• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I don't know exactly why, but I've been watching a lot of musicals lately. What are your favorite songs from these movies? Here are a few of mine:

1. Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)

Anna and the Apocalypse really surprised me. The movie itself is good, but the songs are just amazing! I debated between Hollywood Ending and Turning My Life Around for my favorite, and I chose the latter. Turning My Life Around is just so fun with Anna being completely oblivious to the zombie apocalypse happening around her. And the graveyard dancing part is so great.

But here is Hollywood Ending too because I love it:

2. Moulin Rouge (2001)

I love this film. The first time I saw it my mind was completely blown away. I think it's Baz Luhrmann's best work.

It's difficult to choose which song I like best, they are all so good. But I think I'll go with Your Song, it's such a beautiful love song. And honorable mentions to One Day I'll Fly Away, The Elephant Love Medley, and El Tango de Roxanne.

3. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

What an absolute classic. And the songs are all so fun! But my favorite from the movie is probably Hot Patootie, Bless My Soul. It's just so much fun. I also really love I'm Going Home and Eddie. The whole movie is always a blast, no matter how many times I watch it.

Last edited:

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017

This one song alone made Chicago worthy of Best Picture

Also one of the rare times i prefer the movie version of a song over the stage version

TheeFanatic

Oct 26, 2017

I can watch Jersey Boys over and over. Even though it's Franki Valli the cast are all singers. Saw them in Vegas one year.
They even made a remix of the song last year.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my faves:

South Park - La Resistance (NSFW)

Marry Poppins - A British Bank:

Has a wonderful followup with "A Man Has Dreams" between Tomlinson & Van Dyke later too.

Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory - Pure Imagination

Always had an amazingly magical feeling to it.

Beauty and the Beast - Tale as old as Time

Last edited:

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Music Man - Ya Got Trouble

(I could make this whole post out of The Music Man, but I will restrain myself)

Moana - I Am Moana

(Likewise, I could make this whole post out of Moana, but I will try desperately to stop myself)

Whitney Houston & Brandy - Impossible

Tangled - I See The Light

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
These are probably all posted, but whatevs! Yes they are all extremely popular lol.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I reaaally hated the songs in Anna and the Apocalypse. There were too many and they were all extremely derivative / insubstantial (similar feelings for horror-musical The Lure, which felt more like a series of music videos than a film).

One of my favourite musical numbers due to how it builds to the god-tier finale, Remember my Forgotten Man from Gold Diggers of 1933:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's corny but I love the Elephant Love Medley from Moulin Rouge.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
The opening to La La Land is a recent favorite for me:

Also if you're in here posting Disney movies and not posting the best one, what are you even doing

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017

It's hard to pick my favorite song from fiddler on the roof. But I would probably pick either sunrise sunset or do you love me.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Might be unfair to post this one as a 'favourite song' since it's mostly about the absolutely legendary gravity defying dance that takes up 75% of the clip, but will do anyway:

The Split Screen Car Bomb sequence from Phantom of the Paradise is also some wonderful filmmaking:

And just cause no one else has posted it yet:

Oct 29, 2017
One of the nice things I can say about Jeffrey Katzenberg Is that he really believed an animated musical could get a BP Oscar, so he would greenlight stuff at Disney and then at DreamWorks with overtly religious themes like Hunchback and Prince of Egypt, which made for some kickass ominous pieces with strong choirs.

I love how the woman's part at the end sounds like Death can Dance.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Phenomal performance for Jennifer Hudson. Even more amazing that this was pretty much her breakout role as an artist/actor and this isn't a easy song to sing in the least bit.

This is slightly cheating since the movie isn't out yet and this is damn near the same as the musical theatre version but I still love this song lol:

How can you NOT dance to this? Orchestration is beautiful, song has so much energy and life to it and phenomenal vocal performances all around. And damn that choreography, the scope of the factory and all of the moving parts.

Basic answer, but this song is so damn catchy:

I'll Cover you from Rent is also really stellar: https://youtu.be/Fi9srqFqCFo

My absolute favorite Disney song: I Just Can't Wait To Be King
The animation here is soooooo damn good. So much great movement and the color choice contrasts so well.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I rewatched Anna and the Apocalypse tonight. It's definitely low budget (relatively speaking), but I love this movie so much! And this rewatch gave me a newfound love for Break Away and Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now. I also definitely recommend watching the Extended Cut if you can.

Last edited:

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so happy Anna and the Apocalypse is getting the amount of love and recognition it deserves. When me and my friend watched we couldn't believe how song after song was just really good and it rolled with it's premise. My personal favorite would be Soldier at War

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Drive It Like You Stole It, Marley & Marley, and even Sunrise, Sunset were already mentioned, so I'll go with this:

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

I watched The Greatest Showman for the first time yesterday. This movie has a lot of lukewarm reviews, so it never really made me want to watch it.

But oh wow, I really liked it! It's true that the story in itself isn't anything special, but the songs are all completely amazing! The Greatest Show is indeed absolutely fantastic, both at the very beginning of the movie and at the very end. I also really liked This Is Me. Never Enough made me tear up. And the back-and-forth between Hugh Jackman and Zack Efron in The Other Side was so delightful.

I also liked the contrast effect the modern dance choreography made against the more historical setting. And wow, Zendaya is ALWAYS on point in everything she does. She was amazing.

I had a really great time watching this.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I watched The Greatest Showman for the first time yesterday. This movie has a lot of lukewarm reviews, so it never really made me want to watch it.

But oh wow, I really liked it! It's true that the story in itself isn't anything special, but the songs are all completely amazing! The Greatest Show is indeed absolutely fantastic, both at the very beginning of the movie and at the very end. I also really liked This Is Me. Never Enough made me tear up. And the back-and-forth between Hugh Jackman and Zack Efron in The Other Side was so delightful.

I also liked the contrast effect the modern dance choreography made against the more historical setting. And wow, Zendaya is ALWAYS on point in everything she does. She was amazing.

I had a really great time watching this.

I love the Greatest Showman so much. Such a fantastic film. It's funny though, I watched this video...

leading up to the movie so much that by the time I actually saw the film, I liked this pitch of the movie better here than I did in the movie. I think for me, The Other Side came away as my favorite scene in the movie. The bartender steals the show too.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Can't go wrong with Judy Garland. The Man that got Away is such a great performance it gives me chills every time.

No big dance numbers, no flashing lights, just pure talent.

And since we are here:

www.youtube.com

Maybe This Time - Full Song - Cabaret 1972 - Liza Minnelli

A young writer gets mixed up with a pleasure-loving singer in the decadent world of 1930s Berlin.Subscribe now to watch more classic film content from TCM h...

Her daughter completely nailing the mood in, in my humble opinion, one of the best movies ever made:

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Fine, if no one else will say it, I will:

A song about a character with very little screen time and no plot relevance to an already paper thin story, but by god can this cat dance.