• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Digital Foundry Saints Rows thread got me thinking about ME Redux. Remake or master? New character models for all characters? New lighting? Overhaul of all game play systems in the original parts? (combat and inventory management? removal of space mining?)

PS5/Xbox Series X level graphics? Current gen release that's upscaled to 4K/60 FPS and call it a day?

Or maybe something like we saw with the PC mods? The imagination runs wild...

WIpFtlG.png

VilleEricson

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I expect nothing, but what I want is the first one remade. Or at the very least that they make the first one and second one play like the third.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Does EA have any real history with remakes/remasters aside from Burnout? How was that handled?

No.

And Burnout is literally just an uprez. That's it. And the DLC of course, but that was a given.

Oh wait, EA does have Command and Conquer Remastered coming. Maybe that will be better than Burnout's.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should remake 2 and 3 to have more RPG elements like the first one and they should rewrite the second game so it makes sense as the middle entry in a franchise thats selling point was lasting consequences that carry from game to game i.e. dont make it a sloppy Dirty Dozen rip off.

What I expect? Nicer graphics and thats about it

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Straight ports of the three games running at higher resolutions and framerates, cleaner anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering. No new textures or asset revamps. Multiplayer removed.

Mass Effect 2 with texture mods is godly.

10hkor.jpg

Silly Buck

Oct 28, 2017
Go all the way in making the remaster. Consider it a new entry in the Mass Effect franchise. Create the "ideal" Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 that is removed of previous limitations.
Then provide an alternate ending to 3 and tell no one about it, and allow the word to be spread naturally.

My actual expectations are Assassins Creed 2 Remaster level though.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
They should remake 2 and 3 to have more RPG elements like the first one and they should rewrite the second game so it makes sense as the middle entry in a franchise thats selling point was lasting consequences that carry from game to game i.e. dont make it a sloppy Dirty Dozen rip off.

What I expect? Nicer graphics and thats about it
I expect the opposite- they'll rip out the "clunky" RPG elements from the first one to make it more "streamlined"

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Garrus's face in ME1 will now be optimized for 720p displays.

The power of elevator friendship will be destroyed by SSDs.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The first one can have a complete graphical and gameplay overhaul.
2 and 3 can be left the same. I really do not trust BioWare to remake the game well graphically or from a cinematography perspective. Those games are perfect to me visually.

I especially don't trustit with the frostbite engine

Oct 29, 2017
Something similar to the Uncharteds. Fine, but the games did not age too well IMO. UC2 is still shockingly good from a lightning, AO and other effects perspective, but asset quality is lacking, the levels are a bit claustrophobic, interactivity and the details are just not there.

Same goes for ME. They can crank up the UE features, redo the textures but the game won't look amazing IMO. They just didn't age very well.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Idk what I expect, but for ME 1 I'm hoping for a total revamp of the combat system. That's the main thing, but also the inventory system could be polished and graphics I'm guessing would be brought up to modern day.

ME 2 wouldn't need anything imo besides the graphics update. It would be cool if they found a way to give Legion more dialogue/screen time but idk if they could without changing the whole game.

ME 3 has deeper issues I think that go beyond what a remake can change.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Does EA have any real history with remakes/remasters aside from Burnout? How was that handled?
C&C Remastered is by far the largest remaster and they have so much going for it. Workshop support too and even Open Sourcing their games .dll so people can really mod it.

store.steampowered.com

Save 65% on Command & Conquer™ Remastered Collection on Steam

Command & Conquer and Red Alert are both remastered in 4K by the former Westwood Studios team members. Includes all 3 expansions, rebuilt multiplayer, a modernized UI, Map Editor, bonus footage gallery, and over 7 hours of remastered music.
It is also basically being remade by westwood employees who are working at Petroglyph. Not to mention they got the people who did the OST to do it remastered, the Cinematics have been upscaled, the VA that did the UI dialog came back to do it all again.

Also is able to swap between and off of original and remastered graphics on a whim.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hopefully something like Xenoblade Definitive Edition. Remastered visuals with redone character models and cinematics.

nath999

May 7, 2018
I would still buy it if it was Up Res 1080p/60fps and all DLC. I wish they would go in and make some QoL changes like resource mining and mako missions but I doubt that.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I just want EA to not fuck it up. So the bear minimum would be higher textures, all DLCs and 60 fps. But considering how long it has been since ME1, I would hope for something more.

