• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
e5c.gif

Guts and Griffith of course
It will be cute when they finally make up and start a family together.

Rytheran

Oct 27, 2017
Just outside Holtburg
Lady Amalthea and Prince lir and Molly and Schmendrick from The Last Unicorn

One pair is the grand, magical love of a fairy tale, while the other is a grounded, down to earth relationship built one piece at a time without either really realizing it's happening.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Oh gosh a shipping thread. *squee*

Okay so my first ship was Mulder/Scully before I even knew what a ship was.

The first ship I really obsessed over was Buffy/Spike.
tumblr_p8unzuPsEf1qhdii8o2_500.gif

It's the ship that ruined me.

I didn't heavily ship anything else until...
destiel-shoulder-touch.gif

Good lord Destiel. Its right there! It's never gunna happen! But they keep teasing it! And....yeah.

Of course, then this happened:
johnlock.jpg

I know its sorta canon in the literary world but damn did they work the UST on the show.

Right now I'm kinda getting obsessed with:
deckerstar-1.gif

Deckerstar is currently breaking my heart.
(Chloe/Lucifer from Lucifer)

I don't ship like some crazy fans do, merely cheerlead and wish in my heart :p
Edit: I just noticed all my ships have an "other" in them: someone not human or near enough (Sherlock) with a nearly normal person. The weirdest thing is that I more identify with the other; I want the ships to work because they do. Shipping psychology! /fanthropologist

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Benedick and Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing. The first act is mostly just romantic farce, but the final act is really something special to me. That the entire relationship is solidified by a man being willing to listen to a woman, and to willingly choose to reject and denounce his friend's toxic behavior is beautiful. The entire relationship is fun, but that ending is unique among all the comedies.

Gomez and Morticia is another great choice. Pricefield is great, but mostly because of the killer art direction and acting. Finally, if Catra can put herself together and make up for all the stuff she's done, I would love to see Catra and Adora become a couple. I'm not super proud of it, but I think they're cute.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Dipper and Pacifica in Gravity Falls
I'll post my image later, someone actually kinda drew it in honor of my love for it. They are an awesome person.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Oh that's from the She-Ra? Have seen that Catra avatar a few times here. Didn't know it's written by a lesbian. Wife might like to watch it with me.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
xena-gabrielle.png

No pairing is as amazingly perfect as Xena and Gabs*. The incredible ups, the unbelievable downs(Gabs' demon spawned daughter kills Xena's normal spawned son!), the perfect ending.

John and Aeryn from Farscape. Also because it doesn't follow typical tropes of developing and developed romantic relationships in a lot of film/TV do.

91b7ea4416b826662b5732f46491cf37.jpg
* This is the one potential exception, John and Aeryn are pretty much as perfect as can be. It sucks that the average person will only experience these great two characters and their romance through their knock-offs, Starlord and Gamora.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Erika and Chidori from Flowers #1 pairing all time.
I also relaly loved Rinka and Miharu from Fatal Twelve this year.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
My top 5. All these ships never really exerted themselves too much (with the exception of Vita and Virginia which was just overflowing with passion), never really made their grand romantic machinations known. They unfolded naturally and easily.

I recently saw Portrait of a Lady on Fire, so I'd be remiss if I didn't say HĂ©loĂŻse and Marianne.

adDntVM.jpg

Cheating here, because it's not fictional but screw it. These two relationships have been mythicized time and time again: Virginia Woolf and Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf and her one true love, Leonard Woolf.

8UUgclb.png

A4D9LlV.jpg

Elisa and The Fish from The Shape of Water, for the sheer miraculous magic realism of it all.

p12zp6E.jpg

Finally, the special ship. Kumiko Oumae and Kousaka Reina.

JdKS56h.jpg

Get rekt, Shuichi.

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Kevin and Nora in the Leftovers. Raskolnikov and Sonia in Crime & Punishment too.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... what am I missing here? What are ships? Romantic relationships? Platonic relationships with sexual tension? Sexually awkward relationships?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Maggie and Glenn on TV adaption of The Walking Dead is up there.

They were the best.

