• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
ASP was posturing as if he had bonafide knowledge, and then did a suspiciously-sudden about-face. regardless of whether his info was legit or not (maybe he indeed got heat for being too on the nose, e.g., Jackson's SORCERY being a direct inspiration?), i don't see how the mods couldn't ban him after he publicly announced that he was merely speculating after frequently presenting himself as an insider on this project.
With this being the case Is it safe to say that this new IP is influenced by the work of Jackson and Sorcery?
Or completely misguided?

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
With this being the case Is it safe to say that this new IP is influenced by the work of Jackson and Sorcery?
Or completely misguided?

We don't know but there are things in Sorcery that aligns itself with both Omni's hints and 4chan "leaks". Like "Titans" and a powerful artifact being stolen.

Astopolis

May 31, 2019
I love watching the silly videos people create and put up on Youtube doing wild stuff in these games and I can only begin to imagine what kind of wild stuff people will be able to put together with this title and its new systems and the many hours and journeys fans will spend immersing and fully projecting themselves into this world, playing the way they want to. Especially since this is easily From's most immersive world yet filled to the brim with secrets and stuff From has never done before in multiple areas.
Google Stadia ?

Clarification about members and insiders

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Since it keeps coming up, we'd like to clarify a few things about ASilentProtagonist.

This member has previously been warned/banned on three separate occasions for pretending to have insider information and refusing to back up those claims or ignoring staff who tried to verify his information.

Given the level of attention on this thread we put our foot down this time and demanded answers. ASP admitted that he has always been speculating and was never any kind of insider, so we asked him to edit his posts to make that clear here. Because this has happened so many times before, we also felt that a ban was necessary as well.

I don't know whether ASP just got carried away by excitement and attention, or whether he intentionally sought to deceive, but misleading members by emulating people like Omnipotent - who was very cooperative and provided evidence that they know what they are talking about - is not cool at all. I hope that clears things up.

Back on topic.

Nov 13, 2017
Is it weird that I'm not expecting Sekiro DLC? I'm sure I'm wrong, but I just feel like the game is tight enough as it is. Then again I thought the same about DS1, so who knows.

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: You know what, forget it, don't want trouble, you said to get back on topic, and I will.

Is it weird that I'm not expecting Sekiro DLC? I'm sure I'm wrong, but I just feel like the game is tight enough as it is. Then again I thought the same about DS1, so who knows.
I really want Sekiro DLC, but I guess I can understand if they just want to move on to the next project.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Few years ago there's this interview:
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/dark-souls-from-software-has-worked-with-expanse-co-creator

Since The Expanse was initially created as tabletop game, I guess Omni's tabletop hint is referring to Ty Franck as the writer.
I'd imagine it would be more about world building as well, because it doesn't fit From's dev style to have the writing done this early. Usually story comes last in their games, just because the levels, enemies and mechanics could end up informing the story, so they don't want anything set in stone before the gameplay is refined.

A good example would be that the fact that you can revive in Sekiro was merely a balancing consideration at first, but seeing how fundamental it is to the plot, you'd be forgiven for assuming it was there from the initial vision. But nope, they just added that because people were dying too much, and they didn't want enemies to do less damage.

Mar 11, 2019
Guildenstern said:
The biggest clue was given by Asilentprotagonist before Ban when he put a photo of Steve jackson sorcery, Miyazaki is a big fan. This is one of the game book that Miyazaki did not understand some words and filled the gaps with his imagination. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Jackson's_Sorcery! Sorcery is set in the world of Titan as you can read in the plot and there are many similarities with the words of Omnipotent ... Being a very narrative game I think here Martin comes into play ... in addition it is a very difficult game like all From games.
Looking more into Steve Jackson, it there does indeed seem to be many similarities, for example:

D&D : Deathtrap dungeon -> It's a trap-filled and monster-infested labyrinth where you'll compete against five other adventurers to collect certain gems, which are the key to escaping and winning the Trial.

