• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
A beautiful game that will ultimately be just "alright" in the gameplay department, I guess like my experience with Second Son. I do hope they improve, but I don't have high expectations.

I'll keep my eye on it though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Volume matched, Ghost of Tsushima's sounds like what you get in most actual somewhat grounded or realistic Samurai movies, whereas Sekiro's is ridiculously exaggerated as if it's amplified by some surround sound theatre system with audio on full blast or something. Granted its cool to prefer that, but GoT isn't going for ridiculously over exaggerated, it's going for something somewhat grounded in reality.

Realistic or not, even when not compared to Sekiro, Tsushima just sounds weak. And realism for realism's sake isn't really an answer, especially for a video game. Here's a big ol' Hollywood samurai production:

Sounds a lot better too without needing to go over the top like Sekiro. Clashes in Tsushima don't even sound like swords are clashing, more like a fork is scraping against a butter knife. Sound design in this game is just wack.

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully a good story and nice visuals. Not expecting anything gameplay wise though, it will be haunted by Sekiro's specter.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Realistic or not, even when not compared to Sekiro, Tsushima just sounds weak. And realism for realism's sake isn't really an answer, especially for a video game. Here's a big ol' Hollywood samurai production:

Sounds a lot better too without needing to go over the top like Sekiro. Clashes in Tsushima don't even sound like swords are clashing, more like a fork is scraping against a butter knife. Sound design in this game is just wack.

GoT sounds basically the same lol, it's just that the GoT video you linked to is quieter overall. That's why I mentioned volume matching earlier. Simply upping the volume is going to largely rectify the issue you have.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Based on the footage I'm expecting Batman Arkham gameplay and a RPG-like world (villages, quests).

A lot of rooftop stalking, a lot of distracting gadgets, alot of stealth takedowns and counter-based combat with superficial depth.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
GoT sounds basically the same lol, it's just that the GoT video you linked to is quieter overall. That's why I mentioned volume matching earlier. Simply upping the volume is going to largely rectify the issue you have.

I can't agree at all that it's just a volume issue, sorry.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Great samurai sword combat is what I want from it. The demo looked good, so hopefully it will have a deep combat system with lots of moves to learn.

Playing Sekiro has made me look forward to more Samurai / Ninja games.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I expect a more grounded combat system and the best representation of the samurai/ninja era + Sucker Punch's finest work.

Oct 25, 2017
Why compare them? beside the setting these games don't have much in common

Ghost is open world (similar to Assassin's creed but actually good) while the other 2 are linear, not mention Ghost looks 10x better than Sekiro and Nioh graphically

I agree that the design goals are very different, but Sekiro is not linear. Not really open world either though.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
-Beautiful open world
-Bland combat and writing
-Typical open world quest ei kill this, collect that

Nothing memorable, Sucker Punch simply aren't a very good studio. Sly Cooper was great but aside that they've average

Plus people are going to compare this to Sekiro. I dislike Souls games but even I know From Software is so far out of SP league that its not even funny.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
Going off the demo I feel like it'll look amazing but have generic gameplay mechanics. I still want to play it though.

DyByHands

Jul 16, 2018
I dont really have any expectations other than good graphics. I do have hopes over stuff though. Like I hope performance is good. And I hope for decent customizable options in game.
I dont think Ive played anything from this studio.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I don't know, but, as someone who loved the first Infamous and thought that each subsequent installment was a major step down from the one before it, I'm excited by the prospect of a clean slate for Sucker Punch.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
My expectations are that it will be something a like a lot given Sony's current mindset when it comes to their first party.Insane production values and cinematic presentation.I hope stealth is a big part of the game,I'm sure it will be given it's called Ghost of Tsushima.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Decapitation and dismemberment galore. Blows my mind that despite advances in tech and engine, so many sword and lightsaber games don't match the body parts gore of NG2 and Jedi Knight from more than a decade ago.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Based on the tiny bits that I can recall from its E3 debut last year:

• Fantastic graphics tech.
  • Settings, character personas, and themes that are evocative of Kurosawa-esque samurai films.
  • A combat system that presents itself as cinematically visceral but doesn't really stand out in terms of complexity or difficulty.
  • LA Noire-style limited open world -- it's technically open but the game encourages more of a dedicated story-driven path through it rather than offering a large ensemble of activities.
Conclusion that I would draw based on this very limited perspective, which itself is based on loose memories of the E3 reveal last year: it's gonna be a divisive one, and the overall discussion and takeaway will be similar to The Order 1886.

