• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Karakato

Oct 29, 2017
I've mostly played well known metroidvanias but the only one i can think of that fits the bill (and one that hasn't been mentioned here yet) is a 3ds eshop exclusive game, Bloody Vampire. I admit it's not as good as many metroidvanias listed here but still feel it's worth a mention since it has long since been delisted from the eshop when the game company Agetec pulled all their games from the store. It's a mostly serviceable game that's sadly inaccessible in any official capacity anymore.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Iconoclasts is one of my favorites. Better controls than most metroidvanias, and the plot (although still a bit too blabby) is one of few game stories I've cared about. Quite linear though, but I didn't have a problem with that.
Same here, my dude!
I like the elegant approach Konjak took with the systems. Instead of a relentless string of upgrades, the levels and puzzles pushed your current repitoire to the limit.
Also the pixel art's just too top-notch, bringing to mind late-SNES/ early-Saturn games.
iconoclasts-animation.gif

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
Quackshot and Monster World IV are awesome. Super Adventure Island II is a real good metroidvania too.

Castlevania Lecarde Chronicles 2(fangame) is probably one of the best Castlevania games and it's not even an official game of the franchise but it should be.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the day, a lot of EGM/1up folks would thrash Tails Adventures on the Game Gear, often mixing it up with the completely-different "Tails Sky Patrol."

Tails Adventures is basically the Game Gear's one and only Metroidvania. It's cute and charming, though it's also not very fast or complex.

The game's biggest actual problem is that Tails has limited inventory space so you can only equip four gadgets at a time, and only one can be in use at the same time. So you might find a pair of running shoes that let you sprint like Sonic, but that means unequipping your weapon in order to use them. Fortunately, the difficulty isn't mean enough for it to really matter. It's just a little tedious having to go back to Tails' workshop to change out equipment all the time.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I'm playing through Touhou Luna Knights and it's really good. The map is not really that big from what I've seen, but the combat is where this game shines.

I find it a bit too difficult though! My reflexes are not that sharp, so I basically do a boss per week because it takes me some training lol.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
The Mummy Demastered.

Pretty solid game.

What's that they say about the first post nailing it? It actually angers me that so many people have slept on this one. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal, and you'd think it would be on a lot more people's radar being both an excellent Metroid style game and one of those instances where the game is light years ahead of the movie (like X-Men Origins Wolverine).

I'll continue to... what's the word the kids use these days... "stan"... for it.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Stealth, Inc. 2 (formerly Stealth Bastards I think?) was a super fun Metroidvania type game. Running around a top secret lab saving your fellow clones, involving lots of stealth and puzzles, powerups, hacking, big overworld. Damn I need my Wii U back lol

toad02

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
  • Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • La Mulana
  • Yoku's Island Express
  • Gato Roboto

Last edited:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
61GFR6RESYL._AC_SX466_.jpg

This thing of beauty was incredible when it came out.

gb_tmnt3radicalrescue_front.jpg

Fun fact: this was made by the future Symphony of the Night team.

flypaper808

Oct 8, 2018
Double Fine's Headlander is really well designed and has a fun gimmick where you detach your head and control a variety of robots. Combat is fun too.

Illuminati80

Nov 28, 2017
Recently I've been Putting in some time with Carrion on Gamepass...more of a Metroidvania lite, but it's been holding my interest. It has been fun playing as essentially "The Thing" of Carpenter fame.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37739

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Blasphemous recently has been a real joy. Excellent animation work and satisfying combat - occasional platforming and puzzling that is fun without being tedious and just fantastic art direction. Really nice use of shortcuts and level design too - the recent update is impressive. I'd really recommend this one.

To a lesser degree, I'd also call out Un-Epic, which has some genuinely fun writing (think Monkey Island, in terms of tone) and despite not having the best combat, does a lot with what it has. Boss battles are smart and fun and the levels are well put together. It's won't to stand shoulder to shoulder with the bigger names out there, but for what is clearly a very low budget project, it's absolutely brimming with heart.

Based on this thread alone I should revisit Axiom Verge and Chasm. I think the environment design of Axiom Verge's first area always puts me, but I need to get over that.

