• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bark Collars?

• Yay

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nay

Votes: 114 76.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 21 14.0%
  • I don't know

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Total voters

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
I'm working outside at Starbucks in this fancy ass neighborhood and this young woman's dog had one on. My first instinct is that they seem pretty cruel but admittedly I don't know shit about dogs or dog training. What do you guys think? Is it an ethical dog training tool or is it too ruff?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a problem with standard training collars and leashes. The dog trainer we worked with used those loop-style leashes, basically a short leash with nylon or hemp woven rope that goes through a loop, you loop it around the dogs neck for corrections. Similar in idea to a choke chain / choke collar, but you use them for corrections, not as a constant source of pressure on the dog. They worked really well even with our 7 year old dog. We had done some training when he was young and he was generally a good dog, but lapsed throughout the years when it comes to obediance (truth is, we lapsed, not him), and when we were having a baby we needed to get him to respond to us better especially on walks and when we had guests over, so we retrained him using a loop leash/training leash. He's still got his moments but he's a good dog and he's wonderful with the baby. He still has jealousy issues when guests come over, he wants to be the center of attention and doesn't get that guests don't want to play with him, but are there to see the baby.

I dunno about bark collars though or what the difference is. If they're the collars that zap a dog when they bark, I'm against them. Dogs barking is part of their natural way they communicate with the world, and who knows they probably work great but they seem wrong to me ... Like a dog only has a handful of ways to communicate, and barking is the least bad of those ways. But, I also live in a sijngle family home with a good amount of yard to let my dog go wild, and if you live in an apartment or your lifestyle is different then different needs for different people.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My dog had extreme anxiety when we left home and we had to deal with multiple nuisance complaints because he would bark at the top of his lungs for the entire time we were gone. We got a bark collar. We put it on once, left, watched him via video. It shocked him once. He jumped back. He barked again, smaller shock. He didn't bark again. We returned home, took it off, left, watched again. No barks.

Threw the collar out. Job done.

EDIT: I should add this came after trying an $800 Barkbusters therapy and training routine for two months.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I've used them before and have friends that use them, in conjunction with a remote that lets you control when the shock is administered. For my use, it wasn't effective, because the shock is weak enough that a determined dog will just keep barking. For my friends' dogs, it seems to work better. My current dog doesn't require one because she's naturally quiet.

I would never throw one on a dog and expect it to magically work. They're intended to be temporary training tools, not a replacement for actually curbing the dog's behavior.

Rise2Ragnarok

Oct 28, 2017
I've never personally been a fan. It always seemed like a bunch of people just used them as a shortcut instead of putting in the work doing training. Dogs are hard work, but they are part of the family and deserve the same respect. :)

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Growing up we a dog that would bark at, quite literally, everything. Like, it became a huge problem. We couldn't go 15 minutes without him losing his fucking mind at a leaf blowing in the wind. We ended up getting a spray-collar that would would spray this lemon-mist near his mouth whenever he barked. It wouldn't hurt him at all, it just tastes incredibly bitter.

After a few weeks, all we had to do was show him the collar when he started barking and he'd shut right-the-fuck up. He eventually even learned what the word "collar" meant and would stop barking the instant we said it. Never had to put it on him again.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I got one for my dog, it was a smell it gave out not a shock. Anyways he destroyed just about instantly and that was that.

Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Cruel and unnecessary. I would never use such a thing on a dog. Punitive things like this are no replacement for actual training.

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I just read about these things... i've never even heard of them.

Would never use them.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Bark collars seem unnecessary when out on a walk

shock collars like any tool can be used incorrectly however but they have their place. Wouldn't trust most dog owners to read up on how to use em correctly however

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Putting them on your dog 24/7 is obviously cruel, but I'm fine with the idea of them being used temporarily just to teach the dog to not bark when you're not around. I say this as a cat person who doesn't really know much about dogs, so I'm open for somebody to change my view on that. I don't know what other alternative training options there are out there.

I think in the absolute worst case scenario, where your dog has too many noise complaints and you're maybe having a difficult time with training, then it would be better to use a shock collar than to give the dog up for adoption.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Depends on how it used. A simple bark collar that shocks a dog when it barks is stupid. However I do believe that e-collars paired with the right training have their place. Pairing a low level zap (one that doesn't harm the dog) with a keyword, visual instruction, and treats can be a very effective training tool.

They should never be used as punishment though! Doing that is extremely harmful and is a disgusting practice.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Yay. Hear me out, they work. We put them on our dog usually on vacation when we have to leave them alone in a hotel or a home they're not used to being in.

It doesn't shock them. You can get bark collers that vibrate as a last resort but it's mostly beeping noises. The dog dislikes the vibrations/beeping. Realizes the barking is doing it and stops.

