• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Back in 2011 Turn 10 took the fight to Gran Turismo with Forza Motorsport 4 and made itself a serious content in the console racing sim world. It was the game to beat at the end of the Xbox 360/PS3 generation. (I still play it occasionally because pound for pound I still consider it the best console racing sim ever made.)

Since then GT Sport came out and made the playing a lot more even with updated car audio (even going as far as sniping the sound engineer from FM4) and fully detailed car interiors for every car to match their already good exteriors. Paired with their beautiful replay camera work and updated lighting the scale was tipped a little in GT's favor. Even Forza Horizon is starting to show up it's older sibling.

That said I think a racing sim for the ages is still within Turn 10's ability. If it ended up sharing a platform with Microsoft Flight Simulator that would make Xbox Series the one stop shop for people wanting to play these kind of games.

So here are my Top 3 features I think Forza Motorsport 8 need to tip the scales back in their favor.

1. Fix the steering animations.

I love to play in cockpit mode. It gives me that sense of immersion I look for in these kind of games. But one thing I started to notice more and more is how many revolutions on the steering wheel is needed to turn the car. Its a small feature but after playing GT Sport it's something I'm convinced is necessary to not break immersion.

2. Fix the car audio.

Even though Gran Turismo has been accused (and rightly so) of making their cars sound like vacuum cleaners they have improved with their latest whereas Forza has taken a step back with Motorsport. They got a lot of praise for FM4 and since then took the typically American approach of "Oh they liked it, let's give them more but bigger!" Now even the cockpit view instead of simulating what it would sound like as a driver wearing a helmet and possibly earplugs it simulates what it would sound like if you were a microphone taped to the inside of an engine bay or to the rear bumper above the exhaust.

3. Fix the replay camera.

Last but no least the replay camera. To put it bluntly Gran Turismo can look downright real at times. It's absurd. Normally the novelty of pretty graphics wears off after some time has passed or if a newer, prettier game comes out. That hasn't happened yet with GT Sport yet because of great camera work with their replays. Even after the excitement of driving is over the beauty hasn't. I mean look at the state of this.

That's it. Fix those things and Turn 10 will have a masterpiece on their hands.

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wanna see a more interesting campaign mode. Just a bunch of separate cups doesn't really cut it for me. I want a classic GT style campaign where I feel attached to my cars and to encourage me to tinker with them.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I'd love to see a coop campaign and proper multiplayer/online racing system and career system.

Outside of that a big growth in the engine, graphics and physics as they do.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Don't throw ten cars at my face everytime I do something and build an interesting campaign and progression instead. I'm pretty happy with the rest, but I feel the campaign has been terrible since... Motorsport 3?

Would be great to have a realistic damage model but I guess that's out of the question.

Nov 2, 2017
I'd like a real race weekend. For example, a practice session, then a qualifying session, and finally a race session. Similar to the F1 games.