Not to mention the remaster has the job of bringing the series back from the dead. It needs more.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Something about the phrase "the imagination runs wild" followed by a screenshot of an improved wall texture is really funny.

I wish they'd update the UI on those games... But remasters hardly ever go that far.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I know everyone is going to say ME1 needs some serious changes, but so does ME3. Mechanically, the game is fine, but there's so much wrong narratively, structurally, and pacing-wise it would be nice to see fixed. It's basically the opposite of the problems the first game has. The ending is hardly the only thing wrong with 3.

Also, when can we get a Dragon Age Origins remaster? That's what the world truly needs. That game looks and plays like ass on consoles.

C&C Remastered is by far the largest remaster and they have so much going for it. Workshop support too and even Open Sourcing their games .dll so people can really mod it.

store.steampowered.com

Save 65% on Command & Conquer™ Remastered Collection on Steam

Command & Conquer and Red Alert are both remastered in 4K by the former Westwood Studios team members. Includes all 3 expansions, rebuilt multiplayer, a modernized UI, Map Editor, bonus footage gallery, and over 7 hours of remastered music.
It is also basically being remade by westwood employees who are working at Petroglyph

One can only hope EA treats future remasters/remakes with this kind of care and respect. Because that Burnout Paradise remaster ain't it.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I know everyone is going to say ME1 needs some serious changes, but so does ME3. Mechanically, the game is fine, but there's so much wrong narratively, structurally, and pacing-wise it would be nice to see fixed. It's basically the opposite of the problems the first game has. The ending is hardly the only thing wrong with 3.

Also, when can we get a Dragon Age Origins remaster? That's what the world truly needs. That game looks and plays like ass on consoles.

One can only hope EA treats future remasters/remakes with this kind of care and respect. Because that Burnout Paradise remaster ain't it.
Yeah hopefully they do for future remasters, but we gotta see where it goes from here.

Richardbro

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Game doesnt need a redo, the trilogy is ace already. Just develop a new game and hopefully it turns out amazing.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a remaster at best. More likely same assets and textures but running at higher resolutions on console and as some bundle collection all in one thing on PC to get people to re-buy it there.

OP
OP
Vire

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something about the phrase "the imagination runs wild" followed by a screenshot of an improved wall texture is really funny.

I wish they'd update the UI on those games... But remasters hardly ever go that far.
Well yeah, what exists in my brain doesn't exist in screenshot form unfortunately.

What I'd like to see in my dream game

1. New character models / lighting improvements
2. Redesign of HUD/Inventory
3. Improvement to goofy running animation
4. Reduction of mysterious load time elevators
5. Put ME3 gunplay into ME1/2
6. Redo ME3 ending entirely

If I got that, I'd give them 60 dollars.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Well yeah, what exists in my brain doesn't exist in screenshot form unfortunately.

What I'd like to see in my dream game

1. New character models / lighting improvements
2. Redesign of HUD/Inventory
3. Improvement to goofy running animation
4. Reduction of mysterious load time elevators
5. Put ME3 gunplay into ME1/2
6. Redo ME3 ending entirely

If I got that, I'd give them 60 dollars.
Ha, #6 is dreaming. I'd love to see them take a swing at it, but I have serious doubts they would know how to improve it.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
We will l only get a remaster of all 3.

What I want
Complete remake of the first game
2 and 3 remasters.
Romances that play through all 3 games
Return of the hacking game for doors and safes in all 3 games.
More upgrades for space resource gathering
Combat of 3 and ability to holster your weapon in ME3.
Make default Female Shepherd from ME3 in all games.
Fix the Mako to be like the one in Andromeda.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Improved graphics, lightning, 4K textures, 60 FPS and tweaks to menus and gameplay stuff If needed.

Not a remake per say but a proper remaster.

Oct 25, 2017
I would be happy with:
- 4k/60
- texture upgrades
- all dlc

They don't need to re-work the gameplay or anything. Maybe some quality of life improvements with inventory management or whatever.