Blood & Bones: referred to in Decarine description states: "This fabled land of gold, silver, and sacrifices owed both its rise and fall to its inhuman warriors.They applied face paint brewed from blood, giving them the strength of the gods, and carved up their own bones, crafting the weapons of the gods.Yet their legacy is neither here nor there." (meaning to me the game was not made yet). Bloodbones is also the name of one of his gamebooks, which mentions "set in the usual fantasy world of Titan ".

Steve jackson sorcery: It includes some aspects I thought about and mentioned when reading omnis hidden post: "it is possible for a reader to use the same character " complete with any upgraded abilities and equipment "
"to choose between playing as a warrior or a wizard "

Also Seeing admins post, it is not clarified if the information was false. Its best if someone (omni?) would clarify if what Asilent posted was simply guessing, or guessing with only part of insider information so we can put that to rest. I personally doubt they would take an existing IP.

fepeinado

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
Also Seeing admins post, it is not clarified if the information was false. Its best if someone (omni?) would clarify if what Asilent posted was simply guessing, or guessing with only part of insider information so we can put that to rest. I personally doubt they would take an existing IP
admin post just noted it was only speculation on his part. Seems pretty false to me.

Kunomori

Nov 1, 2017
The guy who used to say that Sekiro was Bloodborne 2 before its reveal is a fake insider? OMG

46482723-914713205554017-4832741937838555136-n-cke.jpg

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
so far,isn't this all past footage ? If the games they are showing are confirmed for appearence on E3,then yeah might announce Sekiro DLC.

Else,I think it's just showing cool stuff or probably using FROM's latest work,since they'll announce their new one

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Looking more into Steve Jackson, it there does indeed seem to be many similarities, for example:

D&D : Deathtrap dungeon -> It's a trap-filled and monster-infested labyrinth where you'll compete against five other adventurers to collect certain gems, which are the key to escaping and winning the Trial.

Blood & Bones: referred to in Decarine description states: "This fabled land of gold, silver, and sacrifices owed both its rise and fall to its inhuman warriors.They applied face paint brewed from blood, giving them the strength of the gods, and carved up their own bones, crafting the weapons of the gods.Yet their legacy is neither here nor there." (meaning to me the game was not made yet). Bloodbones is also the name of one of his gamebooks, which mentions "set in the usual fantasy world of Titan ".

Steve jackson sorcery: It includes some aspects I thought about and mentioned when reading omnis hidden post: "it is possible for a reader to use the same character " complete with any upgraded abilities and equipment "
"to choose between playing as a warrior or a wizard "

Also Seeing admins post, it is not clarified if the information was false. Its best if someone (omni?) would clarify if what Asilent posted was simply guessing, or guessing with only part of insider information so we can put that to rest. I personally doubt they would take an existing IP.

It is crazy how much you can actually gather from Sorcery if you reach hard enough.

Omni's
In a world that's lathered with old school inspirations that would have D.b.weiss & David benioff taking up a whole Tabletop to draw its lifeline and heritage.

Released as a series of game books between 1983-1985 (reader can participate by making choices) later released as a video game (mobile) which is described as a table-top RPG.
A_map.jpg

4Chan "leak" mentioning
"it begins following the disappearance of the kingdom's knights, who have gone out in search of "an artifact to give them an upper hand in the wars to come."

Sorcery!
"A powerful artifact known as Crown of Kings has been stolen by the cruel Archmage of Mampang Fortress. With it he will be able to gain leadership of the lawless and brutal region of Kakhabad and begin an invasion of surrounding kingdoms."

Titan is the name of the Fighting Fantasy world. It is where the majority of Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone's Fighting Fantasy books are set.

Here's Miyazaki receiving his lifetime achievement award by the two gentlemen themselves. I mean this is scary.

Jackson%2BLivingstone%2BGolden%2BJoysticks.png

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
THIS^
Miyazaki games always draw heavily from the fighting fantasy books, sometimes in not so obvious ways, but they are always pressent in some way or another
Cant find the source, but patches' appearence in bloodborne is straight up copied from an illustration found in one of the FF books, one that also happens to have a character named Gascoigne (and pretty sure other BB name...will search for it now)

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
THIS^
Miyazaki games always draw heavily from the fighting fantasy books, sometimes in not so obvious ways, but they are always pressent in some way or another
Cant find the source, but patches' appearence in bloodborne is straight up copied from an illustration found in one of the FF books, one that also happens to have a character named Gascoigne (and pretty sure other BB name...will search for it now)

so are they having proper game set in this universe or are they just drawing inspiration ?

