• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
I've been pondering this for a while now. What makes a beginning of a game great? How to best give the player the gameplay tutorial and set the narrative for the game?

I'm most in to games that let you explore the game world freely (not necessarily open world) without locking places after you've completed them. Zelda is probably my favorite series because of that. It's just that for example with the aforementioned Zelda series or for example Assasin's Creed games, the game can be quite restrictive and paternalistic on how you are introduced to the world. For me, bad examples of this are Twilight Princess and Assasin's creed 3 (I quit the game right after I got to part where you can explore the world more freely). I like it when games have a balance between showing and giving the player enough without restricting your own curiosity and without forcing you through. I have three examples of game introductions/tutorials I'm into.

Breath of the Wild

BotW was pretty much my most anticipated game of all time and in most parts it totally delivered. What makes the game special is how it gives so much within the first hour without making you feel overpowered or overexposed. Not only does it give you all the main abilities you use through out the run but it also lets you do it through your own experimenting and exploration.

The Plateau is like a miniature of the world in general. There are almost all different environment types (with the exception of the hot areas) and a lot of the features (enemy types and camps, a mini boss, hunting and cooking possibilities etc.) found in the overworld as well. There are multiple weapons and weapon types to be found literally minutes after you press the New game button in the home screen. There are multiple ways to stay warm when trekking the mountain and there are multiple ways to get to the top.

The game gives you enough information and skills to achieve the main goal of the tutorial (getting the 4 orbs) in your own order and at your own pace with you deciding the level of difficulty. It manages to do that without overbearing the player and also leaves the possibility for players to find out secrets that can help you get to your destination easier (like getting the warm tunic, which also works as the voluntary cooking tutorial).

After completing the mission the old man gives to you and after he has exposed the main narrative to the player, you can "escape" the tutorial and start exploring at your own will. At this point the game has introduced you to the story and gameplay basics in such a way that it entices you to find out what you can do with them in the bigger game world. IMO no game does this as well as BotW. First time I played the game I felt almost overwhelmed with the freedom it gave me.

Tutorial length: Casually 45-90 minutes. Depends a lot on player preferences.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Witcher 3 is the only game in my view to compete with BotW when it comes to general quality and content in a video game. As it is much more story driven, it also has to expose you to the general narrative and the world more. Still it manages to do it without forcing the player to go through multiple scripted and linear sequences like for example AC3. The Witcher 3 has the beginning split into three segments.

At first you just have the combat and general movement tutorial inside a dream that also introduces the main characters. After that 10 or so minutes you are introduced to the first open world segment which you can explore freely, when you've gone through few cut scenes and a short horse ride.

What is great about White Orchard as that like the Plateau, it is like a miniature of the main landmass in the game. Yes, it might lack some of the environmental features but it is a great showcase of the what to expect from the game when it comes to the narrative side. You have optional side quest of different lenght which expose you to the main mechanics: the Witcher sense, monster and treasure hunting, finding clues, Gwent and most of all making choices that are at times very ambivalent. You also have a few rarer monsters to battle both as optional and as part of the main plot. You are forced to learn and adapt. You can be through the Orchard in about an hour if you just follow the main plot or spend 3 or 4 hours doing the side content and exploring all the nooks and crannies it has to offer.

The third part of the tutorial is the Vizima castle which is mainly just story exposition but you can do the mandatory part in 15 minutes and after that you can literally go anywhere in the main world, except Kaer Morhen.

The Witcher 3 is pretty much the best example for a tutorial in a story driven open world game. The introductory sequence entices exploration and questing but doesn't force it. It has a lot of meaningful side content that also teaches you the basics of the game. What also makes the side quests great is that the game doesn't let you win (on normal difficulty) like some other games do at the beginning. You can also access White Orchard and Vizima even after you reach Velen. This way you can always come back to finish the side quests and play Gwent later if you missed or skipped them the first time.

Tutorial length: Casually 1,5 to 4 hours. Depends a lot on player preferences with side quests.

Super Mario Galaxy

For the third game I chose something completely different. 3D Super Marios are know for their short general tutorials, with each level teaching you it's own gimmick and how to operate it in different environments and puzzles. In SMG, the beginning is especially sweet. Sure, this a case of straight forward linear tutorial but its that made correctly.

First, you have the very basic movement tutorial and story opening in the Mushroom kingdom which with all it's cut scenes takes only about 5 minutes. After that you start with the main planet and gravity system. What makes this part great is how at first it lets you practice all the main skills on one planet without danger for enemies or death traps. It does not give you any time limits but it also doesn't prevent you from progressing when you want. Catch the rabbits, talk to Rosalina and you are thrown into your first (short) star collection mission.

In the first mission you are introduced to the main concepts of gravity, star launcing, collecting star chips, fighting basic enemies and solving simple puzzles. It does this all with out being overbearingly difficult for new gamers. When you reach the first star, you are launched into the main hub area and can begin to advance through the main game.

What I like most about this tutorial is its simplicity, shortness and the soft learning curve it provides. It gives you so much in such a little time without you feeling rushed and unprepared. It accompanies that with awesome music.

Tutorial length: 20 minutes max.

What are your favorite introductions/tutorials in video games? Why?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Both of the ones you mentioned (botw, Witcher 3) are mine. As a one off out of left field answer, maybe I'll also give Conkers Bad Fur Day. It starts out setting the tone for the rest of the game perfectly and what better way to test out your basic motor skills in a platformer than moving around as you get over a hangover. I'll give props in one specific area to the Xbox remaster in that they also subverted my expectations when you're given your main weapon for the rest of the game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

The Raimi Spider-Man games had glorious Bruce Campbell narration across the tutorials and collectable tokens.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
My mind blanks out on examples.