They killed off Glenn though so I don't feel too bad about falling far behind on it.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... what am I missing here? What are ships? Romantic relationships? Platonic relationships with sexual tension? Sexually awkward relationships?

Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a romantic relationship. It is considered a general term for fans' emotional involvement with the ongoing development of a relationship in a work of fiction. Shipping often takes the form of creative works, including fanfiction and fan art, most often published on the internet. However, shipping can involve virtually any kind of relationship- from the well-known and established, through the ambiguous or those undergoing development, and even all the way to the highly improbable and the blatantly impossible.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
Speaking of Fleabag, how amazing is Phoebe Waller-Bridge. I love her unreservedly.

And the lack of Aubrey-Machurin in this thread is disgusting. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany fart in your general direction.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Jim and Pam, from the Office (US), are great until they actually get together. Then they're just kind of annoying. But that Season 3 payoff is one of the *best* payoffs of any show I can think of. There's not many shows, too, that are so patient to make you wait for the payoff like that.

Ron Swanson and Lucy Lawless in Parks & Rec, whenever they get together, are very believable and good.

Andy & April are also great, even when they get together their relationship doesn't suck, which is very surprising for most shows. Again, a pretty solid build up and payoff for that one too.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

The Birch parents from Big Mouth. They have such genuine love, affection, and warmth for one another. They also discuss complex issues frankly and honestly with their kids. They also pretty much want to fuck each other 24/7. 20+ years together with my wife and 2 kids later, we're very much like them. Our eyes still light up when we see each other.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
xena-gabrielle.png

No pairing is as amazingly perfect as Xena and Gabs*. The incredible ups, the unbelievable downs(Gabs' demon spawned daughter kills Xena's normal spawned son!), the perfect ending.

I watched Xena as a kid / pre-teen. Did they ever get together or was it just always kinda hinted at for people to make the romance if they wanted to?

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
8aafd4379bf5b3b016361d108ef7f7c7.png

This couple reminds me so much of me in my middle and high school years. They're just so wholesome and cute. Takagi is always teasing and getting the better of Nishikata and there's even a sequel manga where they're married and have a child together. Just super wholesome.
100x this. I just got to current on both of these and It's been my guilty pleasure this month.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yang x Blake aka Bumbleby (RWBY)
Adora x Catra (She-Ra)
Korra x Asami (Legend of Korra)
Pharah x Mercy aka Pharmercy (Overwatch)
Tracer x Widowmaker (Overwatch)
Rei x Ami (Sailor Moon)
Peyton x Brooke (One Tree Hill)

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Lapidot is something I ship (Steven Universe)
Holo + Lawrence (Spice and Wolf)
Yuri + Victor (Yuri on Ice)
Kaguya + Miyuki (Kaguya Love is War)
Fitz and Jemma (agents of shield)
Luna + Sam (Loud House)
Turk + JD (Scrubs)

I'm sure there are others, but I don't think about shipping that often.

phatmac

Dec 18, 2017
temlvuuvhav21.png

Saber and Shirou is my favorite. While the anime has done an okay job at portraying their relationship, the VN does an excellent job. Shirou and Saber have a fantastic relationship that is all about pursuing their ideals. Shirou is so sweet to Saber to even considering her human needs and being the only man to ever ask her what she really wants to do besides being chained to the role as a king. Their end in the Fate route is sad, but it's a happy one that Shirou will always follow her ideals and try to make them real. Then the last episode comes in and makes their love real with one of the most beautiful epilogues ever created. Their love is just so pure.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I watched Xena as a kid / pre-teen. Did they ever get together or was it just always kinda hinted at for people to make the romance if they wanted to?
They didn't ever "seal the deal" on screen. It was always subtext. Some of the subtext was very heavy, but there were a number of reasons they didn't do it through the run of the series. I was disappointed with the finale, though... Tapert's reasoning wrt Ares didn't make a lot of sense there.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's right it's a shipping thread! Post all your favorite ships and tell us why you like them, why seeing these fictional characters all lovey-dovey makes you feel good.

