• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
With the rumored announcement of the next Borderlands entry around the corner, it could be interesting to take a look back at the series, the lack of improvement in the genre of loot-based action games, and what changes Gearbox could make to their formula to ensure Borderlands 3 meets the high expectations it'll surely carry

Destiny 2 is finally in a place where I can call it an enjoyable experience and Division 2 seems to be well crafted (even with a dull setting and narrative), but the (forgive me) loot shooter genre has faced a tough time since the successful release of Borderlands 2. The first Destiny and Division entries sold well, but had fatal flaws that kept players such as myself invested after an initial play-through, and Anthem is currently dying a death of a thousand cuts. Even if no one has quite nailed a day one experience like BL2 did, the genre has still changed quite a bit, and I hope Gearbox has been paying close attention to what each attempt got right and got wrong.

As far as areas I'd like to see Gearbox improve on...

- Weightier Shooting

The shooting alone was the only reason why Bungie was able to get away with so much being wrong with Destiny on launch. The narrative and replayability was a complete miss, but hot damn, there was, and still isn't an FPS as satisfying to fire weapons in as Destiny. Going back to Borderlands nowadays, I can't help but notice the guns feel a but weightless by comparison. I hope they can buff up the sense of impact this time around. And can we please get some hit-markers?

- Replayability

Out of every other game in the genre, BL2 still holds the best replayability factor, but there are still some issues that get in the way. Not being able to skip cut-scenes means you have to watch the same narratives bits and annoying character intro splash screen over and over again, which quickly grows tiresome in a game with such hit and miss humor. I also remember having issues with the way BL2 scaled content. My brother and I would always find ourselves over-leveled for main quests because we spent so much completing side-content. This meant that went we finally got around to the main story missions, we would only receive single digits of XP and low levels drops, which was quite unrewarding.

- Humor

There are times when my brother and I had to pause the game because we were laughing so much at certain comedic moments in the previous games, but also an equal amount of times we would both suffer from second hand embarrassment because of how much of a miss the humor could also be. I'm not sure who is and isn't responsible for the worst moments of BL2, but I really hope they aren't involved this time around.

- Online Play
Playing with randoms is perhaps the only aspect of the genre that other games have improved in. The only thing Bioware managed to get right with Anthem was how every activity had matchmaking, making it easy to group of with other players. The previous Borderlands games had matchmaking as well, but the ability to see and steal other players dropped items was completely mind-boggling at the time, and I hope that is an issue that will be corrected this time around

How about you, Era?

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
If it doesn't support split screen/couch co-op they've lost the plot.

I'd also like the ability to maybe adjust the difficulty on the fly to get to max level on new characters quicker. Worst part of the previous games was beating the game and realizing you were only half way to max level, so you gotta play through the same stuff again to max out. I don't want to do that on a brand new character if I've cleared the game already!

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
Good fast paced shooting, options to "Create-A-Gun" so you can choose a manufacturer and get the gun type and parts/look you want, and the return on Zer0 as a character.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I expect BL 3 to be online only but I really hope it's not.
I hope they tone down the humor and up the loot to include armor parts like headgear, gloves, chest armor, pants, legs. The more stuff to collect the better.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
I just want turn your brain off and shoot things. Borderlands 2 but kinda different is fine by me. Cross play would be amazing.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
60fps on consoles, 8 player coop, verticality, no level limit, no end, nukes, knives, clothing loot, biggest open world ever, 4k, hdr, solo fun, non cell shaded, ability to fly, ability to slap Randy, small dl size, $40 retail, September release, steel book

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I expect memes. The flattest memes.

What I would like is to be able to not spawn at the beginning of a hour long map with every enemy back whenever I quit the game.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
I would love to see some stronger character development for the playable characters equal to that of the side characters. Maybe meatier missions that deal with past actions or how they fit into the world. They could have them speak over comms if they aren't in the group or out loud if they are. I know they have touched on this a little before, I'd just like to see more of it.

Adree

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An amazing magic trick to be performed in which the player character gets soaked.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Bet they'll market themselves as the GOAT in the genre and the humour will be enough to get people hyped. In comparison, the big 3 Shlooters take themselves too seriously

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I somehow expect it to be an online shlooter mtx'd up to the max with lots of anti-sjw jokes and without split-screen/ couch-coop.
Hope I'm wrong.

Eikemo

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 20, 2018
My biggest issue with Borderlands 2 is the week feeling shooting, so if they manage to make it feel more satisfying I'm all in

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Borderlands is at its best when it stays silly. So above all, stay silly.

