• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Inspired by the PotC KH3 thread on here, what are your favourite cutscene-to-gameplay transitions? KH3 has a whole host of these and I honestly can't pick between all of them because they're so good.

Fuck these are cleaaaaan. Such a step up from KH and KH2.

Overall though, my absolute favourite one has got to be Marvel's Spider-Man's intro cutscene to gameplay. It works so well to get player's accustomed to the game's web-swinging mechanics as soon as you get in and is just soooooo fucking seamless.

P7z5psn.gif

Last edited:

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the obvious Lost Odyssey mention there's this great Xenoblade 2 example:

JSO0Oht.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

From around 2:48. Can't tell you how many times I got dragged down before I realised it wasn't a cutscene!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza has a great record of doing some awesome dynamic boss intros that go directly into the fight (rather than fade to black). Too many to show, but if I had to pick one, it'd have to be Ishin's final boss fight (spoilers obviously)

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Kingdom Hearts 3 cutscene to gameplay transitions I found to be super distracting. There's a second or so after the transition where the camera is place but you have no control over the character. I do remember being wow'd by the effect until I got to the Tangled world where it felt like they did the transition after every cutscene.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
FFVIII's garden battle on Disc 2 jumps into my head. I think it continued to play in the background at times while you ran around.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God of War is probably the most technically advanced.

But MGS4 is the one I was most impressed when I played it back on last gen. The intro was wooow.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not a specific example, but Octopath Traveler does a great job of transitioning from the cutscenes and boss fights with character specific musical build ups and bridges. Here's a great video that spells out how it's done:

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lost Odyssey is the first one I thought of. It's the earliest example I can think of where I noticed it and thought it looked cool.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the transitions from film-footage to in-game assets in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (PS2) were amazing at the time:

HastyPlainDorado-size_restricted.gif

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Bioshock after the plane goes down. I sat there for 3 minutes before I realized the beautiful flames and water was gameplay.

Jun 12, 2018
MGS4 did it unbelievably well, definitely had the most memorable transitions for me. That lost Odyssey one that is posted above is amazing though, wow.

ZudaPop

Dec 3, 2018
Don't have the gif handy but that scene from UC4 where Nate crashes through a window then slides to cover during that auction.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The mother of in media res openings?

Edit: Bah, can't get the timestamp right. It's 6:39.

Last edited:

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
This has more to do with the graphics but waking up in the beginning of PT then realizing that I'm not in a cutscene anymore blew me away.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I never really thought it was possible till I played God of War, Spiderman, and Kingdom Hearts 3 all within like 5 months of each other.

I used to always put my controller down when a cutscene played, now I dony trust any games enough.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
It's an oldie but the transition from the attract mode cutscene to title screen to menu to story mode gameplay in Super Butoden is so cool