• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
My habit:
I never finish them.
And I've played dozens of (J)RPGs since the SNES era.
No regrets, it's still and always has been a fun ride...

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to specialize — with attributes, weapons, skills, even party members if it's that type of RPG.

Always explore new areas thoroughly before advancing story too much.

Fashion > Stats unless I'm getting destroyed or the gains are too good to ignore.

Talk to every NPC.

High Crit all day

Seek out as many quests as possible, but I have no problems skipping or abandoning those that are uninteresting, unrewarding, or contradict my idea of the character(s).

Save like a maniac.

Save some more.

I'm still a cheapskate and a hoarder, but it's not nearly as it used to be.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
Backup saves backing up backup saves all the live long day. Fucking Bethesda rpgs...
i still love them

Hoarding items/potions etc has been even more pervasive when I play jrpgs since I never know if I've actually faced the final....final boss.

Last edited:

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I just hoard healing items, and don't use buff potions or antidotes much at all. Probably make them harder for myself.

I only really play WRPGs anymore.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I like to finish RPGs doing the least effort possible.

Only do the fun sidequests.

Always save atleast on 3 different slots so i don't lose much progress if there's some corrupted files.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
If MP doesn't refresh between fights: Never use spells outside of the magic only classes until the boss fight.

Never use elixirs or other rare items ever because reasons.

Grind to buy the best gear whenever it's available even if you're pretty sure it's going to be in a chest in the very next dungeon.

Flag every side quest immediately when you see it just in case you do it on accident.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I always buy my items in groups of 5, unless I can only afford 1 or 2. Usually 5, 10, 20, and 50.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
Main character needs to always be in the party and as the one who is leading, it just doesn't feel right otherwise.
If I can choose a name for the mc I always keep it as something starting with s to make it feel like its a legacy of characters I have going.
Also any consumable that is not a hp or mp potion might as well not exist.

Nov 1, 2017
I always attempt to fight overpowered enemies early in the game; for fun, and as a reminder of how much stronger I have to get to win next time.

Shoutouts to Territorial Rotbart.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Doing everything but actually finishing the story and fighting the final boss. Usually the final dungeon is a slog and the final boss is a push over compared to the optional areas.

*Watch end credits*

Potion x99
Super Potion x99

I'm guessing this mindset is big reason why many people think RPGs are grindy or mindless.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
If there's just 1-3 super-powerful healing items in the game that revives everyone and fully replenishes their HP/MP, I'm never using them. Even if I'm fighting the strongest bonus boss and everyone's on death's door.

On the flip side: seldom if ever using common healing items after the first ~15% of the game, because eventually it's just not really worth using 71 of my 99 potions to heal my 18,912 HP tank when simply touching a save point or using a full-cure spell will do the same.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
Get told to go to X location and then deliberately go everywhere else except that location until I really have to.
Hoard everything, especially potions because I have no idea what they do except look nice in my inventory at a full stack.
Party priority is women first at all times, unless someone is hilarious/insane and has a space hamster.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Do lots of side content and explore early so I can have cool gear as soon as possible. Also fun to be overleveled
Hoard consumables and never use them
Heal up to full health after every battle
Get all the junk items and sell them even if I have plenty of money

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Always have a dedicated healer in the party.
Never challenge the most difficult optional boss in the game.

Those are my two big habits.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I super closely study party creation, play the game, and then realize that party creation is often the best part.

I don't use useful items as often as I should ("too good to use" syndrome)

I favor passives over actives

I break out calculators and try to think about % increases vs flat increases

I constantly wonder about luck, then usually ignore it as a stat only to find out it has tremendous impact on outcomes

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I must do all possible side content before continuing on the main quest.

