• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
FromSoft's titles are very memorable for those who are up for the challenge. However, it's difficult to explain why to someone who hasn't played them—it's sort if an "if you know, you know" type of thing.

I think one reason that certain experiences are difficult to convey to those who haven't played the games is that they happen within the context of the rest of the game—and most of the gameplay is grueling trial-by-error andconfronting your own mental fortitude.

So, when something like Sekiro's "WOOHOO" guy just happens to you while you're traversing the deadly Ashina Castle rooftops, it's so blissfully absurd that the tension just sort of explodes out of you in laughter. At least, that was my experience.

What are some priceless, memorable moments that you cherish in these games? Preferably moments that others have experienced as well. They don't have to be scripted (like the "woohoo" guy), but the more relatable the better.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Slowly realizing Bloodborne was, in fact, Lovecraftian horror, has to be up there for me.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Lost Kingdoms 1 for the first time.

Outside of Lost Kingdoms and maybe Armored Core (which I've never played but think it sounds good), I have no interest in their output.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
My entire experience with Dark Souls 1 on PC.

It was my first FromSoftware game and I did three playthroughs with friends.

The whole experience was really great and cant compare it to anything else since then.

Oct 25, 2017
Going down the Undead Parish elevator back to Firelink Shrine has to be THE From Software moment to me. Pure level design bliss.

It really blew me away, and got me 100% hooked if I wasn't before already.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
When Nineball said, "commencing hostilities" at the end of Master of Arena. Then killed me as soon as I landed in the pit.

Last edited:

OGM_Madness

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2019
1. Playing Demon's Souls (PS3) with my SO. So many fun memories from those playthroughs. The other best Coop game we played together was Dead Space 3 and later The Division (the survival mode that came later).
2. The Anor Londo reveal
3. Beating Maria and going through the clock.
4. Jumping into the water to fight Rom (Having played the game super carefully up until that point, I knew jumping into the water meant death, so couldn't believe the game wanted to do just that, I even got a sense of vertigo, like my stomach fell).

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
encountering that giant depraved one on the bridge for the first time in demon's souls
ehknr_d.webp

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
Mine is from Dark Souls 3. After spending hours exploring underground areas, coming up to the surface and being greeted with this

was pretty amazing.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:
OP
OP
b3llydrum

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Slowly realizing Bloodborne was, in fact, Lovecraftian horror, has to be up there for me.
What was the point you started to get that feeling? I've heard people say it was when they first ventured out into the woods towards Byrgenwerth and hit those fucked up fly men.

I had the "transition" spoiled for me, but went in blind other than that. It's my absolute favorite FS game largely because of that transition.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm seeing a lot of armored core stuff here already. Briefly, what are the best armored core games?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
What was the point you started to get that feeling? I've heard people say it was when they first ventured out into the woods towards Byrgenwerth and hit those fucked up fly men.
Lecture Hall followed by Nightmare Frontier. Nightmare Frontier especially. I didn't even get to Rom before the cosmic horror hit me. I found the tonsil stone in Forbidden Woods, read the item description and headed to the place, which pulled me in the Lecture Hall. Before that, only the brainsucker enemy was a hint, and well, I just chalked it up to an enemy similar to the mindflayers in Demon's Souls, having tentacled mini-Cthulhus is fairly standard in fantasy settings so I didn't think anything of it.

But there were a few things. Like the insight thing with Madman's Knowledge, which hinted at some thing deeper than gothic horror. And when I got to the Lecture Building, I thought "haha, am I in Miskatonic University now" kinda jokingly.

And then I entered Nightmare Frontier.... and wow. The dream-world, alien feel of the place, like in those Dream Cycle stories. The "impossible geometry" of the place. The giant white apes. The white slimy shoggoth-looking creatures creeping about all over the place. It was like I had entered Unknown Kadath or something. And then, of course, Amygdala in all her glory and not just a spidery silhouette from a forgotten trailer.