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
^ Yeah, it's undeniable there's a connection. I'm curious to see what it's all about come this Sunday.

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
For the recoard, if the whole Fighting Fantasy gamebook turned out to be true, i called it 30 pages ago.
Also, in that book. Magic words were used to cast spells combined with single use items. Could this possibily be any indication of how magic will be handled in the next game. Think rune magic in Dragon's Crown.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
From reddit- https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/bwr8yn/the_e3_youtube_announcement_has_a_sekiro_clip_in/
Most probably nothing but Geoff Keighly edited this video as a tease to e3 2019 and it has Sekiro footage in it, making some people think Sekiro dlc will be revealed at e3.

I'm not expecting anything for sekiro. IIRC, the same thing was done where a clip of Sekiro was used in a game reel for the game awards last year, so I thought it was hinting towards a Sekiro trailer or something. Turned out to be nothing

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
The whole Sorcery! thing was sparked by the one user that can't comment on anything due to unfortunate circumstances.

Still so many puzzle pieces left like Martin. Keeping calm and open for the most, we are soon there.

giphy.gif

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
For the recoard, if the whole Fighting Fantasy gamebook turned out to be true, i called it 30 pages ago.
Also, in that book. Magic words were used to cast spells combined with single use items. Could this possibily be any indication of how magic will be handled in the next game. Think rune magic in Dragon's Crown.
Even funnier would be the fact that it was ASP who dropped that hint, meaning he wasnt lying but instead simply said too much but only refused to be verified like Omni lol. We'll find out in a few days yall.

Suppenseppel

May 31, 2019
So, according to "new systems" in the new title, what about the char- creation, develpmont and progression? Is there a new way refferred to "old school", like fixing skills (are there more attributes than Bb or less than DS?) and perks before start and or improving abilities during the game like Sekiro? I hope it's not to that restricted.

Could the setting be a hybrid kind of something fantasy with post modern and old weapons included?

Is Miyazaki more involved in the story than in Sekiro? Is he an actual writer?

Sry, English is not my mother tongue. And sry I'm late for asking questions.
Any final (reasonable) questions anyone wants to get out of the way?

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just would like to chime in here and say that I believe the user "asilentprotagonist" to have legitimate info. He has posted info on DMC5 and RE2 among other games (here and elsewhere) that turned out to be true. He has not spread misinformation in my experience. As someone who has never once gotten banned or even so much as a warning on either this site or NeoGaf over the course of many years, I stake my reputation on saying this dude is legitimate, and he should not have been banned.

I agree with this post. Asilentprotagonist been pretty on-the-money since I started paying attention to their posts before Sekiro, and I have to imagine that they are simply not in a position to get themselves verified. Once a leaker has been identified as such, they may not be in a position to, well... leak anymore. Asilentprotagonist had told me some rather specific stuff before that ended up being true too, and I simply cannot believe that to be a coincidence.

Last edited:

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
Chill guys, We might be jumping to conclusions here
Lets see... the actual connections are:
  • omni used the word Titan (a quite common fantasy noun) - the world of this FF book is called Titan
  • FF book has a mcguffin - 4chan leak claimed the game has a mcguffin (also another pretty common thing in fantasy)
  • Omni mentioning DnD, "tabletop" and old school inspiration - FF book being an oldschool RPG later turned tabletop
  • Miyazaki always drawing inspo from FF books
I dont think its as conclussive as some others mention
Why mention tabletop? The sorcery books being turned into a tabletop phone game isnt relevant as far as I see it.
If omni is indeed trying to point at the sole inspiration for this game, which is what some are thinking, then we need to look for an oldschool tabletop game that relates to dnd in some way

However, I feel like there cant be a sole inspiration for this new Fromsoft game, thus omni's hints dont necessarily relate one to the other

