• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm unaware how discussed it was here, but Bug Fables is by far the best game I have played this year. I honestly prefer it to the Paper Mario games it was clearly inspired by. It further develops TTYD's combat by swapping partners for more involved party members, has an incredibly well-realised world with a likeable cast of characters who all have solid arcs, and there is just SO MUCH to do with the amount of side-quests it has.

I know it launched last year but the Switch version came out this year and that's how I played it so imo it counts

Sep 14, 2018
I'm unaware how discussed it was here, but Bug Fables is by far the best game I have played this year. I honestly prefer it to the Paper Mario games it was clearly inspired by. It further develops TTYD's combat by swapping partners for more involved party members, has an incredibly well-realised world with a likeable cast of characters who all have solid arcs, and there is just SO MUCH to do with the amount of side-quests it has.

I know it launched last year but the Switch version came out this year and that's how I played it so imo it counts
Yeah I talked about it. It is so meaty, I didn't finish everything but I almost did and it took me 47 hours all of which was a joy to play.

I love the setting, the growth and relationship between the main characters, there's some very heartfelt moments(Leif's quest chain is such a standout). And the music, I can't get over how good it is.

There's something to be said for having an actually challenging hard mode available from the start with a bunch of extra rewards to help with it, and there's a lot of strategy available too that's always nice.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought the soundtrack yesterday thanks to this post! It's amazing, so thanks for the suggestion!

Falk WE GOT ANOTHER ONE

If you like the vs. 1010 track then I recommend checking out this fanmade mix, it's the only song where the vocals are directly linked to the boss attacks but they're not included on the soundtrack version.

I really liked the style of this, but it was short and lacked any sort of substance. I really wish it's gameplay matched it's aesthetic.

I didn't have a problem with the length since replaying the bosses on harder difficulties and unlocking the full skill tree gave it plenty of longevity, but the gameplay definitely could have used a little more polish. It was the first effort from a new team released during a pandemic, so I have no doubt they'll learn from the mistakes and do even better next time.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to see No Straight Roads getting love here too because I thoroughly enjoyed that game. I think gameplay-wise it's a lot of fun once you get past some rough edges, and the story, characters and visual design of the bosses carry the game just as much as the soundtrack. It's one of those games that you play and feel like the developers had a hell of a lot of fun making it

Yeah I talked about it. It is so meaty, I didn't finish everything but I almost did and it took me 47 hours all of which was a joy to play.

I love the setting, the growth and relationship between the main characters, there's some very heartfelt moments(Leif's quest chain is such a standout). And the music, I can't get over how good it is.

There's something to be said for having an actually challenging hard mode available from the start with a bunch of extra rewards to help with it, and there's a lot of strategy available too that's always nice.

I honestly just wanted to spend as much time in this world as possible so I more or less did everything. Then as I finished what I thought was the last thing, I discovered that there was an entire card game you could play with scanned enemies. I didn't bother finishing it but just the fact it was there was dope

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy to see No Straight Roads getting love here too because I thoroughly enjoyed that game. I think gameplay-wise it's a lot of fun once you get past some rough edges, and the story, characters and visual design of the bosses carry the game just as much as the soundtrack. It's one of those games that you play and feel like the developers had a hell of a lot of fun making it
What did you (and by extension others if you all see this!) play it on? I saw some comments about discrepancies between versions, but not sure if there is more parity now between them all. I'd love to play it on Switch as my main platform, but would also consider it elsewhere if the differences are relatively significant.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
What did you (and by extension others if you all see this!) play it on? I saw some comments about discrepancies between versions, but not sure if there is more parity now between them all. I'd love to play it on Switch as my main platform, but would also consider it elsewhere if the differences are relatively significant.

I played it on PS4. I'm unaware if it's been fixed now, but I believe the Switch version has a bug in it where one of the bosses doesn't spawn healing items, making it more difficult than it's supposed to be. I've not touched the Switch version myself so I can't compare

Falk WE GOT ANOTHER ONE

If you like the vs. 1010 track then I recommend checking out this fanmade mix, it's the only song where the vocals are directly linked to the boss attacks but they're not included on the soundtrack version.

As a lover of boy bands in my youth: thank you! XD

Oh cool! I didn't know Falk posted on here! Love your music in general and awesome job on the soundtrack!