They are also versions that spray them with citrus smells and the like. Sorta like how you use a spray bottle to keep your dog in line.

Team Yay.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
We tried a shock collar like 10 years ago and it didnt work so we abandoned the idea. Not sure if the technology has changed since then.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like dogs but those always seemed to be abominatinos to me. I'm sure no human would think that a collar that shocks them any time they try to speak "too loud" would be something nice or humane. So why the fuck would we use them on dogs ?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a replacement for real training. It's just another tool in the belt.

We have one for our dog we are trying out. Its tough to tell what "charge level" corresponds with what kinda pain but mine goes from 0-99. I shocked her around 20 and she yelped. Brought it down to like 10ish and the shock just sort of bothered her. She would stop what she was doing.

The best thing about mine is it comes with a vibrate and beep option too. I've always beeped/vibrated before the shock and now I can just vibrate/beep and she knows to stop a bad behavior.

Main reason I got it for me is she will chase a squirell off a cliff if given the opportunity. Any dog that passes by she needs to lunge at them despite playing well in dog parks and such.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on how it used. A simple bark collar that shocks a dog when it barks is stupid. However I do believe that e-collars paired with the right training have their place. Pairing a low level zap (one that doesn't harm the dog) with a keyword, visual instruction, and treats can be a very effective training tool.

They should never be used as punishment though! Doing that is extremely harmful and is a disgusting practice.

Yes this. I get the knee jerk reaction to something called a "shock collar" for dogs but with proper use, they can be an extremely useful training tool. The shocks should not be hurting the dog at all. They are not for punishment. It's really just like giving them a small flick to remind them of the task at hand so they don't get distracted. I had a dog trainer that recommended we try it because my dog was not very responsive to treats and it worked wonders.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Put it on yourself and try it out for awhile and then decide if you want to do that to someone who depends on you for survival and has no concept of conditional love.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
One of our dogs has a real problem barking at absolutely everything so I've thought about getting one of those boxes that makes a dog whistle whenever they bark.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The only people I ever see using them are lazy types who bit off more than they could chew when they got a dog without considering the dedication and training it requires to raise them correctly. To add an extra layer of stupidity to the mix, most people I've known who've used bark collars have dogs that are STILL complete assholes when the collar is removed. Thus proving that the abusive device isn't even successful at doing what it pretends to do and what dumb rednecks think it does.

I understand that these collars are supposed to provide a mild training incentive for the dog but more often than not I see it used as a crutch by these people I'm describing who overuse it as a tool of punishment rather than a nudge toward learning/training.

Like most things in life, there is no substitute for putting in the work required to do it right. At the end of the day, some people just don't have the time, attention or dedication to doing things right.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware that more mild shock collars and vibrating/beeping ones exist. Those are not what I'm referring to above^

Oct 26, 2017
We got one since my dog howls from any sound. Whats nice is we can set it just to vibrate and not actually shock. However, it didn't work well. When you put it on him, he won't bark. Take it off....back to normal barking self. I gave up. He'll bark until the day he dies.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I never used one, but they're not a torture device. The low settings on some of the e-collars is just a vibration, not a shock. They can be used as a training device.

I saw one guy on youtube who was using it for recall training because at the dog park it was always noisy with plenty of distractions, so recall was difficult. A remote vibration from the collar and the dog came running because he related the buzz to getting a treat. It was a positive experience.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
The only people I ever see using them are lazy types who bit off more than they could chew when they got a dog without considering the dedication and training it requires to raise them correctly. To add an extra layer of stupidity to the mix, most people I've known who've used bark collars have dogs that are STILL complete assholes when the collar is removed. Thus proving that the abusive device isn't even successful at doing what it pretends to do and what dumb rednecks think it does.

I understand that these collars are supposed to provide a mild training incentive for the dog but more often than not I see it used as a crutch by these people I'm describing who overuse it as a tool of punishment rather than a nudge toward learning/training.

Like most things in life, there is no substitute for putting in the work required to do it right. At the end of the day, some people just don't have the time, attention or dedication to doing things right.

EDIT: And yes, I'm aware that more mild shock collars and vibrating/beeping ones exist. Those are not what I'm referring to above^
K-9 units use them for training.

They're actually very effective, if you make the effort to learn how to use them. Unfortunately, many view them as a replacement for training instead of a training tool.

Anti-bark collars, the best ones use citronella and can quickly stop that behavior (non-harmful negative behavior association). Anything that uses shocks can make behavior much worse as punishment rarely works better than rewarding positive behavior.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
People overblow the "shock" these give. Its just a little static thing- startling, not really painful. Not really different from the shock you might get pulling wash out of the dryer if humidity is low.

I used one on my great dane to great success. As a puppy she would just incessantly bark at my kids guinea pigs- she got her first correction and it was literally the last time she barked at guinea pigs.

