• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
I want to get back into the Wii again. I sold the system fairly quickly after getting it back in 2008, because I wasn't all that into the motion controls and thought there weren't many good games. Now I'm interested in trying some games I missed (Mario Galaxy 2!), but also want to explore the more obscure and creative titles the system had to offer. I think I'm much more open minded nowadays and given the age graphics don't matter to me anymore either. While looking at Metacritic, I realized a ton of titles received really mediocre to bad reviews back then, although people seem to talk fondly about some of them (SSX Blur for example).

Which Wii games did you really like that didn't receive stellar reviews?

Bonus question: Any Japan exclusive games I should try?

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Disaster: Day of Crisis remains one of, if not my absolute, favorite games of the generation. I loved the light gun segments, the upgrading of weapons, saving people, slamming bigger than your head cheeseburgers, fire tornadoes, being a one man anti terrorist bear wrestling handsome son of a bitch who was having one hell of a day. Fucking great game.

And while it didn't review poorly, time has forgotten Boom Blox and that it was one of the most creatively fun experiences ever made. There should be a VR update to the franchise.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
That's interesting, because I would say a lot of Wii exclusives reviewed better than I'd have expected them too. Madworld, for example, scored an 81 despite being a pretty serious style of substance sort of game. That game feels like a vertical slice for a game that never got made. Fun and cool, but hard to say it's an 80+ game. Same with Spielberg's gaming experiments like de Blob and Boomblox.

I think Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (score: 79) is also worth playing, but I'd also say that score is about right.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if 72% is bad, but Excite Truck was a very, very good game.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
I don't think it reviewed badly OP, but you certainly need some Sin and Punishment: Star Successor in your life.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Elebits
220px-ElebitsCA.jpg

Was one of the most original game I have ever played and a really great launch game for the Wii.

Would be such a perfect game for VR, too.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Kororinpa and Mario Strikers Charged (though this didn't review terribly). I loved the gameplay in both and I'm pretty surprised we haven't seen a reboot for Kororinpa at least, considering HD rumble. Each year that passes I think...what are you even doing?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
440f59b95de24d8ed63792d367631247-98.jpg

I was gonna drop in and mention "The Munchables" but it looks like it's a 71% on metacritic, which doesn't qualify for the criteria of the thread I'm thinking.

RKasa

Jul 28, 2019
New Jersey
Opoona is mine; it has a 65 on Metacritic. Aside from a sub-par localization and so-so RPG mechanics, it's a very charming game and there's nothing else quite like it. For one thing, it's probably the only JRPG I've ever played where art appreciation is a noteworthy facet of the game. The characters are great, and the soundtrack, by Hitoshi Sakimoto's company Basiscape, is top-notch. It's the most niche JRPG on the Wii, and I adore it.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
51%2BzTg0IQ2L._QL40_SX400_.jpg

Extremely charming, colorful game. Amazing soundtrack and good bosses. Also had a level editor sandbox mode to just mess around for hours.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Agreed. Such a weird and wonderful game that focuses on a post apocalyptic world. I absolutely loved it. Could have done with a more interesting final area though, the bottom of the dam was kinda... grey.

What a touching game it was, a real gem. Felt to me like it was made as a form of "self expression", it had something, a feeling, a message to share, and it was powerful even though gameplay was limited.

OP
OP
Sahasrahla

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
it's a 71% on metacritic, which doesn't qualify for the criteria of the thread I'm thinking.

No that's totally fine! GameSpot gave it a 6/10 which is hardly a good score (considering the score inflation at least!).

51%2BzTg0IQ2L._QL40_SX400_.jpg

Extremely charming, colorful game. Amazing soundtrack and good bosses. Also had a level editor sandbox mode to just mess around for hours.

This looks cute! That you move the stage instead of the character reminds me of Super Monkey Ball

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Elebits
220px-ElebitsCA.jpg

Was one of the most original game I have ever played and a really great launch game for the Wii.

FUCK. YES.

This always felt like a spiritual follow up to katamari damacy. Things escalate and before you know it, you're throwing whole drawers and cabinets across a room. Making a mess is so much fun, I wish more games would encourage it.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Among games already mentioned like Elebits, the Excite games, The Munchables, and Dewy's Adventure, I really liked MySims Racing and We Love Golf. The latter has a 75% on MetaCritic, so it might not count.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
DISASTAH DAY OF CRISIS

Its such a lovely weird mish mash of genres and it worked. Sort off. One of the most fun games I've played.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
What a touching game it was, a real gem. Felt to me like it was made as a form of "self expression", it had something, a feeling, a message to share, and it was powerful even though gameplay was limited.

Yup. And one of the only times I'll say it - the hidden collectable items are actually worth getting. The stories each tell are almost as compelling as the main plot itself. I loved them.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
81apj6MblFL._SL1500_.jpg

Mushroom Men has a 72% on Metacritic. The game is a great little 3D platformer/adventure game and I don't see it get mentioned that often when Wii games get discussed.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Elebits
220px-ElebitsCA.jpg

This game was so fun and the funky soundtrack was dope. Everyone please listen to this, the bassline is like sex:

Another underrated game is WiiMusic. It was the best Wii-something, too bad the presentation killed it.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure I'd call that "not well" but PoP: The Forgotten Sands is criminally underrated and it was much better than the HD version; one of the best games in the entire franchise

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Batman the Brave and the Bold is super dope!
Another one I really enjoyed. Loved how the levels were each formatted like a episode of the series (complete with opening boss sections like the little intro segments the TV show had). Genuinely funny in places as well, its a solid action/brawler and a great use of the license.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers. 66 on Metacritic, but a very unique gameplay system and beautiful graphics.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii version of Ghostbusters was way better than the HD version.

Other mentions:
-Deadly Creatures
-Opoona
-Ultimate Shooting Collection

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Darkside Chronicles deserved more
images

Its not just a fun railshooter, but a total recreation of two beloved games with new cg cutscenes, graphics, orchestrated music (probably the best in the series)etc and a new chapter with Krauser, hell its more of an horror game than RE5/6 but at that point the fans were burned by UC and obsessed about the fact the Wii was weak to run RE5 they didn't give this gem a chance

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another one I really enjoyed. Loved how the levels were each formatted like a episode of the series (complete with opening boss sections like the little intro segments the TV show had). Genuinely funny in places as well, its a solid action/brawler and a great use of the license.
Yeah, I loved it.

Also Metroid: Other M is mostly fine outside of the story. I will die on this hill.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Dragon Quest: Swords was a really fun use of the wiimotes/nunchuck. I wish it got a sequel that leveraged WM+ and had more exploration.