Crazy-ass weapons
Crazy-ass bosses and dialogue
More enemies that manipulate the encounter space (like the badasses from BL2)
Fun classes with multiple build paths that are equally compelling
DLC on par with Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep
Make melee more interesting to use if it's kept
Keep split-screen co-op (please!)
Steve

60FPS on console - hard to think about 30 again after Handsome collection and PC play on a 144hz

I am ready to throw money at this thing. All hail the king of Looter Shooters!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Borderlands 2 feels like it was a decade ago. And almost is.
I expect Borderlands 3 to be exclusive to the Epic store and focused on GaaS stuff.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
I want more Claptrap.
009E4BD73C6D330F27A7AF22F4A1F2DC4AE399A2

Oct 30, 2017
Create a character or at least multiple women who are not a boring ass siren. But seriously, I really hope that we get a create a character because it is not like they even do anything with the playable characters that they create.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Expectations based of the rumors is basically "like Borderlands 2, but bigger and better"

Other than that, there's some things I hope they do. Some of the major ones being these
  • Have a social hub. Sanctuary in BL2 basically felt like a social hub, but without the people. I'm sure BL3 will have a similar hub, and I see no reason why there that couldn't be a Destiny style Tower hub where you can meet up with friends seamlessly, inspect the gear of other players, and so on.
  • Fleshed out Matchmaking/Groupfinder. Have there be matchmaking that people can use for missions and any other activities they might add. And also let me search for more specific types of groups, for instance say I want to farm a certain boss. Let me create or search for other people that are also interested in farming that boss.
  • More detailed character customization. BL2 was kinda sparse in this area. You could earn different head skins, color schemes, and buy a handful of custome skin dlc's for each class. But that stuff was overall pretty sparse. In BL3 I hope we see way more options to customize the class characters, but also the weapons.
  • Better designed endgame content/bosses. BL2's endgame is great in a lot of ways, it has a lot of depth and layers (TVHM, UVHM, OP8 modes. As well as how awesome high end gear ends up being). But I think the various bosses and raid bosses are quite poor from an encounter design perspective. I'd like to see these improve and become a more interesting and meaningful part of the endgame of BL3 than in it's BL2 counterpart
  • The game should be treated with the GaaS mindset from Gearbox. Support it with quality updates and content like Borderlands 2 got, but rather than doing it for just one year, it should be for many years.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
IF they drop a tid bit of physics in and work on the momentum/movement aspect of their gameplay loop a bit it would be great. The floaty/carboardy feel of the first two games didn't bother me back then cause the concept and execution was so new. It'd probably bug me a lot more now after Anthem and Destiny improving on movement and the weighty feeling of just moving around.

And also some ridiculous new classes would be dope. A siren with something other than invis/stasis... a proper necro style character, Unforgiven to be back in the game.

I could go on. Mostly i just hope it doesn't suck like that last one on the moon did.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
A bit heavier emphasis on story, memes, loot, Clap Trap, dlc, more character customization and video game jokes.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I'm hoping for VR support. Maybe not at launch, but after playing the PSVR with the AIM controller, I have no desire to play it any other way, even in coop, which I loved in BL1-2. It's that fucking good.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I just can't get into borderlands..think it may be the feel. If they somehow can improve that significantly I am in. But I doubt it: it's just the way it is and clearly has it's fans

More destiny like is a good thing for me

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
with the whole microtransaction and lootboxes thingy being rampant, sadly i have my expectations very low..i like borderlands, but it seems a franchise made for that kind of thingsand i'm sure they will jump to the chance.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the shooting in Battleborn also shit? I really don't expect them to fix the awful gunplay.

It'll be Borderlands 2 with more microtransactions. Probably paid loot boxes. They were ahead of their time with cosmetics in Borderlands 2. They just didn't have loot boxes containing them. Ideally they would also make the driving at least tolerable. That's something Bungie also nailed with Destiny. Sparrows are incredibly easy to control and access.

I have low expectations for Gearbox.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing but claptrap. He should be the only one to speak dialogue.

Honestly I want more of two. Really loved that game until the end where they started locking boss battles to time gates. I'm afraid they'll follow is destiny's footsteps and lock all the end game stuff to weekly events.

Doomedfool

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I want the whole campaign done in the style of Assault on Dragon's Keep. I know I am probably the only one who would want that, and there is no way it is going to happen. It was probably my favorite part of the 3 borderlands games I played though. As someone who played more than my share of pen and paper D&D when I was younger, I got a kick out of it.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
People are talking about B3 beeing Destiny-like like it would drastically change the formula. But Borderlands 2 was basically Destiny-like just without always online and random players (and without raids etc of course) if you thinkg about it. Bullet-spongy enemies, loot-oriented game progression, repetitive missions, best in co-op.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
More of the same with some extras added. I love Borderlands.

The O2 kit from The Pre Sequel....ehhh, lol