• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should more underrepresented Pokemon get a chance for the spotlight in SwSh?

• Yes, these Pokemon deserve chance to get some fans

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Maybe a healthy mix with some series staples

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • A couple could come in as long as my faves are there

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • No, I'd rather stick with my usual Mons for right now

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Psyduck will reign

Votes: 13 15.9%

• Total voters

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
With the announcement that Sword and Shield won't allow any Pokemon that aren't in its regional dex to be transferred over, I initially found myself to be upset like many people. However, I soon cooled down since as someone who normally doesn't transfer Pokemon, it doesn't really affect me. I did soon begin to wonder though "Which Pokemon should get in over others?" The answer seemed fairly obvious to me: the ones that don't usually get a chance to shine otherwise.

That however raises the question of "Who are those Pokemon?" So I have spent the last week or so compiling which Pokemon are available in what versions and when they are obtainable. If they're obtainable before the main story is over, they're given 0 points; if available post-game or some alternate method (ie Mirage Areas in ORAS), they're given 0.5 points; if they're completely absent outside of events or alternate means (like PokeWalker or Dream World), they're given 1 point; for every game that was available prior to their creation, they're given 0.5 points.

I've split the list up by Generation, followed by the overall most underrepresented.

1. Venonat
  2. Ekans
  3. Porygon
  4. Omanyte
  5. Kabuto
  6. Weedle
  7. Ponyta
  8. Tyrogue
  9. Jynx
  10. Pidgey
ujMAxOH.png

1. Teddiursa
  2. Houndour
  3. Stantler
  4. Misdreavus
  5. Unown
  6. Larvitar
  7. Sentret
  8. Hoppip
  9. Qwilfish
  10. Shuckle
FpYang9.png

1. Zigzagoon
  2. Nincada
  3. Cacnea
  4. Duskull
  5. Poochyena
  6. Shroomish
  7. Slakoth
  8. Whismur
  9. Skitty
  10. Gulpin
21xVLEt.png

1. Glameow
  2. Stunky
  3. Kricketot
  4. Burmy
  5. Cherubi
  6. Spiritomb
  7. Snover
  8. Pachirisu
  9. Carnivine
  10. Starly
GiWRmJs.png

1. Munna
  2. Tympole
  3. Darumaka
  4. Yamask
  5. Bouffalant
  6. Heatmor
  7. Durant
  8. Patrat
  9. Purrloin
  10. Pansage
hqOYmA2.png

1. Bunnelby
  2. Skiddo
  3. Espurr
  4. Spritzee
  5. Swirlix
  6. Pumpkaboo
  7. Bergmite
  8. Scatterbug
  9. Litleo
  10. Helioptile
OieqPZq.png

• None of them, they all have the same amount of points
o8fxqH0.png

1. Glameow
  2. Stunky
  3. Teddiursa
  4. Houndour
  5. Stantler
  6. Bunnelby
  7. Skiddo
  8. Espurr
  9. Spritzee
  10. Swirlix
  11. Pumpkaboo
  12. Bergmite

Why is Tyrogue listed as Generation 1?
This list is done by Pokemon families for the sake of simplicity as if one Pokemon in the family is in the game, all of them are (usually) obtainable at the same stage of the game. For the most part this manifested itself fairly simply but for Tyrogue who is currently the only pre-evolution to merge two previously unrelated line, it got a little complicated and I chose him to represent the overall Hitmon line.

Why do games before a Pokemon's release only get half a point instead of a whole one?
I initially used a whole point for past games, however that was so hilariously overweighted toward newer Pokemon that Glameow, the current most underrepped Pokemon, just barely passed any Gen 7 Pokemon's point values.

What do the yellow squares mean?
The yellow square represent Alolan Formes. I was originally unsure of what their point value would be but ultimately decided that they were still worth full point as this chart is about tracking a Pokemon's representation.

Why aren't starters/legendaries on this list?
I considered Legendaries' exclusivity to be one of their features which is why I left them off the list. While I consider the same for starters, I did actually attempt to create a list for them, but using the current system didn't work as earlier starters actually gain advantage from the amount of games in-between their appearances easily surpassing the counterweight in place for newer Mons.

What are the averages for?
Mostly for my own curiosity, but the total average gives priority on the overall list with ties in points between Generations being resolved by whichever has the higher total average.

What's the most overrepresent Pokemon?
That's not what this thread is about but... It's Psyduck. He's idiocy has been a ploy all this time and you suckers have just kept feeding him attention. That yellow rat has nothing on him.

