• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I don't like her work in Kingdom Hearts but her work in FFXV is largely amazing. Battle themes are very important to me and she absolutely knocked those out of the park.

But tbh

There's another Yoko in town that I'd like to compose for XVI

Yoko Kanno
Yaaas I love her. She is absolutely on the same line as Shimomura, Uematsu, Mitsuda, Soken, Sakimoto, and Hamauzu.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Matsuno or the writer of Heavensward (who collaborated with Matsuno for the longest time) writing.

Emerald

Oct 25, 2017
ogen4hppbk741.jpg

I expect that this is what XVI looks like from Square's third development division's concept art for an unannounced project.

Probably an action RPG and I think it'll release next year

Oct 25, 2017
I have very low expectations after XV. Particularly worried about Comrades-esque multiplayer being a big part of the game

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I just want a good game with a coherent story. Something the single player line has missed for 14 years now.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not a fan of how realistic FF XV looks so hopefully, they go back to something closer to FF IX or XII in terms of world/atmosphere/characters.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I expect nothing from Square Enix these days.

That being said I still found 13 and 15 fun but its pretty obvious that the spark/magic is just gone within the company.

Oct 31, 2017
I loved this artwork that was shown pretty close to release

f131289f60af8171ceec60c2c9e9d45f.jpg

Loved this moment in the game

And this one

latest

Ft. red moon and Doomtrain and Odin

Which was at the Uncovered event and was used as the front cover for the Deluxe edition

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I figure it'll be announced relatively soon - probably at E3, so FFVII Remake Part 1 is out of the way. Would love it if it's closer than we expect, too.

As for the gameplay, something more Xenoblade-y would be fun - essentially bring in a hot bar system but keep the action frenetic. Wouldn't be opposed to FFVII's combat system being adapted, either. ATB would be shooting themselves in the foot and I think they know that.

And in terms of setting I'd like something that moves away from the modern day tropes, even as someone who liked FFXV a lot.

I also don't really want Yoko Taro involved, I played Automata and only really enjoyed the very start and very end

ogen4hppbk741.jpg

I expect that this is what XVI looks like from Square's third development division's concept art for an unannounced project.

Probably an action RPG and I think it'll release next year

Hopefully whatever we get has explorable cities on that scale, it's a shame we never really got Insomnia.

Oct 27, 2017
For it to once again prioritize flashiness and "anime" aesthetics over a deep, sensible story or satisfying gameplay
What I would do for a game that had the look of FF12 built from the ground up in HD (basically Yoshida's designs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nomura's)

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Return to roots.

Turn Based Battle.

If DQ and Persona can do it, FF can as well.

No thanks and his Route A/B/C/D/E structure is terrible IMO
Eh.. If Yoko does direct it, it doesn't have to follow Nier/Drakengard multiple endings. It's not in FFs staple to do that. What he does bring to the table are darker tones to the story. Bleak even but sometimes comes with a little bit of hope mixed in. It'd be nice to give him a chance for a higher budget.

Honestly I don't even know who I'll choose to direct. Maybe bring back FF12 director?

Oct 31, 2017
Return to roots.

Turn Based Battle.

If DQ and Persona can do it, FF can as well.

Sorry I feel like injecting my unasked opinion lol

I would not mind turn-based battles at all... as long as they're not boring like DQ and Persona.

If it's something like Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, FFX-2/XIII, Grandia, Resonance of Fate, Shadow Hearts, Valkyrie Profile 2, or something with button combos like Xenogears and Xenosaga 1 and 2? Sign me the fuck up.

But barebones stuff like that is a snoozefest.

I also fucking love FFX but the battle system is nothing special, and tbh the rock-paper-scissors got dull kind of quickly.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
More diverse cast of party members and a more epic journey like previous games. Not four dudes in black clothes on a road trip across an open world that feels almost completely lifeless.

I really enjoyed the more linear sections of FFXV, I thought it was where it did its best storytelling so I wouldn't mind XVI being more like that. If the open world comes back, they have to figure out a way to make it feel less empty. Longs stretches of being in the car or on chocobo where I was just bored as hell and not really feeling exploration.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry I feel like injecting my unasked opinion lol

I would not mind turn-based battles at all... as long as they're not boring like DQ and Persona.

If it's something like Baten Kaitos, Chrono Cross, FFX-2/XIII, Grandia, Resonance of Fate, Shadow Hearts, Valkyrie Profile 2, or something with button combos like Xenogears and Xenosaga 1 and 2? Sign me the fuck up.

But barebones stuff like that is a snoozefest.

I also fucking love FFX but the battle system is nothing special, and tbh the rock-paper-scissors got dull kind of quickly.
I don't mind that at all. I love all of the games you've listed. FF has always been an experimental series but it also has been Turn Based always.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
To be released in 2025.

Seriously tho, get back to a medieval fantasy style. It's been since Final Fantasy 12 in 2006 (19 years when FF16 will be released) since mainline Final Fantasy was in the setting that used to be its bread and butter.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a dream that a FFXVI trailer came out and it had a black female protagonist. Pretty please Square.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
My expectations are close to zero. Tired of waiting close to 10 years for SE to release a game.
But since we're just wishful thinking here, I would like it to be directed by Yoshida-san.

Oct 31, 2017
I mean he could simply just not do that lol. Peoples love for the characters of automata is a clear indicator he would be a great choice to direct a mainline FF

He only has a history of making games with routes. So there's no telling if he'd make a game with one route in a satisfactory manner. And his games usually aren't very long at all if you omit the tedious busywork and/or grinding that gets thrown in after Route A.

