bad but I adore this game.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good for a western action game.

Not good enough to take over for the mainline series.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I thought it was not very good, even not as a DMC game. Extremely bland level design, poor writing, and flat characters. It also just has a sick/gross-out aesthetic that I don't think lands particularly well.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty fun gameplay with absolutely atrocious writing. It also had weak bosses (even the bill o'reilly one). The level with the Noisia song was pretty fucking hype.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it had some positive elements. Now that DMC is alive and well I can look back at it and focus on that good stuff. I thought the stages, while maybe not particularly substantive, were still more interesting than the majority of locations in the DMC series. I also thought that it played fairly well (at least the later version of it did) even if it was a step down from the mainline series. The dialogue was embarrassing, though. I also didn't care for the general aesthetic of the characters and bosses.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Combat was great, didn't like the art style and aesthetic though.

Oct 29, 2017
Good for a western action game.

Not good enough to take over for the mainline series.

That's it.

The irony is that Ninja Theory clearly thought they were making something "cooler", but it was just tryhard edgy bullshit in terms of story and tone. Gameplay wise, it had some really neat ideas and mechanics but never measured up to the best of the mainline games, combat wise.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Unbelievably awful writing coating a decent game. Also, it is impossible for me to disassociate the game from those weird homophobic slides they used to promote it.

OP
OP
GurrenSwagann

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Pretty fun gameplay with absolutely atrocious writing. It also had weak bosses (even the bill o'reilly one). The level with the Noisia song was pretty fucking hype.
I think the only decent bosses were the masked dudes and Vergil at the end. Human (ish) sized bosses have always been the best DMC boss fights and the reboot was no different, IMO

OP
OP
GurrenSwagann

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
Unbelievably awful writing coating a decent game. Also, it is impossible for me to disassociate the game from those weird homophobic slides they used to promote it.
I find it ironic that the next game after reboot literally had Cowboy Dante too. Almost like it was them saying 'Dante is 100% this, suck it Ninja Theory' lol

Sesha

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
That selling an action game or a reboot primarily on aesthetics is bad marketing.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Really liked it and think it has one of the best action combat systems.
+Removing the input difficulty lets you delve into deeper mechanic faster. Has a kind of super smash bros approach to inputs.
+Environment art is stellar and has not been matched by any game in the serie
+Dante being on the run then then being on the attack was a very fun framing of the story which I thought was more interesting than Dante always being control of the situation
+Maybe the best Dante? Actually had an interesting character arc and had more personality than "cocky". Although this was after DMC4 Dante which I didn't like.
+That one slide from the presentation that will get posted here is inexcusable and the biggest mark against the legacy of the game

Dante is bad the story is bad but I adore this game.
Dante is the best Dante....every side character is eh to bad.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
It was pretty darn good. It felt like a less silly and more focused version of the original series. It played really well and was a ton of fun. I enjoyed a lot of the new things it tried to do. It also had a fascinating take on demons and the underworld.

I am/was happy we got DMCV, but I wish we had gotten a DmC2 instead. I'd love both versions to keep going, but if I had to choose one, I'd rather it have been DmC.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
A decent game with a lot of flaws:

• Repetitive platforming
  • Unskippable cutscenes
  • Forced walking sections
  • Boring story
  • Cringeworthy dialogue
  • Dante sucked

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Oh also should be commended for trying something new with the level design. That club section was fucking awesome.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
It is the least revolting game of the franchise. The pure sexism and garbage objectification of women in the other games is just ugh.

Anton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The actual gameplay is pretty decent, especially in the DE version, but the art isn't particularly appealing and the story is just straight up dogshit with some incredibly cringeworthy dialogue. Not a big fan of the casual homophobia from that event they did post release either, really baffling how nobody at the time thought that was a bad idea

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't care for the story, but the combat is fun, especially in Definitive Edition.

Also best environments and platforming in the series bar none.

DevilMayBeShy

Dec 4, 2020
The definitive edition actually made it a pretty damn good action game. The story, characters and art direction still suck big time though.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
+That one slide from the presentation that will get posted here is inexcusable and the biggest mark against the legacy of the game
It isn't even one slide. It's multiple slides comparing Dante negatively to camp things or gay cowboys, followed by praise for someone who is naturally cool like Tyler Durden - who is based on a gay writer projecting toxic masculinity to protect himself while he was in the closet.

Like, this is one of the things that they used as a model for this version of Dante.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Boring. I didn't even bother going back for a second run which is pretty rare for me with these games.

The levels looked nice but were mostly just linear paths behind the flair. The combat certainly improved (I played an older build before final) but it always felt kind of missing something. Lots of strange decisions with the controls I didn't like.

OP
OP
GurrenSwagann

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I do have to ask why do people abbreviate it as DMCV? I don't see anyone saying DMCIII or DMCIV for the others

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
The writing is very rough, but I still enjoyed my time with it. Especially when I got around to playing the Definitive Edition since that addressed some of my complaints with the original release.

The main reason I remember the game at this point is because of it actually had some interesting environments which was a first in the series, this only stands out even more given how bland the environments were in V.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Played it twice, DmC and DmC DE. Each time my opinion of the game got worse.

