• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've gotten in the Halloween spirit early this year, and I've already started watching horror movies over the past week, but I've found myself in a bit of a conundrum. I've watched all the best horror movies on Netflix already, and the three new ones I tried this week were all garbage. It's a similar outlook for both Hulu and Amazon Prime, too.

I want a proper scaring though, so I've decided to rent horror movies this year.

With the pool of movies to choose from basically expanding to every movie possible, I beseech you Era, please give me your recommendations for the scariest movies you've seen recently. My only restrictions are that the movies were released within the past 5 years, and that they aren't gorey movies.

Also, try to limit your recommendations to a top 3, if you can. For 4th scariest and below, I'd rather just wait for them to show up on Netflix or something.

Edit: When I say no gore, I mean no Saw-esque movies. A little bit of gore is fine.

Last edited:

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I found both The Witch and It Follows (this might be just over 5 years old) pretty scary personally.

People find different things scary though. Can you give examples of movies you thought were scary so we have a better sense of what your tastes are?

OP
OP

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found both The Witch and It Follows (this might be just over 5 years old) pretty scary personally.

People find different things scary though. Can you give examples of movies you thought were scary so we have a better sense of what your tastes are?

I only want to limit the suggestions to no gore. Other people might find the list useful too, so I didn't want to limit it for them (well, I guess people who like gorey movies wouldn't find this list useful).

Plus, I can be scared by a lot of things. It's more the quality of the movie that matters, in terms of whether I actually get spooked or not. For example, I found Insidious a little spooky, particularly that Victorian age lady, but then one of the movies I watched this week was Demonic, and it did absolutely nothing for me, despite being a very similar movie. Demonic was like a Wal-Mart version of Insidious.

So I'm looking for any type of scary movie, really. Just the best ones.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The Witch, The Babadook are very creepy and unsettling. I've never been "scared" by a horror movie but I do appreciate a creepy vibe.
The Witch has some gore though. Babadook does not.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
When you say no gore, do you mean no blood, or are you just wanting to avoid Saw-esque films?

Us and Get Out are great, but do contain blood. Hereditary is incredible, but it... goes places.
You mentioned you watched 3 recent films but they were garbage. What were they?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty rare to find a horror movie with absolutelty no gore. What about films that only have 1 or 2 gory scenes/shots but that's only a minor focus?

OP
OP

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When you say no gore, do you mean no blood, or are you just wanting to avoid Saw-esque films?

Us and Get Out are great, but do contain blood. Hereditary is incredible, but it... goes places.
You mentioned you watched 3 recent films but they were garbage. What were they?

Oh sorry, when I say no gore, I mean no Saw-esque movies.

The 3 movies I watched on Netflix were Demonic, Don't Knock Twice, and Truth or Dare. They all did absolutely nothing for me, and Demonic was the only one I felt was worthy enough to finish watching.

But don't recommend based on me. Recommend based on the movies that scared you the most, personally.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Oh sorry, when I say no gore, I mean no Saw-esque movies.

The 3 movies I watched on Netflix were Demonic, Don't Knock Twice, and Truth or Dare. They all did absolutely nothing for me, and Demonic was the only one I felt was worthy enough yo finish watching.

But don't recommend based on me. Just like the 3 movies that scared you the most, personally.

Okay, that's going to make recommendations much easier.

I've only seen the first season, but Season 1 of Channel Zero was pretty creepy. Believe the entire series is based on creepy pasta.

As for films I'd say Hereditary, The Ritual, and I might get shit for this but The Conjuring 2.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Annihilation. It's more creepy than outright scary, though it does have one standout horror scene. It divides opinion but I thought it was excellent.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Hereditary.