And as for his characters... I haven't played Automata past the demo but I found the writing there to be cringeworthy at best.

Drakengard 1 is only known because it has a cast of insane characters that comes off as tryhard more than anything (psychopath, incest, pedophile, cannibal, giant demon babies) and most of the depth of the story isn't in the game itself IIRC.

Drakengard 3 was a wild ride in Route A but it was tbh mostly crude junk, and the Apostles were written terribly. Everything that comes out of Desmond(?) and Octa's mouth is an unfunny innuendo or crude remark about sex.

The original NIER was okay but I could not get myself to go past Route A because the game was horribly paced and the gameplay was bad. Not to mention that the game was boring to look at.

I like Taro's insanity but he has not given me any reason to believe that he would direct a good Final Fantasy game.

It also seems like, for the most part, he does not budget well. Drakengard 1 has like 25 minutes of good-looking/great-looking CG and every aspect of the game is unsatisfactory. Drakengard 3 has a gorgeous CG opening but the game looks like ass, is short, and runs at like 10 FPS.

And with NIER they actually wasted money making two versions of the game.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
A Final Fantasy made by Matsuno, Yoshida, and Sakimoto (all given carte blanche) has the potential to revive the pedigree of the series. Give it that prestige it once had.

I mean, Final Fantasy XII is a lesser Matsuno game (and there are rumors of meddling being a big part of him leaving), yet it is still pretty damn solid.

I had a dream that a FFXVI trailer came out and it had a black female protagonist. Pretty please Square.

Coming off of XV, that would be a damn fine place to start.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
A Final Fantasy made by Matsuno, Yoshida, and Sakimoto (all given carte blanche) has the potential to revive the pedigree of the series. Give it that prestige it once had.

I mean, Final Fantasy XII is a lesser Matsuno game (and there are rumors of meddling being a big part of him leaving), yet it is still pretty damn solid.
Even if you believe that for FFXII, let's also remember that a lot of the FFT/FFXII staff went on to work on FFXIV to salvage the game alongside Yoshida and it's one of the most critically acclaimed game since FF12 itself.

At this point I am confident that if they put anybody from the FF13/FF15 team, then there is a good chance it won't end well. So let's hope they just get stuck in the FF7 remake quagmire for the entire decade while other teams are working on mainline games.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you believe that for FFXII, let's also remember that a lot of the FFT/FFXII staff went on to work on FFXIV to salvage the game alongside Yoshida and it's one of the most critically acclaimed game since FF12 itself.

At this point I am confident that if they put anybody from the FF13/FF15 team, then there is a good chance it won't end well. So let's hope they just get stuck in the FF7 remake quagmire for the entire decade while other teams are working on mainline games.

I didn't mean that as shade, XII is a very solid game. Hearing all the enthusiasm for FFXIV, I would love to see that team tackle the next Final Fantasy game. The only reason I haven't jumped into Shadowbringers is because I'm not willing to work my way through all the early content.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
High, considering the XIV personnel are working on it.

I don't expect any news this year with VII Remake being the main priority.

But 2021, I suspect we'll get the first Visual Works CGI teaser and Amano logo.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't mean that as shade, XII is a very solid game. Hearing all the enthusiasm for FFXIV, I would love to see that team tackle the next Final Fantasy game. The only reason I haven't jumped into Shadowbringers is because I'm not willing to work my way through all the early content.
I understand. I think Shadowbringers is really solid but the previous expansions are incredibly good. There is a good argument to be made that Heavensward, the first expansion, is as good if not still better than Shadowbringers.

It's also interesting because some lead staff who worked on Heavensward stopped working on FFXIV almost immediately after, which means there is a high chance they could be helming the next project that might or might not be FFXVI. Kazutoyo Maehiro was a background writer for FFT/Vagrant Story/FF12 on top of being a battle system engineer (for FF12's battle system) and he wrote Heavensward, for example.

Edit: well apparently the wiki says he still has a supervisory role on FFXIV after Heavensward. But damn that's one hell of a resume

screenshot_2020-01-29cuj42.png

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
IMO the most important development for Square Enix the past decade has been the formation of the XIV team with Yoshida being able to showcase his leadership ability. SE really needs to get their management in order and prevent company politics from hindering their games. I no longer think Toriyama or Nomura or the old guard have it in them to make a good FF without new blood keeping them in check. Game development is too huge and complex now, and new talent needs a chance on the big stage.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have none. You could say I have negative expectations.

edit: if FF16 is a single-player game that is. If it's another MMO then I simply don't care.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Instead of FF in a world that looks like ours, it would be cool to see an FF16 that is more absurdist or whimsical in it's art direction, but still look fantastic as far as the graphics go. Like seeing the artwork of FF6 or 9 but with an uncanny realism.

That being graphics are not really a top concern for me, but rather a unique story, setting, and art style are - and adding new twists to gameplay/combat. The pinnacle of FF for me is 6 through 9, all very different settings, stories, art, and twists added to the ATB of that time.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I'm expecting it to be a medieval fantasy action-rpg directed by Yoshida. I don't think the combat or gameplay will change too much from XV but I expect the storytelling to be more polished

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
A good story.

I know I'd love to have turnbased, good character designs and stuff too. But seriously, just some good writing would be nice. I miss good writing.

My expectations are so low at this point right now unless the rumors of Yoshi-P working on it pan out.

JohnF

Jan 19, 2019
Disappointment, mostly. I'm expecting another action RPG with a badly executed plot that has amazing visuals and nothing else to speak for.

I'd love to be wrong though.