• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Do you posses an original Nintendo Switch and you have bought a Lite model? If so, what are your reasons for this? There are indeed pros and cons with this system, especially when comparing it with the original mode, so I think its going to be interesting reading the reasons here.

I have been watching unboxing videos and the thing looks little and beautiful, so answers like "because I want to" are totally ok. I may be falling for it in the future... That tourquoise unit is lit.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
It's more portable and easier to handle overall, which makes it worth it for me. I've been playing some games I haven't touched in some time (Doom 2016, namely) and I'm still impressed by games of that caliber being able to run at all on such a small device.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Although not exactly the same, I do have an OG Switch and picked up the latest revision last week because of the better battery life.

The Lite doesn't seem too appealing to me as of now.

ZevLoveX

Jul 8, 2018
It's more portable and easier to handle overall, which makes it worth it for me. I've been playing some games I haven't touched in some time (Doom 2016, namely) and I'm still impressed by games of that caliber being able to run at all on such a small device.

Pretty much this and also the yellow ones cute.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying it for my kids as a cheaper and smaller alternative. I'm keeping the OG switch for me. TV out and rumble in particular are big deals to me. Astral Chain felt more like a TV game; Link's Awakening more like a portable game, so I 'switch' up. Plus, rumble is actually a big deal for me. Someone mentioned DOOM earlier, I played through that portable and I think for games like that rumble is a pretty important feature.

I think the Switch Lite looks nice though and my kids will love it. I would have gotten one for myself if it had that size but with a bigger screen and rumble.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
As a kind of replacement for my Vita. I read visual novels almost every night in bed until I fall asleep, but my VN's on Vita are running out and Switch looks to be the perfect replacement. That's really the only reason, I'd never buy one otherwise, but I don't like the idea of taking my regular Switch up to bed every night, too accident-prone.

Trickytoon

Jan 14, 2018
My original will stay on CFW and attached to the TV, the slightly reduced size of the Lite better suits my requirements for when I travel for work, and I'll keep the portable one on official firmware for now just in case. I also seem to have a thing for picking up multiple Nintendo handheld SKUs.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I honestly feel like most people who buy a launch Lite when they have an OG just do it because it's something new and it looks cool. lol

They way Nintendo handles multiple systems with one account and cloud saving is not terrible, but it's not ideal either, so it's like people are intentionally causing headaches for themselves by using both with one account. Now, if they had their infrastructure set up like Microsoft with Xbox / PC play anywhere then it would make a lot more sense and I would also buy a Lite probably.

There are a few benefits. $100 less, a little more portable, dpad (but apparently not great), better battery, and colors if that's your thing. If you play the Switch 100% as a portable system then it makes way more sense, but as a complementary system to the OG not so much since the OG is still portable enough with way more features, IMO.

Last edited:

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Games look better on the smaller screen. I found I wasn't playing on the TV much at all because of how unimpressive games looked. Even Ori which looked great on my Lite (albeit tiny) looked kinda blehhh on my TV. I also much prefer the dpad on the Lite to the 4 buttons on the OG joycons and the broken dpad on the Pro controller.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I love handheld systems, and Switch was too big, heavy, and cheap feeling for a proper handheld. I also hated its dpad solution. Despite that, I still played it in handheld mode 90% of the time.

Lite is so light, great size, and feels way more solid. Games look better on its sharper screen. My dpad is very good. As soon as I held it, I knew it was the right choice.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
My wife and I share the OG. We both enjoy the portability aspects so a dedicated portable version is a no brained.

We made the Lite the primary and OG secondary right away. It's lighter and looks wonderful. The size is comfortable and it's a dull yellow. We might sell the OG and get another Lite or wait for more colors if they decide to release more versions.

mgrimble2

Aug 21, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My wife has been getting into gaming more and with Pokemon right around the corner, it was a no brainer.

She tried BOTW but it was a little too much, then I showed her Link's Awakening and that was way more her speed.

Dolorean

Sep 20, 2019
I bought one on release day (already have an original). More solid handheld overall (the original a bit too big for my taste) and improves my handheld gaming. It reduces the friction of me bringing it with me.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Because I can't control my spending, and I don't have any impulse control. /shrugs

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have a Lite yet, but when I do (and I will get one, hopefully soon) here are my reasons for choosing one over an original Switch:

1) I don't care about docking it to a TV. The appeal of the switch to me is the handheld mode, that's what I want to play. I want to play Doom 3 or Zelda or Darkwood or Mudrunner or whatever in bed, on the toilet, on the train, during my lunch break at work - basically like I used to do with my PSP and my DS and 3DS. I have zero interest in playing switch games on a big screen.

B) I don't care about local multiplayer or undocking joycons and playing stuff with a friend.

4) £100 cheaper is quite a draw for me. I've never quite been able to justify the £280 plus games for one, but for example, £219 for a Lite with Links Awakening? That's almost impulse buy territory.

The End.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
The only way I would buy one was if it were smaller. Love the way it looks but it's not different enough in size from the OG to make me want to play it on the go, which would be my only way of justifying the purchase

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I have both the V2 and the lite.
In essence the Switch is perfect for TV/Family sessions, the lite for on the road.
That's said, I travel with the lite and the Switch. Lite on the train, Switch hooked up to the hotel room's screen accompanied with the SF30 Pro.

jonathanp

Oct 28, 2017
I want one since it's more portable. I also figure that the size might make it more comfortable somehow?