"I am in a Lovecraftian nightmare. Holy shit." I went in blind too, but now I had gained new insight and it blew my mind. After that, the little alien blob in the woods was simply the clincher. "Yep this is cosmic horror now." Byrgenwerth and Rom were almost no surprise. And when I found the Upper Cathedral Ward, and saw the Make Contact gesture, and the Celestial Emissary, and then Ebrietas, it was like "yep yep, of course, cosmic horror, I knew this". Haha.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Playing King's Field on PS1 with my uncle and brother, and having our asses constantly kicked but still pressing onwards.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
easily playing the asian version of Demon's and being summoned by the old monk. knowing almost nothing about the game, this was beyond shocking.

say it on a dunkey video, but guardian ape is pretty damn good too.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many great moments across all Soulsborne games. But I'd like to highlight the Executioners Chariot boss fight from DS2. Such a cool concept for a gimmick fight.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
in Demon's Souls, beating the Tower Knight was the moment i thought to myself " I can do it". Especially back in 2009 when all i cared about was Call of Duty and shooters. Getting deleved by King Allant too. I was thinking to myself "HE CAN DO THAT?!" such a badass

In Dark Souls 3, Meeting Prince Lothric and finding out that he couldn't even become a champion. That made me sad as hell but Also reading about Pontiff Sulyvahn all the way throughout the game and finally meeting him. I was like "omg it's him"

In Bloodborne, Ludwig the holy blade and Gehrman standing up. Also the Moon Presence descending.

in Sekiro, Infiltrating Ashina Castle and finding out all the secrets and alt path within. Acquiring the Mortal Blade and putting Hanbei to rest. Also, acquiring underwater diving and realising that there is combat underwater. And finally, every single headless fight. One of the best and most intense encounters From has ever done.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Was getting dunked by Martyr Logarius for 2 days straight. Coming home from the bar with my roommates while on...substances..and beat him first try. My heart felt like it was going to explode.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
The first few months of Demon's Souls on PS3 were untouchably unique. Nobody knew the game, or how Souls games really "worked" and the in-game note feature was a million times more interesting than how it is nowadays (Definitely anecdotal but I feel like nowadays 80% of messages are tips directly in front of an object/good thing and 20% nothing/baiting people to die).

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Defeating Rom in Bloodborne and hearing Gwyn's theme during the final boss of Dark Souls 3.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hearing the faint theme of Firelink Shrine and realizing I had finally completed that absolutely grueling journey to and from Blighttown is probably my favorite memory from any Soulsborne game.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Breaking through "walls" for the first time. The first is defeating the Tower Knight in Demon's Souls after being stuck for so long. In Bloodborne there was the Blood Starved Beast boss. He gave me so many problems that defeating him was glorious.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Prob. Otogi 1 & 2 on OG Xbox.

I honestly enjoyed them more than modern Souls, etc.

The atmosphere both visual and sound design was just incredible. Soundtrack was off the charts.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Going back to Filrelink shrine by using the shortcut from blighttown. Mind blowing and nothing tops it.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
I know the Cemetery is not the place to go in Dark Souls right away, as you just get your ass handed to you. BUT, I had to try to get the most out of that area before switching to the "correct" progression path. Once I found some items and realized I just couldn't get any further without beefing up my character, I moved on.

There was a moment at the beginning of Sen's Fortress where I realized the Battle Axe wasn't cutting it anymore, and I decided to switch to the Zweihander (which I'd gotten in the cemetery but wasn't ready to use at the time). Suddenly I clicked into place. I realized that a greatsword just...felt right. It fit my style of play. It made me feel like a badass. It's the weapon I used to eventually defeat Ornstein and Smaug on my first try!

Dark Souls is filled with points of payoff but that one for me was *chef's kiss*. Going from semi-struggling to just beating the enemies down was a huge confidence booster.

Second to that was the moment where I realized a major "wraparound" point in the world. Some people get to the Valley of the Drakes by going through Blighttown via the Depths. I did the opposite. That was SO cool. That Metroid-y world design made me fall in love with the game.

