• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017

I found Viscera Cleanup Detail quite refreshing.

Instead of being the hero of the story, you're the lowly janitor tasked with cleaning up after the Big Event is over. I found myself thinking, "Why hasn't anyone else thought of this premise yet?" like 5 minutes into the game.

Really Zen gameplay loop and tons of diverse maps to boot.

Jan 11, 2018
At its time yes but it has been bested by VR games by now, thanks to complete 1:1 controls and being able to see your hand's exact position in 3D space.

I haven't tried VR yet, I'd like to. But a game is more than it's mechanics, and RS II nailed just about everything else as well. When I do make to the jump to VR eventually, these games will be at the top of my list :).

Oct 31, 2017
Space Funeral. Philip the perpetually crying child and Leg Horse have adventures around Scum Village. It plays like an old JRPG filtered through the ravings of someone on a massive acid overdose.

ieo

Aug 7, 2019
Baba is You

It's a game where the locus of the player's agency shifts between objects in a puzzle. You also have to change the attributes of those objects to solve problems.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
One of my favorites is Starseed Pilgrim. It was really interesting to use the starseeds to expand the little island you started on in order to explore. Each seed would produce a certain type of growth and you had to learn all the rules about how fast a particular seed would grow, where it would grow, etc. It had wonderful musical cues, it had that very stark white void of a background that really focused you on just what you could interact with. Really interesting game. Never was any good at it and didn't make it very far, but it's a game that I've thought a lot about ever since playing it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale. For combining light bullet hell gameplay with RPG mechanics, and for questioning the player for making choices that they would only make in a game.

Papers, Please. Gameplay-wise it succeeds at being frustrating and convoluted on purpose to make a point, and does it well. Narratively it does a good job of making you feel like you're living a meager and oppressed life.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
It's a game where you go through a procedurally generated city in a bus. It's just that but it's a lot of fun, and the music is on point too. Just a game about a very specific thing and it does that very well. You can get it on itch.io.

It's from the devs of recently released Wide Ocean Big Jacket, A Good Gardner, Little Party and others.

Speaking of Wide Ocean Big Jacket, I really like the way it was presented. I've seen it described somewhat like the video game equivalent of "directing a short film".

Some of my favourite scenes have the camera pan between different people in a group; you got to decide who could speak, and in which order. Gives me that weird sensation of being able to direct a convo without having to be a part of it.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
In terms of JRPG combat, FFXII

In terms of overall experience, Katamari Damacy

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Would "Thomas Was Alone" count as experimental? I mean, it's a platformer, but it really tries to make you have emotions for simple square shapes.