• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
ykPX9rH.jpg

Finished this novel by Patrick Weekes, writer from Bioware. I initially bought it because I knew I'd like his writing style, since I loved The Masked Empire. The setting was very interesting, and all the characters pretty lovable. Still, it took me some time to finish it, for some reason I stopped being enthralled in it for a few months, but when I came back to it, it was still vivid in my mind and the characters and plot still fell right back into motion. I loved the very diverse cast, even though I think they lacked nuance and depths a bit, but it was still very interesting and uplifting for sure.
I overall had an enjoyable moment, although I'm not sure the novel itself will stay in my memory for long.
7/10

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
ykPX9rH.jpg

Finished this novel by Patrick Weeks, writer from Bioware. I initially bought it because I knew I'd like his writing style, since I loved The Masked Empire. The setting was very interesting, and all the characters pretty lovable. Still, it took me so time to finish it, for some reason I stopped being enthralled in it for a few months, but when I came back to it, it was still vivid in my mind and the characters and plot still fell right back into motion. I loved the very diverse cast, even though I think they lacked nuance and depths a bit, but it was still very interesting and uplifting for sure.
I overall have an enjoyable moment, although I'm not sure the novel itself will stay in my memories for long.
7/10

If I remember correctly Patrick Weekes has created some of my favorite characters in Mass Effect (like Mordin). Maybe I should check this out

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
This is my biggest issue with series, I often forget a ton of details, but to read through everything again is a massive timesink that I could spend reading things I haven't read yet. I'm still very excited for the next book.
I can relate as I'm usually overwhelmed by the excess of lore/characters/history/places/etc one has to keep track of in fantasy epics like this one, which is why I'm usually very wary of getting into another one, but I've found for the Stormlight books: 1) Sanderson's prose is super straightforward and not nearly as confusing/obscure as other series' which actually works in my favor. I'm having a much better time keeping facts straight in my mind reading these books unlike, say, the Baru Cormorant ones (which I love but are decidedly more difficult to get to stick in my head) and 2) there's a super complete wiki I can go back to if I want to remember what's up. Seriously, it's a godsend. It might make sense to just read the chapter summaries from there if the prospect of re-reading the first 3 books is too intimidating. I've found them to be super complete, although one has to be wary of spoilers. I'll probably do that after finishing Oathbringer.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finished:

images

and it was brilliant. Having been a huge fan of Alan Moore I'd bought and really enjoyed From Hell, which alongside the usual television shows and films had given me a fairly decent knowledge of the story of Jack the Ripper. This book tells the story of the 5 women who he killed and how they had been destroyed by the times they'd lived in and then by the stories we tell about Jack - glossing over the lives they lived so they are little more than window dressing to a horrendous story of male violence. It also doesn't give any details of the murders - just their lives which is very effective and also, makes sure the story doesn't become about what Jack the Ripper did.

For example, the fact that most people know about them - that they were prostitutes - turns out to be definitely wrong for three of them, most likely not for one of them and for Mary Jane Kelly she had been trafficked to Paris before returning to London, settling in the area around Whitechapel in order to hide from any revenge for having fled Paris.

Anyone interested in the story of Jack the Ripper or what life was like for women in Victorian London should read this book.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
there's a super complete wiki I can go back to if I want to remember what's up. Seriously, it's a godsend. It might make sense to just read the chapter summaries from there if the prospect of re-reading the first 3 books is too intimidating. I've found them to be super complete, although one has to be wary of spoilers. I'll probably do that after finishing Oathbringer.
I might go this route too. Wiki is pretty invaluable, and the fact the books haven't been released that far apart. I know I read through the books pretty quickly the first time, which is why I wouldn't mind a reread but we'll see since I already have a ton of library holds that I'm juggling.
I probably could read the new novel without any refresher though. The characters feel fresh in my mind and I don't think I've forgotten any crucial story details.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I've decide to stop reading on my tablet and get an ereader but I cant decide between Kobo Clara and Kindle Paperwhite.

Like the comfortlight and open system of the Kobo but Ive seen people say the hardware isnt as reliable as Kindle. Would like something that lasts me 2-3 years.

Kindle has the better ecosystem but it's more closed off. Also dont want to support Bezos but no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that...

Ive also seen people say the Paperwhite will probably get a revision this year. Should I wait on that instead?

Oct 25, 2017
On to book 4 of The Expanse

Reading has slowed down considerably in the last few days haha. The high of reading Way of Kings and wanting to keep reading lasted for another week but now I'm back to my normal rate of reading.

