• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hm...I don't have high expectations at all after XIII and XV. I can tell you however what I hope to see. I hope to see a high fantasy setting, similar to XIV or IX. I want something whimsical and magical for a change again. I hope for a vast, beautiful and interesting open world, not straight corridors to run down, not empty fields that basically are just a backdrop for your car ride.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want fantasy out the wazoo. FFIX & FFXIV level stuff, enough of the almost exclusive futuristic tech games. Give me back that magical feeling Square.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just hope it has a good combat system. I prefer turnbased all the way, but if it's real time at least bring something original. FFXIII was a mess of a game, but the combat system is the best in the series for me due to it's originality. More stuff like that.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I just want it to exist

we haven't had a mainline single player FF unveiled since, what, 2006? when XIII and versus were announced?
everything since then has been sequels and spinoffs and remakes and

give me something new already!
Exactly. Been so long And we haven't gotten anything new. Current things to look forward to are a remake and Nomura touching a world from 14 years ago. We need a new world to look forward to!

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say that i'm optimistic considering that i've really enjoyed every game,with the exception of FF II.
They should announce/release World of FF 2 tbh,that game and 7R would keep me busy until XVI.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Expectations... that we won't get it until after FF7R p2, that the graphics will be amazing, and that it'll try to correct common XV complaints (diverse and colorful cast, stronger fantasy or scifi elements, and at least an attempt at a better flowing story). Also that I'll get way too excited during its lead-up then inevitably be let down again lol.

My hopes/wants:
-Overall more fantastical character designs and settings (ideally more fantasy than scifi) & that it gets a touch more stylized/anime again and less realism heavy (like xii or xiii levels, those were perfect -- just with today's level of graphics)
-well designed, dressed, and characterized female characters (pls no cindys or "strong female characters *sits with a srs expression then pushes a gun away*")
-less jaggies and waayyy faster loading times omg xv was horrendous
-real time action combat
-lots of cut scenes, and at least a few with super fancy cgi
-legitimately explorable and interesting towns

I like the rumors I've seen about the XIV dude potentially working on it, so I hope that pans out. And I highly doubt they'll do this, but I'd love to see a photography mechanic like XV's be included again; that was one of the best aspects about the game.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
I'd like something similar to X with real time combat. Spira is one of my favourite game worlds. They should be inspired by east more than west, high fantasy with elements of sci-fi and a very strong protagonist with an interesting back story and world connection.

Noctis was fairly weak and so were Vaan and Lightning imo. This is what I want.

What I think we will get is high fantasy with combat like VII-R but with more strategy and a more political story like XII or VII. I believe they will want to step far away from Fabula Nova themes and be more grounded but in a high fantasy setting. I don't think we will return to anything we've seen previously in the series.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I like to keep my FF expectations at a nice, comfy FFXIII level

That way I'm never disappointed

Yaqoub

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kuwait
FFXV wasn't futuristic at all aside from the one or two random instances of high-tech spaceships, which is ok as even FF1 had some high-tech robot.

And also this is from Agni's Philosophy

028.jpg

Along with Agni using a Coca-Cola bottle and dealing with men straight out of Call of Duty

Art direction is mainly done by Crystal Dynamics people so I find it hilarious when FF fans suggest this game and usually ask for the "good old days" in the same breath (and whilst also maybe asking for an open world).

I must have forgotten the tech demo damn lol

Thanks for pointing that out. Anyway I just want them to surprise. It's gonna be a little hard to gain trust of those disappointed from XV (I absolutely loved it) so here's hoping it'll be good.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
To be announced far too early, go through multiple rewrites, have its engine retooled mid development for exciting new tech that then necessitates a colossal amount of rework on all previously developed content, then forced out to release before it's ready, with a story that makes no sense, because the company can't justify paying for any more rewrites. Many fans will still defend the awful story and character writing because it made them cry for one moment at the end, and it will still make Square bank with all the merch and iOS spin-offs.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This is the thing though, it is a lot of work frontloaded with every little pay off for 10-20 hours(which is impossible for me over a weekend). MMOs really only work for me if I have mates to play with, sadly all my friends are locked into Iceborne everyday. So realistically I guess I can buy the skip potion or wait for that revamp this year.
The 2.0 content revamp should help things along considerably for pacing. The base game is a good story, but few will deny that it drags since it was balanced around being the only content at the time of release. You get a leveling bonus if you start a new character these days, but that's just a bandaid fix. I guess 'too much content' is specifically a XIV problem when it comes to FF haha

