• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Specifically just houses and mansions, so no castles. Been engrossed in Mad Monster Mansion, which inspired me to seek out other cool levels in gaming that are based on this setting. Mad Monster is my favorite currently.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
First that comes to mind is the Shinra Manor in FFVII. I still think it's creepy (including its rendition in Crisis Core).

Disasterpeace

Banned
Apr 17, 2020
Resident Evil's mansion

latest

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
The Haunted House in Silent Hill 3. Feels overkill to have a haunted house in such a creepy game, but boy, was it effective.

Also the house you explore in Born from a Wish, SH2 prologue.

Peradam

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Jan 11, 2018
The mansion in NieR and what comes after it, if only for the perspective change.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
The best one for me is easily the house in the original Layers of Fear. Knowing nothing about that game and picking it up and playing it blind was a true joy when it released.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
The PT house, and the demo version of Resident Evil 7, which is different from the real game, are my favorites

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not sure if it counts, but there were some really excellent immersive haunted house mods for Gmod back in the day.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Shinra Manor, Spencer Mansiin.
Both are extremely immersive.

Edit: from FFVII and Resident Evil

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta be Luigi's Mansion for me. While it wasn't traditionally scary, it was still a very fun and eerie experience as a kid.
5.jpg

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Woodside/Blue Creek Apartments
from Silent Hill 2.

The Mansions from REmake and Code Veronica.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I like the mansion in the first Luigi's Mansion. Not spooky per se, but incredibly charming with a sense of identity the other two games don't really replicate or follow as well.

It was kind of like the Spencer Mansion from RE, but family friendly.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I replayed Banjo Kazooie last year and Mad Monster Mansion really was a lot of fun. Speaking of Rare, I also really like setting in Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
24109.png

Super Mario 64's Big Boo's Mansion is the first one that came to mind, as the theming felt so strong to me as a young child (the piano!). Discovering its entrance in the castle was a true highlight of the game for me.

Last edited:

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
There's a really fun one in The Division 2 actually. Well, "Haunted House" as in the theme park attraction.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
24109.png

Super Mario 64's Big Boo's Mansion is the first one that came to mind, as the theming feeled so strong to me as a young child (the piano!). Discovering its entrance in the castle was a true highlight of the game for me.

The Carousel is starting to make sense. Everytime you fuck up and fall into a hole on the first floor, you fall down into this evil circus type shit that seems to be mocking you. Big Boo and his minions are such trolls.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Every single Witcher 3 quests that includes haunted mansion type approach.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I'll say the Train Graveyard in VIIR because it's the only one I can think of right now.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Chateau Banbollow from Illbleed (Dreamcast)

Chateau Banbollow is the setting for The Homerun of Death, the first level in Illbleed. You find yourself exploring a hotel in which the owner, Gale Banbollow, had killed a bunch of people with a flamethrower after someone had caused a fire in which his son Jimmy died. Aside from having some really cool game play mechanics in general, Illbleed also features various chase sequences, of which the one in The Homerun of Death is probably the most interesting. It's a shame Illbleed will probably never be re-released on any other consoles, as it's such an interesting game (even if playing it correctly makes it less interesting).

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Spencer Mansion in RE1/REmake is one of my favorite settings in all of gaming.

If we're talking strictly supernatural haunted locales, my favorite is probably Himuro Mansion from Fatal Frame. I love the progression from fairly benign hauntings to its incredibly oppressive atmosphere by the late stages of the game.

Shoutouts to the hotels in Silent Hill 2 (Lakeview) and Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (Ocean House), as well as Shalebridge Cradle in Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
The haunted mansion level from TimeSplitters: Future Perfect is the first thing I thought of. Campy, funny, yet still intense. "THE MOOSE IS LOOSE!"

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Does Original Resident Evil mansion count? It's not haunted. If not:

Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne. It gave me the creeps and I loved it.

The mansion in Eternal Darkness

Hark

Oct 29, 2017

Mojo Mansion from Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow.

This level spooked the hell out of me as a 4 year old. The PC version music was so, so good and composed by Michael Giacchino!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
The Carousel is starting to make sense. Everytime you fuck up and fall into a hole on the first floor, you fall down into this evil circus type shit that seems to be mocking you. Big Boo and his minions are such trolls.
That carousel area was kinda terrifying to me as a kid. It gave me this odd sense of dread or unease.