Dec 11, 2017
As I said earlier, when I was about 100 pages in:

50-some pages later, guess who showed up?

David Mitchell's eighth novel, about the career of a British psychedelia band in the late 1960s, has an eclectic mix of story types that rather resembles the disparate musical influences of the band, ranging from lone female member Elf, a folk-adjacent musician whose story is about some very human family and identity concerns, to Anglo-Dutch guitarist Jasper de Zoet, who is housing within his mind the spirit of the villain from The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, who apparently piggybacked with Jacob and has been passing down through his male line for over a century while regaining strength. Mitchell's never one to shy away from mixing genres, and we get the usual parade of cameos and supporting turns from figures in his other novels, including Luisa Rey from Cloud Atlas, who it turns out is gay (unless I forgot that that was a thing in the first book); and the Horologists from The Bone Clocks.

This one also has a ton of cameos from real-life figures in music and culture from the period, some of which feel a bit gimmicky, while others do feel natural to the setting. Mitchell's prose style is as good as ever, and his character writing is sharp. I left wishing that Utopia Avenue's albums really existed, because the book makes them sound awesome. And he makes a noble attempt to rescue the reputation of the Baby Boomer generation, writing a defense of their radicalism-turned-selling-out that is probably better than they deserve.

As someone who has never read any of his books, is there a particular order they should be read in?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
started Priory of the Orange Tree and already way draw in two chapters in. Sick.

As someone who has never read any of his books, is there a particular order they should be read in?
For the maximal experience, just read in publication order (from Cloud Atlas onward, at least; the first two I actually haven't read, but they aren't referenced as extensively/significantly as subsequent ones). Black Swan Green is also inessential from a shared universe perspective, but it's also just really good. The key linked texts are Cloud Atlas, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, The Bone Clocks, Slade House, and now this.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little ways through Words of Radiance and its fun. I feel like this is picking up a lot faster than The Way of Kings (which is good). Also I'm enjoying this a lot more than when I had to go through the second Mistborn book. I'm glad Sanderson's learned from that and isn't bogging me down with information I already know.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
I've decide to stop reading on my tablet and get an ereader but I cant decide between Kobo Clara and Kindle Paperwhite.

Like the comfortlight and open system of the Kobo but Ive seen people say the hardware isnt as reliable as Kindle. Would like something that lasts me 2-3 years.

Kindle has the better ecosystem but it's more closed off. Also dont want to support Bezos but no ethical consumption under capitalism and all that...

Ive also seen people say the Paperwhite will probably get a revision this year. Should I wait on that instead?

The best bet is to likely wait, just in case the Kindle revision is worthwhile.

I've used Kobo for years and absolutely love them. Used an Aura HD for ages, and just got the Libra H2O, and it's even better. They just came out with a fairly cheap Nia version, too, I believe, that might be worth looking into.

Kobo has the luxury of epub and Overdrive and all that, but Kindle does have the stronger ecosystem. It's all down to flexibility (Kobo) and simplicity (Kindle), I'd say. But either way, you'd be getting a great ereader!

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I like Kobo and if your prerequisite is it lasting 2-3 years than anything will do. I had an Aura HD with clumsy Overdrive integration for about 5 years and just upgraded to a Libra, mostly for a nicer backlight and Overdrive from on the device. They also price match ebook sales, though I've never tried it myself.

www.kobo.com

Rakuten Kobo

Kobo offers a Price Match Guarantee. If you find the same eBook on another website for a lower price, we'll credit you the difference plus an extra 10%!

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Heart of Darkness is literary Impressionism at its finest, you may dislike it but if so I'd avoid any other examples of it because it hasn't been bettered.

I enjoyed the prose and Conrad can really paint an image leading up to Kurtz which was claustorphobic. In the end maybe I didn't grasp enough of the symbolism present to really think it was that interesting.

I don't think I missunderstood that Kurtz as a character represents white colonialism and how he went insane cause he crossed the line into barbarity etc...

I guess Conrad gets some points for pointing out that colonialism is a disastrous project.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Got through quite a few books since my last post in May, finished these in the last 10 weeks, probably would have been a fewer number of books if Peace Talk's hadn't been released and I needed to do a re-read to refresh my memory (although after reading it my re-read of the Dresden series probably could have been put on hold till Battle Ground).