Yes, I'm usually massively over levelled by the end.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, and also:

- If there's a dog that can be in my party then the dog will be in my party.
- If you can turn helmets off, then they are turned off.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
I try to do every side quest and way over level through grinding same dungeons over and over to the point where I never have an issue with any bosses. I also always look at guides for best gear locations and for missable items or quests. I want to experience everything the developers spent so much time on making. I always feel like I owe it to them.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Do all the available side quests in an area before continuing on with the main quest.
Have been burned out by quests missing or becoming unavailable so many times, never want to risk it again.

Generally ignore crafting systems unless the game really requires it.
Still do all crafting related quests, but just not bother crafting items if the ones I wear are good enough.

Spec into an agility / fast / nimble / rogue / stealth character by default.
Never bothered playing as anything else unless required by the story or mechanics.

Give all best items to myself / the main character.
Side characters are there mainly to support the main character's adventure.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Get thirty hours in, decide to take a short break. Two years later I boot it back up and realize I forgot everything. Start a new save file.
Repeat.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Save elixir equivalents forever.
Grind to buy 1 of every piece of equipment every time I get to a new city/merchant (I started doing this after my first playthrough of FFIX, not knowing that some weapons, which means abilities/spells, would be locked off at certain points in the story.)

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
At character creation: I'm going to try something new this time, maybe a magic user or two-handed weapon build.
5 hours later: I've spec'd into a stealth/charisma rogue.

Nov 14, 2017
Check every single nook and cranny to make sure I got everything. Save numerous times before continuing on to the next area. Have at least ten save files in the event that I did something undesirable earlier on without realizing it.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Thankfully ive somewhat gotten over the hoarding items things over time. I'll actually use things if I need it.

Other than that though

- if given a choice, always play a rogue/thief/speed-over-Power character. Second playthrough is Magic.
- have to explore the whole area before triggering boss
- all sidequests done before moving on (currently driving me crazy in Dragon's Dogma)
- main character gets all the good stuff unless it doesn't fit their build

Mercedes

Feb 25, 2018
-Hoard consumables.
-Talk to EVERYBODY.
-Explore every nook and cranny before moving on with the main story.
-Only wear armor or clothing that looks good.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't normally hoard potions or items, but I DO obsessively collect every crafting material I see.

Once I played Skyrim with a deliberate no-crafting build and it was so fun and refreshing. "Oh, it's a bunch of flowers and butterflies. Pretty. Keep walking."

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
hoard consumables, especially rare ones, in the off chance that it will help in the final battle.

this habit really stuck out to me when playing persona games. i was always ludicrously stocked on full heal items in 3 and 4 (and probably 5 when i finally finish it).

Jan 4, 2018
-I avoid using buffs/status effects way more than I should.
-Unlock (almost) every passive ability before I start considering active ones.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A habit I used to have was max level all my characters. Even if there was no reason to do so. I think Octopath traveler broke me in this regard, it became such a grind, that i gave up at around lv 80 for all characters and never went back. Now unless its absolutely necessary to have max lv characters for side/post game content, I won't do it anymore.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Round/even number of item stock (if not max).
Talk to everyone... twice... maybe three times.
Rummage through everyone's belongings.

Bad habit would be prioritizing attack/defense power over status and other buff/debuff effects.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In JRPGs:

-Overgrind in the beginning of the game to be able to avoid future grinding sessions, which is dumb since you make exponentally more exp later in the game, but heh I do it anyway by reflex.

-Stack items meant to be used, by effectively not using those and/or using as less as possible. To arrive at the end realizing I shouldn't do that.

-I always tend to miss some deeper mechanic/menu that could make a difference during a brick wall of a boss, like abilities that you can level up with accumulate SP, forging materials to build better weapons/armor instead of just buying the best gear at the shop or something like that.

-Coming back to a game I temporary dropped only to be lost having absolutely no idea what to do or where to go. :lol

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grind way too much so my party is OP

If I can afford it, have at least 50 of HP/MP/Rez/Status ailment potions, by endgame the goal is 99, I start stressing out as soon as these potions are in the 20's

Best equipment goes to the OG characters