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I agree with this post. Asilentprotagonist been pretty on-the-money since I started paying attention to their posts before Sekiro, and I have to imagine that they are simply not in a position to get themselves verified. Once a leaker has been identified as such, they may not be in a position to, well... leak anymore. They've told me some rather specific stuff before that ended up being true too, and I simply cannot believe that to be a coincidence.
I'm going to assume you simply missed the staff post, so kindly read this and stop derailing. Thank you.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Why mention tabletop? The sorcery books being turned into a tabletop phone game isnt relevant as far as I see it.
If omni is indeed trying to point at the sole inspiration for this game, which is what some are thinking, then we need to look for an oldschool tabletop game that relates to dnd in some way.
Warhammer of course, same people behind it described as.

"Warhammer is basically the expanded mass-combat system of D&D. ... DnD scaled it down"

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
The real lore was the game we played along the way

Evidently a play on the "real _____ was the friendships we made along the way" trope, but any implication for the lore and/or (cooperative?) gameplay is beyond my petty level of insight.
Wildlife confirmed, I guess? And if so, why is this worth mentioning considering we faced off against wolves, dogs, and all manner of beasts in previous Souls games? Could the new game world feature ecosystems with even non-hostile wildlife? 🤔

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I feel that a dream situation/evolution for souls games would be a world alive with animals and dynamic weather day night cycles which are not just triggered by game progression. Maybe a world system closer to that of Breath of the Wild.

eldenjon

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2018
To me the more obvious things seem to be:
* There being dungeons, multiplayer coop and invading, fashion souls, level up and customisation of stats. Bosses in the dungeons. Tactical elements. High Fantasy. Scotland UK inspiration (from threadmark). New title but familiar with past games. Their largest game to date. Dynamic weather. Multiple major story paths (based on your choices), with plenty of side quests, which adds to the replayability. Characters will have facial expressions. They wont reveal everything at E3.
I don't know how you got all that from what's been teased. Particularly dynamic weather, facial expressions, and branching story paths based on decisions. I don't think FROM is developing an open-world RPG like Skyrim or anything like that. For one, those games spend the better part of a decade in development. For two, FROM is a very detail-oriented developer, preferring to make hand-crafted environments and meaningful mechanics over expansive, redundant worlds. For example, I don't think there would be a day-night cycle unless they chose to use night as an invasion mechanic. I don't think it would rain unless it meant the terrain was more difficult to navigate (flooding, slippery rocks, etc.). None of the Souls games have rain AFAIK. Maybe it's just me but I prefer the absence of facial expressions in DS/BB. Facial animations and voice-acting in games still leave much to be desired, and often ends up breaking the suspension of desbelief. The stoicism and austerity of NPC encounters seem intentional and an effective way to avoid that trap. Sekiro was OK in this regard (with Japanese audio), but keep in mind that it had a bigger emphasis on traditional story telling, the protagonist, voice-acting, etc. at the cost of character customization and online functionality. As far as branching story paths, I think/hope that you will be able to progress through the story/quests in whatever order you want, much in the same way FROM does it now. Think different endings, NPC quests, etc. but maybe more of them and potentially with a bigger payoff?

Last edited:

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Moles are cool animals. For animals that can barely see they sure do know how to get around

I don't dig this xD it's going too far underground. Buried by time and dust was this hint and it remains.

Is the digging/unearth/archaeology thing the hint we didn't acknowledge enough?

And I sure hope the game doesn't take mostly underground in dark caverns with your torch as the only light source, like a survival horror; to me that's not the From evolution I understand and want.

Ahzrei

May 21, 2018
Moles are cool animals. For animals that can barely see they sure do know how to get around

This sounds like "You're on the right track. Keep digging" to me.

Then again, what do I know?

There was a "rain or shine" line in the hype bomb, which I speculated earlier might mean weather cycles.

If this is Dark Souls of the Wild, it would surely make Omni's hyperbole about every dream he's ever dreamed coming true in this game fit. He said he has nothing left to ask for. This game has it all.

Unrelated, but I'm currently playing through Steve Jackson's Sorcery! ($5 on the app store!) and frankly it's awesome.