19341493._SY475_.jpg
11247634.jpg
11252929.jpg
11983677.jpg
5094.jpg
11280352.jpg
11815974.jpg
47212._SY475_.jpg
91477.jpg
91476.jpg
91478.jpg
91479.jpg
99383.jpg
17683.jpg
91474.jpg
91475.jpg
927979.jpg
3475161.jpg
6585201.jpg
8058301.jpg
12216302.jpg
19486421.jpg
52949193._SX318_SY475_.jpg
53071972._SX318_SY475_.jpg
34084.jpg

So I am still on my Steven King odyssey, As for the Talisman I really enjoyed this book so much so that Wolf still pops into my mind 10 weeks later
The book is partly written by SK so I was expecting Wolf to die at some point but still I hoped he would survive, when you think he somehow survived at the end of the book but it turns out its Wolf older brother I was so gutted but I am glad there is a second book in the series and I am looking forward to reading that when I get to it.

Thinner was OK, not outstanding but at least I understand the Family Guy Brittney Spears thicker joke now.

IT is an absolutely outstanding book, like the majority of the SK books I have really liked its a slow burner, I was about 70% into the book enjoying the world building and I felt I didn't want to read anymore as I had the feeling things were finally about to kick off and were about to start going downhill for the characters. Obviously I did finish it and it was a really satisfying read. The mentions of Dark Tower related things were nice little extra's as well.

I'm on my second read of the Dark Tower books so not much to say on The Drawing of the Three and The Waste Lands but I cant help feeling that if you are going to do a SK read then the Dark Tower books are probably worth reading through first.

Misery I thought was quite boring, Like Cujo the lack of anything really supernatural made it a little boring for me, although maybe my enjoyment was diluted like The Shining because I had seen the movie at some point I basically knew the general story before I even started the book.

The Tommyknockers is another great book, A slow buildup with a absolutely crazy final part of the book.

The Dresden re-read was definitely needed at some point as the series seemed to be heading towards is conclusion after Skin Game and it had been so long since I read that that I needed to refresh. The re-read could have been put on hold till August-September closer to Battle Ground as Peace Talks basically felt like a prequel book to BG rather than its own stand alone story. To be fair I probably needed a palate cleanse so to speak from SK books as they are not really light reads. Dresden on the other hand, they are OK books in an interesting world that don't require a lot of thinking and each book only takes about a day to read.

Fair Warning, you know what you are getting from Michael Connelly. Just a solid crime/mystery book.

This is what I am reading now:-

411204.jpg

Into the final 25% of this book so its probably all getting ready to kick off
cant wait to find out who or what Gaunt is, definitely gives off a devily vibe

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I thought it paled in comparison to Pride and Prejudice. I really couldn't tolerate it at all.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine book but the lesser of all of her novels imo.
That makes sense. I wrote my thoughts out a bit more in a Goodreads review:
The novel comes clad in the same societal drapings of Pride and Prejudice without the driving wit and intrigue that propelled it beyond a frivolous romance novel. The portrayal of sense by Elinor and sensibility by Marianne in the novel felt too on the nose and often constrained the Dashwood's character beyond those repetitious traits. This would not be a failure if the other characters that appeared in the novel were thought out as more than mere caricatures as the two sisters are often the only voices of reason, intellectual thought, or true feelings in the book.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
That makes sense. I wrote my thoughts out a bit more in a Goodreads review:

I think there is wit there, and smart portrayals, and I should re-read it, but I agree Elinor and Marianne are a little on the nose. I really like Colonel Brandon, maybe coloured by Alan Rickman's performance in the film.

I feel all the other novels have their 'place'. Pride and Prejudice is the crowd-pleaser with the most attractive heroine. Emma is the technically and formally inventive, clever little marvel of a novel (with the least sympathetic heroine). Northanger Abbey is the laugh out loud comedy. Persuasion is the more emotional, down to earth final work of her career. Mansfield Park is the complex and controversial marmite novel that everyone's got a hot take on. But Sense and Sensibility is as you say, 'like Pride and Prejudice but not quite as good'. But as far as overly romantic film adaptations go Ang Lee's S&S is the best.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think there is wit there, and smart portrayals, and I should re-read it, but I agree Elinor and Marianne are a little on the nose. I really like Colonel Brandon, maybe coloured by Alan Rickman's performance in the film.