Story was awful with a lot of try hard edgelord humour. Though that was expected because they compared DMC4 Dante to a gay cowboy and saying how that wasn't cool, but Fight Club Tyler is cool. They tried to "fix" stuff in DE but like, Vergil still sniper rifle aborts a baby.
Though honestly it reaches points of so bad it's good so that's fine? But also DmC treats it's one and only main female character like shit and the other one gets a sniper rifle abortion.

The combat is kinda pathetic. Thankfully DE removed the weapons bouncing off mechanic, but it still wasn't worth using the weapons because they did no damage. The combat didn't magically improve that much in DE just because they added a lockon. Dante Must Style is a nice gameplay mode, but iirc the game still uses big damage as a style meter so the game is still awful to play.
Combat itself being subpar is one thing but the enemies in the game are awful.
I don't see how anyone could think it is a good action game. Then again it's really hard to trust people on action game combat opinions. People really do like simplistic stuff that makes you feel good without any real depth to the combat.

The environments were pretty for an Unreal 3 looking video game.

I'm just so glad we eventually got Devil May Cry 5. They took the only good part of DmC with was Vergil's doppelganger mechanic and gave it to him in 5.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't that much worse than DMCIV& V overall and in some aspects, although admittedly less important, it definitely exceeds them.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I feel very strongly about this game. I've been a fan of DMC since day 1 back in the PS2 era, and I think that this is the best game in the whole franchise.

I was super hyped on DMC5 but when the game finally came out I only did one playthrough and I was over it. I could only think to myself why we couldn't have a continuation of the DmC games.

DmC has some of the best level design in the whole franchise. The shifting/inception style levels are brilliant. The Club level is especially fun, not to mention with awesome music.The bosses are some of the best in the series. Shout out to the Bob Barbas fight which I think is one of the top boss fights in video game history.

Initially when the game came out I could see the criticisms with it. But the definitive version fixed everything from the balancing of combat to fixing the style rankings and introducing 60fps and switching out Dante's hair and wardrobe. Other than the cheesy writing (which all DMC games have) I cannot think of too many criticisms with the game.

I will never understand the hate this game gets.

OP
OP
GurrenSwagann

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I feel very strongly about this game. I've been a fan of DMC since day 1 back in the PS2 era, and I think that this is the best game in the whole franchise.

I was super hyped on DMC5 but when the game finally came out I only did one playthrough and I was over it. I could only think to myself why we couldn't have a continuation of the DmC games.

DmC has some of the best level design in the whole franchise. The shifting/inception style levels are brilliant. The Club level is especially fun, not to mention with awesome music.The bosses are some of the best in the series. Shout out to the Bob Barbas fight which I think is one of the top boss fights in video game history.

Initially when the game came out I could see the criticisms with it. But the definitive version fixed everything from the balancing of combat to fixing the style rankings and introducing 60fps and switching out Dante's hair and wardrobe. Other than the cheesy writing (which all DMC games have) I cannot think of too many criticisms with the game.

I will never understand the hate this game gets.
DMC really shines the most after the first playthrough on a higher difficulty with most of your moveset unlocked to play with, so if you only do one playthrough then I don't blame you for not thinking much of it.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Awful trash for a dmc game. It's a good game though after the re-release.. but OG remains the best.

DMC5 is still the pinnacle.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Had this been named something other than Devil May Cry, it would stand out as an excellent freshman effort marred by awful writing and the current gen console versions not being 60FPS

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
Good game, good HnS but awful DMC, trying to be different and being a parody of itself.

Mar 5, 2019
It is the least revolting game of the franchise. The pure sexism and garbage objectification of women in the other games is just ugh.

DmC might be the most misogynistic game I've ever played. The main series is definitely not great when it comes to objectification, but those games have nothing compared to the constant use of the word whore, the rape backstory for Kat, and the infamous sniper rifle abortion scene.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
DMC really shines the most after the first playthrough on a higher difficulty with most of your moveset unlocked to play with, so if you only do one playthrough then I don't blame you for not thinking much of it.

Youre talking about 5? No its not that. Im not a newcomer to the series as mentioned above. I've beaten all the DMC games with the exception of 2 and 5 all the way to Dante must Die/Hell or Hell mode, so im familiar how going higher in difficulties is more fun with the more moves and tougher enemies. I just got bored with 5. I wanted something closer to DmC.

5 had poor level design that looked samey for more than half of the game. Having V as a character slowed the game down to a halt. I honestly wish they would just focus on Nero and Dante more. There were a couple of good bosses but otherwise it was forgettable. And I actually prefer the the more "serious" tone of DmC as opposed to the campy over the top goofy style of the older games.

5 has things it does well. I LOVE Nero's devil breakers and it was such an awesome idea (I wish could switch to whatever weapon I wanted to on the fly rather than choosing my load out at the beginning) and the combat is still fun as ever. I just feel like DmC really pushed the series forward while 5 almost made it go backwards. Its a hot take I know, but im sticking by it.