• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
NwqsK.jpg
Look at Mr. Moneybags here.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
for snacks, homemade popcorns from a bag of kernels as they are cheap as dirt.
for a meal, the obvious ramen noodles plus egg and fried porkchops.
oven baked sandwiches can be pretty much cost saving as well.
canned chicken breast which is also good for salads.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Tuna and rice. Can make enough for two with just one can of tuna. Very good though. And cheap. Maybe add some corn, keep cheap.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Honey sandwiches.
Microwaved fried cheese.
Hot dogs but with flour tortillas instead of buns.
Instant spicy chicken ramen.
Canned chili (my favorite in this list, actually)

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
When I was a kid it was saltine crackers. Now its two fruit, usually an apple and banana. Always been poor. I have no kitchen so it makes things more difficult to be creative like you guys.

Nov 2, 2017
My old go to is what I called bachelor chow which was a mixture of Minute Rice with a can of cream of mushroom soup.

Now, the bachelor chow I make to remind me of the old times is done in an instant pot with sauteed onions, mushrooms, spinach, sausage or spiced beef or chicken or something as well as the mushroom soup and not minute rice as well as some broth of some variety to cook the rice properly. And it's actually pretty delicious.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
One mashed potatoes packet
Two hot dogs

Maybe a can of tomato beans if I was feeling fancy.

Two packets of mashed potatoes used to cost 10 NOK on sale. A packet of ten hot dogs cost 25-ish NOK on sale. Two cans of tomato beans cost 10 NOK on sale.

So:
Mashed potatoes: 5 NOK
Hot dogs: 5 NOK
Tomato beans: 5 NOK

15 NOK in total (with tomato beans), which translates to roughly 1,6$ using today's currencies.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Ramen with multivitamins. Some canned meat is cheap, then mix that with rice and whatever other cheap vegetable to use as filler.

Sep 17, 2018
Spagetti bolognese. With beans in it. Very cheap. During my college years. Though I never really had to really struggle. Always had a good budget. Only time I ever was without money I was younger and lived at home with my parents.
Friendly tip: next time try tagliatelle. Spaghetti are too thin for ragĂą alla bolognese, they are more suited for light sauces (spaghetti allo scoglio, alla puttanesca etc.), cream- (cacio e pepe) or oil-based sauces (aglio e olio). I mean, it's fine, but the original recipe is called tagliatelle alla bolognese for a reason: thicker egg pasta is more easily able to absorb heavy meat sauces than flour-and-water pasta.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My old go to is what I called bachelor chow which was a mixture of Minute Rice with a can of cream of mushroom soup.

Now, the bachelor chow I make to remind me of the old times is done in an instant pot with sauteed onions, mushrooms, spinach, sausage or spiced beef or chicken or something as well as the mushroom soup and not minute rice as well as some broth of some variety to cook the rice properly. And it's actually pretty delicious.

minute rice costs about 10x regular rice- if you're making a big lot at the start of the week you can reheat with whatever you're mixing. Bonus: cooked refrigerated rice is the magic ingredient for fried rice- so you can have more options. An onion, soy sauce and anything you can find and the struggle becomes a snuggle.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Back when tuna was cheap is was a tin of tuna mixed in with baked beans and cheese on a couple slices of toast.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Taco Bell was ridiculously cheap in the 90s. And Burger King and McDonalds had a lot of $1 sales too (whopper, fish filet, etc.).

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Crusty dough dipped in water.

Jk

Ramen with eggs and fresh vegetables I buy and cut or frozen burritos+ pizzas

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I've never really ate cheap meals because I was low on money, but I do know how to be frugal.

For me, it's pork shoulder roast. I always buy them in January when they go down to $0.99/lb (which is incredibly cheap for Canada). One roast can either make cubanos or pulled pork sandwiches for an entire week for 2 people. Also goes great on rice. I get somewhere around 20 meals out of a $10 piece of meat.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Chickpeas cooked on a stove top and then I'd season them with sauce packets I got from circle k. The one near my cottage in Arizona had 20 different flavors for the hot dog station. It was mind blowing the variety of sauces they had.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I once ate instant noodles for like 6 months straight every night. Gained around 20Kg.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just cook with what I have, I don't really make particular dishes very often, I just make food. But since I've been poor my entire life I guess every meal is a struggle meal? I get a lot of my food for free from different local food sharing and urban farm projects.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't consider this a struggle meal because I still make it to this day and enjoy eating it just the way it is, given that it's so filling.

I like to fry up chick peas with diced onions. Season all of it up with basil, paprika, pepper, garlic, Adobo, cumin, and whatever else I can find in the pantry. Takes only ten minutes. It's filling as hell and serves as an awesome side for other meals.

A can of garbanzo beans runs me .69 cents and one onion from a bag of six which I get for $1.49 makes the cost of this meal less than $1. I also typically enjoy having eggs, so for one breakfast meal I'll fry two eggs, which come from a container of 18 that costs $2.10.

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
On the campus, they used to serve tuna sandwiches, lettuce and slices of green olive practically for free (it was subventioned for poor students). It was the highlight of my day. As a student, you couldn't exceed a certain amount of work hours per year to get paid legally.
So most of my work was under the table, sometimes they don't even pay you.

Now when I open my fridge I don't even know where to start. I guess certain stigma are hard to disappear. I always buy more than necessary. But we throw away food! Never. I still make tuna sandwiches either saturday or sunday morning for the kids, they love it. One day they will know the story behind it :).

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Spam and Eggs ~50c for a dozen eggs and $2 for a can of Turkey Spam. $2.50 will give you a relatively healthy breakfast for a week and honestly it's pretty good I eat it even though I'm no longer on a budget occasionally.