Just generally though, I love games that have you enter an inciting incident, like in a James Bond movie, where you're just allowed to use all the feature mechanics of the game in one vertical slice and then after that level the game properly teaches you the usage of each mechanism one step at a time.

Fallen Order boldly put you across jumps and slides and stuff before actually asking you to know what any of it does.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
I think Demon's Souls has a great intro/tutorial area. Giving you the basics and all the tools, slowly moving from one on one encounters to practice your blocks/parries to multiple enemies, it also introduces ambush enemies (poorly hidden so you see them, but it's a clue to pay attention to your surroundings and take it slow), and finally ending in a boss fight that isn't supposed to be won (and you die even if you win).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think I mention this in every thread like this, but Sleeping Dogs gun tutorial being a crime scene reenactment was really cool.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Breath of the Wild and Mega Man X, because you're simply playing the game while it gives you a tutorial without it being shoved down your throat.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
My mind blanks out on examples.

Just generally though, I love games that have you enter an inciting incident, like in a James Bond movie, where you're just allowed to use all the feature mechanics of the game in one vertical slice and then after that level the game properly teaches you the usage of each mechanism one step at a time.

Fallen Order boldly put you across jumps and slides and stuff before actually asking you to know what any of it does.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided had this and it was glorious. Tearing through the intro stage as fully upgraded Jensen was an absolute joy, and the reason you lose that functionality and had to regain your upgrades was very well done and didn't feel artificial.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The best one ever is Dark Souls since if you know what you're doing on replay you can speed run it in 3 minutes and get on with your life.

Kakihara

Nov 10, 2017
Driver 1 Tutorial was amazing!

Just joking: Tomb Raider 1-3! The mansion was brilliant for learning all the stuff and you also could explore a little bit and find funny easter eggs.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
earthbound_vc.0.jpg

Really sets the mood. (Earthbound/Mother 2)

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The first mission of Saints Row IV is ridiculously awesome and completely sets out the store for the game as a whole.

I can't actually remember it teaching me all that much, but I guess it must have done.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
The opening of God of war 3 is top tier that the rest of game doesn't quite reach the height of Poseidon again.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Breath of the Wild introduced the game in such a way that makes you feel lost from the very start.. and that's before you even get access to the entire world

cuplinks

Oct 29, 2017
One that I always find charming is in the point and click adventure Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

FatherCashew

Dec 5, 2019
Doom 2016's intro made me happy.
Here's how guns work... NPC monolog–fuck that. Give me a shotgun... here's how glory kills work. Gore nest, ride an elevator... NPC monol–fuck that too.

And topped off with cocking your shotgun to the beat of Mick Gordon's finest.

10 minutes tops and you're ready to go. It set the tone so well.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild and Mega Man X, because you're simply playing the game while it gives you a tutorial without it being shoved down your throat.
Figuring out that I could wall kick on my own as a kid who just rented this game is something I still remember to this day. So yeah, that's a fantastic example. Putting players into semi safe situations and letting them figure out the mechanics on their own will always be better than dozens of text boxes that beat you over the head.

Mar 25, 2019
Best for me has always been the intro for Shadow Hearts: Covenant. Quickest time to play from the start for a jrpg that I've experienced. Starting jrpgs is always the worst part, just walking around a small town for 20 mins until even getting to a battle. Covenant drops you in immediately, teaches you its systems well, and narratively it is a fun intro. By the end of the tutorial it is revealed you have been playing as the bad guy, and then perspectives change and you take control of the protagonist for there on.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario 64's outside the castle was pretty great as a sandbox to play with the movement, especially considering how new it was to most players at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
I want to mention Final Fantasy Tactics for the fact that it has an in-universe explanation where you are being taught by an instructor named Darlavon which the game then references mechanically. The Orator (Mediator in original translation) has a skill called "Mimic Darlavon" which puts enemies to sleep.

Also the music is great

OP
OP

L176

Jan 10, 2019
Super Mario 64's outside the castle was pretty great as a sandbox to play with the movement, especially considering how new it was to most players at the time.

I considered it as one of my choices. SM64 was the first video game I owned so it has a special place in my heart.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I once made a thread that the first hour of Kingdom Hearts, from the opening to the end of Traverse Town, was the best in all of games and I still believe that.

www.resetera.com

The opening to Kingdom Hearts is the best in gaming.

To be clear I'm not talking about attract videos or Simple & Clean (though yes it is a banger), I'm talking about the beginning of Dive to the Heart to the end of Traverse Town, which I define as an extended prologue that takes off once you hit the world map. Kingdom Hearts holds a special...

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Dark Souls 3. "These are the controls, read them if you want. Here's Iudex Gundyr, beat him to prepare you for real bosses".

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Breath of the Wild and the Souls series, Dark Souls 1 especially. Masterclass in letting the game do the explaining rather than tons of dialogue or forced tutorials.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Recently, Jedi Fallen Order's was great. It only told you what to do if you didn't figure it out yourself.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Rising set the tone for the game perfectly. You cut up some random dudes, and then you throw a Metal Gear into the sky with your bare hands and cut it to pieces.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The original Deus Ex's Liberty Island mission, mind blowing at the time and still good today. Knew I was playing something special when the first level was so open ended and stuffed with ways to do things and things to discover.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States

Half-Life 2. I think it's a big reason why the game is still fun to go back to today.