• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
I honestly don't know.....

just got a message from my landlord this week about a package being stolen....

I just have to pray it doesn't get stolen... that's my harsh reality

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
This must be a US thing . But there is no chance in hell here that a delivery guy would just leave a parcel at your doorstep and go , someone has to receive it and sign for it.

Deleted member 25128

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This must be a US thing . But there is no chance in hell here that a delivery guy would just leave a parcel at your doorstep and go , someone has to receive it and sign for it.

With COVID they are leaving items without signature, of course not just outside, but would inside a porch.

For me, I've been working at home for quite a while, I also have holiday booked, and I've been meaning to put up a security camera for ages, so hopefully I'll be covered in multiple ways.

The UK doesn't have as much of a problem with stolen items as the USA does, but I feel a camera is the best option to prove something hasn't been delivered (or put down in your porch, photo taken then taken again, or even taken by another delivery driver).

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

I guess the US is so varied, outside of urban areas a courier may have made a 40minute+ trip off the main route to get just to the area where you are with no other deliveries within a radius of that.

If you live in the UK or Europe you might struggle to understand the scale of that. Hell you might even struggle to understand that next day delivery is not an everyday offering

Hedgey

Oct 29, 2017
I live in Tokyo and I have a storage box attached to my door for packages. They always just put them in there with the code I give them =3

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
If I have to pay someone to be at home on delivery day, I will. I'm soooo burnt this year IDGAF about money anymore (at least for now).

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I will be home for the Series X delivery. My wife will be home for the PS5DE delivery. I'm expecting the Series X not to arrive until the early evening though, same as when I took the day off to be home when the PS4 was arriving.

I'm going to get my NaNo writing and my excersize done. I'm going to get dinner prepared, etc, so that I have all evening to enjoy the console.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Going to do what my Gran did and follow the completely fool proof plan of leaving a note on a piece of paper, so large that it can be seen from space, on the front door, asking the postal worker to leave the item in the shed.

No bad things can happen with that

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
If I had to I'd take the day off or switch my work from home day but alas, COVID, so I'm working from home for the foreseeable future anyway.

Depending on courier, there are scheduling options, and depending on where you live you can have packages held for you.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Going to do what my Gran did and follow the completely fool proof plan of leaving a note on a piece of paper, so large that it can be seen from space, on the front door, asking the postal worker to leave the item in the shed.

No bad things can happen with that
You should do that then sit inside your shed looking creepy , holding a big axe

jonathanp

Oct 28, 2017
I have no idea when it's shipping out so either I'd be home for it or I'd ask someone's who is home to bring it in for me.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
Walk into work, talk to the carrier servicing the route that includes my house, pick up the parcel, and scan it Delivered.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
-Working from home
-Real-time Amazon tracking notifications enabled via the app
-Signed up for FedEx Delivery Manager per Era's advice.
-Live with a large Akita that goes apes shit whenever unknown vehicles park out front

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Wfh got 2 ps5s coming from shopto and amazon.

Will be looking at any delivery van that comes close to my house and waiting on doorstop once they stop

Horror story time though did same for ps4 when amazon delivered my ps4 i saw the guy drop my package from about a foot... nearly went and had a go but i remembered how well they are protected in box.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, in the US they just leave the package in your front door when there's nobody home? Had no idea. That's so weird.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Wait, in the US they just leave the package in your front door when there's nobody home? Had no idea. That's so weird.

Yeah they used to require signatures, then only required them for expensive items, then just said "it's cheaper if we just leave it, not our problem. Didn't want your package stolen? Shoulda been home during this 12 hour window".

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
I am back to selling Fuller Brushes via the internets. People are going crazy cleaning their homes right now.
I've been a brushless man ever since we bought the cottage in the woods with hardwood floors. I find myself vacuuming everyday, so I can attest to keeping a house clean.

In regards to the question at hand, I live in such a remote area that I most delivery people struggle finding it. Also, my wife is mostly working from home due to a certain virus. So between those two things, I hope the consoles will arrive safely.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I guess the US is so varied, outside of urban areas a courier may have made a 40minute+ trip off the main route to get just to the area where you are with no other deliveries within a radius of that.

