• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Is there ANY benefits towards these? I've seen them quite a bit in Phoenix, especially in the nicer areas, but from what I can tell they really aren't all that much better than the typical cookie cutter suburban sprawl of this city.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
I live in one. The gatedness wasn't really part of the appeal though. I like having a pool and landscaping that I don't have to maintain though.

Gate is open during the day, so it's not some fortress of seclusion.

It's a pretty modest lower middle-class setup, so I suspect the American conception of "gated community" might not be comparable to mine (Australia). Neighbourhood diversity seems equivalent to "the outside".

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I think that's a typical thing rich white 'muricans tend to do to avoid seing people that are not white nor rich.

And i've never seen or heard of such things outside of the US.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I like them, a lot. Irvine is more than 50% gated (probably more like 80%), and we're a minority plurality area. I prefer it when it's mostly neighbors and their friends passing through.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen gated apartment buildings and gated duplex neighborhoods, so it certainly isn't just a rich people thing.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of them where I live. They're fine tbh, I don't live in one but I wouldn't not live in one. I don't understand all of the "rich" comments but maybe I'm just out of touch with era's humour or some users are more ignorant than I thought.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Lots of them where I live. They're fine tbh, I don't live in one but I wouldn't not live in one. I don't understand all of the "rich" comments but maybe I'm just out of touch with era's humour or some users are more ignorant than I thought.

There's definitely rich gated communities, too. Most of the people that I know that personally live there aren't white either, though. Depends where it is, I guess.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like them, a lot. Irvine is more than 50% gated (probably more like 80%), and we're a minority plurality area. I prefer it when it's mostly neighbors and their friends passing through.

Is there a source on that? Just curious since I live in Irvine and 80% sounds awfully high.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Despite what most in this thread seem to believe, gated communities are not primarily occupied by the rich. I mean, rich in the sense that they can afford a house, but if you're really loaded the last thing you're probably going to want to do is live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood with an oppressive HOA policing your aesthetic choices and charging ever-increasing fees for the right to do so. Regardless, a lot of gated community residents around here definitely have a tendency to look down on people who don't live in one.

I would never want to live in one, personally. I feel like you're either getting a weird oppressive HOA situation or living among snobs. Not much of an upside.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely rich gated communities, too. Most of the people that I know that personally live there aren't white either, though. Depends where it is, I guess.

Sure, but in my area most gated communities are lower-middle or middle class. The fact that there's also rich gated communities doesn't mean that generalising all of them as rich is okay.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
They are all over the place in the Chicago suburbs. It's just a neighborhood with a fence/wall around it. What am I supposed to think about them?

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Sure, but in my area most gated communities are lower-middle or middle class. The fact that there's also rich gated communities doesn't mean that generalising all of them as rich is okay.

I used to think the same thing, with the idea of "gated" must mean "rich". I previously went to one in the hills a long time back, and had assumed that all gated communities had a guard guy sitting in a box asking who you were visiting or whatever. Stuff like in movies. But then I started noticing more middle-class apartments and other small neighborhoods with them. Changed my idea on the stereotype.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Is there a source on that? Just curious since I live in Irvine and 80% sounds awfully high.

No, just my guess. I've lived here almost thirty years now and pretty much everywhere is gated, even the trailer park near my house (and most apartment complexes). I'd say 90% of my friends lived in gated communities.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No, just my guess. I've lived here almost thirty years now and pretty much everywhere is gated, even the trailer park near my house (and most apartment complexes). I'd say 90% of my friends lived in gated communities.