Feb 21, 2019
If it's that good they should really release a compressed SP version because fuck slogging through 50 hours to get to the good stuff.
You can pay a bit extra and bypass ARR if you want and read a good recap. That said, There is something to be said for the journey. I played ARR back in 2014 and didn't pick it up again until this December. I have been marching through all the expansions and been having a great time. Some parts are slogs, but otherwise its been some high quality content.

dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
I would like them to value story and worldbuilding with as much regard as they value graphics. I think what makes a Final Fantasy great (and only a few of them are truly great) is when the game has a well built world narrative, a compelling plot and characters and pushes at the graphics of AAA gaming.

All of this of course requires a lot of time, luck and vision. I think they have time, I know they lack vision and luck is luck.

Saray

Nov 26, 2018
I want a good and not overly complicated story with a fun romance like the one in FFIX. I want a diverse set of characters. And don't make it open world but put in real time combat.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Have the people who wrote shadowbringers write the story for this. That's all I ask.
I will fight anyone who tries to steal Ishikawa away from XIV. She is our treasure and must be guarded at all costs.

You can have Maehiro though, the main scenario writer for Heavensward. His writing is also excellent and his role in XIV has been reduced in recent years anyway.

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
My only hope at this point is a coherent vision and dare I say, a smooth development cycle for the game.

Otherwise as others have said, a return to the whimsical and the weird.

BhetjaXIV

Sep 8, 2018
Belgium
I just want it to exist

we haven't had a mainline single player FF unveiled since, what, 2006? when XIII and versus were announced?
everything since then has been sequels and spinoffs and remakes and

give me something new already!

XIV was unveiled in 2009 and is a mainline game too !

And Versus XIII was re-unveiled as XV in 2013 but it was a well known project so it does not really count.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Hm...I don't have high expectations at all after XIII and XV. I can tell you however what I hope to see. I hope to see a high fantasy setting, similar to XIV or IX. I want something whimsical and magical for a change again. I hope for a vast, beautiful and interesting open world, not straight corridors to run down, not empty fields that basically are just a backdrop for your car ride.

I don't think we'll ever get another whimsical mainline game, i just hope at least it's not as realistic as FFXV, because that world was boring.

Hopefully we'll get a world similar to XIV at least.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I want fantasy out the wazoo. FFIX & FFXIV level stuff, enough of the almost exclusive futuristic tech games. Give me back that magical feeling Square.

This. I wanted them to do high fantasy for real. Enough of this wishy washy fantasy meets reality. It's cool to do it once in awhile, but sometimes I want to see a one fully realized setting that is set in proper timeline and has logical consistency to its setting. I don't want to see mercedes benz in a fantasy games with dinosaurs roaming next to it.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest hope is that they won't try to make a custom engine again. Or even re-use Luminous.

I would also hope the game has no MP component, but that seems unlikely. The game will most likely have some Gaas-implementation.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Maybe a combination of fantasy and tech like FF12?

Also wait until the game has had some time in the oven before revealing it. I don't want a FF15/Versus situation again.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I will fight anyone who tries to steal Ishikawa away from XIV. She is our treasure and must be guarded at all costs.

You can have Maehiro though, the main scenario writer for Heavensward. His writing is also excellent and his role in XIV has been reduced in recent years anyway.

Listen I love ffxiv as well, but considering they are probably going to spend 12 years making 16, they can probably find the time to do both heh

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
It really will feel strange when it is announced though. We've not had a new mainline FF announcement since 2009 for XIV, and the last mainline title that was released was essentially announced back in 2006. So whatever we end up getting is going to feel incredibly fresh for the franchise and I can't wait.

As for what I expect, I'm really unsure. I guess I imagine it will be more fantasy than sci-fi/modern which I think I'm okay with. Maybe somewhere between IX and XII could be good? I just hope it brings back some of the magic. With how VIIR is looking I'm confident they can do something great.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
It really will feel strange when it is announced though. We've not had a new mainline FF announcement since 2009 for XIV, and the last mainline title that was released was essentially announced back in 2006. So whatever we end up getting is going to feel incredibly fresh for the franchise and I can't wait.