I of course have many ships but my "core four" favorites are:

l5n1gkmnl9m11.png

Korra and Asami (The Legend of Korra)
Yes, I know they didn't get to spend much time together. No, straights, that ending did not "come out of nowhere" and you don't need six seasons of buildup for one character to ask another character on a casual date. The relatively minimal development these two get merely means we have more fodder for fanfiction and art! Korra is super hot a total dork and seeing her pal around with the more confident Asami is fun. I do think a rewrite of the series with Asami as a Zuko-style villain who becomes redeemed would be better (and give us that enemies-to-lovers angssssst...more on that in a minute). The ongoing Korra comics taking place after the finale have given them some real relationship development including ~k i s s i n g~. Watching Korrasami go from an anti-Makorra joke ship in season 1 to a legitimate canon ship by the end of season 4 was one of my favorite TV-viewing experiences of all time...I'll never forget my reaction to that finale. I think my spirit left my body for a few minutes.

Max and Chloe (Life Is Strange)
Who doesn't love these two dorks? Chloe is one of my favorite and most sympathetic video game characters ever, and this whole game is devoted to her relationship with Max. It's a realistic representation of being a useless lesbian growing apart from your friends, helping friends who have experienced trauma, reconnecting old relationships, hunting down murderers, and fighting spirit tornadoes, all normal things that we have all experienced. This game was a surprising breath of fresh air in the current generation of gaming and the adorable cuteness of Pricefield has given it longevity long past its release date. So basically my point is Chloe Price is an innocent jellybean who did nothing wrong and must be protected at all costs.

36f61251bb8bb6d4f6d08b09a316ab316f919dcd.jpg

Clarke and Lexa (The 100)
I just love these two to death. Some of the first (and only) queer protagonist representation on TV in a series that has nothing to do with sexuality. It was so great and refreshing to get a cool badass gritty sci-fi show where the main character just happens to be bi and it's not a big thing. This show is the bomb, one of the most underrated on TV, and Clexa was the height of the show. They had realistic tension, the angssst of being two factional leaders on opposite sides of a conflict, and so much chemistry. God damn. Unfortunately, we all know how this ended: a disastrous implosion, all the good will the writers had built up over two seasons gone in an instant in favor of cheap shock value. But again: that's where the realm of fanfiction comes to the rescue! And it started an important conversation about the way writers treat LGBT characters that some people have hopefully taken lessons from.

Screen_Shot_2018_12_03_at_3.36.23_PM.0.png

Catra and Adora (She-Ra and the Princesses of Power)
This one has it all, folks. The tension, the old friends-turned-enemies angsssst, the valiant princess hero and her devious archenemy who is really just a broken girl in need of some hardcore therapy. These two have such a realistic portrayal of a destroyed relationship "friendship" where both parties still obviously have confused, complex feelings for each other. And Catra is just such a wonderful nuanced and complicated character. Unlike all the other examples on my list, She-Ra is written by an actual lesbian and it shows in how weapons-grade gay this series is and how positive and well-meaning the queer representatation is. And unlike my other examples, this ship remains unresolved! Will Catra finally get some therapy? Will Adora's powerful gay energy lure Catra from the dark side to redemption? Is Catradora the true ultimate endgame? Find out next season onnnnnn She-Ra!

Other honorable mentions:
Yorkie and Kelly from Black Mirror's "San Junipero": This isn't really much of a ship since it's just one episode of a TV show, but it's such a perfect episode and beautiful relationship that must be mentioned
Root and Shaw from Person of Interest: Another cute will they/won't they that unfortunately ends tragically
Pharah/Mercy, Mercy/Widowmaker, Tracer/Widowmaker, and Pharah/Brigitte from Overwatch: I just ship basically any two cute girls from this game that refuses to give me any actual ~lore~ but I think Pharah and Brigitte are the cutest because they would have grown up together as Overwatch kids, lost touch as teens, and then met again as adults now. Give us the good shit in Overwatch 2 Blizzard! Oh, wait...China

Anyway hit me with your best ships ERA, I know a bunch of you are closeted Reylos, show yourselves.
I love you and all of these ships.

I played LiS for the first time earlier this year and Pricefield is my favorite thing ever and makes me regret wasting my life not playing LiS back when it was released.