• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Will there be Mario Kart for Switch?

Like, if it's coming out - it's not possible it will not be overshadowed by the amount of stuff MK8D has to offer. They have to change some stuff and add new gimmicks I think.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
We need more options! The only way to turn off rubberbanding in single player is to play in teams. It makes no sense.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Unless it's a spin off like Forza -> Forza Horizon, nothing, I prefer to stay with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

The main thing is that they do not waste resources in story modes or nonsense like that

Deleted member 59

For me it's a strong single player component. Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed had a fantastic world tour/mission mode and I'd love something like that. Things like:

Time Trials/Fastest Lap
Handicap races where everyone else has items and you don't
Overtake X amount of racers in one lap
Standard GP

Just something other than standard Mario kart cups.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Honestly think Mario Kart 9 won't be on the switch and if it is it will be cross buy for the next console

I also want more fro Mario kart besides the cups and multiplayer and online I would like

Mission Mode
Story Mode like CTR a reason for racing

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I'm hoping it to be "Wario Kart" instead. I'm tired of seeing same old characters in every game and new characters always lacked imagination. Dry Bones Bowser? Baby Daisy? Come on.

Give me Wario universe characters instead. Wario, Merida, Captain Syrup, Shake King, Princess Shokora, Golden Diva, Jimmy T, Mona, Dribble & Spitz, 9-Volt (yours truly), 18-Volt, Kat & Ana, Orbulon, Dr Crygor... Tracks would be more diverse too. From Toyland to Transylvania.

I didn't realise i wanted this until now

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Echoing what others have said a bit but I'd prefer they either continue to open up the game to other franchises and make it a full blown Nintendo celebration, OR, swerve a bit with the Mario representation and offer some more unique choices like Super Mario Party did, get characters like Goomba and Monty Mole in there. Other than that, I just want to see a continuation of DLC like 8 did and yeah, some more single player content would be nice.

All this being said, are we sure Mario Kart will release again on Switch? 8 Deluxe was a port, but didn't that team also divert over to make ARMS? How long to Mario Kart games take?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Throwing away sales? People who own MK8 Deluxe would buy MK9 too...

Not worth it to split the userbase. The argument is pointless because Nintendo are going to agree with me and continue following the trend they always have for mario kart releases. The next mario kart is a mobile game and then we won't see another one until the switch successor.

They aren't interested in breaking the one retail mario kart per console trend because above all else they want the brand to hold value, part of which is the knowledge for the customer that when they buy the first mario kart release, that is the only retail product they're going to need for the consoles life.

Last edited:

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I'm hoping to be able to play it without subscribing to their crappy online, or they fix their online and make it so it works like other systems' versions.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
A proper battle mode.
60fps.
Real AI, cut the stupid rubber banding.
Also, more realistic CPU use of items...
Oh and karts or cars; a parachute is alright but magnetic wheels aren't that fun IMO.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I'm skeptical it will be a Switch title. They released a Wii U port and it's still selling well. Mario Kart is a system seller, they're gonna save it for the next system's launch.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love if it just became smash kart, tons of video game characters, track editor, tons of options, and settings. qualifying modes for races, and better online modes and rankings. truly embrace the gaas model too. wanting new racers and cosmetics for a few years.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Unlikely Switch release. Have you seen the sales of Mario Kart? It basically sells consistently throughout the lifecycle of a console. Nintendo's strategy with MK is: release it early, keep the price steady, bundle it up and don't canibalize the sales with a sequel.
Ok it's a port so we might get some extra DLC down the line but that's about it. There's 0.1% chance that MK9 is for the switch.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt we will se Mario Kart 9 on Switch.
Mario Kart 8 DX is an evergreen title, and ita selling like if it was a new title - and for many people it is. While many may have played the original MK 8 here on Era, the forum is full of fans that still got the Wii U, but most people skipped it.

The Mario Kart team is probably busy experimenting with something else after ARMS, and while planning must be underway for 9, they also have the freedom to try new things.

