• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
61zUY4l2RbL.jpg
I member Folklore.

Love that game.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Alundra.

I love both Alundra games. 2 is very different but has its charm too.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Ape Escape, I hate that the series has been relegated to just minor cameos now instead of actual games.

I would probably throw in Sly too being that Sony dumped that immediately after the fourth game.

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
Cosmic Race
An early PS1 Japan-only release that was the Big Rigs of its day. No collision detection, stock assets, etc.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
220px-Shadow_of_Rome_cover.jpg

Remember this little gem coming from Capcom of all studios?

250px-GitarooMan.jpg

This game is rad. Sad rhythm game is basically dead outside of Hatsune Miku.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The Colony Wars games on the PS1 are talked about in shockingly small capacity relative to how well received and liked they seemed to have been at release.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Going with first party here:

PS4:
- Killstrain

PS3:
- Folklore

PS2:
- Jet Li Rise to Honor

PS1:
- Colony Wars

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
220px-Ehrgeiz_Pal.jpg

Ehrgeiz (ps1) and...

Yea...

Was just about to post this.
Great answer. This game was a million times better than it had any right to be
You're goddamn right. Game was ssx of mountain biking games.

Also:

s-l300.jpg

This game was fucking sick! Great multiplayer. It was on the same demo disc for downhill domination ps2 as well!

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
The correct answer is some Japan-only release that sold like absolute shit.

Yeah, this is the real answer. Something that never left Japan and is obscure even there. The PS1, PS2 and even the PSP have a lot of titles fitting this category

With all that said, it's not interesting to drop an answer like this or this or this. So I'm gonna recommend some forgotten titles that non-Japanese gamers can get something out of:

Poinie's Poin
I know what I just said about Japan-only titles, but this is worth bringing up since it's actually fully playable in English. Yes, despite not releasing in any English speaking regions, this PS2 game has a full English dub. The game itself also has a really, out there aesthetic too (I mean just read the dialogue on that thumbnail)

OreShika: Tainted Bloodlines
It's not the most obscure title posted in this thread, but it's still the Vita only sequel to a Japan-only Portable remake of a Japan-only PS1 JRPG, so it's quite niche... it's also still stuck on the PS Vita (why Sony, why did you not port this and the other Vita exclusives to the PS4). It's a shame it's not more known since it has a very unique gameplay conceit (you control a cursed, fast ageing family / clan, and you're basically fighting a villain over several generations)

The Yarudora series
This is the real obscure shit. So the Yarudora series is a series of animated visual novels and uh... that's basically it? They're not sequential, only really sharing a theme of amnesiac heroines. They really are just visual novels though the production values (with animated sequences and even anime-style openings) are impressive. These Japan-only games originally released on the PS1 and later got re-released on the PSP. Why am I mentioning this? Apparently the first game in the series, Double Cast, got a very recent fan-translation.The translation patch seems to be specifically for the PSP version but basically, it's now playable in English. I can't say much of the plot, but I know that it definitely *goes places*. I don't know if all the games are getting this treatment, but there is a subtitled playthrough of one route in the fourth game on YouTube.

Honorable Mention: Koukidou Gunparade March for the PS1. This game seems to be legit, but the only thing non-Japanese audiences got was the anime adaptation, so the series outside of Japan is remembered only for that

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
30634-legend-of-legaia-playstation-front-cover.jpg

I notice people tend to mention Legend of Dragoon a lot but forget the other "Legend of" game
I want a remake of this so bad

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
"Forgotten" is exactly how I would describe Shadow of Destiny. The gameplay's a bit rough and the graphics were nothing impressive, but I found the story quite novel for the time (travel in time and do absurd things to change the outcome many years later). It's also got one of the most memorable plot twists I've found in any game.

47132_256x367.jpg

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
It's Tokyo Jungle. Such a good game and Sony is just letting it die. They should be dragged out for a public shaming over this travesty.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Intelligence Qube (I've always known it as Kurushi & Kurushi Final) I believe they made a PS2 version as well, would love to see this puzzle game make a return.

ps1_intelligent_qube-120314.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Azure Dreams, I played the hell out of this game back in the day. I wish we would've had a sequel to it (the DS one doesn't count lol)

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
Primal on PS2. Gameplay and graphically, it still holds up today.

primal.jpg
It's so funny to suddenly see love for Primal after so many years. I recently went back into it when I was rummaging through my PS2 backlog. I was really surprised how much it holds up for what it was back then. (Not perfect, but still fun)

Words cannot express how much I enjoy the dated dialogue and style.

It's threads like these that make me a little sad that the days of affordably browsing through my local EB or Play N Trade and picking up a few random titles from generations past are long gone.

Last edited:

nasuknight

Nov 2, 2017
This entire thread is quite the journey, triggering quite a lot of memories. Truly showcased how JP-centric the PS1/PS2/PS3 eras were for many audiences.

Some more good examples are the Genso Suikoden (barring Tierkreis), Shadow Hearts, and Wild Arms.

Suikoden-suikoden-672687_300_356.jpg

shadow-hearts-trilogy_6147.jpg

WildArmsAll_3461.jpg.e05e21fe3b036b96ccfb6bb659438b05.jpg