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
My GOTY is probably Star Drift Evolution, a little low poly racer that beat out the genre competition via excellent handling, oodles of tracks and a very comprehensive online system. Also, despite being billed as isometric, the chase cam is fantastic. Cheap as chips, tons of fun. Epitome of hidden gem.

j_z

Feb 14, 2019

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Even though it originally released on PC last year, 2020 is my first introduction to the game...

A Short Hike

The experience is sweet and--as the title suggests--short, but also very satisfying. It leaves you wanting more, but in a good way...

Guess that's it for now. I"m sure there are others, but ASH is the clear standout off the top of my head. Back to studying...

MegaApple

Jun 20, 2020
India
It is INSANE how good this game has been. And this is only the first chapter.

(It's free, short and everyone should play it.)

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
There haven't been many surprises for me this year, so I am actually drawing a blank outside of Spiritfarer.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Murder by Numbers is a really good shout. Exactly what I hoped and expected from a game that mashes up Picross with an Ace Attorney style visual novel.
I've always been interested in AA but I typically only enjoy VNs when there is a lot of gameplay (more like adventure games I suppose). Is there a lot of interactive gameplay in the AA games? Is it mostly dialogue options or is there other stuff too? And, is Murder by Numbers the same or does it have more or less interactivity/gameplay? Thank you!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Treachery in Beatdown City is a turn based beat 'em up rpg (!) with good retro visuals and music:

It's currently on sale on Steam and the Switch eShop too!

I would also like to second
Ikenfell
Spiritfarer
Signs of the Sojourner
A Short Hike
Oh yeah, and have many people played The Last Campfire? If not, add that one to the list too!

Seriously, play these games. Plaaayyy theeeemm.

How are the puzzles in Campfire? I heard kinda mixed impressions.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Bug Fables!

Technically Nov 2019 but it released on Switch this year.

It's a really charming, wholesome turn based RPG very much inspired by Paper Mario of old. If it was any more inspired by PM it would be PM.

It has a challenging Hard Mode that brings all the gameplay systems together so that's what I recommend playing it in.

I went in thinking "Oh, bootleg PM" but it really stands on its own and is actually quite good. I only know of 2 other games that are like this, give it a try!

Have you played UnderHero? That's a PM-like and I absolutely loved my time with it. I'm eager to play Bug Fables, just waiting on a sale.

theaface

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been interested in AA but I typically only enjoy VNs when there is a lot of gameplay (more like adventure games I suppose). Is there a lot of interactive gameplay in the AA games? Is it mostly dialogue options or is there other stuff too? And, is Murder by Numbers the same or does it have more or less interactivity/gameplay? Thank you!

Murder by Numbers is a shorter VN game than most. There are 4 main cases and they all left along at a reasonable pace. There is dialogue, but I found it entertaining and engaging with well-written characters. As for gameplay, well, it's Picross! No more or less, really. If you like Picross, you'll enjoy it and if you don't, you probably won't! I happen to enjoy the two types of games it merges together, so wasn't surprised to find that I really liked the overall package.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
3 games that deserved more attention this year:

Huntdown

Absolute masterpiece. Fantastic pixel art (best I've seen since Katana Zero), amazing soundtrack, pretty much flawless gameplay, great bossfights, tons of references to 80's action flicks like Mad Max, Terminator, Blade Runner... just a blast to play from start to finish and there's not a lot in this that could have been done better.

Paradise Killer

Wonderfully bizarre, stylish, open world detective game in which you try to solve a murder on a secluded, synthetic island filled with lunatics and secrets. Had tons of fun exploring the island, collecting clues and investigating the mysteries surrounding not only the murder, but also the island and characters on it. Soundtrack is a standout as well, game has VIBES.

The Pathless

Playing this on PS5 at the moment (about 8 hours in) and enjoying it a ton. Feels like a mix between Journey, Shadow of the Colossus and Breath of the Wild (imagine Hyrule without combat, villages and characters, but gorgeous landscape, ruins, puzzles and platforming only). Gameplay can be a bit on the repetitive side occasionally, but I'm having a lot of fun solving the puzzles, traversing the beautiful world, marveling at giant structures and soaking in the atmosphere. Really great.