At this point she is fine, and is only really problematic when next-door neighbors have outdoor parties, and she can be quite the nuisance when outside in that situation barking at everyone, but all you have to do is put the color on and she won't bark at all, so its been fine as a deterrent in these odd situations where I can't have my dog making a scene.

As such, I think the device is fine as a tool if it works as a limited use deterrent, but if you are dealing with an animal who "needs" correction all the time, other training methods should probably be figured out.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Some dogs need them. I know my dog does. I just don't have the heart.

We've spent hundreds on his training, but he's extremely territorial (Yorkshire terrier mix). We've watched countless YouTube videos. He'll still bark at the lightest noise, and get really aggressive if there's an animal on the TV. We tried the vibration collar to no avail. I might try a spray collar next. I'd only ever use a manual shock collar if ever I did get one, because I wouldn't want to trust the collar to deliver the shock at the right time.

Our trainer said 9/10 dogs deal well with positive reinforcement, but some (including his own dog) do not.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
If you're my neighbor and you have a dog... Better put that bark collar on.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
One of our dogs has a real problem barking at absolutely everything so I've thought about getting one of those boxes that makes a dog whistle whenever they bark.
I had similar problem with one of my dogs. I bought citronella collar for her. When ever she barked the collar would just shoot up citrus scent from the collar and she would stop. Heck, you can even use plain water in most of those collars. I dropped the collar after one month and no things are fine. Still barks but it's manageable and doesn't bark at every moving thing.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
People overblow the "shock" these give. Its just a little static thing- startling, not really painful. Not really different from the shock you might get pulling wash out of the dryer if humidity is low.

Yeah, that was my source of hesitation when we tried the collar for our Yorkie several years ago. They "shock" is very minor. He's too small, though, and his hair is so thick that it completely prevented the collar from making contact with the skin, so it never really worked more than a handful of times.

We've spent over $2k on trainers and classes to stop the barking at other dogs to no avail. 😑 No issues being left alone, he only freaks out when he sees another dog outside. I feel bad that he's got to be basically isolated from his own kind like that (absolutely loooves being around people, at least).

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
I am not for them for barking. That's what dogs do. I could see being frustrated to a point of wanting to get one though.
Still I can't ever see myself getting one for that. My wife did get an ultra sonic "silencer". Loud for a dog. It gets used rarely (a few times a year maybe). That's only when one of our dogs is just outside barking like crazy at the other dogs barking.

We do have a wireless fence for that same dog. Where if she goes to far, it will shock her. It beeps first. She learned her lesson once. She stays in the area, and knows her limits. The other dog (both pugs) has never needed either of those things. He could be walked without a leash, he's that chill.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The utility of a shock/bark collar is when you're unable to be physically present to train to correct the bad behavior as it happens. Training isn't effective if you're not correcting behavior in the moment.

If your dog barks uncontrollably only when home alone, well, you can't recreate scenarios to train the dog not to bark when home alone... because you can't be there. Otherwise, doggo's not home alone, and the dog's got no issues.

Whether its a sound, a mild shock, or an unpleasant odor, its the remote aspect that allows someone to train the dog by correcting the bad behavior as it happens.

If someone walks around with a dog at a dog park, for example, with one of those collars, though, that strikes me as terrible. Train your dog in the moment.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Im just curious OP. Are you from the US? Causr i never seen one of those here in europe, just like i dont know anyone that keeps a dog in a cage but i know its common in the US

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
they're for the lazy.

just about any behavior in dogs can be properly trained out of them.

Any tips on how to curb barking? We got our dogs when they were 7 so they are about 10ish now. I love them to death but if they see another dog or even hear something that sounds like a collar or leash they lose their minds. And then when the other dogs go away they cry.

I tried the thing that is supposed to make a loud noise but they don't seem to hear it or care if they do.

When we first got them we took them to training. But one still pulls and they both bark.

Housecat

Oct 25, 2017
Shock collars are not legal here so never seen one. I think maybe ones with vibrations can be used in certain situations, but never seen that either.

I wouldn't use either on my dog.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Any tips on how to curb barking? We got our dogs when they were 7 so they are about 10ish now. I love them to death but if they see another dog or even hear something that sounds like a collar or leash they lose their minds. And then when the other dogs go away they cry.

I tried the thing that is supposed to make a loud noise but they don't seem to hear it or care if they do.

When we first got them we took them to training. But one still pulls and they both bark.

How my trainer taught me to train my dog was to get a dog clicker, prime it by clicking it and giving the dog a treat. Do this a bunch. They'll associate the clicking with reward.

For barking say quiet or whatever command word you want to use, and reward them with click and treat only when they stop barking.

For pulling on a leash just reward them when they walk next to you.