Last edited:

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
There are quite a few really amazing overlooked metroidvanias on Steam, the ones that hurt the most to see unloved personally are Dandara and Treasure Adventure World (this is sort of a Treasure Adventure Island remaster). I'd put those 2 just below Hollow Knight and on par with other metroidvania greats like Axiom Verge or Salt & Sanctuary.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Touhou Luna Nights would probably be mine. The time mechanics are great and it has the graze mechanic that Touhou games have. It is definitely a lot more of a smaller map but what really makes the game is all the time based mechanics used for exploration and combat.
1534482125886.gif

Pharaoh Rebirth+ is one of their earlier games and has the same kind of metroidvania-lite map. It is broken up into levels rather than one big map. It is very cute, you play as a guy who is a bunny trying to stop a pharoah curse. There's a lot of charm to it and I did really enjoy my time with it.
header.jpg

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I don't know that it counts as lesser known but I haven't really seen anyone talk about it since it's original release: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. I really enjoyed playing through that game.
I really enjoyed this game and i don't see it mentioned anywhere in the discussions about metroidvanias and while i think it is not on the same level than games like super metroid or symphony of the night it is still worth playing.

Mungan

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I don't know if Tombi on the playstation is considered to be a metroidvania, but if it is I pick that one.

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
A Robot Named Fight! continues to be the only real roguelite meets metroidvania that works for me with every run being its own new mini Super Metroid game with very close to Super Metroid mechanics and controls all over the place! It's about to hit it's third anniversary being out on both Steam and Switch and is about to get another HUGE content update that adds a bunch of new items and modes into the game (including a "MegaMap" Mode which truly feels like a proper randomized new Super Metroid)

5b192f9858d126529bd18539d748a200c3dcf1a616a7f690fea2292ce47a60d6.jpg

DjXRXUmV4AEgtaj.jpg

Plus it just got announced next year it is getting a physical release on Nintendo Switch!

I have almost 200 hours just on the steam version of the game and with the new update (and the lone man dev saying there is still more in the future coming) upcoming, i don't see that stopping in any way... plus the fact they are starting to get races going too!

diegov

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really enjoyed Teslagrad. It has charming visuals and wordless narrative, and very competently designed metroidvania rooms.

+1 for Outland. Played it this year and it's amazing! (Last boss was too hard for me, tho. 😓 )

Also playing Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit these days. While the gameplay and controls have some flaws, I'm totally digging the humor. Laughed out loud several times already. :>

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
A Robot Named Fight! continues to be the only real roguelite meets metroidvania that works for me with every run being its own new mini Super Metroid game with very close to Super Metroid mechanics and controls all over the place! It's about to hit it's third anniversary being out on both Steam and Switch and is about to get another HUGE content update that adds a bunch of new items and modes into the game (including a "MegaMap" Mode which truly feels like a proper randomized new Super Metroid)

5b192f9858d126529bd18539d748a200c3dcf1a616a7f690fea2292ce47a60d6.jpg

DjXRXUmV4AEgtaj.jpg

Plus it just got announced next year it is getting a physical release on Nintendo Switch!

I have almost 200 hours just on the steam version of the game and with the new update (and the lone man dev saying there is still more in the future coming) upcoming, i don't see that stopping in any way... plus the fact they are starting to get races going too!

I forgot I bought this game a long time ago and still need to play it. Great reminder and time to do deep dive on update/content added

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Monster Boy counts as a lesser known metroidvania?

Environmental Station Alpha is awesome too

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Environmental Station Alpha and Castle in the Darkness. Both are really well designed and packed with clever, rewarding secrets. ESA especially is kind of absurd with how far you can fall down the rabbit hole with secrets and post-game stuff, which isn't surprisingly considering it's developed by Arvi Teikari/Hempuli (Baba is You, Noita).

Alwa's Awakening is nice too, although I remember the level design being a bit funky in some areas. The sequel Alwa's Legacy came out not too long ago, probably gonna pick it up soon.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day, a lot of EGM/1up folks would thrash Tails Adventures on the Game Gear, often mixing it up with the completely-different "Tails Sky Patrol."

Tails Adventures is basically the Game Gear's one and only Metroidvania. It's cute and charming, though it's also not very fast or complex.

The game's biggest actual problem is that Tails has limited inventory space so you can only equip four gadgets at a time, and only one can be in use at the same time. So you might find a pair of running shoes that let you sprint like Sonic, but that means unequipping your weapon in order to use them. Fortunately, the difficulty isn't mean enough for it to really matter. It's just a little tedious having to go back to Tails' workshop to change out equipment all the time.

