• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
This past weekend I had a bean and cheese burrito: vegetarian refried beans, black beans, shredded 3 cheese Mexican mix, with lettuce, salsa and sour cream on top.

No guac :'(

The struggle is real.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Pretty much this.
indomie-png-5.png

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
Spicy Noodles:

Pasta
Butter
Louisiana Hot Sauce
Egg

I still make it sometimes cause it's freaking delicious.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
What are / were your struggle meals? In other words, what do you eat when money is low?

mine: rice with soy sauce, ramen

What are yours?

Black beans and rice. You can dress it up pretty nice and it's still cheap. I even still enjoy it today sometimes. Can of Black beans, can of rotelle, chop up some thai peppers (to whatever your spice tolerance is), chop up a bulb of garlic (a little less, and I guess less if you aren't as big a garlic fan as me), and put over rice. It's pretty good. And if you portion it right it can last a few meals too (for one person at least).

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize how poor we were as a kid but pretty much every food was a struggle food. My favorite was cheese sandwiches. Literally just two slices of bread with a Kraft single.

Sometimes we would eat fancy and put tuna and peas in macaroni.

Not gonna lie I sometimes make poverty food from those days for myself anyway because it's still delicious.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm filthy rich these days so I don't have struggle meals anymore BUT back when I was dirt poor...

I was super in debt, barely keeping up on rent, and had to really cut my budget because my roommate and I couldn't afford our oil bill that came... and I bought 20 cans of "ValuTime Chili" which was something like 0.10/can on discount at the discount super market if you bought 10 of them. It was fucking disgusting but I basically lived off of that for close to a month. THat's when I realized I needed to move home because it was no way to live.

But then I figured out some pretty good meals. Rice, beans, and a hot dog (w/ mustard) is a meal that will keep you going and costs so little for each meal. 1 cup of rice, half a can of beans, hot dog + bun (or no bun if it's a tight week), and mustard stays good for a really long time and it's not expensive. THis was my go to for a while and I loved it.

I'd also do buffalo chicken quesadillas. Take a normal flour tortilla, which is cheap (20 of them for a couple bucks maybe), and then the Tyson chicken patties which I Don't remember the price but they were cheap, you'd get 20 for $5 or somewhere around there. I'd use usually Ken's buffalo sauce because it went a long way with just a little (much further than frank's or the Spanish one), and then just a discount bag of mexican mixed cheese (probably cheddar + jack). This was more expensive than the rice & beans, but it wasn't an expensive meal, probably a little over a dollar or so to put each meal together and they tasted damn good. The buffalo sauce and the cheese were the only expensive parts, but again Ken's buffalo was like $3 for a salad dressing container of it and it went along way, weeks or months. The cheese would be the most expensive part, but you've gotta live a little.

I honestly kinda miss those meals... My wife doesn't let us eat hot dogs with any regularlity and she'd make some gross face if I went to make my buff chick quesadillas... but they were fucking good and cheap. SHe's so judgememental of all of the food that I make and will always come up with a reason for why she doesn't want to eat it, even when I make a pretty good meal, and then we'll go back to fucking cauliflower no-dairy pizza or something and it's like... ugh... there's no joy in this food and it's way more expensive than it should be for fucking cauliflower.

(btw, I'm not filthy rich)

OP
OP

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
Black beans and rice. You can dress it up pretty nice and it's still cheap. I even still enjoy it today sometimes. Can of Black beans, can of rotelle, chop up some thai peppers (to whatever your spice tolerance is), chop up a bulb of garlic (a little less, and I guess less if you aren't as big a garlic fan as me), and put over rice. It's pretty good. And if you portion it right it can last a few meals too (for one person at least).
Black beans and rice (at least the way my mom makes it) still makes my mouth water. And it's really simple, too.

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
White beans with brussel sprouts topped with parmesan cheese (3 euro)
Mujadara (5 euros for a week long meal)
White rice with fried egg and soy sauce packets nicked from the cafeteria (3,50 euro)

Oct 25, 2017
Hash browns and eggs. Costs less than a buck and quite filling.

Also if chicken leg meat is on sale (.79 a pound), I'll make a really hearty pozole verde that makes like 5 meals at like 1.50 a meal.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
There was a year in college where I shared an apartment with two other guys. One of them ate hot dogs and ramen every fucking day. The other two of us made hot dog & ramen jokes all the time. Now that I'm older, I totally understand and sorta feel bad about all those jokes we made.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Off-brand Mac n cheese and 98c packs of hot dogs. Also Ranch style beans with those same hotdogs. White rice and black beans

Oh and tons of eggs

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Living pretty comfortable now as an adult, but I remember as a kid we had some rough times. I remember at one point we lived in a Motel 6 and I had to eat cereal with powdered milk. Tasted like shit and not even the sugar from the cereal could save it.

We had a time where we couldn't buy bread, so my dad made me a bologna sandwich in the left over corn tortillas we had from El Pollo a month prior. Didn't help he smothered Miracle Whip all over the inside to make it taste better. It was so bad I cried eating that shit and couldn't go outside till I finished it.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ramen and bulk packs of store-brand mac and cheese. I still get mac and cheese packs every now and then these days even though I'm not cutting costs as much because I came to love them during that time.

Marengo

Oct 28, 2017
As a student in the 90's I enjoyed pasta with a boiled egg and salad cream. What was I thinking...

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Buttered noodles.

...which works for me because I actually like it a lot and still eat it regularly.

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Water and PBJ.

No really I went through that shit recently and it was amazing(ly bad for my soul).

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
When I first graduated college and moved to Columbus without a job I would just make grilled cheese every day. Sometimes with a little sriracha on it.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
When I was right out of college, absolutely broke and living with one of my friends, we would eat Velveeta shells and cheese or hot dogs pretty much every night. They were so cheap and could really fill you up.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Cook some top ramen, drain it, toss it in a hot frying pan. Crack an egg on top of it. Pour the seasoning packet on top of it. Grab some shredded cheese, (or tear up a kraft single) and toss that on top. Toss in the frying pan until it's all melded together into a disgusting-looking mass.
Fried Ramen. It looks horrible, but it's tasty and cheap.
I haven't needed to do it in years, but I still kind of like it, so I cook it about every six months.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Canadian classic.

Kraft Dinner.

Well it was until it went up in price. Now I buy the no-name version for 69 cents. Better then brand.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Everything and anything that could quickly be microwaved back in college.
Those 50cents ramen packs really helped with the budget.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Get a dollar loaf of bread and whatever I could throw on it.

I've ate many of egg sandwiches in my day.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I used to go to a Dollar General and buy a box of spaghetti and a can marinara sauce. It cost like $2 or $3 and I got 2 meals out of it.

I don't know why, but it always made me feel sad doing it. It shouldn't have, because it was just like buying spaghetti at any other grocery store. Maybe it was the fact that I did it repeatedly, so I felt like the workers started to recognize me and pity me.

Edit: I just remembered another meal I would get from Dollar General. I'd buy a bag of brown rice, a can of black or red kidney beans, and a can of diced tomatoes and make rice and beans with that. It probably cost $3 or $4, but the bag of rice would last me like 6 meals, and the cans of beans and tomatoes would make 2 meals.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019
Lets be real. If your struggle meal costs over 2-3 dollars to make, then it isnt a struggle meal. A struggle meal is like 1-2 dollars or less