• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
If we can compare mk8 to mk8 deluxe to ssb4 to ssb ultimate, the former is just an enhanced port, while the latter is a full blown sequel with new content and enhanced graphics. That being said, my expectations are higher now that we see what ssb ultitimate has to offer and reminds me that Nintendo can create a master piece, and not a port job for easy money.

So besides battle mode returning, enhanced graphics, a larger roster and tracks here's what I'm hoping:

-More single player content. The mario kart series single player content is awfully shallow. It's like they're not even trying because they don't try to do anything new with at all. Its just beating the same CUPS on different speeds and difficulties. This is boring and gets old fast after two playthroughs. And time trial mode? That's just an awful excuse for padding if people want to count that as single player content with substance. Why not have challenges and a story mode with bosses? Diddy Kong racing comes to mind.
-More unlocks. MK8 had nearly every character unlocked from the start. They should limit it to a couple racers and have you unlock a racer after every cup or some kind of challenge.
-Rebalanced characters and parts. MK8 deluxe has Heavies still remain supreme, and vehicles and parts in mk8 are actually a downgrade in terms of diversity. Besides tons of clones still, now half the builds are entirely useless to use becase they have too many penalties (mainly for the speed focused ones)
-increased performance. Playing a racing game at 30fps is jarring and easily noticable when its not 60fps. Can we get 60fps in 4 player splitscreen? Or if not.. With an inevitiable switch Pro looming around.. Perhaps with a 1 TFLOP 8GB GPU hybrid console, we can get 720 60fps handheld and 1080p 60fps for 4 player modes?

What are you hoping for?

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
King K. Rool

Other than the king himself, a proper fleshed out single player mode would be nice. They were onto something with Mario Kart DS. It wasn't perfect, but I thought it was fun.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I really doubt there will be a switch MK9, maybe content updates to 8.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the only thing I want for switch is a big $30 DLC Mario Kart 8 pack of like 8 cups and 10 characters.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Essentially I want it to be Super Smash Bros Kart.

Oh, and a track editor.

A career/story mode would also be cool.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • More single-player options
  • More guest Nintendo characters (Octoling, Spring Man, Captain Falcon, Kirby, etc.)
  • 60fps for 4 player
  • Every racer available from the start
  • MKDS's Mission Mode
  • The ability to ban certain items like in Smash

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Super Smash Kart please! I'd love to race in Archanea, Dreamland, etc.

If that's too far, I'd take the WarioWare cast as playable characters.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I guess a more involved single-player mode would be nice. I'd also love if they kept the gravity mechanics from MK8, but that might be a one time gimmick. Beyond that, just a ton of content. MK8 is pretty much a perfect game to me, so just a lot more of it would be great.

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the only thing I want for switch is a big $30 DLC Mario Kart 8 pack of like 8 cups and 10 characters.

This. I love the game to death and wouldrather hem just build on the already incredible package with more content. Preferably a single player mode but that getting added in afterthe fact doesn't make quite as much sense.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Open the roster to larger Nintendo in a much bigger way -- I think the series could evolve to basically being Nintendo All-Stars Racing at this point -- it can stay "Mario Kart" for branding purposes, though, I'm not really suggesting a name change, just the stylistic one where larger Nintendo roster factors in much more.

Other than that, not too concerned about too many other changes -- I'll give them a chance to do whatever else they want.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I only buy Mario Kart because its a fun party game and I never was that interested in the single player mode so I want to see more multiplayer modes and more customization options. I think it would also be fun if you had character specific one time use powerups.

As far as single player goes, a story mode would make me play the single player more. As it stands now I just play it to get to learn the tracks.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Honestly, I'd rather have more Mario Kart 8 DLC. If there were to be a Mario Kart 9 on Switch I'd be in favor of more crossover characters and maybe mixing up the items a bit. I am also not a big fan of the two items so that could go. The coins could probably be cut in favor of something else also.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
9 is the chance to spice things up and change the game up. To make an iteration on 8 Deluxe would hamper the sales of that game.

...So instead, we can actually try something different with Kart 9. Maybe make it open world like Forza Horizon? Actually go all out on an adventure mode for once? Maybe we do Smash Kart?? Go crazy and do something out of the box.