It was also one of the very few completely exclusive GameGear games that I found enjoyable beyond the noviety of being able to play in color on the go.

Sora64

Mar 22, 2020
There's definitely a ton of great ones but if I had to name just one it would be Timespinner. First off it's another successful Kickstarter project which doesn't get mentioned whenever Kickstarter is talked about. It goes for a PS1 look which I prefer than the usual 8/16 bit. Has a great story, a beautiful soundtrack, tons of side content, fun combat that you can customize to your liking, a extra dungeon, multiple endings, etc. It's so damn good. It's on PC/PS4/PS Vita/Switch, and Xbox One. Please check it out! Here's a song from the game.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed Teslagrad. It has charming visuals and wordless narrative, and very competently designed metroidvania rooms.
The lightning flash move ruined that one for me. You have to use it a lot and it was kinda headache inducing. I'm sensitive to that sort of thing but it still seemed like something they could have added an option to, to turn off the effect. Seemed like a cool game otherwise though.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
A lot of great games have already been mentioned here, but Exhumed/Powerslave needs more love. It's a fantastic metroidvania FPS that's definitely worth a look if you're a fan of either of the genres. It's one of my favourite Saturn games.

f1923b6bccea32ce3eca3df52deee7a195eb8dd7.gifv

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Did you know that there was a sequel to The Goonies? Did you know it only is alive in video game form?

The Goonies 2 is one part metroidvania, one part dungeon crawler. Platforming levels were interspersed with dungeons where our hero could punch, hammer, or climb his way to more useful items that would open up later pathways or help him in his quest to rescue his friends.

I recall enjoying it at least.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favorite Metrovanias is one that I've never heard anyone else bring up: Castle in the Darkness.

Timespinner is also fantastic. I hold the first platinum trophy in the PS4 version and have been meaning to go back and replay it on Vita now that it's been patched up.

May 10, 2019
A lot of folks have picked great ones so here's one kinda outside a lot of the margins.

yaru.itch.io

Heart Of Ruin: Final Columbus by Yal

Post-apocalyptic vampire metroidvania.

Heart of Ruin: Final Columbus - an open-world Cave Story-style adventure set in post-post-post apocalyptic Columbus, Ohio, mixing supernatural survivalists and ruined technology. Technically never really polished to the point of completion but still completely playable from start to end. It's also on GameJolt if that's your preference.

Also not getting enough attention:

The second great 2D Soulslike after Salt & Sanctuary.

One of the few comedy Metroidvanias I'd ever recommend, has a bit of Napoleon Dynamite energy with better and more crass jokes.

Certified masterpiece from the god year of 2013. All puzzles, no combat, brutally good story.

dipship31

Oct 26, 2017
Did you know that there was a sequel to The Goonies? Did you know it only is alive in video game form?

The Goonies 2 is one part metroidvania, one part dungeon crawler. Platforming levels were interspersed with dungeons where our hero could punch, hammer, or climb his way to more useful items that would open up later pathways or help him in his quest to rescue his friends.

loved this game as a kid but it was super tough and kind of obscure at times (like a ton of NES games)

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

the La-Mulana games are definitely influenced by Goonies 2 (especially factoring in the "front/back" sides of the map).

Hell look at the box art for the Beep physical release:

Ee8BhMLU0AACWP4

Goonies MSX:

cbf7b927.jpg

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Outland is one of the best games ever but I wouldn't call it a Metroidvania.

Has anyone played Rex Rocket? It's super hard (too hard) but I really enjoyed it regardless. I feel like the same 20ish metroidvanias get recommended, which makes sense because they're great, but I'm trying to go a little more obscure in my mention.

I also like Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, but more for its visuals and style than its metroidvania aspects.

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
A lot of great games have already been mentioned here, but Exhumed/Powerslave needs more love. It's a fantastic metroidvania FPS that's definitely worth a look if you're a fan of either of the genres. It's one of my favourite Saturn games.

f1923b6bccea32ce3eca3df52deee7a195eb8dd7.gifv
I really wish something had come out of that powerslave EX port. I remember shortly after it got taken down I think Nightdive trademarked Powerslave.

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight was the perfect length with great aesthetic once you get over the giant tit monster fight