If I had actually played it (still waiting for the PS5 version), I'm fairly sure Ghostrunner would belong here as well, because everything about this game speaks to me.

CastanEdo

Nov 16, 2020
Hey! If you're a visual novel lover, but not like a big anime fan, here are some cool titles you might want to try that are set in a Fantasy/Medieval world and released (or partially released in 2020). They all have amazing visual style, great storyline, and made by small European indie studios (because for me it's important to support indies). They are either free chapters or free demos are available and I truly think they are worth you attention!

Errant Kingdom

Set in a high fantasy world drowned in political intrigue. You can choose your own path (nomad, knight, or ambassador), the game ain't pushing you to pursue a romantic route if you don't want to and the characters are truly stunning.

The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante

This narrative-driven text-based RPG actually grew out of a real-life roleplaying game.
You'll dive into a lifelong journey of the man set in a gritty world where a person's Lot (or estate) is determined at birth, while the gods are real and preside over the fates of men. Divided into chapters, the game keeps track of the player's deeds, the skills they acquired, as well as other overlapping circumstances that shape a unique plotline for each playthrough. Available for free on Steam, around two hours' worth of gameplay, and got 100+positive reviews from players.

Love the Guard be the King

You're the youngest child of a lesser bourgeois, raised in the castle, between the King's cruelty, the Queen's friendship, and Mathias's kindness. Great minimalist 'sketch' art style, lovely jokes, different choices to make. Can't recommend more!

6BikJD.png

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
How are the puzzles in Campfire? I heard kinda mixed impressions.
I thought they were just right. Like they weren't too complicated and I never had to use a walkthrough but at the same time most were challenging enough that it felt good to solve them. But everyone's mileage is different. If you're unsure, you can watch bits of gameplay videos to give you a better idea of what the puzzles are like because they all tend to be in the same overall style.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought they were just right. Like they weren't too complicated and I never had to use a walkthrough but at the same time most were challenging enough that it felt good to solve them. But everyone's mileage is different. If you're unsure, you can watch bits of gameplay videos to give you a better idea of what the puzzles are like because they all tend to be in the same overall style.
Thanks for the info! I'll check out a gameplay video for sure.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Last month I thought 13 Sentinels was my hidden gem of 2020, but then this week I played Spiritfarer for the first time. The gameplay loop of crafting, cooking and gathering all while sailing a boat is so relaxing.

SameDods

Feb 25, 2018
I absolutely loved Zniw Adventure, a retro point and click will lovely animations

store.steampowered.com

Zniw Adventure on Steam

Zniw Adventure is a hand-drawn point and click adventure game with a strong 90's vibe and cartoon animations. Play as Zniw - a yellow female dinosaur who is on a mission to find the ultimate gift for her mother's hatchday!

vgp

Oct 31, 2017
Spiritfarer for sure, One Step from Eden and Littlewood.
How hard is One step from eden ? I play hard games, roguelikes quite often but even from hardcore gamer, I heard this is sometimes too hard, with too many things to follow at the same time. It makes me hesitate.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I have a feeling Chronos: Before the Ashes might go unnoticed this year.

it was originally a VR game that preceded the incredible Remnant: From the Ashes, but has now been ported over to consoles.

It's a simple Soulslike, with slow deliberate combat and a really unique death/aging system and slowly exploring these shattered worlds is as compelling as ever.

I'd recommend to anyone who's a fan of the genre or of Remnant who wants a bit more of that universe.

Also +1 for Mortal Shell. It was a really excellent game that did not get the recognition it deserves.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Last month I thought 13 Sentinels was my hidden gem of 2020, but then this week I played Spiritfarer for the first time. The gameplay loop of crafting, cooking and gathering all while sailing a boat is so relaxing.
It's like the A Short Hike of this year for me. Absolutely chill vibes! I Am Dead also, very chill and from the Hohokum folks, so it's very wholesome despite being about...death. Spiritfarer and I Am Dead both about being ok with death. Hades, too!

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I second this, the writing is brilliantly funny and the puzzles are the right blend of taxing without being obtuse.

Check out the earlier games in the Ben there Dan that series too, more traditional point and clicks, with the same hilarious writing.

It seems that gamers that love it are fans of point & click games but fans of platformers don't find it appealing. I'm in the latter camp, the platforming looks to be nothing special.