As for what I expect, I'm really unsure. I guess I imagine it will be more fantasy than sci-fi/modern which I think I'm okay with. Maybe somewhere between IX and XII could be good? I just hope it brings back some of the magic. With how VIIR is looking I'm confident they can do something great.
It's going to be surreal, yeah. It's been 15 damn years since a SP mainline FF was announced... I'm really going to lose my shit whenever it happens.

That's honestly the main reason I don't see this being announced until, say, 2021 at the bare minimum, as I'm still in disbelief. Although it'd make sense if we actually got a teaser this year with the next-gen consoles so as to avoid leaks (and also since, if this is the FF XIV team's game, it'll have been in development for a little bit now).

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Every numbered Final Fantasy game has overlapped development. I mean check out what was going on in 2006:

XI: The game is being ported to Xbox 360 and its third major expansion, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, is released.
XII: Game is released in March on PS2.
XIII: Development has been underway for a couple years by this point and the team had recently decided to move development from PS2 to PS3.
XIV: Software planning began a year earlier and by this point the game has a writer, director, and art department creating assets.
XV: Begins development as Final Fantasy Versus 13.

That's 5 games all at various stages of development in one calendar year.

I strongly feel that XVI is going to be revealed sooner than a lot of people in this thread think. Like this has definitely been in development since before XV released. If it really is Naoki Yoshida's division working on this, it's possible that it began development in late 2015/early 2016 as major staff started being shifted away from XIV to still-unannounced projects.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Every numbered Final Fantasy game has overlapped development. I mean check out what was going on in 2006:

XI: The game is being ported to Xbox 360 and its third major expansion, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, is released.
XII: Game is released in March on PS2.
XIII: Development has been underway for a couple years by this point and the team had recently decided to move development from PS2 to PS3.
XIV: Software planning began a year earlier and by this point the game has a writer, director, and art department creating assets.
XV: Begins development as Final Fantasy Versus 13.

That's 5 games all at various stages of development in one calendar year.

I strongly feel that XVI is going to be revealed sooner than a lot of people in this thread think. Like this has definitely been in development since before XV released. If it really is Naoki Yoshida's division working on this, it's possible that it began development in late 2015/early 2016 as major staff started being shifted away from XIV to still-unannounced projects.
That would be awesome. However we also have to take other game releases into account; VIIR is taking all the hype this year at least.
More shit fashion trends.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Expectations is overstating it but my hope is have good characters. I don't even care if the story is nonsense but pls just have good characterization.
I replayed FF9 after over a decade far removed from nostalgia classes and there is like not a single doubt in my mind that, that game holds up and stands above the nonsense of shitty sp ff in the last decade. My biggest surprise was actually not feeling the hate Amarant and Eiko get, with how much stuff has been said about those two being lackluster I went in expecting to feel the same as others now with the perspective of not being a kid but nah. The bar of characterization has been laid down so low by recent FF Amarant and Eiko are fine characters that just get overshadowed by how good Vivi's, Steiner's, Dagger's and Zidane's arcs are.

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
So realistically how long are they working already on FF XVI? At least 4 years I would assume? Or am I seeing this totally wrong?

Because if that's the case an announcement after FF VII Remake should be realistic, no?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to not have the one thing I'm hoping for; a return to the job class system :(

well, I also expect rad hair.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
FFXV wasn't futuristic at all aside from the one or two random instances of high-tech spaceships, which is ok as even FF1 had some high-tech robot.

And also this is from Agni's Philosophy

028.jpg

Along with Agni using a Coca-Cola bottle and dealing with men straight out of Call of Duty

Art direction is mainly done by Crystal Dynamics people so I find it hilarious when FF fans suggest this game and usually ask for the "good old days" in the same breath (and whilst also maybe asking for an open world).
I feel the like the only person that wasn't thrilled by Angi's Philosophy's setting.

I want the next offline FF to take a break from the modern and futuristic settings. Give me an offline, single-player lush medieval world, maybe with a dash of whimsy. Not AS far much whimsy like FFIX, but something a cross between FFXIV's world and FFIX's world, maybe culture leaning more towards Rennaissance and Enlightenment periods, like FFIX and FFVI.