Oct 26, 2017
Playing Dark Souls and I was in the catacombs. One of the giant Skeletons booted me off a ledge and I slid all the way down to the bottom but survived somehow, I lit a bonfire because that's what you see one then realized that action got me stuck down there and I didn't really feel like I was ready for this section. For me, that journey of slowly crawling my way back put past sections I was unfamiliar with because I'd been kicked right past them was so tense and memorable followed by the sense of relief when I got to a familiar bonfire.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It is so hard to say what my most memorable moment is because I have had so many.

These are probably my favorites from each game at least.
  • Encountering Eileen the Crow in a close fight against Henryk and making the snap decision to help her even though you're not quite sure what's going on. Then a beleaguered, exhausted Eileen thanking you for stepping in and realizing she would have been killed without your assistance.
  • The beginning of the boss fight with Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls and learning, yes, you are expected to defeat them both at once.
  • Emerging from the Things Betwixt in Dark Souls 2 and seeing Mejula for the first time.
  • Returning to Anor Londo in Dark Souls 3.
  • Looking up at the enormous Storm King in Demon's Souls and firing off as many arrows as I can during each overhead pass.
  • The ape whose head you just cut off with a giant sword getting back up and attacking you with the same sword, head in hand, in Sekiro.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most obvious answer, but that first loop right back to Firelink in Dark Souls 1 after beating the bosses on top of the church.

That was a genuinely fantastic moment, which I had barely experienced before.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
My first game from them was Dark Souls and I loved every bit of it but I can't say I had a "moment" I'd place above all others. Lots of learning moments, lots of times when everything finally clicked and I beat a challenging section, but no "that one moment".

My second was Bloodborne. That one had a moment. I still remember it vividly even now. I wasn't doing anything special, just strolling through the cathedral ward area for the millionth time, but this time I couldn't help but feel something was different. Maybe it was the lighting. Maybe it was the time of the night?

2e596a6fd65cfe25eb26ddad602787d4.jpg

Maybe it was the huge fucking abomination with a billion eyes oh god are those even eyes how does it see and claws and arms hanging onto the wall.

Pretty sure it was the lighting though.

OP
OP
b3llydrum

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
All the loop points in Dark Souls are SO GOOD. The pure satisfaction of discovery in that game is why it's still heralded to this day.
My first mindblowing "loop point", the one that made me stand up and say "oh my god", was way smaller... lol.

It was after defeating my first "wall" in the game - the Undead Burg bridge with the firebomb hollows. That was the moment I came closest to giving up.

Fortunately my wife told me to keep trying, and eventually I defeated the Taurus Demon. Scared and dying, I hid underneath the dragon bridge, stuck in a perilous decision of which doorway might take me to a bonfire. I chose the left.... kicked down the ladder, exhaled in relief at the sight of the bonfire, got to the bottom of the ladder, and realized........ holy shit. I'm here.

I'm at the exact bonfire I left.

The bonfire I've been crawling towards, inch by inch, was the very same bonfire I've been trying to escape.

That was the moment that got me hooked on FromSoft titles...

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Walking out to the switchback cliff in darkroot garden and realizing I am looking up at the taurus demon wall.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Falling in a hole in the Depths only to be faced with these fuckers:

5F7E9E096645EA27890D7448F10D59389C2992D6

I then proceed to die because they are terrifying and get cursed. Didn't play the game again for a while.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing those huge creatures in Bloodborne for the first time, I always just thought it was invisible spirits that killed me when I got close enough. Genuniely made me pause.

Also seeing those babyhead demons from DS3, they were creepy.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
Taking down Isshin the Sword Saint is high up my list. I also really liked the Pthumerian Queen boss fight in Bloodborne even though it wasn't very challenging.

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Got invaded for the first time in Tower of Latria (JP original release). The tension is real.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm seeing a lot of armored core stuff here already. Briefly, what are the best armored core games?
I only played the PS1 and PS2 games excluding Last Raven which I have unopened. So I can't speak of the Armored Core 4/For Answer and Armored Core V.

I like AC3 the best followed by Armored Core: Master of Arena and Nexus.