• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I am curious to know, what are pepole's personal favourite Warcraft/World of Warcraft charcter as well as the reasons why. Personally i have a couple of favourites but i would like to know pepole's thoughts and opinions on this subject.

I would also be curious to know pepole's least favourite as well

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I used to be Sylvanas for obvious reasons.
It's not Sylvanas anymore for obvious reasons.

She used to be so cool, what a waste.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Sylvanas right up until she burned the tree down

Prior to that I saw her as effectively a vengeful spirit, driven by a single-minded desire to destroy the one who had cursed her, leading her people in pursuit of this and giving them purpose in a world where they never truly belonged. After Arthas' defeat she lost all aim and became suicidal, only to get a glimpse of what awaited her on the other side and being driven by a need to stave off death at all costs, while her constant loneliness and isolation took its toll and forced her to develop a sort of dependence on her people, causing her to refuse to allow them to move on past her because she couldn't with her own family. She was fine with peace at the time but wasn't the type to explain away misunderstandings, more the type to finish whatever fight got started.

Now she's got some weird gambit that I can't follow well.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Pre-WoW? Probably a tie between Kael'thas Sunstrider and Sylvanas Windrunner, who were both amazing characters... and both thoroughly ruined by WoW.

Post-WoW? I'd say Jaina Proudmoore, who was in close running with the other two pre-WoW, but they turned her insane too. Maybe Thalyssra...? Honestly can't think of many I love anymore—everything's so poorly-written.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Frozen Throne era Kael'thas when he was a sympathetic but flawed protagonist.

I thought his campaign built up the world better than any other and seeing how everyone interacts with him and the bloodelves / seeing the conclusion of their narrative arc from RoC -> TFT is one of the more compelling and engaging plotlines in the series and one of the few of Warcraft's tragic arcs that feels earned and thought out.

The way WoW handled his full on heel turn was real bad though and dropped all nuance from one of the only characters in the series who had any to begin with.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I really liked Sylvanas until, well, BFA and the entire handwaving assassination bullshit we got there.

I've always enjoyed the "works in the shadows - for the better good but maybe play by my own rules characters."

Morally grey, if you will.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Still think Illidan and Arthas are the best characters (just killed both of them again today!). Those 2 characters brought the Warcraft RTS and WoW together for me at least. Still think they have the best arcs, even if they had some issues along the way.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
Between:
800px-Lord_Marrowgar_HS.jpg

and
tumblr_ofnuv2zE9F1udnezho3_540.gifv

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Bwonsamdi, the Loa of Death

Blizzard basically slapped Ryuk from Death Note and Facilier from the Princess and the Frog....

....And I have no issue with that.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like that Illidan was redeemed in Legion. His whole refusal of the gift and exploding that annoying windchime was so cathartic.

from the new characters yeah I love Bwonsamdi

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Illidan after the chosen one swerve. They did him dirty in TBC and it started going into a very cliched redemption arc in Legion but that swerve totally redeemed the character for me.

As for WoW-only... Wrathion was cool in MoP before they completely abandoned his plotline

E: beaten by seconds by saci in mostly same words ha

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Throne era Kael'thas when he was a sympathetic but flawed protagonist.

I thought his campaign built up the world better than any other and seeing how everyone interacts with him and the bloodelves / seeing the conclusion of their narrative arc from RoC -> TFT is one of the more compelling and engaging plotlines in the series and one of the few of Warcraft's tragic arcs that feels earned and thought out.

The way WoW handled his full on heel turn was real bad though and dropped all nuance from one of the only characters in the series who had any to begin with.

Yeah TBC shit on Kael'thas pretty hard.

We'll see him again in the Shadowlands expansion where he'll hopefully get a better sendoff.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Saurfang. But that wasnt because of Blizzard, it was the players who made him an icon and memefied him. Then blizzard came like in a parent trying to be cool by embracing what the kids do, incorporated him into their shitty storytelling, and then killed him. Well done blizz.

Shurp

Nov 29, 2017
Gamon

Scrappy little guy, beat on by everyone for years, but through perseverance and sheer will, levels up to become and unstoppable badass and hero of Orgrimmar

LegendofTrey

Oct 27, 2017
Arthas because he's a bad ass. Tragic story but he ended up being a pretty bad ass villain.

I have promised myself and my fiance we will get a white cat and he shall be named Arthas the Lich Kitty.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I have always really liked Anduin, easily one of the most devloped charcters in WOW

You can thank Christie Golden for that (who is now on WoW's writing team). The character was basically nonexistent until Golden decided to focus on him in one of the WoW novels (I think it was the prelude book for Cataclysm?).

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Arthas and Bolvar. I like them for different reasons but it's hilarious that they both ended up becoming the Lich King, and I loved Bolvar far before that happened. Watching that dude AoE Hammer of Justice Horde douchers is what I lived for back in Vanilla.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Frozen Throne era, Kael'Thas. A flawed protagonist. Desperate to save his people, and willing to do anything. Despite his flaws, he really cared for them, behaving like a good leader. Also lived through some real shit thanks to Arthas and the racist Garithos. Of course, WoW ruined him, transforming him into a crazy character.