If you live in the UK or Europe you might struggle to understand the scale of that. Hell you might even struggle to understand that next day delivery is not an everyday offering
I know delivery guys are doing a tough job especially with covid and everything . I meant it's strange they just leave your stuff outside to be stolen. Here a courier will contact you first to see when you are home or you can go to the nearest drop station for the delivery company. I live in Saudi Arabia and shopping online has become huge especially with covid.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
I work from home so just keep peeking out ...EVERY 5 FRACKING MINS. My friend who lives in a ...not as nice part of Brooklyn ( to say the least) is having it delivered to me and will pick up later.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I'll be home and live in a building so it wouldn't be left outside regardless. If I were in that situation, I'd have the courier hold it for pickup or deliver it to a local pickup location.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
I'm hiring a private security firm to watch the roads most likely taken by the UPS delivery truck leading to my house. I've also have resources checking every traffic light and street cameras to monitor the truck. Along with state speeding cameras to make sure the truck isn't going over the speed limit for potential risk to damaging the system. I adopted 3 guard dogs to watch the left, right, and front of my house plus a coupe of hawks incase of threats from above.

Thinking of mounting those mini-turrets from goldneye that follow you everywhere you go - gotta check with my HOA if that's okay.

Working from home so I'll just wait for it

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I'll be chain vaping on the steps to my apartment. The complex is OK, but it has a community portal where residents report groceries, people accepting wrong food deliveries and even fucking sewing machines getting stolen. I might even wait for the delivery truck in my car. In reality though, I probably don't need to do any of that but better safe than sorry.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I live in a condo in Canada, so three things happen (with the pandemic rules etc); Canada Post puts it in the parcel locker, leaves the key in the mailbox (safe), Canada Post will come up and leave it in front of my unit door after knocking (safe since I live with my family and someone's always home), Canada Post decides to hold it at the post office (safe).

With Amazon and the Series X, they do the same; either put it in the parcel locker or leave it in front of the unit door (After knocking/taking a picture etc).

Since I will have tracking numbers, as soon as I see delivered I'll call my family to check the front door. If it's not there, it's in the locker.

sethcheek

Dec 4, 2017
Evansville, IN
I've worked from home for the last ten years, so this hasn't been an issue for me for a long time. I truly feel for the people that have to deal with this for all their valuable packages.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
I've hired an international team of assassins to guard the box, but more importantly I can't get one because I couldn't find a preorder

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fedex just delivered my $500 desk frame to a neighbor down the road on Friday. I'm lucky they are good people and brought it over

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Picking mine up in store because Australia and we're not plague ridden. That said our postman is shit, he just leaves stuff in his van for a week or two until it builds up, then comes out to the rural area where we live when he has to due to space. No post at all for two weeks now, expecting a shitload on Monday or Tuesday.

Wouldn't that cause complaints? What if you have time-sensitive mail?

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020

Unless a package specifically states that it requires a signature, no delivery service in the US will bother with trying for a signature. We're supposed to ring the doorbell and just walk away as waiting for a signature would add so many minutes and hours to the day/week that we'd never finish and if we had to bring back everything we didn't get a signature for we'd overrun the warehouse in like two days. Like, especially right now, we're operating at levels so far above where we should be for this time of year that Christmas is going to be a slaughter.

For my own work, I always leave boxes flush up against the house either behind something if that exists or just try to get it out of sight of the road. I've moved packages from other couriers closer because they're not taking that extra like two steps up to the house to get it there. If it's small it goes inside the screen door/storm door, if I can see a driveway that goes back behind the house I'll check for a back door because that's going to be safer. A lot of houses don't have that though and there's nothing else for it.

And now with COVID we're actually told to not really knock or ring doorbells or touch houses or anything at a customer location at all unless it does absolutely require a signature. At least with Express we're tracked every 6 seconds and it tags when we scan the package so if someone called and said hey, my package is gone, they can just check and see that yeah I was standing directly in this spot next to the house or if I'm a dumbass, hey I'm standing out in the street so who knows where it is. I don't know what Ground does for that but we're entirely separate companies.

I'd just watch tracking throughout the day. That's what it's there for. And I know the company I work for that I won't directly name is doing the delivery for Playstation Direct (I don't know if it's by Ground or Express though) so I know people will get tracking numbers for that.

Last edited:

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'll be working from home so I'll just work in the room near the front door.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Yeah. The delivery guy will call me on my phone to ask me to be ready to receive the package in 10 mins or so. End of story.

The last time a customer had my phone number through work they called me while I was on vacation to harass me asking where their package was and got extremely mad when I said I was on vacation so I had no idea.