I got goosebumps for weeks even thinking about it. I want to revisit it, because it's an great film with some amazing acting, but every time I really think about it, I get terrified. Easily the most moved I've been by a horror film in my life.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
The witch and Hereditary immediately spring to mind . The witch is on Netflix and hereditary is free with prime

OP
OP

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, I guess I'll watch Hereditary. I browsed Amazon Prime, but nothing looked good to me. I guess I was going too fast.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I found Darling (2015) really unnerving and it stuck with me for a long time afterwards.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
The Big Short
Chernobyl (great TV series)
Annihilation (for some pretty uncomfortable scenes; Cthulu unknowable scariness)
The Gift (maybe)

SeriousCow

Aug 29, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Annihilation
Climax
Hereditary
Ghost Stories

Annihilation and Climax were probably my 2 favourite movies of 2018. The latter is a Gaspar Noe movie though, I know he's not for everyone.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hereditary for me. It's easily the most unnerving I've ever felt coming out of a theater.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Hereditary is the yardstick at this point.

I'll add Midsommar, which stayed with me long afterwards in a similar way.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
The Wailing. Great Korean horror movie, one of the best I've watched in the genre. Other obvious picks would be the witch, hereditary etc. like the others have said.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Under The Skin fucked me up. Incredible film. Since people have already suggested The Witch I'll recommend that. It's more the intense, unwavering sense of dread it creates than being outright scary, but it sticks with you.

I'll also cosign the Hereditary mentions, even though I liked Suspiria(2018) more.

The Ritual on Netflix is worth a watch as well.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Hereditary was not only great but genuinely anxiety inducing

The witch was a good film but not that scary

It follows was just disappointing

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Hereditary is two hours of dread and is by far the tippy top of horror for me over the past decade. Midsommar as a follow up was good, but never reached the same level.

The Devil's Candy has some creepy shit and one of the scariest scenes as of late though. Would recommend.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
Hereditary, The Witch, It Follows and Midsommar are all quality entries in the indie horror revolution.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hereditary has some pretty gory scenes, but it's great so watch it anyway

Try Inland Empire for something unconventional

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
The Inerasable is a Japanese movie from...2015, I think? and it's the last one I saw that proper messed me up. It's almost like a police procedural (like Law & Order) but each interview hits with ya with a creepy vignette. And then that builds to a thematically rich story that makes the horror much, much bigger. First time in a long time I lost sleep from the spooks.
Anyway, really incredible stuff that for my money is one of, if not the, best Japanese horror of the decade

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
V/h/s and v/h/s 2 are 7 and 6 years old but they are still really good.

It Follows is also good stuff. If you like the creepy Victorian lady from Insidious then the thing from it follows is slightly similar in how you get the feeling it's always just over your shoulder.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't take Truth or Dare seriously with that snapchat filter thing

My picks are

Oculus
The Babadook
Lights Out
The Conjuring 2
IT

Runners Up:

Hereditary
Annabelle Creation
Don't Breathe
Train to Busan

These were all released between 2014 and now. Ranked from 'no gore at all' to 'OH FUCK NO'

Lights out
The Babadook
The Conjuring 2
Oculus
Don't Breathe
Annabelle Creation
Train to Busan
IT
Hereditary

Hereditary, The Witch, It Follows and Midsommar are all quality entries in the indie horror revolution.
None of those are really all that scary though. Midsommar arguably isn't even a horror film. They're good movies, but I didn't leave them feeling unsettled or feel unsettled during them with the exception of Hereditary which does have some freaky shit in it.

Last edited:

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Witch, The Babadook are very creepy and unsettling. I've never been "scared" by a horror movie but I do appreciate a creepy vibe.
The Witch has some gore though. Babadook does not.

these 2 are the two that came to mind, didn't care to much for the babadook though because it was so frightening to me

The Witch is a modern classic tho

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
image.jpg

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Both Hereditary and Midsommar are awful recommendations if gore is off limits. Both of them have disturbingly gory sequences.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YqBHbef.png

Virtually all the action in the film takes place over the phone. So you hear stuff but you only see the protagonist in his call center.