What I actually hope for is that I'm wrong and it ends up being pretty similar to Horizon Zero Dawn. My expectations for Horizon Zero Dawn were pretty similar and I was actually blown away by how robust its combat system could be and how enjoyable it was to actually explore the world and partake in its side activities.

I'm not casting this game off yet -- the above bullet points do kinda feel meh-worthy as far as my own tastes go, but I must stress that I feel like my impression is extremely limited and distant since all I have seen is the E3 2018 trailer and I haven't even watched it again since E3, so that impression itself is hazy and unreliable. I like the Kurosawa-esque styling, at least, so I kinda hope they're crafting a really amazing game around that kinda central callback theme... I just don't remember actually seeing any proof of that just yet.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
To have really bad combat, especially after Sekiro. GoW did surprise me though so I hope GoT can too.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree at all that it's just a volume issue, sorry.
No, it's a Hollywood issue. You want Hollywood sword sounds. Real swords don't clang, they clack. Tsushima has it right, it's everyone else that has it wrong. Sure, it sounds "cool", but it's not in any way realistic.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expect it to have a better story and better gameplay than 90% in the industry.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Based on the footage I'm expecting Batman Arkham gameplay and a RPG-like world (villages, quests).

A lot of rooftop stalking, a lot of distracting gadgets, alot of stealth takedowns and counter-based combat with superficial depth.

This would be great imo. Wasn't a fan of either the infamous games.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's a Hollywood issue. You want Hollywood sword sounds. Real swords don't clang, they clack. Tsushima has it right, it's everyone else that has it wrong. Sure, it sounds "cool", but it's not in any way realistic.

You're right, I'm not interested in realism in my video games. I want something that feels and sounds satisfying and exciting. I'm not interested in sound effects that I can recreate on my kitchen table.

Speaking of realism, please tell me how realistic is TsushimaGuy's slow-mo batman-vision.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
You're right, I'm not interested in realism in my video games. I want something that feels and sounds satisfying and exciting. I'm not interested in sound effects that I can recreate on my kitchen table.

Speaking of realism, please tell me how realistic is TsushimaGuy's slow-mo batman-vision.

I like how the hard work of an entire professional sound team can be reduced to "I can recreate these sounds with kitchen knives lol".

Also, many games that aim for realism can still have unrealistic or gamey elements. For example, Red dead 2 aims for realism yet the player can regain health after getting shot by drinking potions & eating food.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I just hope that the side missions are varied. Although i love the infamous series, their side missions are way too repetitive and dull.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

Don't look at me, I'm not the one who's super hung up on "the swords don't clang right" as the game's biggest fault.

Leocarian

Banned
May 13, 2018
I'll be brutally honest with you - I have almost 0 interest in this game - simply because the Asian setting bores me to death in most games. Sure, it looks visually nice and unique. But, it's just not for me.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Judging sound design based on E3 demo shown at least a year (but more likely at least 18 months) before release.
Fantastic take, this thread is hilarious.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
The levels of negativity on this game and Sucker Punch in general are very surprising to me. Is it that people are just over protective of Sekiro, after a lot of people are coming out not enjoying the game that much? I say relax, they are completely different, give SP some love - Guerilla rose up to the challenge with Horizon and think they will too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Judging sound design based on E3 demo shown at least a year (but more likely at least 18 months) before release.
Fantastic take, this thread is hilarious.
I can only judge by what I am given. And Sony/SP decided to give us that. It'd be nice if the final release was different.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A Samurai themed Uncharted. So i will play it with popcorns.

Don't expect a Sekiro/Nioh experience by any means.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
Expecting a great open world experience that nails the atmosphere of the period. And expecting some satisfying moments of stealth.

Just hoping the combat doesn't become as simple as Assassin Creed used to be. A simple block and attack fight would disappoint me.
Want to be forced to read my enemies and react to their attacks. I don't expect the depth of Sekiro but I hope it's not a simple fight.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
The levels of negativity on this game and Sucker Punch in general are very surprising to me. Is it that people are just over protective of Sekiro, after a lot of people are coming out not enjoying the game that much? I say relax, they are completely different, give SP some love - Guerilla rose up to the challenge with Horizon and think they will too.
No idea but it really surprises me how all over the place expectations and reactions to GoT have been here, I thought that the E3 trailer/demo was pretty universally very well received.