Thank you for reading and I apologize if there are any errors in my chart. I had an especially hard time of keeping track of Pokemon for B2W2 with how some areas were shuffled around from being main story in BW to post-game in B2W2.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
You're saying that in order to alleviate frustrations that not every Pokemon will be transferrable into the new game, Game Feak should focus mainly on Pokemon that players are least likely to own?

Brilliant.

This could maybe be a neat idea if it was accompanied by buffing those Pokemon in some way that would make them more playable, but as it stands I'm sure a huge majority of players would prefer they focus on Pokemon that are demonstrably more popular.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zigzagoon at the "top" of gen 3 is rather surprising to me.

Anyway, underrepresented Pokémon getting their share of appearances would be great. Reality is probably that the usual row of well known Pokémon will always be in while the niche one have to sit out one or two gens. Or three.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like a lot of these have more interesting evolution as well. Or are not that interesting to begin with like stanler

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Most of these are the ones I've been hoping get in the Galar dex just for a change of pace. But so far a lot of the ones they've shown are Pokemon that have been in the last 4 games.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Now, of these, which are already confirmed for Sword & Shield? Tympole, Bunnelby and Espurr I know are, off the top of my head.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's my problem with cutting Pokemon, I'm sure most of these won't be in the dex.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Shinx and Houndour lines are two of my favorites. I'm also surprised Larvitar is on the gen 2 list, since it feels like Tyranitar is a constant presence.

OP
OP
GoldStarz

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Zigzagoon at the "top" of gen 3 is rather surprising to me.

Anyway, underrepresented Pokémon getting their share of appearances would be great. Reality is probably that the usual row of well known Pokémon will always be in while the niche one have to sit out one or two gens. Or three.
It's kind of surprising, but at least one "early" mon from each Generation is in the top 10. Sometimes it's a bird or a bug instead but one of the three is one every list.

Now, of these, which are already confirmed for Sword & Shield? Tympole, Bunnelby and Espurr I know are, off the top of my head.

Larvitar
Duskull
Snover
Joltik (they're were a lot of ties for Gen V, I just cut it off at 10 but he's there)
Tympole
Bunnelby
Espurr
Swirlix
Bergmite

It's not a bad start tbh, even if most of them are from Gen 6.

The Shinx and Houndour lines are two of my favorites. I'm also surprised Larvitar is on the gen 2 list, since it feels like Tyranitar is a constant presence.
Tyranitar is somewhat consistent, but almost always saved for post-game, even in it's debut generation.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about Pangoro lately, and it deserves so much more with its awesome design. A very poor competitive 'mon. Give it a buff, damn it!

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Right??? Everyone and their mother would guess electric/dark. Luxray also seems to be a fan favorite, so how it hasn't been available since gen 4 is beyond me.

Back in that Reddit Survey poll for Favourite Pokemon, Luxray came in 21st overall.

The next pokemon that's been gone from the regional dex as long as Luxray has, in other words, last seen in Platinum (Discounting starters and legendaries since they've primarily been only in their regional dex), the next Sinnoh Mon on the popularity list that hasn't appeared since the regional dex is... Cherrim? And that one is at #413 on the poll. D/P/Pt Shinx beat at #103. Have no idea why Shinx has been ignored for so long.

Most popular Unova Dex pokemon that hasn't been in a regional dex since BW and BW2 is Galvantula at #117, thankfully Galvantula has already been confirmed for SwSh.

Most popular Hoenn Dex pokemon that's only been in the Hoenn regional dex would be Breloom at #62, had ORAS not happened, Breloom probably would be the champ, which is quite surprising considering how popular it's been in the metagame. Breloom has been in OU ever since Gen 4 and never left.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
For a Gen 1 Pokemon, Venonat not appearing in any non-remake game since Gen II (and only a single game since Gen V) is fascinating.

1. Glameow
  2. Stunky
  3. Teddiursa
  4. Houndour
  5. Stantler
  6. Bunnelby
  7. Skiddo
  8. Espurr
  9. Spritzee
  10. Swirlix
  11. Pumpkaboo
  12. Bergmite
Worth pointing out that there are quite a few Gen IV Pokemon that have the same score (10) as the ones ranked 6-12 on your overall top 12 list - out of curiosity, was there a reason you chose the Gen VI Pokemon for your overall list over the Gen IV ones?

Good breakdown overall though, I love a chart! Would be interested to see the same sort of thing for starters as I do wonder which gen has received the shortest shrift in reappearances (post-game gifts, etc.)