Guess it depends on where you live in Irvine, my local neighborhoods have zero gates... same with my friends. Born and raised for almost 30 years as well. It's a big city tho.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
If legally they can gate their community and want to do so, that's fine by me.

people should be free to hang out with whoever feels comfortable

Oct 25, 2017
China
They are good for security and keeping outside disturbances away. For example, my community is finally getting gated after 25(!) years, they should have done it from the start as it seriously devalued the property as people preffered to live in the gated community directly adjacent. Although they have not finished the gating and are just part way through one of the first things that has happened is cars that have been parked there for a long ass time, untaxed, flat tires have been removed. One of the motivators for the gating was so that actual residents could park there as parking is very limited.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Ironically, for all the suggestions that gated communities are a way for people to isolate themselves from others, I am way, way more social with my neighhbours in my gated community than I have been in the last 3 open suburban places I have lived in. Having some common spaces seems to give a feeling of shared ownership. Quiet little private, speed-bumped streets for my son and his friends to scoot around on too.

Oct 27, 2017
I quite fancy living in a gated community, I mean I'm basically better than you rabble, I just can't afford to prove it at the moment.

statha

Feb 15, 2018
Ironically, for all the suggestions that gated communities are a way for people to isolate themselves from others, I am way, way more social with my neighhbours in my gated community than I have been in the last 3 open suburban places I have lived in. Having some common spaces seems to give a feeling of shared ownership. Quiet little private, speed-bumped streets for my son and his friends to scoot around on too.

This. People are more social sharing a common "cause" or shared ownership, taking care of each other and their "premises"

I dont necessarily agree on this, but it happens.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is that theyre for white privileged folk, because thats what's there in my neck of the woods. Shit isn't for me, i'll say that much. I'd rather just stay on my side of the tracks, and they'd be happy with that as well I'm sure.

I know a guy who lives in one and he just got a stern notice he needed to paint his mailbox to coordinate with others in the neighborhood. It was a dark blue but they wanted it a dark green.

No fucking thank you. I'm way too much of a "damn the man" type to deal with that crap.

Last edited:

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
We don't have it much where i live, so im not sure, but i feel like it could easily lead to more gentrification & general inequality.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Currently live in a gated complex, guess it's nice and all but it's a pain in the ass for my friends to visit because every single door needs the fob and there's no guest parking of any shape. kind of lonely that way
I moved in with my friend who lived here before, and back when I lived elsewhere I never wanted to visit their place ever lol

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Almost exclusively filled with the shittiest people imaginable, from my 2 years as a delivery driver. Such a marked difference between one gated off community and the open neighborhood right next door.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I have always found them a bit dystopian. They are not really a thing around here (Finland) though.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think they're much of a thing in Europe although I have seen one, curiously enough, in Kosovo.

They weird me out somehow but they rank pretty low on my list of concerns when it comes to the make up of a city.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
There are two gated sections in my neighborhood, and they got hit three times last week by vehicle rummagings, so I don't think they're necessarily safer.

Emmert

Banned
Oct 23, 2018
User Banned (5 days): Personal attack
I dislike them. Where I'm from they're mainly for snobby conservatives like Kirblar.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's lived in one I say they're just another way for well off people to buy mcmansions and bully each other with their HOA.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought they were just for stuffy rich people but then I lived in the suburbs for a while and became all too familiar with random people just walking through your lawn instead of using the sidewalk a meter or two away and I understood. Not sure how common of an issue that is, because the chaotic energy required to do something that egregious is immense.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Most of them in my area (central Texas) aren't rich. More of the opposite, really.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I have seen gated communities that are nothing more than the same middle class/upper middle class neighborhood right beside it.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I personally don't like the idea at all, as it seems like peak suburbia and I like living in urban areas with walkability, but if it makes them happy and feel safer or whatever, then more power to them.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I don't have problem with as there are a lot of break-ins in my area and the gated apartment complex across the way doesn't have to worry nearly as much as I do about our stuff being broken into or stolen simply because its far harder for people who want to do that kind of stuff to get in and out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in what could basically be described as the diet version of a gated community - my neighborhood was very remote and distant from much of the rest of town, marked with a very obvious sign and all the houses were SIGNIFICANTLY larger than all the other neighborhoods in our nearby orbit.

Despite that, I think gated communities are weird and promote community segregation and an "us vs. them" mentality among neighbors. I'm not a fan.