If it fails, fall back to the traditional style with 10. It feels the way Nintendo could do this. 8 is still selling like crazy, why cut off it's legs with 9? Let 9 be it's own unique wild thing so they can sell both 8 and 9, 8 for the those that want something traditional. 9 for those that want something brand new and out there.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like them to follow Splatoon's model by having both continuous updates and with more social and community features. MK8D just looks really old now in comparison to other Nintendo online games.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I honestly wonder if they're working on MK9 right this second. MK8D is going to continue being a very strong title for quite a while longer through the Switch lifecycle.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tracks and characters from other series. I want to Kart around Zebes with Ridley, Kraid, and Mother Brain trying to attack people in certain parts.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes hello smash ultimates unlocks suck ass I dont want the next MK to do it too

Bowser from the start

• More single-player options
  • More guest Nintendo characters (Octoling, Spring Man, Captain Falcon, Kirby, etc.)
  • 60fps for 4 player
  • Every racer available from the start
  • MKDS's Mission Mode
  • The ability to ban certain items like in Smash
Exactly what I want honestly

the weirdo mario purists are annoying because they talk as if all these other series have their own kart racers and they shouldnt disgrace MK anymore with guests. Fuck off I wanna see Link run Kirby off a road.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I really doubt there will be a switch MK9, maybe content updates to 8.
Why do you say that? Every Nintendo console has had its own Mario kart game. 8 was there to fill a gap in the launch window. I fully expect MK9 to be announced on 2019

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
a drastic change in roster, either expanding into obscure Mario characters, or a larger net cast for non-Nintendo racers

no returning courses, all new courses built for the game

expanded multiplayer content, including battle, custom, etc., maybe give players a blank slate to make their own modes/courses and share them

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you say that? Every Nintendo console has had its own Mario kart game. 8 was there to fill a gap in the launch window. I fully expect MK9 to be announced on 2019

Switch has it's Mario Kart, it's MK8 Deluxe. I don't see a Mario Kart 9 unless it's cross gen with a new console.

Oct 27, 2017
-increased performance. Playing a racing game at 30fps is jarring and easily noticable when its not 60fps. Can we get 60fps in 4 player splitscreen? Or if not.. With an inevitiable switch Pro looming around.. Perhaps with a 1 TFLOP 8GB GPU hybrid console, we can get 720 60fps handheld and 1080p 60fps for 4 player modes?

Lol, you act like they didn't try. If they had to go to 30fps its because they couldn't maintain a reasonable closeness to the single screen graphical fidelity at 60fps. More powerful HW isn't going to change that unless the game looks exactly the same as MK8D

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
A track editor that works would be phenomenal, and the sort of game changer which would set it apart from MK8

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
That being said, my expectations are higher now that we see what ssb ultitimate has to offer and reminds me that Nintendo can create a master piece, and not a port job for easy money.

While it's being slightly nitpicky, remember that Smash Ultimate wasn't developed by Nintendo, it was developed by Bandai Namco and Sora (that's why Smash has stuff like fully remappable controls, unlike Nintendo who seems extremely averse to that for some reason).

Nintendo's own masterpieces are games like Breath of the Wild.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want one. Nintendo never has enough talent to devote to their many franchises. Just let MK8 keep selling, and bring back Wave Race or F-Zero.

Or Donkey Kong Racing!

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart Ultimate featuring every track and racer from every MK game ever. Plus new tracks and racers.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Going full on Smash with characters and tracks as well as more single player content are my 2 hopes for the next Mario Kart.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Same thing I've hoped for every Mario Kart since DS: the return of the single player Mission Mode.

Was such a refreshing mode with a lot of fun challenges and bosses.

Maybe have even more missions, and add co-op challenges as well.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
250cc, so we can get a true f zero sequel
Make Mirror Mode something that can be done at all cc levels
Port all the courses from Mario Kart 8

The rest doesn't matter if they can do all that. That being said I really don't see the next Mario Kart coming out on Switch

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wonder if they're working on MK9 right this second. MK8D is going to continue being a very strong title for quite a while longer through the Switch lifecycle.
I doubt it. We know mario kart tour is a thing, the staff that would be working on a mario kart game are probably involved in that area maybe dlc for 8 deluxe (if we're lucky) at most.

It's not a unique game. Eve console got its own unique game. MK8 is a port, nothing more. There will be another MK game.

This comparison only works if you ignore that no other console ever got a mario kart port either.

They won't bother with a mario kart 9 on switch because they'd be throwing a ton of sales away because it oils be releasing late in the system life.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I would love more a new F zero, but making it a Nintendo Kart with everything, rules, new tracks, combination of soundtracks would be really cool too!

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
- Get rid of Babies
- Get rid of Metals
- Replace them with a more diverse selection of characters
- Bring back the Feather in normal races, you cowards