That said, I'd be interested in a robust single player mode. That tends to make or break multiplayer games for me, since I usually have to play vs the AI.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want Nintendo Kart, not Mario Kart. We got a taste with Link and Villager etc. being in 8, it's time to bring em' all in. Kirby and his Warp Star, Falcon and his Blue Falcon, Link and his Horse Motorcycle, Fox in an Arwing, bing bang boom.

Deleted member 33382

User request account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Scrap the blue shell. Bullet bills are far superior for players flagging. Either that or change it's behavioir so it hits every person in front of the player that fires it giving them a slow debuff like lightning for a larger period of time depending on how far in front you are.

I would say fix the laggy ass online but that'll never happen. It's great fun seeing your item hit someone and not see them slow down or even react to it.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scrap the blue shell. Bullet bills are far superior for players flagging. Either that or change it's behavioir so it hits every person in front of the player that fires it giving them a slow debuff like lightning for a larger period of time depending on how far in front you are.

I would say fix the laggy ass online but that'll never happen. It's great fun seeing your item hit someone and not see them slow down or even react to it.
It's still waaaay better than Smash lol.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
8DX is already perfect. Let the Wave Race game hinted by Takahashi and Star Fox Grand Prix shine.
(And the F-Zero revival by PlatinumGames, directed by Kamiya)

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
For it to be called F-Zero SX, and to be an actual F-Zero game. By PlatinumGames, directed by whoever directed GX. Let Kamiya direct Bayo 3 in peace.

Screw a new Mario Kart, you already have one of those on Switch, just make more content for that.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I hope next Mario Kart will focus on local multiplayer. Mario Kart 8 is maybe the best in online multiplayer, but it's the worst in local multiplayer, in race as in battle mode.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Wish list:

- No MK9 until Switch 2 (or equivalent). It isn't needed right now.
- More balanced choice of items (no blue shell)
- Better single player
- Fewer babies and similar unimaginative additions, more interesting characters from Mario history.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
If i thought their online could handle it I'd actually love a BR mode. Basically battle mode with bigger maps, maybe like 24-32 players. 1 life, last kart standing. I think it would be pretty fun... but its nintendo online so it would be laggy as hell.

I know a lot of people dont want this but i wouldnt mind if Mario Kart just went full Smash bros and started crossing over with other series. It would be way easier to add characters to MK because you wouldnt have to consider a moveset/game balance. Its literally just give them a character model, a track, some music and a kart

whatever it is id like to see a big shakeup that doesnt mess with what already works in MK8

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
For it to be called F-Zero SX, and to be an actual F-Zero game. By PlatinumGames, directed by whoever directed GX. Let Kamiya direct Bayo 3 in peace.

Screw a new Mario Kart, you already have one of those on Switch, just make more content for that.

Why...would you ask Platinum to make a racing game?

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
It'll be hard to go back to four standard cups and four retro cups. I'm hoping for more of a Smash situation where they add in everything from Mario Kart 8: Deluxe, add in four new cups, more characters outside the Mario universe, and new mechanic outside of gravity-defying courses.

If they are starting over from scratch, than I would want an actual single-player mode in the vein of Mario Tennis: Power Tour where you're an up-and-coming racer who meets all these wacky Nintendo characters that give you different tasks; for example, Mechanic Duos Wario and Waluigi want you to powerslide around tires laid around Mario Circuit, which then ends in you racing them and getting slick tires from them. Daisy would want to drag race against your character, so you'd have to set your car up for drag racing.

I'm bored of the Grand Prix formula and couldn't manage to beat it in Mario Kart 8: Deluxe because it got monotonous fast. And the A.I. is cheap and I don't have time for that bull crap anymore.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I would like it to have a proper career. Something like Burnout 3/4 where there is a progression, different types of modes, medals for each race or stars or whatever.

Dambrosi

Oct 25, 2017
Why...would you ask Platinum to make a racing game?
I dunno, ask the guy above me. Personally, I'd rather ask the original development team at Sega to recapture the magic, if I knew that they still existed in the same form, which I doubt.