Aug 10, 2019
Thrall, because I read an entire novel about the orc when Warcraft 3 was coming out. Vanilla WoW is the last game to add to the lore of the Warcraft Universe without most of it being unbelievably childish and dumb.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Kael'thas.
Disappointed how Blizzard handled him,.
I heard that he might be back in Shadowlands, hopefully they do him justice.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Arthas because I'm a sucker for fallen heroes and tragic tales. My second pick would be Thrall, mainly because he's a cool mofo in general but also because I main an orc shaman. <3

Sylvanas was cool but I just hate what they've done with her character. I'm sure there will be a massive plot twist in Shadowlands, but I don't think she can't be redeemed at this point. PS: Blizz could've at least let Bolvar get a few hits in. :(

Also cool: Kael'thas, Jaina, Velen, Algalon, Saurfang and many more. In recent years I've also gained an appreciation for Lor'themar. I'm glad he's being used more.

Tyrande has a nice design, but she's honestly pretty annoying in WoW.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Arthas arc is the apotheosis of blizzard story telling and they've been trying to hit those exact notes again and again since then. I vote him

Not a surprise his expansion in WoW was the peak of the games success too

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla WoW is the last game to add to the lore of the Warcraft Universe without most of it being unbelievably childish and dumb.

And even then, what Vanilla did to the Night Elves was a travesty. Virtually all the unique and interesting traits they exhibited in WC3 were removed in favor of making them bubbly tree hippies who're inexplicably subservient to a human kingdom across the sea.

The whole faction dichotomy as presented by Vanilla sort of pissed on Warcraft III's resolutions. Shoehorned the Night Elves & Forsaken into factions that strained credulity, reinvented ceaseless tensions between the Night Elves and the Warsong to justify their animosity, etc. — so much for Medivh's final words about unity, or the Theramore-Night Elf-New Horde alliance.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anduin Lothar and Uther, else.... Jaina and Anduin Wrynn.

The first two speak for themself. The Lion of Azeroth and the Lightbringer, probably the greatest heroes this world has ever seen (ignoring some op characters lorewise). On the other hand Jaina and Anduin Wrynn, who had the best character developement in recent expansions. Jaina got shit for some happenings at the time of the Siege of Ogrimmar, but her arc got back on track and her latest features (cinematics and soundtrack-themes) were among the best. Same with Anduin Wrynn. And it's always nice to remember when you first visited Stormwind and met Anduin in the throne room... ah, memories. As a fan of the dwarves, I always get sad when I see how little they made with all the great characters of this faction/race they had. So much wasted potential. And Horde... who the fuck gives a shit.

Seeing all this WoW-bashing always makes me smile. I guess most people played Warcraft when they were in teenage years and had lowered expectations. It was the same pulpy but lovable trash back then.

Last edited:

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
Ever since WoW classic my favorite character was Vol'Jin. His re-design was when he really started becoming a cool character and then became Warchief. But then in WoD he was basically completely unused and then he ended up getting killed off by a random Legion NPC, such a waste.

Aug 10, 2019
And even then, what Vanilla did to the Night Elves was a travesty. Virtually all the unique and interesting traits they exhibited in WC3 were removed in favor of making them bubbly tree hippies who're inexplicably subservient to a human kingdom across the sea.

The whole faction dichotomy as presented by Vanilla sort of pissed on Warcraft III's resolutions. Shoehorned the Night Elves & Forsaken into factions that strained credulity, reinvented ceaseless tensions between the Night Elves and the Warsong to justify their animosity, etc. — so much for Medivh's final words about unity, or the Theramore-Night Elf-New Horde alliance.
You're correct on all counts, but vanilla WoW still had decent writing and plot. WoW messed with the racial alliances in order to create faction balance, like the Forsaken being part of the Horde, but at least the reasoning for all the instances and raids made sense within the universe... By the end of Vanilla WoW the story started becoming ridiculous though, and it's just gotten worse and worse.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Personally, I really like Genn Greymane. An old war veteran that has had his heart broken and lost has lost everything, trying to guide Anduin through the horrors of war.

I really like Illidan after the chosen one swerve. They did him dirty in TBC and it started going into a very cliched redemption arc in Legion but that swerve totally redeemed the character for me.

As for WoW-only... Wrathion was cool in MoP before they completely abandoned his plotline

Wrathion is coming back in the next patch. He is also rumoured to have been searching for the Dragon Isles.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
I know next to nothing about Warcraft lore. I played the second one as a kid and played WoW for about a months.

As a big Heroes player however. I love my boy Gary (Garrosh) and Lunara.

I hate Valeera and Kael'Thas.

I understand Garrosh is a bit of a prick however.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Jaina because not only is she hella strong magically, she's just a really great heroine.

ShinMaruku

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty I can't have a favorite character because Blizzard is bad at writing and will ruin great characters. The Lich King, meh,Garrosh kek, they can't write themselves out of a box.