I feel all the other novels have their 'place'. Pride and Prejudice is the crowd-pleaser with the most attractive heroine. Emma is the technically and formally inventive, clever little marvel of a novel (with the least sympathetic heroine). Northanger Abbey is the laugh out loud comedy. Persuasion is the more emotional, down to earth final work of her career. Mansfield Park is the complex and controversial marmite novel that everyone's got a hot take on. But Sense and Sensibility is as you say, 'like Pride and Prejudice but not quite as good'. But as far as overly romantic film adaptations go Ang Lee's S&S is the best.
I haven't seen the movie so I have no influence from that at all but I will try to now. Colonel Brandon felt a bit like a modern-day simp who hung around just hoping for Marianne to finally like him and used his wealth and influence to show good intention where his lack of personality could not. It's good to hear that her other novels are worthy in different ways, I'll be interested in getting around to them all at some point.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
I just finished The City of Mirrors, the final book of The Passage trilogy, by Justin Cronin. The series wasn't perfect but was a great ride.

noctix

Oct 27, 2017
DwOFBEI.jpg

Just finished this bad boy 2 days. Absolutely amazing. I think I still enjoyed Way of Kings more. Decided to take a break before I read Edgedancer.
Started reading the The Poppy War. Half way through. So far it is a solid book. Simple prose but very fast book to read.

35068705.jpg

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Just finished this bad boy 2 days. Absolutely amazing. I think I still enjoyed Way of Kings more.

2 days?! Wow. I've been at it for at least a week and I'll need another 5 days at least lol. So far I'm enjoying it a whole lot though, time well spent for sure. Just got to the Lift interlude and really liked the change of tone at least for a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I thought 10 days for Way of Kings with two of those being minimal reading days because of eye dilation and irritation afterwards was fast.

Damn

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Heads up: A Memory Called Empire (currently a Hugo 2020 nominee) is $3 on Amazon.com and Amazon.ca right now.
Strongly recommended, I read it earlier this year and it's one of my favorite reads this year so far.

Here's the goodreads description:
Ambassador Mahit Dzmare arrives in the center of the multi-system Teixcalaanli Empire only to discover that her predecessor, the previous ambassador from their small but fiercely independent mining Station, has died. But no one will admit that his death wasn't an accident—or that Mahit might be next to die, during a time of political instability in the highest echelons of the imperial court.

Now, Mahit must discover who is behind the murder, rescue herself, and save her Station from Teixcalaan's unceasing expansion—all while navigating an alien culture that is all too seductive, engaging in intrigues of her own, and hiding a deadly technological secret—one that might spell the end of her Station and her way of life—or rescue it from annihilation.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Crossroads of Twilight, book 10 of Wheel of Time.
Book 9 ended with a pretty amazing scene and I've been waiting for the fallout and Jordan just trickles it in here and there letting you see how each character experiences it. It's pretty cool way to do it though leaving me a bit frustrated wanting to see how it affects everyone. Just need to keep reading, haha.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finished:

images

the story about how the details regarding Harvey Weinstein finally came out. It's a really informative and harrowing read and just shows how far people in power will and can go to make sure that other people stay silent. The amount of pressure put on the reporters to stop the story by their bosses is just horrible and all comes from the power and fear Weinstein had over them.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Crossroads of Twilight, book 10 of Wheel of Time.
Book 9 ended with a pretty amazing scene and I've been waiting for the fallout and Jordan just trickles it in here and there letting you see how each character experiences it. It's pretty cool way to do it though leaving me a bit frustrated wanting to see how it affects everyone. Just need to keep reading, haha.
CoT is easily the worst book in the series, I warn you now.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished The Calculating Stars, very good alt-history sci-fi story chronicling the accelerated development of a global space program in the 50s after a meteorite impacts D.C. as told from the eyes of a woman computer and pilot who wants to be an astronaut. No wonder it won the Hugo last year.

33080122.jpg
I liked it but the two parts of the novel just felt so disconnected. It was like there was no point to the first half.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
In a drought right now. Any recommendations in the superhero genre that are not connected to a franchise? (novels only)

The Umbrella Academy has be interested in more.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Star Trek Vanguard Harbinger (Book #1). I'm fairly early on and it's been so so. I mean I like it, it feels like Trek to me and they should turn this into TV show ASAP. But at the same time the book is kinda corny, some of the jokes and character just feel really out dated. But at the same time, they feel like they belong in Trek universe and this is Trek I would watch on tv for sure.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
So my "taking a break from Wheel of Time" books arrived. Already almost done with "So you want to talk about race", decided to make that the first since the subject matter is topical (didn't hurt that it's pretty short too :) ). Now to the next issue, which to start first from...

The City We Became
Axiom's End
Three-Body Problem trilogy
The Priory of the Orange Tree

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Finished The Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa. Good read but I feel pretty depressed now.

Time for some classic sci-fi now with Land Under England Joseph O'Neill. The blurb for this one sounds amazing: telepathic Romans living underground.

Saduj

Banned
Jul 30, 2019
images

Just finished it, talks about the polio epidemic in the US during WW2, quite the somber book.