No, my point with the post was that y'all Mario Kart fans have a game on Switch already, so ask Nintendo to go update that one, and let the rest of us look forward to Ridge Racer 8 like the good little Namcobots we are.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the obvious choice would be to go the "Smash Ultimate" route, but I think I'd like to see them sort of go back to the basics and start fresh...

SMASH WORLD TOUR

* First, cull the roster---it's too bloated in a bad way. I'd go for only characters who are unique individuals. I'm thinking you'd have 16 starting characters: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Wario, Waluigi, Yoshi, Birdo, Toad, Toadette, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Kamek, and Petey Piranha. Then you'd have eight unlockable characters: Rosalina, King K. Rool, Pauline, E. Gadd, Poochy (surely he can drive?), King Boo, Nabbit, and King Bob-Omb.

* I'd return to the back to the basics approach for Karts---I'd keep the glide mechanic, as that offers up some cool scenic moments, but I'd remove bikes, underwater segments, and anti-gravity. I'd focus on getting the feel of the Karts JUST RIGHT, and make it tight and precise. I know some people like customization with Karts, but personally I'd like to see perhaps more of a focus on the characters again so I'd go with each character getting their own Kart custom tailored to their personality. Maybe you could unlock alternate colors for each Kart to spice things up, however---like maybe Mario's Kart is normally Red and Blue, but there's a Red and White Fire Flower-style design as well.

* The game would feature 32 all new tracks divided into two sections. I'm not interested in retro tracks again right after Mario 8 brought so many back, so I'd like to see them take a break. 16 of the tracks are "Mario" tracks, while the other 16 are based around real-world locales. After seeing Mario trekking around a realistic city in Odyssey, I realize that might be pretty cool to see in Mario Kart as well. You could still have the tracks "gamey" though, don't make them plain Forza-style tracks or anything like that, but a tad more down to earth. There are two Grand Prix modes, one focused on Mario tracks with Items, and one focused on Real tracks without Items and more focused on pure skill.

* Single Player Mission Mode. Based around Spirit Battles from Ultimate, as well as the single player mode in Sega All Stars Transformed. You navigate a Mario-style worldmap, and meet minor Mario enemies and species who give you challenges---these are races with special requirements like navigating through rings, collecting coins, and lots of other little events beyond simply racing the A.I. These races also would use special abridged versions of the main courses in some cases. At the end of each world is a boss, which is like the Boss Battles in Mario Kart DS.

* Collectibles since they're doing that a lot with Korok Seeds/Spirits/Moons. I think little "penny racers", like the ones from that Mario Party 1 mini-game, a little toy car with a bobble head figure sticking out. There'd be like 100 of these to collect, and in Multiplayer you can equip one granting you a special ability (an increase in stat, beginning each lap with an item, etc.), with them representing Mario characters including more obscure ones like Wart and Tatanga. By hooking up Switches, you can create a race track for them through each of the Switch like the Super Mario Party Tank Mini-Game, and race them around like the Mario Part 1 mini-game.

* Really nice local multiplayer and online, including the ability to adjust items and the like.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MK9 should bring a new twist with it. Such as how DD had 2 racers, 7 had the glider and underwater sections, and 8 had anti-gravity. It would help it have a unique identity.

I feel like 8 did a really good job with unique track locales, so go crazier with it Odyssey style. Hell they can do a Moon cup with 4 tracks inspired by Odyssey. In general though just keep doing what's been happening since 8 with the unique locations.

Aside from that, things like new modes would dedefinitely be welcome along with more social features for Online. They could also expand the kart customization aspect, though I also understand if they want it to be simple for a wide audience. For the roster, I feel like they should strive to have a wider array of characters, and not just the typical cast you see in a New Super Mario Bros. game.

Lastly, add Captain Toad. Would probably be the best received "clone" if the team wanted to save resources. Can be a medium or heavy weight class to stand apart from Toad, and come with a minecart-inspired vehicle.

latest

Last edited:

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 with Sonic and Sega Racing Transformed levels of single player.

I think Mario Kart 8 edges SASRT out in the end, but it's single player options are a complete joke compared to SASRT

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I'm good with MK8. Don't need another MK until next gen. I'd much rather they work on something else