OP
OP
GoldStarz

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I think you accidentally put Tyrogue in Gen 1 :p
For a Gen 1 Pokemon, Venonat not appearing in any non-remake game since Gen II (and only a single game since Gen V) is fascinating.

Worth pointing out that there are quite a few Gen IV Pokemon that have the same score (10) as the ones ranked 6-12 on your overall top 12 list - out of curiosity, was there a reason you chose the Gen VI Pokemon for your overall list over the Gen IV ones?

Good breakdown overall though, I love a chart! Would be interested to see the same sort of thing for starters as I do wonder which gen has received the shortest shrift in reappearances (post-game gifts, etc.)
The are both answered in the FAQ, but Tyrogue is basically the rep for the Hitmons as the common link among them and Gen VI was chosen because overall that Generation is the least represented which was used to break the tie.

Back in that Reddit Survey poll for Favourite Pokemon, Luxray came in 21st overall.

[snip]
I was legitimately surprised by some of the less-appearing mons. There was several times where I had sworn that certain Pokemon were available in a game when they weren't and the inverse, too. Chinchou is a Pokemon I didn't think got much love because I genuinely didn't think about it that much, but it's one of the most regularly appearing Pokemon from Gen 2.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I'd like to see a similar list with the most represented Pokemon. Fucking Wingull #1 with a bullet.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, it's time to bring back my boy Carnivine.
250px-455Carnivine.png

I had nearly forgotten about this lovable little goofball.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
Sometimes I think GF intentionally relegates Glameow in such a way, for reasons I cannot understand. I expect never to see it catchable in a reasonable fashion ever again

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I was legitimately surprised by some of the less-appearing mons. There was several times where I had sworn that certain Pokemon were available in a game when they weren't and the inverse, too. Chinchou is a Pokemon I didn't think got much love because I genuinely didn't think about it that much, but it's one of the most regularly appearing Pokemon from Gen 2.

Yeah Chinchou gets in a lot but it's a Pokemon that's often put in inconvenient spots later in the game so I don't think it gets considered much for a team spot.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see a similar list with the most represented Pokemon. Fucking Wingull #1 with a bullet.

I know Magnemite has been up there, never missed a generation, there is only one game that you can't catch one of it's line in, and that is Pokemon Black (It's available in White Forest though).

Always in the main game as well. The one time it's Post Game was (bizarrely enough), Diamond and Pearl. Where it was a post-game swarm. This is the gen that introduced Magnezone, the last major thing the Magnemite line has really gotten over the past generations. It was weird.

Speaking of which, I think you need to update that chart accordingly, magnemite certainly wasn't missing in X and Y and was a Route 1 mon in Sun and Moon.

If Magnemite is back in SwSh and Shinx is not...

OP
OP
GoldStarz

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I thought about doing that, but I wanted to keep the thread more positive and I thought showing those would just cause a lot of negativity toward other Mons. There's enough of that in the Pokemon fandom already right now, I think.

Speaking of which, I think you need to update that chart accordingly, magnemite certainly wasn't missing in X and Y and was a Route 1 mon in Sun and Moon.
I updated the information in my sheet, but I probably won't change the charts out unless a number of mistakes are found. Thank you for pointing this out, though.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
I thought about doing that, but I wanted to keep the thread more positive and I thought showing those would just cause a lot of negativity toward other Mons. There's enough of that in the Pokemon fandom already right now, I think.
Good point and you're right. I'd still be interested in it though lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before but there's one Pokemon above all others that I hope is in Galar early in the game, and that's the Tyrogue. The Hitmons are NEVER available ingame at a convenient time. If you want say, Hitmontop on your E4 team you have to go completely out of your way to do so. Even in its native game.

OP
OP
GoldStarz

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I've said this before but there's one Pokemon above all others that I hope is in Galar early in the game, and that's the Tyrogue. The Hitmons are NEVER available ingame at a convenient time. If you want say, Hitmontop on your E4 team you have to go completely out of your way to do so. Even in its native game.
At the very least, it's nice to know that it's in the game since Bea's signature Pokemon is Hitmontop.

Maractus was also spotted in some new material and I know someone was looking forward to them being in the game, too.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, it's nice to know that it's in the game since Bea's signature Pokemon is Hitmontop.

Maractus was also spotted in some new material and I know someone was looking forward to them being in the game, too.
Omg I didn't catch that in the trailer. My wish is about to come true!