I have the OG with a Satisfye grip, but looking at getting those Hori Split Pro Joycon. I'd rather not have to take a bunch of accessories with on my commute just to get some Smash in.

kotowaru

Jan 14, 2018
It feels waaay better and I love handhelds. I still have my OG Switch for the TV but I've pretty much decided that the Lite is my main squeeze from now on.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I did it because I wanted it. No other reason. Now I have two switches and don't know what to do with them. No regrets though.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
I'm buying the Pokémon Lite and I have a regular Switch (last revision before the one with the updated battery). I need a second one mainly because of Pokémon.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
If I do it will be to use it as my handheld version while the switch will always stay docked. Seems a lot more comfortable

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't bought a lite yet, but once the inevitable Zelda edition or Animal Crossing edition hits, I may have to get one.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I haven't bought a Lite (and don't intend to; I'll opt for the refreshed Switch OG w/ better battery life), but if I did, it would be for two reasons:

1) A limited edition Zelda variant is available
2) I want the built-in D-pad for handheld mode

I'd still probably keep my home Switch though for docked mode.

Bend

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a turquoise one, haven't even turned it on yet, but I love portables and this looks like a really nice one. I'll probably end up using it mostly for indies and quick play type games and replace the 3DS I take to work

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to, and hanging kids that are old enough to game (and want to game on my regular model) made it a no-brainer. I have one of the dpad defect models that I plan on returning soon. Might grab a different color too. Gray is nice, but the other two are as well

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't love playing the switch in handheld mode, too bulky, heavy and feels clunky with the detachable joycons. I want something that is smaller and more portable for playing in the bed and on trips. My regular switch will be docked in the living room for multiplayer and for things like ringfit adventure.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017
My two year old managed to grab a wire from the dock and pull the whole thing down, gouging the digitizer in the process. I only used the dock to charge it and played mostly in handheld so I used the as an excuse to trade it into gamestop for the lite model. As a bonus, it is easier to handle, screen dpi is better and I won the d-pad lottery.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Do you posses an original Nintendo Switch and you have bought a Lite model? If so, what are your reasons for this? There are indeed pros and cons with this system, especially when comparing it with the original mode, so I think its going to be interesting reading the reasons here.

I have been watching unboxing videos and the thing looks little and beautiful, so answers like "because I want to" are totally ok. I may be falling for it in the future... That tourquoise unit is lit.
  • Higher PPI, it makes a difference in some lower res games or heavily post processed ones (Astral Chain, Xenoblade, etc.)
  • How solid it feels on your hands, compared to the joycons rails rattling a bit, etc.
  • Yellow color

Ryuun

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
CT
I have the pokemon one preordered. Those of you who have both, how does the lite feel to hold/play vs the og model? Does it feel "lite" enough to be comfortable? I found og switch to feel heavy after playing it for a while.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I was leaning towards it... THought about having one that I normally play out of the house (one that I wouldn't care if I left at work or in the car, etc) , one that I normally play in the house but learned about how Nintendo's license logic works, 'primary' console stuff, and just decided it's not worth the hassle along with the added cost. Decided just to wait if my primary Switch ever craps the bed, then I'll buy a new one and it'll be a Lite.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Just to have a second one around the apartment. Certain games my gf will just play until she is finished so I can't use it. She also travels a lot and wanted her to have one to take with her.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Wrong thread but I want the new Switch with better battery for portable mode. The Lite just isn't for me right now. My OG Switch can stay docked, I almost never undock it anyway. Still thinking about it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Don't have a Lite yet, but when I do (and I will get one, hopefully soon) here are my reasons for choosing one over an original Switch:

1) I don't care about docking it to a TV. The appeal of the switch to me is the handheld mode, that's what I want to play. I want to play Doom 3 or Zelda or Darkwood or Mudrunner or whatever in bed, on the toilet, on the train, during my lunch break at work - basically like I used to do with my PSP and my DS and 3DS. I have zero interest in playing switch games on a big screen.

B) I don't care about local multiplayer or undocking joycons and playing stuff with a friend.

4) £100 cheaper is quite a draw for me. I've never quite been able to justify the £280 plus games for one, but for example, £219 for a Lite with Links Awakening? That's almost impulse buy territory.

The End.
The thread is not asking about why people choose a Lite over a regular. It's asking why go with a Lite if you already have a regular Switch.

Qdor04

Sep 22, 2019
The Switch Lite is my weekday car. Gets thrown in my backpack with some digital games loaded up and whatever I'm actively playing inside its case. Only have to charge it every 3 days or so if the play usage keeps up as is.
My Switch stays home and is used around the house. It now rests in my dock as opposed to on my end table, and I've been using it more for TV play then ever before.
They each fill a a more specific role for me now as I most only play Switch.

NinjaHound

Nov 5, 2017
I am really thinking about trading in my OG switch for a lite. The only games I would ever play docked would be marquee 1st party releases and there's none coming soon that would make me want to experience them on the big screen.

To those that have swapped or have both, is the Lite a much better experience undocked?

eazyweazy3

Oct 27, 2017
I am really thinking about trading in my OG switch for a lite. The only games I would ever play docked would be marquee 1st party releases and there's none coming soon that would make me want to experience them on the big screen.

To those that have swapped or have both, is the Lite a much better experience undocked?

The Lite is great. I never played the regular Switch docked, I only used it in handheld which I believe puts me in the minority and am loving the Lite for what it is.

It feels solid, looks great and functions well for what it is. Haven't ran into any d-pad or drift issues but I'm not worried about that for the time being and I don't play as often as others might. I sold my OG for $265 and bought the Lite so it was a no brainer for me.