• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Whatever this game is, I do wonder if From will be using Unreal Engine 4 for this title, or if that's too soon, because a good while back they said they are learning Unreal Engine.

Of course I also wonder about the time frame this game could get released, if it is like many of From''s games, March/April, and if that's going to be 2020 or 2021.

Also wondering if this will be for current-gen (PS4, Xbox One and midgen upgrades Pro/X) or if it'll be next-gen (PS5, Scarlett) or cross gen and PC.

I'm thinking it'll be cross-gen and PC, FromSoft will want to reach the widest audience possible (like CDPR with Cyberpunk).

So even if the game releases before next-gen consoles come out, I think there will be versions on next-gen consoles, a bit later, with all sorts of technical upgrades as well as DLC, like DS2 SotFS about a year after DS2 on PS3/360/PC.

Looking forward to the reveal at E3. Thanks Omni!

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Omnipotent I think I read your message 10 times by now over the last few days. You sound like you were really happy writing and sharing it. Now I'm gonna be disappointed if it's not the best thing since sliced bread though. :P

Oct 25, 2017
I'm listening to Persona concerts while trying Sekiro's final boss on Level 1 over and over, and now I want a From game filled with vocal tracks like Persona or Nier.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Omnipotent I think I read your message 10 times by now over the last few days. You sound like you were really happy writing and sharing it. Now I'm gonna be disappointed if it's not the best thing since sliced bread though. :P
I can only hope everyone ends up as excited and pleased with it as I am. There's still stuff in the post people have yet to uncover (at least as far as I've seen) and there's plenty of cool stuff left to see and discover I didn't tease or just barely touched on. Can't wait for people to get their first real glimpse and idea of the new project at E3 and to see all the discussions that will inevitably come out of it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Other than combat, I've heard it's the exact same formula as souls games.
It's not at all the same. Combat is different, but also story telling (set protagonist, more straighforward story), movement (jumping), traversal (grappling hook, swimming, infinite stamina, stealth options), leveling mechanics (skill trees, prayer beads, etc.), single-player... it's not a Souls-like at all beyond the bonfire/Estus-like mechanics and an interconnected world.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can only hope everyone ends up as excited and pleased with it as I am. There's still stuff in the post people have yet to uncover (at least as far as I've seen) and there's plenty of cool stuff left to see and discover I didn't tease or just barely touched on. Can't wait for people to get their first real glimpse and idea of the new project at E3 and to see all the discussions that will inevitably come out of it.
Haha, yeah. There's always people who won't have their cup of tea served. So you're saying there's still something in that post?! Hmm.
Can't wait for it, either. I hope we get more than just a little teaser. Something akin to Sekiro's reveal trailer would make me happy. Looking forward to seeing you in there enjoying all the hype!

master_Willem

Dec 3, 2018
Fishing Hamlet

Might be a little out of context but do you know anything about the sekiro dlc ?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
It's not at all the same. Combat is different, but also story telling (set protagonist, more straighforward story), movement (jumping), traversal (grappling hook, swimming, infinite stamina, stealth options), leveling mechanics (skill trees, prayer beads, etc.), single-player... it's not a Souls-like at all beyond the bonfire/Estus-like mechanics and an interconnected world.

All of this and let me add sound direction too, usually Souls games only had music in the hub area and bosses (besides a few exceptions) but in Sekiro is everywhere and changes if you alert the enemies.

It's baffling when I see people saying it's another Souls game but what can you do...

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Is it bad I'm almost more curious about this "meta" thing of this thread than the actual game? Lol.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Not only that, he says there's more info on his post that nobody has mentioned...
There's that too! I'll give it another read later on, I think, although I doubt I'll catch anything. MS's presser can't come soon enough.

I wonder if the meta thing is the game being about unearthing old knowledge through writings and stuff like that, which is what we've been trying to do with the post lol.

OP
OP
Mifec

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
you've got traversal (grappling hook), stealth-kills, items to distract guards in order to reduce their numbers quietly, as well as combat skill tree and upgrades for your prosthetic.

it's not a 1:1 comparison, but there are enough similarities to make it non-superficial.
Arkham wasn't the first game that did this and I'm gonna go out on a limb she assumed what I did when she read your post and thought you were referencing the combat.

Ghost of Tsushima looks like Arkham :^)

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Arkham wasn't the first game that did this and I'm gonna go out on a limb she assumed what I did when she read your post and thought you were referencing the combat.

Ghost of Tsushima looks like Arkham :^)

My comment when watching the Ghost of Tsushima gameplay vid was quite literally "Arkham-Knight-style multiple person takedown" lol

I know that Arkham games weren't the first stealth games out there (though they may have been the first of that style that were big hits on PC? dunno about consoles, not my thing). But I've just found it an easy reference point to compare it to. Especially early on in Sekiro until you can level up your health a few times, there are encounters in Ashina Outskirts that play very much like a pure stealth game. Until you get to the mini-boss and have to fight for real after getting that first stealth deathblow in. That's what I meant.

Obviously the combat is totally different (and great). But the genre shift from an RPG to an action/adventure with some major stealth elements makes it (imo) a fair comparison. And I loved the Arkham games, so in no way was i trying to make it a negative comment.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Anyway. Re-reading

and thinking about the more creativity thing previous to the post and now I feel like I thought too much and like my head's inside a cage now.

Or maybe I don't understand some English made phrases. Or there's something more there about player creativity, persistence, design and lifelines and heritages and it's related to the new systems.

Or it's probably a smoke screen I'm reading too much into. It's late and I should be sleeping. Or at least reading other things.

bb-micolash-host-of-the-nightmare.jpg

(me, thinking too much)

Tam o shanter

Jun 2, 2019
I still have faith that From can replicate and even top the level and world design of dark souls 1. Either way, I'm going to play and probably enjoy anything they make.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
I still have faith that From can replicate and even top the level and world design of dark souls 1. Either way, I'm going to play and probably enjoy anything they make.
It's such a shame they never even tried to replicate that type of world design ever again. It was such an incredible and memorable experience playing ds1 for the first time. Omni saying that their upcoming game is the biggest interconnected world gives me hope.But then again Fromsoft said that Sekiro will have DS1 type of level design, and even though I like Sekiro's world design more than Bloodborne, it doesn't come even close to DS1 imo.

Tam o shanter

Jun 2, 2019
It's such a shame they never even tried to replicate that type of world design ever again. It was such an incredible and memorable experience playing ds1 for the first time. Omni saying that their upcoming game is the biggest interconnected world gives me hope.But then again Fromsoft said that Sekiro will have DS1 type of level design, and even though I like Sekiro's world design more than Bloodborne, it doesn't come even close to DS1 imo.
I know! I got so excited when From were comparing Sekiro's world design to ds1. I'm glad that it's not as linear as ds3, I was still massively disappointed that it was nowhere close to the complexity of ds1. At the moment I think I prefer Bloodborne to Sekiro but a potential expansion could bring it on par with Bloodborne for me.